In Perspective

ukbob

Caf's Coolest Rag n Bone man
With the results today and games I have seen in the Euros just how far are England NOT behind European teams?
I mean with a couple of changes in positions and tactics I feel that England could well have held their own against the likes of Spain and Germany.
I really don't think that we are as dire as some people and commentators make us out to be.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
To be honest, if it isn't one thing it is something else. something always gets in the way. England have some real shit that always gets picked and the day Gerrard and Lampard feck off out of the international team then thats the day England can possibly look for a brighter future. Same goes for any Liverpool donkey in the team.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
England lost to Italy the wrong way. They should have taken a leaf out of Germany's book.
what, by losing?

At the end of the day both teams lost. Wouldn't really make a difference in the long run. Woy will probably be gone by 2014.

ukbob

Caf's Coolest Rag n Bone man
To be honest, if it isn't one thing it is something else. something always gets in the way. England have some real shit that always gets picked and the day Gerrard and Lampard feck off out of the international team then thats the day England can possibly look for a brighter future. Same goes for any Liverpool donkey in the team.
Thats what I mean about changes. We have some very good attacking midfielders and that does NOT include Parker.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
With the results today and games I have seen in the Euros just how far are England NOT behind European teams?
I mean with a couple of changes in positions and tactics I feel that England could well have held their own against the likes of Spain and Germany.
I really don't think that we are as dire as some people and commentators make us out to be.
Playing the shite that Roy propagates we are. It is OK against mediocre sides when we have the better individual players but once we make the step up we are fecked.

Revan

Assumptionman
England are light years below best teams. Until they understand that to have a chance to do something in these games you need technical players, not big and strong ones they will win nothing. And it seems that they will never realize it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We are a way behind the top teams in terms of actually playing football, and thus giving ourselves the best chances to win games against the better teams, but considering we came within one missed penalty of beating Italy, and beat Spain in a friendly only a few months ago, to say we'd have no chance against any of them is silly.

Liam147

On Probation
Germany had one off day in two years. As Low said, you can't just forget all that work for one game. It;s why tournament football is so hard. England are a long way behind Spain and Germany, but in five/ten years, if the players are used correctly, England could mount a serious challenge.

The players are coming through, they need to be moulded and developed properly.

Bread

I do think if England has a long term plan, a system and created a team that could play together they could reach the levels Italy have this tournament. But sadly as none of the above will happen and the Youth training is still so far behind they will remain as shite as they appear to be.

beergod

You will be shit in summer tournaments until you learn to value possession.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
England have players (admittedly few) who value possession. Until the FA appoints a manager who aims to utilise these players then England will remain way off. A terrible cliche of themselves.

In these Euros we had no chance. If fit Wilshere would have been the key but nobody else can really do what he can. When he's back give him support from Carrick/Barry and suddenly you have a midfield that can keep the ball.

However it will take years for players like Cleverley, Wilshere and Rodwell to be the norm and not the exception. As of now there is too few, and whether those youngsters can become good enough is unknown.

Cold_Boy

England need to get rid of 4-5 players and give youngsters a chance.

Or else no hope.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
England do have the players in midfield capable of keeping possession and comfortable on the ball, if all are fit. Carrick, scholes and Wilshere I reckon would have been a great midfield three to have for the euros, but not one was called up (Wilshere because of injury). Even for next world cup it would be a huge improvement to have carrick, cleverley and Wilshere if everyone develops to how we expect them. They could potentially have a team of:
Hart
Richards jones Smalling cole
Carrick
Wilshere cleverley
Chamberlain Rooney welbeck

IMO that team could be a real contender, probably not for the world cup but maybe for the next euros in 4 years (change a few players). Most of them are young but get a good amount of playing time already for their teams, and are all comfortable on the ball. Only then will they have a chance to compete with the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy by actually playing proper football.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think England are that far off. Its not as much about the players as it is squad cohesion; the ability to play together as a team that they lack at the moment. Another couple of years of work under Hodgson and the availability of younger players coming through will be important for 2014.

MDFC Manager

Nope, all the 4 teams which got to the semis are way ahead of England. In fact the difference in quality is quite staggering, making Roy's achievement of getting to the quarters along with topping the group really laudable

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think England are that far off. Its not as much about the players as it is squad cohesion; the ability to play together as a team that they lack at the moment. Another couple of years of work under Hodgson and the availability of younger players coming through will be important for 2014.
It doesn't look that Hodgson is going to make massive changes. Same old players and again he's going with big strong players rather than players with good technique so it's difficult to see how England will do good in next tournament. Even worse, all people are happy with his work so he will not change that much, if England couldn't have passed the group stage that would have been better for them cause probably they will realize that changes are needing.