"In the derby, United played as if they were City's servants.’’ - LVG

stevoc

Louis Van Gaal criticizing another manager for playing (in his opinion) defensive football and saying he doesn't enjoy watching Solskjaer's United.

The man must have zero self awareness.

His United team were mind numbing to watch the majority of the time and he was obsessed with risk averse possession football.

edcunited1878

He's not exactly wrong, but even Pep has changed his ways as have Klopp.

Pep's tiki taka way worked with some of the best players in their respective positions across the league and world at Barca. He inherited top talent at City, and they won the league already before he came...then bought more. This year, City have had to rely so much on KDB while keeping a tight backline and possession based central midfield because he doesn't have a world class forward anymore as Aguero has been out and Gabriel Jesus isn't what they need.

Until you think you have all your players needed to play how you want to play, then you have to use tactics that will put your team in position to win.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I would listen to LVG talking about almost anything to do with football all day long, but in this instance this is somebody who failed to implement a successful style at United accusing somebody else of failing to implement a successful style. Not to be taken seriously at all.
I think he did implement a successful style near the end of his first season. Then, for some reason, abandoned it after 4 promising games. CIty, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa.

The way we overloaded the flanks (Blind, Young and Fellaini down the left, Valencia, Herrera and Mata down the right) combined with some intense pressing out of possession, Carrick dictating play in the centre, and just generally passing it around fluidly and with intent was a joy.

I'd love to know why he dropped said formation/style. It brought the best out of us as a team at the time.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Someone remind him of the even worse 0-0 against City under him

He speaks far too much shit for someone who caused the most damage to the team of all the managers post Fergie
He's just bitter. United teams put us to sleep under his management. His other points about coaching and formations are mute with the season so condensed. Easy to be a master tactician with hindsight.

Last edited:

redmanx

Sure his football was dull as dishwater but he was the last Manchester United manager to understand that United should be about Sex Dominance and not Sex Masochism. He took the game to United's rivals. Also, the last United manager to actually have a proper system, albeit a shite one.
Took the game to our rivals? Only if those rivals were camped along the flanks of the pitch.

redmanx

He's just bitter. United teams put us to sleep under his management. His other points about coaching are formations are mute with the season so condensed. Easy to be a master tactician with hindsight.
Van Gaal thought the United job would see him through into his retirement with a nice fat pension, now hes a sad, bitter relic trying to recall his former glories, but nobody is listening.

alexthelion

Forget the context around the man, what he is saying there is spot on. We are inconsistent, we do change the system constantly, we dont have a plan other than counter attack, and we do rely on individuals to drag us out of games.

He didnt work out here but it's obvious by now that Ole wont either. Just because LVG is saying it doesnt mean it's wrong.
Why is it obvious?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Perfectly fair comment.

LvG was the last manager we had who truly looked to go out and dominate the big games. Juanfield and the 4-2 City game at OT were sweet memories.

It went to pot in his 2nd season though, 0-3 at Emirates was a low point.
I remember that one well.
Schweinsteiger ludicrously used as the furthest forward mid?

Getting mullered early doors and did bloody well not to take a real hiding.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Forget the context around the man, what he is saying there is spot on. We are inconsistent, we do change the system constantly, we dont have a plan other than counter attack, and we do rely on individuals to drag us out of games.

He didnt work out here but it's obvious by now that Ole wont either. Just because LVG is saying it doesnt mean it's wrong.
To imply that’s always a bad thing is a very outdated view. Almost all of the top teams chop and change formations and approach these days. I still have major doubts about Ole but LvG’s implication that a team who changes approach from week to week is inherently flawed just confirms he’s the dinosaur we already know he is.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
To imply that’s always a bad thing is a very outdated view. Almost all of the top teams chop and change formations and approach these days. I still have major doubts about Ole but LvG’s implication that a team who changes approach from week to week is inherently flawed just confirms he’s the dinosaur we already know he is.
This was Fergie's MO for most of his time here, but apparently it's bad if Ole does it.

Sylar

I remember one point he put Fellaini up top and had Rooney and rvp in midfield

He also brought on a half injured player for Mata (who was the best in the match) to save us against Wolfsburg (and said player picked up a knock on that game)

He also played young up top didn't he?

Maybe I dreamt it all

Eddy_JukeZ

Van Gaal is coming off as very bitter for someone who was truly horrific during his time here.

His transfers set us back a good few years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm enjoying the Ole years more than any of the previous 3 managers. LVG in particular was so boring. Zombie passing was born under him.

Formations and personnel change but the system rarely does.

Plymouth Red

Out of curiosity, I just ran 'Louis van Gaal' through Google's Dutch to English translation tool and it came up with "Irrelevant knob".

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but what is a “system” other than formation and personnel?
Theres a lot more to it than just that. Its how we play in different situations and it's trained to become second nature, it cant be changed game to game.

Bojan11

Seems to be a lot of revision about that mini spell we have under LVG. Apparently to some it was best football we ever played since Fergie. We played better under Mourinho at times and definitely under Ole.

All I remember was hoof ball to Fellainis head and he would pass it to Young, who would cross. Mourinho worked it out when we met them at Stamford Bridge. We were helped at Liverpool that Gerrard decided to get sent off as soon as he came on at the start of the second half.

Any team that wants to dominate the ball doesn’t play Fellaini.