India politics thread

coolredwine

lameredboots

The picture and text he had tweeted was from a movie :lol: :lol: trust Delhi police to make clowns of themselves at each step

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Kanhaiya Lal, the tailor in Udaipur, beheaded on video by extremists who took offense at his stance on the whole Nupur Sharma fiasco. The two killers then posted the video of the beheading, their boastful confession after, and their cry to fellow 'brothers' to follow suit - on social media. Udaipur is rioting, govt has imposed curfew, and the internet is blacked out. BJP has come out with some powerful rhetoric branding the incident as terrorism instead of just murder.

I have two friends there. One needs to get his mom to hospital for insulin, the other is to fly to Germany today for a long stint at Amazon Berlin. Both stuck in their houses.

Suv666

Kanhaiya Lal, the tailor in Udaipur, beheaded on video by extremists who took offense at his stance on the whole Nupur Sharma fiasco. The two killers then posted the video of the beheading, their boastful confession after, and their cry to fellow 'brothers' to follow suit - on social media. Udaipur is rioting, govt has imposed curfew, and the internet is blacked out. BJP has come out with some powerful rhetoric branding the incident as terrorism instead of just murder.

I have two friends there. One needs to get his mom to hospital for insulin, the other is to fly to Germany today for a long stint at Amazon Berlin. Both stuck in their houses.
Horrible stuff.
BJP will make sure they extract every ounce of political mileage from this tragedy. Hope Bajrang Dal and the like dont get involved. It'll turn into a full on riot if they do.

What's going on in Udaipur? I haven't seen any news coming out of there because of the internet ban I guess. Is it bad there or are things under control?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Interesting thread on the SC judges who heard the Maharashtra issue yesterday :wenger:
Nice analogy for the court's role here:

But this wasn't just the court.
To be very clear, the MVA govt was an unnatural one and a perversion of the mandate, which was clearly for a BJP-led NDA govt. Neither Sena (demanding CMship despite their awful tally, and then going with the defeated Cong/NCP) nor BJP (trying to go with Ajit Pawar) respected that mandate.
Shinde is citing Hindutva, but it is clear (and some Sena MLAs have openly said) what an amazing job CBI and ED have done to make this happen. Fully transparent and brazen (withdrawing Ajit Pawar's cases overnight was an amazing highlight, then summoning Raut one day before the trust vote..) Finally you have money, and the cherry on the cake is the SC.

All wings of the ruling party, from police to business to judges, working together. Every opposition party should be taking notes if they ever get the Centre again (probably not for 20-30 years).

Suv666

All wings of the ruling party, from police to business to judges, working together. Every opposition party should be taking notes if they ever get the Centre again (probably not for 20-30 years).
You really think Indian democracy will survive that long?
When Yogi comes to power I expect all hell to break loose.

DM07

A full fledged riot in multiple cities with curfew needed in every city.
Don’t think that will happen. Muslims will play the ideal minority role accepting whatever humiliations the government throws at them and accept their roles as second class citizens. State governments will be takenover by the BJP (Rajasthan, and even Bengal eventually). Only Tamil Nadu and Kerala will probably remain unaffected.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Yeap. SC rulings are pretty much a combo of populist and politically partisan orders. Rarely do you see any order now days where the actual rule of law has been applied regardless of the public opinion or political consequences.

RedDevil@84

Don’t think that will happen. Muslims will play the ideal minority role accepting whatever humiliations the government throws at them and accept their roles as second class citizens. State governments will be takenover by the BJP (Rajasthan, and even Bengal eventually). Only Tamil Nadu and Kerala will probably remain unaffected.
Hindus, when triggered, are very well capable of killing each other over some other reasons.

Suv666

Yeah it'll be less of Nazi Germany and more like an apartheid state.

Nickelodeon

Bail denied for Zubair.

I would urge members of other countries to follow the case of Mohammed Zubair (AltNews co-founder) and judge if India can even pretend to be called a democracy anymore.

I know there have been many cases in the past as well but this one hits the hardest personally.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bail denied for Zubair.

I would urge members of other countries to follow the case of Mohammed Zubair (AltNews co-founder) and judge if India can even pretend to be called a democracy anymore.

I know there have been many cases in the past as well but this one hits the hardest personally.
I doubt anyone expected him to get bail. They'll pile on charges and he'll be in jail for years (including after BJP is gone), and will eventually be forgotten

Nickelodeon

I doubt anyone expected him to get bail. They'll pile on charges and he'll be in jail for years (including after BJP is gone), and will eventually be forgotten
Genuinely thought that his stellar work had made him big enough to escape anonymity unlike Siddique Kappan. But looks like he’s going that way.

Suv666

Genuinely thought that his stellar work had made him big enough to escape anonymity unlike Siddique Kappan. But looks like he’s going that way.
No Muslim is too big to entrap in India. Doesn't matter if you have a large following on Twitter or a superstar's son.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How many people genuinely know Zubair though? It's mostly the anti-BJP folks and a very small section of RW folk who are quite active on twitter? He isn't a mainstream journalist, none of the journalists primarily on online platform are.

DM07

Bail denied for Zubair.

I feel the same. Somehow Zubair’s arrest has hit me the hardest. The guy working so hard for the good of the country arrested on the flimsiest of charges along with the Udaipur murderer turning out to be a BJP member has made me give up on the country. How on earth are you supposed to fight against an organisation who can do this.