g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

India politics thread

MDFC Manager

Buying out MPs/MLAs after elections seems to be too expensive and too much of a hassle, so BJP is piloting a new approach - buy out opposition candidates on the eve of elections and get them to withdraw :lol: politics is a big fecking joke in this country

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Wasn't the caf 99% sanghi till very recently? Where did all you anti-nationals crawl out from?

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Wasn't the caf 99% sanghi till very recently? Where did all you anti-nationals crawl out from?
My last few posts are the exact same query across 3 years. Ok, the sanghis on here have moved on from internet forums to actually lynching people in real life.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thankfully this has been urban naxal safe haven for awhile now. I’m sure we’ll get some andh bhakt nutjob spouting nonsense soon enough.

DM07

Its weird because 99% of the people I meet in real life are sanghis. I literally crave the company of sensible people to discuss politics or the country in general.

amolbhatia50k

Its weird because 99% of the people I meet in real life are sanghis. I literally crave the company of sensible people to discuss politics or the country in general.
Yeah the situation in India is very very different. The idea of being against Modi and BJP here is seen as a rebellious or dare I say, extemist, one. It’s all quite bemusing when you are at family or office gatherings and saying you are so feels like you’ve offended their religion or personal belief rather than a bunch of shameless goons. I’ve just decided to be more open in such situations as bottling and watching your step requires far too much effort. It also gets them used to it.

I am grateful that at least my in-laws and especially my best friend shares my views, and I can freely discuss this stuff with them.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Not the 1st time there has been a report about this. Does anyone know why we care about Canada so much? Is it just Khalistanis?

This is easily the most communal campaign by Modi since 2002.

amolbhatia50k

Not the 1st time there has been a report about this. Does anyone know why we care about Canada so much? Is it just Khalistanis?

This is easily the most communal campaign by Modi since 2002.

A filthy party with a suitably filthy pair of “leaders” at the top. Modi’s speech on infiltrators and children summed him up.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
. @harms
I know Putin has been accusing many of his rivals of corruption and jailing them. Of course he killed Navalny in jail for "corruption", but even before that I think he was accusing other minor figures of nonsense, excluding them from ballots, etc.
My question was - do people buy that excuse? Or is it just accepted as part of the system? Do they think there's any merit in those cases and the court convictions?

Asking because Modi has arrested the entire top leadership of the Delhi state govt for corruption (today, adding terrorism to it), and wanted to guess what our great public will do with that information :)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
. @harms
I know Putin has been accusing many of his rivals of corruption and jailing them. Of course he killed Navalny in jail for "corruption", but even before that I think he was accusing other minor figures of nonsense, excluding them from ballots, etc.
My question was - do people buy that excuse? Or is it just accepted as part of the system? Do they think there's any merit in those cases and the court convictions?

Asking because Modi has arrested the entire top leadership of the Delhi state govt for corruption (today, adding terrorism to it), and wanted to guess what our great public will do with that information :)
Depends on who you ask. There this universal formula “the tsar is good, it’s boyare (nobility) who are responsible for all bad stuff” that Putin often exploits. If something goes wrong, he takes one of his subordinates and pins a corruption charge on them, which is what recently happened with the deputy minister of defense, Ivanov. And it works like a charm as they’re all are genuinely corrupt and people perceive them as such.

With Navalny it was a bit different since he was never an official figure. I doubt that many even in general public ever thought that the economical charges against him were justified — even Putin’s apologist usually accepted that Navalny was jailed for opposing him (but they thought that it was a good thing).

He did use a similar premise against Khodorkovsky in the 00’s, which was another case of him getting rid of a potential political opponent. But he was also pretty smart about this since Khodorkovsky became an oligarch in the 90’s through privatization, which was rightly seen by the general public as basically stealing public resources.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Depends on who you ask. There this universal formula “the tsar is good, it’s boyare (nobility) who are responsible for all bad stuff” that Putin often exploits. If something goes wrong, he takes one of his subordinates and pins a corruption charge on them, which is what recently happened with the deputy minister of defense, Ivanov. And it works like a charm as they’re all are genuinely corrupt and people perceive them as such.

With Navalny it was a bit different since he was never an official figure. I doubt that many even in general public ever thought that the economical charges against him were justified — even Putin’s apologist usually accepted that Navalny was jailed for opposing him (but they thought that it was a good thing).

He did use a similar premise against Khodorkovsky in the 00’s, which was another case of him getting rid of a potential political opponent. But he was also pretty smart about this since Khodorkovsky became an oligarch in the 90’s through privatization, which was rightly seen by the general public as basically stealing public resources.
Thanks!

For this first part, I realised something funny. Even though we have more opposition parties, and together they are much stronger than what Putin has faced, and even though Modi's party is a long-established party that used to be much bigger than Modi himself... our govt is in a way more centralised. It will be hard for Modi to blame anyone else in govt since most of them are non-entities. Within his party, most state-level leaders have been sidelined, while national-level leaders have either got very old/dead or are now supporters.
All credit (there's no blame, but if there ever was...) goes directly to him.

I hope that people at least see these corruption charges against the Delhi CM as a fiction, like they apparently did with Navalny. A parallel between the two is that this guy also made his name as an anti-corruption crusader.

In another parallel, the establishment that Modi replaced was badly corrupt, and that fueled his rise. Though half the people he used to call out by name are now allied to his party (the law is "taking its own course" in their corruption cases, of course :lol: )

More broadly I was trying to figure out this situation where a very popular leader takes over from unpopular and corrupt but relatively "liberal" leaders, and people still have some faith in institutions (courts, press) that are now fully compromised. And Putin taking over after 90s Russia and then consolidating was the one parallel I could think of.

MDFC Manager

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
was just re-reading the start of this thread. enjoy a good laugh for the first ~15-20 pages.

e - saw my post perfectly predicting BJP sweep in UP in 2017 (right after demonitisation) while the hardcore bhakts weren't confident, and also predicting the unexpectedly tough fight in Gujarat...blessed with the power to only foresee only bad or meaningless things :lol:

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

was just re-reading the start of this thread. enjoy a good laugh for the first ~15-20 pages.

e - saw my post perfectly predicting BJP sweep in UP in 2017 (right after demonitisation) while the hardcore bhakts weren't confident, and also predicting the unexpectedly tough fight in Gujarat...blessed with the power to only foresee only bad or meaningless things :lol:
:lol:

Whats the outlook this time? Grapevine suggests dear leader is being undermined by internal forces(shah, Yogi, rss..?) to ensure that he wins, but is cut down to size a little bit. I don't personally but this but whatever.

amolbhatia50k

:lol:

Whats the outlook this time? Grapevine suggests dear leader is being undermined by internal forces(shah, Yogi, rss..?) to ensure that he wins, but is cut down to size a little bit. I don't personally but this but whatever.
The only undermining I see is of the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the public and of course all the pillars of democracy that have been demolished like BJPs favourite mosques.

I can see them getting less seats this time around due to some efforts of the opposition, SC rulings, notable social media influencers (thank feck for this) and Modi himself showing himself up through revealing his true colors. But it won’t be enough - the public has been re-educated over 10 years to think the BJP’s way so they can be trusted to act based on misinformation and bigotry. In the end, if people want to burn their brain cells and moral compasses, this is the wank government they deserve.