India politics thread

iKnowNothing

I don’t think anyone is going to be brave (foolish?) enough to predict anything other than a BJP win in 2024. Just their hold in Hindi heartland (plus Gujarat and MH) is enough for them to get a simple majority.

2029 when BJP might have to appoint a successor to Modi is when some of the cadre might break rank and give some opening to the opposition. But then the opposition has no clear plan or a leader they can bank on, so even then it’s a toss-up.

RedDevil@84

2029 when BJP might have to appoint a successor to Modi is when some of the cadre might break rank and give some opening to the opposition
Yogi will take over. And the IT cells would just replace Modi pics with Yogi pics and call him tiger who eats his opponents and the followers will jizz in excitement.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yogi will take over. And the IT cells would just replace Modi pics with Yogi pics and call him tiger who eats his opponents and the followers will jizz in excitement.
I think this election proved that this is likely to happen.
Previously, state elections were usually around state issues, CM, incumbency, etc.
Since 2014, BJP has tried many times to contest a state without a declared CM face, and has always done worse as a result. They did it again this time, even sidelining the one sitting CM (Shivraj).
In terms of incumbency, Congress had won Raj and Ch with 39% and 43% voteshare each. This time, they got 39.5% and 42%. There was no anti-incumbency, which is quite surprising in most elections in India. In fact, I looked back and this is the highest vote share Gehlot has won in Rajasthan since at least 2003.
I haven't read ground reports much, but these governments and CMs did not seem that unpopular, and while Shivraj is personally popular, there was supposedly some sentiment for change in MP.

So how did BJP win?
Even as Cong maintained vote share in all 3 states (including MP, which they "won" in the last election), BJP votes consolidated massively. BJP gained 13%(!) in Ch, 8% in MP, and 3% in Raj. I think Yogendra Yadav suggested a switch in tribal votes, which is probably a big factor, but still doesn't explain the scale of the defeat (or how Cong could keep its overall share intact).
I think it means that people are willing to vote for BJP as their natural party even if there is no external wave (Modi, change/anti-incumbency, riots). Modi is still their trump card, and those voteshares will increase 5-10% in Lok Sabha because of him, but these elections show that the machine works without him too.

Congress v BJP is like Jose v Pep encounters, outdated machine still can create a surprise but is clearly a generation behind the new stuff.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think anyone is going to be brave (foolish?) enough to predict anything other than a BJP win in 2024. Just their hold in Hindi heartland (plus Gujarat and MH) is enough for them to get a simple majority.

2029 when BJP might have to appoint a successor to Modi is when some of the cadre might break rank and give some opening to the opposition. But then the opposition has no clear plan or a leader they can bank on, so even then it’s a toss-up.
Delimitation in 2026 effectively means that South does not matter, and if you win UP emphatically, you basically win the elections

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
These kattar /trad hindus online are a different level. apparently some of the new ram statues are being made by muslims, so...

but it just shows how much having a right wing govt can shift culture to the right, more and more

RedDevil@84

These kattar /trad hindus online are a different level. apparently some of the new ram statues are being made by muslims, so...

but it just shows how much having a right wing govt can shift culture to the right, more and more
So confused. What's the problem now? The artisans or the temple?

RedDevil@84

muslim contamination of the temples because these guys worked on it, i guess
Interesting. Hinduism is notorious for cleansing rituals. But these idiots would not know or care because it has never been about Hinduism anyways.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
141 MPs suspended due to mimicry. Feels like we’re headed towards a last real general elections in 2024. When the media and narrative is state controlled, population brainwashed and ED / EC / other machinery working to serve one party, the system is well and truly broken. And given the current situation, it also looks like they’ve realised they’re now at a point where they can get away with pretty much anything and they’re acting like it.

DM07

141 MPs suspended due to mimicry. Feels like we’re headed towards a last real general elections in 2024. When the media and narrative is state controlled, population brainwashed and ED / EC / other machinery working to serve one party, the system is well and truly broken. And given the current situation, it also looks like they’ve realised they’re now at a point where they can get away with pretty much anything and they’re acting like it.
Yep. 2024 will be the end of India as a democracy. The Indian Penal Code completely dismantled and new laws bought in to replace them without any debate. The committee to select election commissioners is now going to be decided by the ruling government (directly going against the remarks of the supreme court). And complete impunity displayed in matters like Manipur, and the wrestlers’ molestation case, shows that BJP understands their votes are not going anywhere and they are supremely confident of winning. Am really surprised by no international pushback at all. An India under a fascist dictatorship isnt going to be of any help to the west.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
And complete impunity displayed in matters like Manipur, and the wrestlers’ molestation case, shows that BJP understands their votes are not going anywhere and they are supremely confident of winning.
It's a good point. These are not issues that they need to be so rigid about - could easily do the right thing without costing them much, and maybe even gaining some support (women are a strong base for Modi, Manipur is only 2 seats, and that wrestling chief is influential only in 1-2 districts of UP, a state they will sweep anyway). But they are so sure they have probably 350-400 in the bag, they don't even bother.

amolbhatia50k

I know some of you are abroad but for those who are here, the absolute deluge of political propaganda / jerking off and sheer noise surrounding the Mandir’s consecration has been disturbing to say the least (but not expected at all). Really does feel like one has stepped into some alternate reality out of a work of fiction where everyone has collectively lost their marbles.

Among that, theres been a drive for RWAs of colonies to make arrangements to celebrate this as well. Saffron flags are being put up everywhere with each (not literally) house trying to out-bhakt the other with a bigger flag. They even put up a few on the Gurdawara in my colony. There was apparently a “yatra” in our colony yesterday but thankfully I was out and avoided it. Finally, this morning I had the pleasure of having to listen to insanely loud music at 7AM this morning blaring from two floors above which is completely acceptable “cos religion” I guess. Oh how could I forget the cool dudes who were riding bikes in my in-laws colony shouting JSR.

MDFC Manager

I know some of you are abroad but for those who are here, the absolute deluge of political propaganda / jerking off and sheer noise surrounding the Mandir’s consecration has been disturbing to say the least (but not expected at all). Really does feel like one has stepped into some alternate reality out of a work of fiction where everyone has collectively lost their marbles.

Among that, theres been a drive for RWAs of colonies to make arrangements to celebrate this as well. Saffron flags are being put up everywhere with each (not literally) house trying to out-bhakt the other with a bigger flag. They even put up a few on the Gurdawara in my colony. There was apparently a “yatra” in our colony yesterday but thankfully I was out and avoided it. Finally, this morning I had the pleasure of having to listen to insanely loud music at 7AM this morning blaring from two floors above which is completely acceptable “cos religion” I guess. Oh how could I forget the cool dudes who were riding bikes in my in-laws colony shouting JSR.
Used to be just the gormint, now replace that with "country" in the below:

MDFC Manager

Poignant given today's also the 25th anniversary of the murder of Graham staines and his kids.

RedDevil@84

So glad I am not in India for this one. Would have said something wrong and become a target.

Suv666

Never seen celebrations like these tbh
Hindu Rashtra is well and truly here.

BJP got the next 10-15 years easily in the bag, Modi and co have become literal messiahs.

Suv666

BJP got the next 10-15 years easily in the bag, Modi and co have become literal messiahs.
Man i need to feck off from here as soon as possible

AshRK

Even without this they were winning the 2024 anyways but this just cements the fact that they are here to stay. And then to add a seal to it you have zero opposition with Rahul at the helm of that.

Suv666

:lol: Did you just reply to yourself?

But yeah it really is bemusing how the nation has managed to deify this clown and his scumbag party.
yeah editing posts is a pain in the ass in safari, its more convenient to just reply.

Yeah every year I feel like shit, people have to be tired of this inane bs by now but they manage to take it up a notch.

RedDevil@84

yeah editing posts is a pain in the ass in safari, its more convenient to just reply.

Yeah every year I feel like shit, people have to be tired of this inane bs by now but they manage to take it up a notch.
Not if you believe in the propaganda that Hindus were being wiped out prior to 2014. Not if you believe that India was being humilated and sidelined by the world prior to 2014. Not if you believe economy was in shatters prior to 2014 and is good now.

amolbhatia50k

For them it’s not inane bs but victory over the enemy, a celebration of their religion and a reason to gloat over their perceived superiority.

The worst thing is how easily it has become ingrained in our society. Drawing room / dinner table family discussions especially among the aunty and uncle demographic have been transformed into hyper nationalism, exaggerated Hindu pride, Muslim and obviously Modi love-in.

As always, bad leaders bring out the worst in people. If this is the situation in 10 years imagine what this place will be like a decade later.

Suv666

If this is the situation in 10 years imagine what this place will be like a decade later.
Hopefully I would be able to leave this country before Yogi starts the next level of discrimination against Muslim in a decade or so.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
One could have written that exact sentence as an over-the-top satire of Western campists, but they just say this stuff openly now :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hard to keep track anymore, but in the past months, that's
2 ex-CMs (Kamal Nath, Ashok Chavan)
1 CM candidate (Sidhu)
1 dy CM (Ajit Pawar)
1 ex-union minister (Deora)

It's hard to even see what some of these people are getting. Chavan was the only Congress Maharashtra Lok Sabha MP to win in 2014 during the Modi wave, in a seat Modi personally campaigned in, he lost narrowly last time due to vote-splitting... and is going to RS?? That's the retirement home, he doesn't even want to fight to regain his sure-shot LS seat??

Kamal Nath and Scindia had been fighting for years and years in Congress to be CM, they are now both in a party where they are competing not just with each other, but with a popular ex-CM that BJP dumped out of spite, and a new CM chosen by the high command.

At least Ajit makes sense, with all the cases that magically vanish whenever he switches, whether it's for 3 days or for life. And Sidhu, like Nitish, does this for fun.

But the internal feedback in Cong must be awful. The party will soon be Rahul alone in some UP village and Sonia in a cancer hospital.