India Tour of South Africa

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Made some mistakes today. Some pointers from today's match -
- The decision at the toss was wrong. You have to factor the weather in. It will be a big factor in WC in Eng next year so hopefully we will learn from this.
- We were 30 runs short in the end given our position after 35 overs. If Dhoni is going to be in the team no matter what then he has to bat at 4. It is clear that he needs at least 30 balls to get his innings going and needs to come in middle overs for the same. It means we will have to drop Rahane but I don't see another realistic solution.
- In addition, as it stands our lower order looks weak. We are too reliant on Pandey to be the big hitter at the end overs if the front 3 are not there.
- We need 6th and 7th bowling options. Jadhav if he plays would be one but Kohli either needs to start bowling a bit himself or start grooming someone else as a part timer for more options.

Moby

Dick
Made some mistakes today. Some pointers from today's match -
- The decision at the toss was wrong. You have to factor the weather in. It will be a big factor in WC in Eng next year so hopefully we will learn from this.
- We were 30 runs short in the end given our position after 35 overs. If Dhoni is going to be in the team no matter what then he has to bat at 4. It is clear that he needs at least 30 balls to get his innings going and needs to come in middle overs for the same. It means we will have to drop Rahane but I don't see another realistic solution.
- In addition, as it stands our lower order looks weak. We are too reliant on Pandey to be the big hitter at the end overs if the front 3 are not there.
- We need 6th and 7th bowling options. Jadhav if he plays would be one but Kohli either needs to start bowling a bit himself or start grooming someone else as a part timer for more options.
That post sounds so formally written. :lol:

freeurmind

weak willed
Klaasen was brilliant. Nice to actually win a game, the whitewash was looking dead on given the way the Proteas have been playing. Think Kohli batted at the toss just to give his team some practice defending totals. SA should def try wearing pink at the next World Cup.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Typical. 280-290 is all we'll get.

Its been along time since I enjoyed India in ODIs. As good as Kohli and Rohit are, they bore the living shit out of me with their incredibly effective style.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
South Africa's team selection in batting was horrible. Phehlukwayo at number 7? Really? And then followed by Rabada. I understand that they were testing their team for the World Cup but atleast try to maintain a sensible batting order that can be practical in the future, it would be like Loew saying he's 'testing' for the World Cup by playing Hummels as an AM in a 2-6-2 formation.

This SA team is on the decline in ODI's, they have unearthed two quality young bowlers in Rabada and Ndigi to take over from Steyn but from a batting perspective, they look very weak in non-batting friendly conditions, especially against spin. Since 2014 they've lost 10 of 14 matches against Pakistan (lost 2 out of 2) and India, both teams with spin heavy attacks.

MichaelKorleone

Since 2014 they've lost 10 of 14 matches against Pakistan (lost 2 out of 2) and India, both teams with spin heavy attacks.
If I remember correctly, 4 of those were in ICC tournaments (2 in 2015 WC Aus and 2 in 2017 Champions Trophy Eng) where SA are generally poor and I don't think the results are purely down to spin heavy attacks. Other 4 are in current series which everyone regards as terrible. They lost two close matches in 2015 India tour but won the series 3-2. Mind you, they were on 17 match winning streak before this series including 5-0 vs Aus, 5-0 vs SL, 3-0 vs B'desh.

Amla, QdK, Faf and AB can play well vs spin - Amla's been getting out to fast bowlers, QdK (who has amazing record vs Ind) was in horrible form throughout (injured after 2nd ODI), Faf scored a century in the only ODI he played and AB came back from injury (got out to Pandya both matches and didn't face spin much). Duminy is neither here nor there when it comes to playing spin. Markram, Klaasen, Phehlukwayo are still new to the team. If the top order's not contributing much, it puts lot of pressure on middle and lower order - I feel only Eng are capable of scoring well without top order contributions since they have hitters throughout. Ind face the same issue if none of the top 3 play well.

SA have a problem playing wrist spin - but the effect is probably slightly exaggerated due to mitigating circumstances. It seems surreal now, but India's ODI bowling attack is very very good.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stopped watching when they were 160 for 4 and needed around 100 in last 15 overs.

Looks like one more good performance by spinners. ODI series win in South Africa is a great achievement.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa managed to set India a measly 204 to win the 6th ODI. The way South Africa have played in this ODI series, I'm of the view that if they don't win the next World Cup, it'll be due to them not being good enough, not choking. They look a fair way off winning their first World Cup.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why dont India rest a couple of more players since the series is over and play a few more youngsters? Its a throw away game anyway.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Why dont India rest a couple of more players since the series is over and play a few more youngsters? Its a throw away game anyway.
India must be desperate to win this series 5-1. Maybe India want have a core group of players playing together and being successful together with an eye on the World Cup. Building depth would do them no harm though.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
India must be desperate to win this series 5-1. Maybe India want have a core group of players playing together and being successful together with an eye on the World Cup. Building depth would do them no harm though.
Thats more than a year away. Its plenty of time to find that core.

MichaelKorleone

Considering India only ever won 4 times in bilateral ODIs in SA for last 25 yrs, it comes as a big surprise that they won 5 matches in this series alone. Virat Kohli might be a bit better than everyone - highest scorer in test series and also ODI series. The stats look ridiculous when one considers he's scored more runs than Dhawan and Rohit combined in this series, who are 2nd and 3rd highest scorers in 6 ODIs. Nearly twice the runs as previous Indian record - 285 runs by Ganguly in 1999/00. Also becomes the first ever player to score 500+ runs in any bilateral series. SA batting maybe a bit weaker but I thought their bowling options are the best they could come up with, considering the situations (Abbott going Kolpak etc).

Been a marvelous series so far as an Indian fan even though it'll take a while to get rid of all the historical scars in SA.

AshRK

I still feel we (india)missed a chance to win the test series too. With proper warm up matches and not some silly sections, we would have won the series. Let us not forget the first match India lost by 70 odd runs chasing 208 only.

Anyways this tour so far has been a good one for India. All this home track bullies nonsense has been put to bed to some extent. Beating SA in SA in any formats is not an easy job. Last time SA lost a ODI series like this was in 2002 to a ponting led Aus. Shows how great this Indian side can become and even with the WC next year.

MDFC Manager

still feel we (india)missed a chance to win the test series too. With proper warm up matches and not some silly sections, we would have won the series. Let us not forget the first match India lost by 70 odd runs chasing 208 only.
This.

freeurmind

weak willed
SA have been crap in limited over cricket ever since what happened in the WC semi against NZ. Senior players, coaches and selectors all don't seem to be that bothered with it unfortunately. Will be stunned if we make the semi-finals of the WC next year.

kps88

Dhawan looked great. Dhoni and Pandey were too slow at the end.

Traub

Considering India only ever won 4 times in bilateral ODIs in SA for last 25 yrs, it comes as a big surprise that they won 5 matches in this series alone. Virat Kohli might be a bit better than everyone - highest scorer in test series and also ODI series. The stats look ridiculous when one considers he's scored more runs than Dhawan and Rohit combined in this series, who are 2nd and 3rd highest scorers in 6 ODIs. Nearly twice the runs as previous Indian record - 285 runs by Ganguly in 1999/00. Also becomes the first ever player to score 500+ runs in any bilateral series. SA batting maybe a bit weaker but I thought their bowling options are the best they could come up with, considering the situations (Abbott going Kolpak etc).

Been a marvelous series so far as an Indian fan even though it'll take a while to get rid of all the historical scars in SA.
We (SA) lacked real leadership in the ODI series, so our bowling suffered as a result. I think the 5-1 win is much more of an indication of where SA cricket (at least the limited over type) is atm than the quality of India's time.

Having said that, no doubt in my mind that Kohli is the best batsman in the world right now.

MDFC Manager

Unadkat playing with his shirt not tucked into his trousers. Oh dear.. old man Gavaskar is going to go off on a rant at any moment now :D

Kazi

SA have been crap in limited over cricket ever since what happened in the WC semi against NZ. Senior players, coaches and selectors all don't seem to be that bothered with it unfortunately. Will be stunned if we make the semi-finals of the WC next year.
Mainly cause AB hasn’t been playing much

freeurmind

weak willed
Mainly cause AB hasn’t been playing much
Big part of it but not all. AB not playing doesn't explain the poor fielding, strange selections and poor performances. We haven't just been losing in recent years in LO cricket, we've been getting trounced regularly.

MichaelKorleone

We haven't just been losing in recent years in LO cricket, we've been getting trounced regularly.
Out of interest, what's your ODI record like in last 3 years since 2015 WC? I know you've won 17 straight ODIs at home and apart from 2-1 loss to England last year (which was extremely close with 3-run loss or something in final over), I can't remember SA losing any bilateral or triangular series. SA have long been poor in ICC tournaments not winning a knockout match in a decade except vs SL in 2015, but they are usually extremely strong in bilateral series.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
SA need to be sacking Otis Gibson. Chris Morris at number 8 in T20 is a travesty.

AshRK

Ipl has massively helped India in limited over formats. Bhuvi has become a far better bowler, players like chahal, pandya, kuldeep , Iyer, bumrah, pandey have all become prominent because of ipl. I feel it will only become better and we will see more quality players. Looking forward for this year's ipl