Indonesia searching for 53 crew aboard missing submarine

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

https://www.todayonline.com/world/i...ubmarine-after-failure-report-back-exercise-1

JAKARTA — Indonesia's navy is searching for a missing submarine with 53 people on board that went missing on Wednesday (April 21) and is seeking help from neighbouring Australia and Singapore in the hunt, the Indonesian military chief told Reuters.

The German-made submarine, KRI Nanggala-402, was conducting a torpedo drill in waters north of the island of Bali but failed to relay the results as expected, a navy spokesman said.

"We are still searching in the waters of Bali, 60 miles (96 km) from Bali, (for) 53 people," military chief Hadi Tjahjanto told Reuters in a text message.

The military chief confirmed that assistance in the search for the submarine and missing crew members had been sought from Australia and Singapore. He said that contact with the vessel was lost at 4.30am on Wednesday.

Representatives of the defence departments of Australia and Singapore did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The 1,395-tonne KRI Nanggala-402 was built in Germany in 1978, according to the Indonesian cabinet secretariat's website, and underwent a two-year refit in South Korea that was completed in 2012.

Indonesia in the past operated a fleet of 12 submarines purchased from the Soviet Union to patrol the waters of its sprawling archipelago.

But now it has a fleet of only five including two German-built Type 209 submarines and three newer South Korean vessels.

Indonesia has been seeking to upgrade its defence capabilities but some of its equipment still in service is old and there have been deadly accidents involving in particular ageing military transport planes in recent years. REUTERS
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/world/i...ubmarine-after-failure-report-back-exercise-1

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah that's no way to go.
Absolutely terrifying if they knew what was coming and were bracing for it but you would imagine that the actual event would happen in the blink of an eye. Well, you certainly hope it would anyway :(

Carolina Red

Staff
Sorry guys, what do you comments mean?
In a live torpedo drill the submarine / submarines that are at sea are firing live torpedoes in drills. If an accident happens then or if somehow the torpedo locks onto the sub that fired it, you're toast.

The depth issue deals with how deep a submarine can go before the water pressure causes it to implode. If the sub suffered a power failure or began taking on water and started going down, in water that deep, the submarine would be crushed.

MDFC Manager

In a live torpedo drill the submarine / submarines that are at sea are firing live torpedoes in drills. If an accident happens then or if somehow the torpedo locks onto the sub that fired it, you're toast.

The depth issue deals with how deep a submarine can go before the water pressure causes it to implode. If the sub suffered a power failure or began taking on water and started going down, in water that deep, the submarine would be crushed.
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds horrific.

bsCallout

How do you know this stuff?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I study military history & stay up to date on current military policy & technology topics.

:lol:
Those two scenarios were described in very short order in the book / movie.

Like you, I also love to dork out to military history & technology, especially modern / current versions of such.

Carolina Red

Staff
Those two scenarios were described in very short order in the book / movie.

Like you, I also love to dork out to military history & technology, especially modern / current versions of such.
Oh no doubt. Definitely part of the plot.

Other bad stuff that coulda happened includes something going wrong with the ventilation / oxygen system, which I think is what killed off a crew in a Chinese diesel sub back around 2000.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Funny thing is that we probably came within a couple hundred feet of each other with some frequency in the late 00s well before our Caf life.
I bet if you ever crossed paths now you'll both have this sixth sense type of situation. I'm sure we have all crossed path many times with Caftites but totally unaware.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Oh no doubt. Definitely part of the plot.

Other bad stuff that coulda happened includes something going wrong with the ventilation / oxygen system, which I think is what killed off a crew in a Chinese diesel sub back around 2000.
I can just imagine the terror. Hopefully we are all wrong and they are found safe. Fingers Crossed.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I bet if you ever crossed paths now you'll both have this sixth sense type of situation. I'm sure we have all crossed path many times with Caftites but totally unaware.
No doubt in a major / larger city.

But this was in a speck of a town in a part of this country that is slightly antithetical to our held political beliefs.

There was a good chance that we probably lived within a walking distance of each other as well in said uber-red town.

Basically what happened to the Kursk. Live fire exercises are a dangerous business, even if it's not an armed torpedo.

I seem to remember the Americans detected that explosion. Interesting to find out if they saw anything here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Basically what happened to the Kursk. Live fire exercises are a dangerous business, even if it's not an armed torpedo.

I seem to remember the Americans detected that explosion. Interesting to find out if they saw anything here.
Didn’t the Russians not detect it / cover it up for a significant amount of time?

e - Looks the former along with sheer confusion...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster

sglowrider

I wonder if the laid those sesmic sensors post-Boxing Day Tsunami around Bali. They would have picked up some explosion if an accident happened post-firing exercise.

sglowrider

Frantic hunt for Indonesian submarine as rescuers hone in on radar contact

Indonesia’s desperate search for a missing submarine and its crew of 53 honed in on a radar contact Friday, with just hours to go before the stricken vessel’s oxygen reserves ran out.

The ramped-up hunt comes as Australia and the United States are set to join the search off the coast of Bali where the sub disappeared more than two days ago during training exercises.

Late Thursday, the military said it picked up signs of an unidentified object with high magnetism at a depth of between 50 and 100 metres (165 to 330 feet).

Ships equipped with sonar-tracking equipment were deployed in the hopes that the object could be the KRI Nanggala 402, which was equipped with oxygen reserves that could last until early Saturday, authorities said.

“We’ve only got until 3:00 am tomorrow (Saturday) so we’re maximising all of our efforts today,” said Indonesian military spokesman Achmad Riad.

“Hopefully there will be a bright spot.”

But an oil spill spotted where the submarine was thought to have submerged pointed to possible fuel-tank damage, fanning fears of a deadly disaster.

There are also concerns that the submarine could have sunk to depths believed to be as much as 700 metres (2,300 feet) — well below what it was built to withstand

Frantic hunt for Indonesian submarine as rescuers hone in on radar contact

Indonesia’s desperate search for a missing submarine and its crew of 53 honed in on a radar contact Friday, with just hours to go before the stricken vessel’s oxygen reserves ran out.

The ramped-up hunt comes as Australia and the United States are set to join the search off the coast of Bali where the sub disappeared more than two days ago during training exercises.

Late Thursday, the military said it picked up signs of an unidentified object with high magnetism at a depth of between 50 and 100 metres (165 to 330 feet).

Ships equipped with sonar-tracking equipment were deployed in the hopes that the object could be the KRI Nanggala 402, which was equipped with oxygen reserves that could last until early Saturday, authorities said.

“We’ve only got until 3:00 am tomorrow (Saturday) so we’re maximising all of our efforts today,” said Indonesian military spokesman Achmad Riad.

“Hopefully there will be a bright spot.”

But an oil spill spotted where the submarine was thought to have submerged pointed to possible fuel-tank damage, fanning fears of a deadly disaster.

There are also concerns that the submarine could have sunk to depths believed to be as much as 700 metres (2,300 feet) — well below what it was built to withstand
Highlights just how old this thing is. There are not many Western Navies still running submarines that need to get to snorkel depth for oxygen.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Respect for anyone that picks a career as a submariner. Terrifies me even thinking about it. Hope these guys are found safe.
I do too but I am not sure they will be saved at this point.

I remember the film about the Kursk.
Awful.

Hoping for a good outcome

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Respect for anyone that picks a career as a submariner. Terrifies me even thinking about it. Hope these guys are found safe.
You couldn't me pay 100 million for it. Once an accident happens you're as fecked as it gets.

sglowrider

Highlights just how old this thing is. There are not many Western Navies still running submarines that need to get to snorkel depth for oxygen.
tbf not many modern day subs can survive if it sank to the sea bed if it was 1400m deep.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Not to be morbid, but would they have drowned when it broke up? Sounds like it still had some oxygen when it sank and assume it wasn't the pressure that killed them.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not to be morbid, but would they have drowned when it broke up? Sounds like it still had some oxygen when it sank and assume it wasn't the pressure that killed them.
If the pressure caused the sub to break up, they'll be crushed by the pressure if they aren't dead from having no oxygen.

Cause of death is surely either lack of oxygen or crushed by the pressure.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
If the pressure caused the sub to break up, they'll be crushed by the pressure if they aren't dead from having no oxygen.

Either way it must have been terrifying :(

Interval

Level
They would have died in microseconds as soon has the hull would've been split. The pressure would've been immense at that depth. That's my guess.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

They would have died in microseconds as soon has the hull would've been split. The pressure would've been immense at that depth. That's my guess.
Would the pressure just squash you flat like a bug? No idea how this stuff works.
That instant of knowing something has gone badly wrong on a sub must be about as terrifying as it gets.