g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Indonesia searching for 53 crew aboard missing submarine

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Would the pressure just squash you flat like a bug? No idea how this stuff works.
That instant of knowing something has gone badly wrong on a sub must be about as terrifying as it gets.
Probably why they only mentioned finding the sub in parts and nothing about the bodies. Bodies probably too far gone to identify

Interval

Level
Would the pressure just squash you flat like a bug? No idea how this stuff works.
That instant of knowing something has gone badly wrong on a sub must be about as terrifying as it gets.
By my understanding, yes. In a second. If I recall my school physics right, it's one atmosphere every 10 meters or so. Once the hull cracks, you're immediately equalised to 70-80 atmospheres which should squash you immediately. Though sinking and hearing the metal creak around you must be horrifying

I'm not science guy though. Would love to hear from someone who can verify.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes, the time spent sinking to crush depth would be horrific. Once the hull is breeched though, it would be just about instantaneous from the impact of the water entering the hull.