Insightful interview with Xavi Hernandez

buckooo1978

you can't slate the guy for believing in a philosophy

a philosophy that dominated football for 10 years give or take

interesting read

vangagal

I'm more enjoying coaching clinic from Cruyff himself (based on his videos interview),he's far more deserved to talked like that than Xavi. Xavi comes across such an arrogant prick for me when he's giving that interview. As a player, i rated him above Scholes, but now he's just as much as Scholes not so likeable when giving an interview.
Football is far more bigger than just a tiki-taka wankfest thats Xavi imagine. Gosh, i cant imagine if Xavi had physique that he hoped for to play football. Maybe he refer himself as God now

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Biased and arrogant, but far more interesting than 99 % of the interviews with players or former players.

hn4manunited

interesting read
Philosophy is nothing without the players that can execute to the philosophy. Look where LVG's philosophy brought us?

That philosophy either requires you to build the talents from a young age through your youth system (like Spain did) or riches to acquire you the talents that fit that philosophy. One requires time and if you don't have time, you throw lots of money at it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Hers the TL:DR Barca are the greatest. Madrid suck.

buckooo1978

Philosophy is nothing without the players that can execute to the philosophy. Look where LVG's philosophy brought us?

That philosophy either requires you to build the talents from a young age through your youth system (like Spain did) or riches to acquire you the talents that fit that philosophy. One requires time and if you don't have time, you throw lots of money at it.
which makes it all the more strange that we appointed LVG in the first place

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's true that there is more than one way to play football.

However, given that the style he's describing produced the best side I've ever seen (with Xavi himself central as possibly the best midfielder I've ever seen), I'm quite willing to listen to him argue that his vision of football is superior to others. Even if he's wrong, he's still more right than anyone else trying to make that argument.

Though he wasn't actually making that argument, nor was he solely looking at things with a Barca bias given he praised opposition players like Kroos too.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

interesting read
He's a fundamentalist, he believes in what he wants and leaves out parts of it

"Madrid didn't want to play football", well, you can't expect other people aiming to beat you on your terms
"How players like Cazorla, Modric or Silva weren't signed for Barça?", because guys like you have the ego of an emperor and frown about sharing minutes for the benefit of the team, you expected to play 90 minutes 2 times a week even at 34 y/o and getting flayed by any midfield with a little pace.
"Spain won without having any physicality", not only Pique, Ramos and Puyol, he's forgetting about Senna, how Capdevilla ran that left flank for 90 minutes every game, how Villa and Torres chased defenders like dogs and attempted runs just so our midfield could have more space, how strong Xabi Alonso is... physicality is not only about having 11 players built like Vieira, it takes a lot more.

The more he talks, the less I can stand this guy

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They didn't want to play football.
Respect Xavi but his complete refusal to even appreciate how others choose to play their football is irritating.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

"Madrid didn't want to play football", well, you can't expect other people aiming to beat you on your terms
"How players like Cazorla, Modric or Silva weren't signed for Barça?", because guys like you have the ego of an emperor and frown about sharing minutes for the benefit of the team, you expected to play 90 minutes 2 times a week even at 34 y/o and getting flayed by any midfield with a little pace.
"Spain won without having any physicality", not only Pique, Ramos and Puyol, he's forgetting about Senna, how Capdevilla ran that left flank for 90 minutes every game, how Villa and Torres chased defenders like dogs and attempted runs just so our midfield could have more space, how strong Xabi Alonso is... physicality is not only about having 11 players built like Vieira, it takes a lot more.

me too

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's baffling. Forget about tiki-taka or Guardiola or Barcelona... there is a lot of great stuff in there that is applicable to any side looking to be better.

For all the talk about him being blind and one-sided, he compliments Kroos and Modric! He doesn't shit on Simeone and Mourinho's methods as much as he contrasts their styles versus what he's familiar with.
He does talk Simeone's and Mourinho's football down. The whole interview is a fluff piece. Every point he makes is turned back around to Barca. If you want insight into how much Xavi enjoys one kind of football then this was certainly an insightful article. Take out comments about Pep, Messi, Iniesta and Busquets and what are you left with?

When specifically asked about taking his personal feelings out he responds by saying there is no other way despite clamoring on about how special these players in these tactics are. He was even surprised that Cazorla was a good footballer because he wasn't trained at Barca.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Insightful it is. He is very tactical and has a deep understanding of the game, but massively biased towards possession, technique and short passing.
Isn't technical ability what seperates the good players from the great players

It's the most important thing a player can develop in my opinion so why shouldn't it be seen as the best way to play football?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's true that there is more than one way to play football.

However, given that the style he's describing produced the best side I've ever seen (with Xavi himself central as possibly the best midfielder I've ever seen), I'm quite willing to listen to him argue that his vision of football is superior to others. Even if he's wrong, he's still more right than anyone else trying to make that argument.

Though he wasn't actually making that argument, nor was he solely looking at things with a Barca bias given he praised opposition players like Kroos too.
Agreed, especially on the bolded. So what if he doesn't appreciate route 1 football? I'd love a player who played for Pulis to write something this detailed, I would read the shit out of it. Imagine Rory Delap speaking about the art of the perfect throw-in that frightened many a defense across Europe...

diplomat

Interesting insight for sure, but the way it was laid out looked so entitled that it actually angered me at times. Football is a sport so you can't play it without the physical part, it's basically a main essence to the game.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I'm more enjoying coaching clinic from Cruyff himself (based on his videos interview),he's far more deserved to talked like that than Xavi. Xavi comes across such an arrogant prick for me when he's giving that interview. As a player, i rated him above Scholes, but now he's just as much as Scholes not so likeable when giving an interview.
Football is far more bigger than just a tiki-taka wankfest thats Xavi imagine. Gosh, i cant imagine if Xavi had physique that he hoped for to play football. Maybe he refer himself as God now
Tika Taka doesn't apply to Barcelona

Tika Taka is dominating possession for the sake of having it

At Barcelona thay passed the ball to find space and move forward not just for the sake of having it so the opponent doesn't have it

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's 100% right though, Tiki Taka was unstoppable at it's peak.

Yes they also had Messi to break the deadlock in many games, but City are showing it's the right way to win matches more often than not.

I also agree that pressing them is the best way to beat them. Sitting back and letting them do what they want is just waiting to be slaughtered. They are training for that exact situation.

I think Mourinho will soon realise that parking the bus won't work with this team and we will start pushing up higher and taking more risks.

AshRK

The only.philosophy that works in modern times is buy top players. Without top players no philosophy can work.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The Spanish press has taken two headlines in the interview with "the gardener."
In the first leaves a message to Casemiro and then despises the game of dribbling,ability with the ball of Isco and Asensio. Totally unnecessary.he forgets Ronaldinho for example.
"Who dominates that? Busquets, Messi, Iniesta: they're masters of space-time. They always know what to do when they're surrounded. Then you have midfielders like Casemiro who don't understand that"
"How do you like to play? Pretty football or good football?" And at first I didn't understand. "What does that mean." "You give me good football. Pretty football is good, yes, but for cheating four guys." I don't want to give any names, but in La Liga we've all been impressed with a lot of players that have disappeared without leaving any mark. Yes, you can dribble, but for what? What stylish things does Messi do? Nothing. He does the work. Messi is good football and at the same time it's so good that it becomes pretty."

izec

interesting read
It was successfull too way before Guardiola took over. A variation of it dominates the Premier League currently
Isn't technical ability what seperates the good players from the great players

It's the most important thing a player can develop in my opinion so why shouldn't it be seen as the best way to play football?
Of course, but it comes across as players without elite technical ability being useless e.g. Casemiro

tomaldinho1

I like Xavi as a player, but he's so full of himself in this interview(and probably is in general).

Thinks there's only 1 way to play football.
Right or wrong it's literally all he's known. He joined La Masia at 11 and the rest was history.

Not to say he's not intelligent but that's what he has spent his life learning and doing and, in the words of Borat, it has brought great success

adexkola

Supports
He didn't slate Casemiro, he was just factual.

Casemiro is the perfect midfielder for shielding the midfield because he has the physicality to move across the line in a way Busquets can't. That is correct.

He would also be incapable of replacing Busquets in the Barcelona side. That is also correct.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
He's 100% right though, Tiki Taka was unstoppable at it's peak.

Yes they also had Messi to break the deadlock in many games, but City are showing it's the right way to win matches more often than not.

I also agree that pressing them is the best way to beat them. Sitting back and letting them do what they want is just waiting to be slaughtered. They are training for that exact situation.

I think Mourinho will soon realise that parking the bus won't work with this team and we will start pushing up higher and taking more risks.
Oh, it was stoppable.

For all the praises the style gets, the defining moments were not tiki-taka in essence

Euro 2008, beating Italy in PK and Germany with a through ball to Torres
UCL treble, Iniesta's thundercnut in a game we basically were toothless, ref mistakes
WC 2010, Llorente vs Portugal, Puyol on set pieces vs Germany, Casillas saving the house 2 times vs Robben

We got out vs Mou's Inter or Di Matteo's Chelsea, all through those years we might've looked invincible, but a lot of our victories came from the plan B, and that plan wasn't exactly Tiki-taka proven.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's certainly an interesting and insightful piece but it's full of pompous BS.
I'm not a fan of Simeone but to say he and Mourinho weren't interested in playing football is BS.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
It was successfull too way before Guardiola took over. A variation of it dominates the Premier League currently

Of course, but it comes across as players without elite technical ability being useless e.g. Casemiro
He didn't say he was useless, he said he does a job Busquettes wouldn't be able to do so it's not like he was saying Casemiro was bad

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
It's certainly an interesting and insightful piece but it's full of pompous BS.
I'm not a fan of Simeone but to say he and Mourinho weren't interested in playing football is BS.
It is true to a certain extent, How many posters do you see here complaining about the football on display?

vangagal

Tika Taka doesn't apply to Barcelona

Tika Taka is dominating possession for the sake of having it

At Barcelona thay passed the ball to find space and move forward not just for the sake of having it so the opponent doesn't have it
Isnt this tiki taka terms become media mainstream when Pep's Barca rise? If that doesnt apply to them, what does?

Anyway, doesnt matter what it call for me, he can boasting it all to his liking, but despises other's way to play football seems wrong to me. You can be arrogant without do it.

adexkola

Supports
He does talk Simeone's and Mourinho's football down. The whole interview is a fluff piece.
I didn't get that impression from reading it. But assuming you're right, so what? He has a deep conviction that his style of football is the best. With his career I see why he'd think that way. I'm sure Simeone thinks his style of football is the best too, and if he was interviewed he would come across in the same way.

Every point he makes is turned back around to Barca. If you want insight into how much Xavi enjoys one kind of football then this was certainly an insightful article. Take out comments about Pep, Messi, Iniesta and Busquets and what are you left with?
The team he's spent his entire relevant playing career with. Shocker his interview is heavily weighted towards Barcelona and related personnel.

On the bolded, is that all you got from the article? Because I gleaned more than how much he loves his style of play.

When specifically asked about taking his personal feelings out he responds by saying there is no other way despite clamoring on about how special these players in these tactics are. He was even surprised that Cazorla was a good footballer because he wasn't trained at Barca.
You're grasping at straws now. He's praised Kroos and Modric and De Bruyne in the article. He was just referring to Cazorla's response to the question.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Isnt this tiki taka terms become media mainstream when Pep's Barca rise? If that doesnt apply to them, what does?

Anyway, doesnt matter what it call for me, he can boasting it all to his liking, but despises other's way to play football seems wrong to me. You can be arrogant without do it.
Mainstream use here in Spain started with Spain in 2006, coined by Andres Montes, then everytime a team would play short passes and control football he would say tiki-taka because the guy talked a lot.

Then it came the 2008 Euro, that's when the term became famous, and by extension applied to Barcelona games in 2008/2009, but in essence, tiki-taka was always more akin to Spain than Barcelona, then Montes and everyone started using it from Spain games to Rayo Vallecano with Jemez

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Ready to sleep after that. Reading that was as boring as watching tika-taka.
:lol:

Was thinking the same. To me antifootball is the way that fecking boring spain side won the wc2010 instead of that exciting, attacking, with half the talent, dutch team.

You cant complaint that peps teams are as effective as they get, but damn, please dont let tiki taka ever come back to bore fans to death again

Klean

Interesting Interview. Like others have said, its a bit of over-glorification for Barcalona but lots of interesting comments that provoke some thoughts.

Xavi was interviewed by Diego Torres for El País; translated by @DianaKristinne

Q: Does Mbappe has more potential than any player since Messi?

But because of the fact that since he was in the U16s o U17s he could go and do his play based on pure ability he hasn't had to think a lot about the rest of the game. I want to see what he does against an organized defense like Atletico. Based on the way I understand football, right now, Neymar is better.
This is something that really hit home for me. Too many time we see kids that dominate lower levels because of the physicality and they can never make the next step as players, because they never learn to use more than just their physical tools.

vangagal

Mainstream use here in Spain started with Spain in 2006, coined by Andres Montes, then everytime a team would play short passes and control football he would say tiki-taka because the guy talked a lot.

Then it came the 2008 Euro, that's when the term became famous, and by extension applied to Barcelona games in 2008/2009, but in essence, tiki-taka was always more akin to Spain than Barcelona, then Montes and everyone started using it from Spain games to Rayo Vallecano with Jemez
Ah i see, thanks for the explanation. Always thought it refer to Barca mostly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If you ask a player from a team who were literally better than everyone else to describe what made them better than everyone else, he's probably going to sound like he thinks they were better than everyone else.

Everything he achieved with Barca & Spain was rooted in the belief that their way of doing things was better than the other ways of doing things. I'm not sure how you think he could give an honest description of that while also accepting that Simeone/Mourinho football is just as good. His own personal experience gives him no reason to believe that's the case, so he would either have to be less honest or falsely modest.

Last edited:

izec

He didn't say he was useless, he said he does a job Busquettes wouldn't be able to do so it's not like he was saying Casemiro was bad
from his perspective, only Busquets would be a good footballer. Because the things Casemiro is good at is not something Xavi values. Just like tiki taka is proper foootball, and direct football is below it.

Womp

idiot

Basically this, refreshing to see a Barcelona fan who isn't caught in the mindset that possession is the only acceptable football tactic. If Madrid weren't 'playing football' they wouldn't have pipped the best ever Barca team to the title, whilst breaking goalscoring records. All tactics of football are viable and can be just as successful with the right coaching/personnel. One might look better and be more interesting to you, but that's where preference comes in.

The treble winning Bayern side completely physically dominated the footbal purists Barca, Madrid were the first team in history to win back to back CL's playing a physical/counter-attacking game, Simeone has made CL finals by setting up to nullify his opponents, the list goes on.

adexkola

Supports
from his perspective, only Busquets would be a good footballer. Because the things Casemiro is good at is not something Xavi values. Just like tiki taka is proper foootball, and direct football is below it.
Nowhere does he say that "understanding space-time" is prerequisite to being a good footballer.