Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Clearly seems the people in power weren't really keen on sacking on him, and have only been forced into it.
This is now going to be like Newcastle and their search for managers.

The right candidates won't be interested, because they already have a job.

And United will be forced to make a compromise and sign a manager that would neither be their first choice or the ideal candidate.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We could have an issue behind the scene with some players openly against the manager's decisions? We could be close to bring someone but that someone doesn't want to take care of the game against Villarreal and would prefer to have more than a day with the team? The board could be a bit dim? Or all of these suggestions are true.
I get those and I agree I'm just fed up of the club taking half measures. Hopefully, in the future we make better decisions.

Ranchero

What an absolute kindergarten this place is :lol:

Do you just want the bench to be empty on Tuesday and let the players freestyle the match? Someone will need to manage the side before we get someone in. Or is it just that you don't know what to moan about after Ole got the sack?
Sorry, it is in the kindergarten that you would have the view that the biggest football club in the world does not forward plan, or succession plan to any coherent degree. Anyone with a pea brain could see Ole's days were numbered even before the Liverpool disaster.

AndyMUFC

Fully expect us to get Blanc to be honest and go for Pochettino if available and Ten Haag in the summer.

Think the only full time candidate we would've gone for now is Brendan Rodgers so I'm not exactly disappointed that we're waiting in the summer on that count, although an interim manager is a weird one when there's still 6 months left of a season.

Infra-red

Do we have any indication that the interim manager will be allowed to bring any of his staff with him?
No, not at the moment, but then details are pretty thin on the ground. While I wouldn't be surprised if some of them (the existing staff) survived into the interim regime, I would also be pretty shocked if the new manager wasn't permitted to bring any of his own staff with him.

It's a big job for whoever comes in, with player confidence pretty much rock bottom and the likes of West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal etc pushing for the 4th place slot - the new guy needs to hit the ground running and for that, he'll need some staff he can trust.

Denis79

Imagine if Carrick wins 4-5 games in a row and is offered a 5 year contract as permanent manager. :lol:

Ranchero

Clearly seems the people in power weren't really keen on sacking on him, and have only been forced into it.

And United will be forced to make a compromise and sign a manager that would neither be their first choice or the ideal candidate.
So the biggest football club in the world doesn't forward plan, and doesn't have a succession plan? That shows what a shambles we are from top to bottom.

talking robot

Disgraceful to appoint Carrick. He, Phelan, and the rest are just as much responsible for where we are at now as Ole. The whole lot, as well as Fletcher, Murtogh, and Woodward need to go. We need people who know what they are doing at this club. It's ridiculous how poor the decision making is at every level.

Infra-red

So, Carrick is just a temp. Not even interim manager.

I wonder what the Board has been doing all this while when the results are not in our favour. They thought Ole will somehow manage to flip the downward form? Jesus...
Wasting two weeks of the international break, when they had ample opportunity to get Ole's succession sorted, was an terrible oversight. Sheer incompetence from the United Board, really.

Cloud7

I hope we win this upcoming CL match so the incoming manager has something to go at

klsv

Sorry, it is in the kindergarten that you would have the view that the biggest football club in the world does not forward plan, or succession plan to any coherent degree. Anyone with a pea brain could see Ole's days were numbered even before the Liverpool disaster.
Obviously the board is too clueless for that, so now we have to face the match against Villarreal with someone else sitting on the managers seat and we won't be getting anyone from outside the club, no matter how much you moan and cry about it.

Ranchero

Disgraceful to appoint Carrick. He, Phelan, and the rest are just as much responsible for where we are at now as Ole. The whole lot, as well as Fletcher, Murtogh, and Woodward need to go. We need people who know what they are doing at this club. It's ridiculous how poor the decision making is at every level.
Totally agree. But you left out the key felons in this shambles - our American Football-centred board.

Ranchero

Obviously the board is too clueless for that, so now we have to face the match against Villarreal with someone else sitting on the managers seat and we won't be getting anyone from outside the club, no matter how much you moan and cry about it.
So are we to accept that the board is clueless and just say nothing. We have, kept quiet for too long about Ole. The point of open discussion is to air that. We cannot sit back and accept the systemic ineptitude that has poisoned our club.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
I do think getting an interim is the best way to go. There is no top proven managers available at the minute other than Zidane and he seems to not be interested.

An interim manager doesn't mean writing the season off. Interims have been successful in the past. Having somebody do a job and hopefully get some better performances till the end of the season while we take our time to try and get the right man is a good approach.

The problem is its hard to trust the board the get the right man. Last time we did this Ole got hired. We just have to hope they have learned from past mistakes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I get those and I agree I'm just fed up of the club taking half measures. Hopefully, in the future we make better decisions.
I know that you are fed up, don't get me wrong I know that many of my posts feel like I'm making excuses for the club but I do think that there is a lack of perspective used by fans, what we have seen since yesterday is extremely normal. We can and probably should talk about the fact that the club needed to sack Ole before the international window or that he shouldn't have been our manager during preseason those are fair points but we shouldn't continuously try to make up faults because we are just feeding our own anger with weak points. It only hurts ourselves, the fans.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No that's not true at all.
That's true. We play direct football as that's how Ole wants his team to play and he explained it few times too.

Apart from 2-3 coaches, Chelsea had same backroom staff under Lampard and Tuchel. The difference in how they play is complete 180 degree change.

Ranchero

Wasting two weeks of the international break, when they had ample opportunity to get Ole's succession sorted, was an terrible oversight. Sheer incompetence from the United Board, really.
But one page of chapter in a book called, Glazers: A litany of incompetence

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If we lose against Villarreal, there really isn’t much of a season left. It’s really sad. Amateur hour at every level.

Now we have one of the failed coaches in charge for the biggest game of the season so far.

No one taking responsibility and no urgency.

Fooza

There's always that risk an interim manager keeps the same backroom staff because they will think there's no point changing as they temp. We could see the same for the rest of the season

Ranchero

I do think getting an interim is the best way to go. There is no top proven managers available at the minute other than Zidane and he seems to not be interested.

An interim manager doesn't mean writing the season off. Interims have been successful in the past. Having somebody do a job and hopefully get some better performances till the end of the season while we take our time to try and get the right man is a good approach.

The problem is its hard to trust the board the get the right man. Last time we did this Ole got hired. We just have to hope they have learned from past mistakes.
We are so utterly devoid of foresight that we don't even have an interim manager. It is effectively an interim interim manager. Other clubs lose their manager and get a PERMANENT manager in. We missed out on the likes of Conte through sheer incompetence. Nothing more and nothing less.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That's true. We play direct football as that's how Ole wants his team to play and he explained it few times too.

Apart from 2-3 coaches, Chelsea had same backroom staff under Lampard and Tuchel. The difference in how they play is complete 180 degree change.
That's Tuchel though. Some managers rely more heavily on their coaching staff and some don't. There isn't some general rule.

Ranchero

There's always that risk an interim manager keeps the same backroom staff because they will think there's no point changing as they temp. We could see the same for the rest of the season
Exactly. And that would be a disaster.

NK86

There are good candidates who could definitely be allured. How soon would that be is the question, unless you think the only candidates who are right are at Bayern, Pool, Chelsea and City.

Betson

So we had no plan for this eventuality , who would have thought that.

jackal&hyde

I think it's almost for certain that is the case. Little point in changing the staff only to change it again come next summer. Unless of course we get get staff that is already approved by whomever our target for manager is.

JPB

I'm fecking terrified, it's a long way till the end of the season. I'm scared that the interim manager does well for a short period of time and that the club gives him a full contract. I hope we somehow get Ten Hag in the summer without appointing anyone mediocre full time before then. You just know if we go on a little run of form that they will keep the guy. This scares me the most. What a sad fecking state, I have to be scared that my team wins because of the incompetence of our board.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's Tuchel though. Some managers rely more heavily on their coaching staff and some don't. There isn't some general rule.
Everyone relies on the coaching staff, not to dictate playing style but to implement their vision/philosophy.

Tuchel isn't even the point, the same world class coaches under Tuchel were failed ones under Lampard.

Godfather

What an absolute kindergarten this place is :lol:

Do you just want the bench to be empty on Tuesday and let the players freestyle the match? Someone will need to manage the side before we get someone in. Or is it just that you don't know what to moan about after Ole got the sack?
How anyone can lash out at the fanbase for pointing out the incompetence of this club after all this mess is beyond me.

We had an international break where we could have fired Ole and looked for a proper interim solution. I think it's fair game pointing out that doing all that before an important CL game is hardly ideal.

klsv

So are we to accept that the board is clueless and just say nothing. We have, kept quiet for too long about Ole. The point of open discussion is to air that. We cannot sit back and accept the systemic ineptitude that has poisoned our club.
Don't see much of a discussion here, more like repetitive one-liners, with some accusing Carrick of being part of some criminal organisation led by Ole.

Moiraine

Admins, why we have so many threads for new managers, can we have just one ?

Ranchero

If we lose against Villarreal, there really isn’t much of a season left. It’s really sad. Amateur hour at every level.

Now we have one of the failed coaches in charge for the biggest game of the season so far.

No one taking responsibility and no urgency.
What made me laugh was the story that Darren Fletcher could take charge. Darren Fletcher. Who isn't qualified to be technical director. And yet that is what he is. Mind you Carrick it taking temporary charge with United his first actual senior coaching post. He only completed his UEFA A Licence four years ago. So that is equally as laughable. At least Phelan has some management experience... and yet he isn't in the frame? Madness. A word often used but so apt when it comes to the powers that be at Old Trafford.

Fooza

I think it's almost for certain that is the case. Little point in changing the staff only to change it again come next summer. Unless of course we get get staff that is already approved by whomever our target for manager is.
Only way we get a successful season some how is the interim manager is a top coach who can coach our coaches on how to coach with a good style of play. But honestly, I'm still writing this season off.

peridigm

I’d rather we got big Sam, Bruce, or even Hughes over continuing with this lot.

Foxbatt

So our caretaker manager may become our interim manager who in turn may be our permanent manager? It is enough to do one's head in. :lol:

Yakuza_devils

What happened if Carrick or the interim manager get us play great attacking football and win the first 10-11 matches again? :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.