International Call-ups 09/10

Laphroaig

Reece Brown scored the winner for England u19s in a 2-1 win over Russia.

Matt James was captain.
A lucky winner it was: I know nothing about Reece Brown, other than who his bigger brother is. Could somebody enlighten me? Is he a good prospect?

datura

A lucky winner it was: I know nothing about Reece Brown, other than who his bigger brother is. Could somebody enlighten me? Is he a good prospect?
It was lucky - apparently he played centre back for them, whereas he's been playing at right back for the Academy (and reserves when he's been selected).

I haven't seen a large amount of him but he seems very similar to his brother in style, although he may be a bit better going forward. He needs to work on his defending and concentration but he has the raw materials (height, pace, strength and decent technically) to be a good player.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Yea I like the looks of Reece myself.. I think he has a good chance of making it just like his Brother.. But I may be wrong as it is still early days..

jb8521

In the few academy games so far Brown has looked a bit dodgy to me and looked a lot better this time last year but he has had a few injuries which meant he missed a lot of football last year. Think he looks a lot more comfortable in the centre rather than right back where he has been playing.

cj_sparky

Has Brian Eastick gone then? I was never quite convinced by his coaching although obviously I don't really know what he was like.
Eastick stepped up to coach the U20's. With Noel Blake taking over at U19's.

Longlivekeano

Maybe Welbeck suffered an Alex "interntaional" Fergie "injury". This injury is also called "Giggsy Welsh international friendly-tidis"

datura

I was hoping he'd stay, as he will gain more experience by playing at Premiership level than an age group tournament where not all the best players will even be there if their clubs do not release them.

PS18

Think the squad says it all - apart from Baldock of League 1 MK Dons and Spurs' Obika on loan at Yeovil, there's no-one there who's really in their club's first-team squad. No Wilshere or Gibbs from Arsenal, no Rodwell from Everton, not even Watford would spare Tom Cleverley (presumably a stipulation of his loan deal), so it's no surprise there's no Welbeck.

Shame really, should be held in the summer with the best possible squads.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Maybe Welbeck suffered an Alex "interntaional" Fergie "injury". This injury is also called "Giggsy Welsh international friendly-tidis"
Well not really the clubs are allowed to withdraw their players from this one..

I was hoping he'd stay, as he will gain more experience by playing at Premiership level than an age group tournament where not all the best players will even be there if their clubs do not release them.
Alright then lets see how much PL experience he gets in that time.. Well he is sure to get a Carling Cup start IMO but other than that I think he won't even get a whiff..

Think the squad says it all - apart from Baldock of League 1 MK Dons and Spurs' Obika on loan at Yeovil, there's no-one there who's really in their club's first-team squad. No Wilshere or Gibbs from Arsenal, no Rodwell from Everton, not even Watford would spare Tom Cleverley (presumably a stipulation of his loan deal), so it's no surprise there's no Welbeck.

Shame really, should be held in the summer with the best possible squads.
Totally agree.. Although what was that U-20 Toloun thing? How exactly does one qualify for that? I am guessing the Tournament is French so they are always in..

PS18

Toulon's invitational, doesn't really affect things too much. It's having both the U21 and U19 Euros in the same summer that's a problem. Probably got to factor in other confederations' youth tournaments too.

oskarutd

Ferguson said on MUTV that 6 United local boys were nominated to the squad.
So I guees the other were Welbeck, Drinkwater, Cleverley and Amos.

PS18

Macheda's not in the Italy squad either, so just James, Brandy and Zieler for us.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Macheda's not in the Italy squad either, so just James, Brandy and Zieler for us.
This is really upsetting news.. But I guess all managers withdrew their players too.. Making the entire tournament a very weak one!

Einar15

Tyler Blackett and Luke Hendrie have been selected for England U16s for the Victory Shield opener against Wales on the 15th of october.

datura

Brian Eastick's response to Ghana's goal is to take off Brandy for a midfielder.
I made my thoughts clear on him in the u20 thread in the football forum. He is far too negative, much like Pearce. His teams are set up to counter attack and keep possession and not to take the game to the opposition. I can't understand the benefit to the players of being so constricted and as a result our players rarely thrive at junior level for England from what I've watched so far.

RedPhil1957

I made my thoughts clear on him in the u20 thread in the football forum. He is far too negative, much like Pearce. His teams are set up to counter attack and keep possession and not to take the game to the opposition. I can't understand the benefit to the players of being so constricted and as a result our players rarely thrive at junior level for England from what I've watched so far.

I agree ----- at one time I am sure the club were not keen on our players playing for young england sides because of the poor coaching and set up.

rocks13

Corry Evans, Craig Cathcart and Joe Dudgeon all called up for Northern Ireland u21's match against Iceland next week.

First call up for Dudgeon - didn't realise he was from N.I.

England U21s is being streamed free on the FA website, Cleverley is starting and Welbeck is on the bench

Laphroaig

Although the commentator ignores Cleverley's part in it, and presents it as a North London goal because Walcott set him up.

Oh, horrible defending by Tomkins. Looked veeery slow and uncomfortable on the ball.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Cleverley has come on a ridiculous amount since he broke into the reserves. I can genuinely see him as almost an Iniesta style option for us in future (i.e. could play any position in midfield - left right centre, defensive, box-to-box or attacking). He's got great technique and he isn't a bad dribbler either.

Note for the spastics - I am not saying he is ever necessarily going to be even in the same league as Iniesta, just that he could play a similar role in our squad.