Internationals March (Euro Play-Offs + Friendlies)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Decent workout and different kind of challenge for England. Great for Kobbie to make his debut and look very assured as always.

At the end of the day it's a friendly and the Brazil goal came after a long period of them not really doing anything.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Am I allowed to say that Foden looks like a nothing player outside the Pep system?
He’s a good player, I just don’t get why people act like he can play as a 10 or even as a no.8. He’s a final third player who needs supplementing with someone else doing the heavy lifting

Doracle

rashford is so scared of heading the ball. what happened to those bullet headers he was scoring last season.
He’s obviously not great in the air but I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do when the defender flicks it right in front of him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Or perhaps go with Toney
Just turned on Talksport for a minute and they were saying we didn't get enough players forward. I mentioned this earlier. Watkins was basically isolated with two or three of their defenders. They said surely that is on the manager.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
He’s obviously not great in the air but I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do when the defender flicks it right in front of him.
he never approaches the ball with any conviction.

whitbyviking

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a match involving Brazil with them having 10 players behind the ball defending their own box. Although I do think this is more to do with how painfully slow England are at attacking meaning Brazil couldn’t actually fail to have everyone back.

Plus, Southgate: utterly clueless. Couldn’t change his bedclothes. Makes a million subs and fails to change the shape at all, just like for like subs with fresh legs, except Rashford, who is struggling in every regard at the minute.

Ekeke

England fairly poor other than Bellingham winning a billion set pieces they did nothing with. Brazil scored from a ball over the top that they were trying all game and had several chances to make it work. Second half Brazil werent impressive either but they had the right idea to win the match and it worked. And yes Paqueta had about 6 fouls in the first half with another 3 from Joao Gomes. So they were dirty about breaking things up rather than any good at it.

Just checked, by the end of the match Paqueta had 6 fouls still and Gomes had 5. So for 25 mins in the 2nd half Paqueta behaved himself, and Gomes took over as the hatchet man in the 2nd half

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a match involving Brazil with them having 10 players behind the ball defending their own box. Although I do think this is more to do with how painfully slow England are at attacking meaning Brazil couldn’t actually fail to have everyone back.

Plus, Southgate: utterly clueless. Couldn’t change his bedclothes. Makes a million subs and fails to change the shape at all, just like for like subs with fresh legs, except Rashford, who is struggling in every regard at the minute.
Thought our buildup was incredibly slow. Maybe it is just that we are getting to business end of season and PL players don't want a needless injury. Thought Brazil were very organised.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It really is just Southgate's incompetence that could possibly hold them back from walking the tournament.
I know it wasn't the best 11 but I struggle to see where that easy way to win will come. And it was the first game under a new coach by Brazil with some second lines also, and they had the better chances during the match.

But tbf with what I said it's easy to see since 2020 the quality of European NT's has declined, so with a top Kane, Saka, Foden and Bellingham probably they will remain one of the top favourites.

But no way there's a Spain between 2008/2012 or Germany 2014 and even France in 2018 at this moment in Europe.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Dorival is way better than Diniz(:(). It finally looks like a professional team.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
I said Wirtz needs to be announce himself as the best in the world with a 1G+A (per game) for Germany to win the Euros. So far, so good. :lol:

antk

Rabiot is a ghost. Can't wait for the moment we can start a game without him, hopefully soon whether with Zaire-Emery or Camavinga once Griezmann's back.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Get Kimmich off the ball and Gnabry and Sané off the field and Germany looks much better.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think Foden is one of the best players in the league in that City set up, but I don't know what he brings to this England side. He was the attacker with the most caps for England today, and he just never got on the ball and looked to make something happen.

Not having Walker and Shaw obviously impacts our wide players, but we seem too central orientated at the moment leading to teams just clogging the central areas.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Controlling our game like he was never away.
We were far from being in control towards the end of the first half. The risk of us being opened up in midfield continues to be there with Kroos offering better little to that end. He's been fantastic on the ball though but he's always been great at that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He’s a good player, I just don’t get why people act like he can play as a 10 or even as a no.8. He’s a final third player who needs supplementing with someone else doing the heavy lifting
Yep
Thought our buildup was incredibly slow. Maybe it is just that we are getting to business end of season and PL players don't want a needless injury. Thought Brazil were very organised.
Personnel issue. At least one of Shaw/Trippier or TAA should start at the Euros and I expect so will Mainoo. Things should improve
I know it wasn't the best 11 but I struggle to see where that easy way to win will come.
But so many of their defenders and midfielders play for top sides don't you know. What does it matter the players that make those top sides football possible aren't english :rolleyes:

Btw, I'm starting to believe Wirtz is the truth

RedDevilQuebecois

So far, the experiment has gone horribly wrong for Deschamps. There are some players on the French team who do not deserve to be anywhere near the starting lineup.

Rabiot is a ghost. Can't wait for the moment we can start a game without him, hopefully soon whether with Zaire-Emery or Camavinga once Griezmann's back.
I feel like Camavinga should have started this one.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Conor Gallagher is the kind of player why England never win anything, lots of energy and hustle but very little in the way of quality. Mainoo should already be ahead of him.

hobbers

Cant wait for us to hire Southgate after Nagelsmann dumps him out of the Euros.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I know it wasn't the best 11 but I struggle to see where that easy way to win will come. And it was the first game under a new coach by Brazil with some second lines also, and they had the better chances during the match.

But tbf with what I said it's easy to see since 2020 the quality of European NT's has declined, so with a top Kane, Saka, Foden and Bellingham probably they will remain one of the top favourites.

But no way there's a Spain between 2008/2012 or Germany 2014 and even France in 2018 at this moment in Europe.
Portugal bringing it home !!! :D :lol:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Controlling our game like he was never away.
Sounds about right, one of the smartest players I’ve ever seen. Is there still benefit to Gundogan in this formation? Looks like Midfield Fc.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I thought that Deschamp didn’t really rate Camavinga. Or rates Rabiot higher at least. Think he’ll do the same for the tournament.

antk

I thought that Deschamp didn’t really rate Camavinga. Or rates Rabiot higher at least. Think he’ll do the same for the tournament.
I keep hope for Zaire-Emery instead of Rabiot at least, he's probably a safer choice for Deschamps.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
But so many of their defenders and midfielders play for top sides don't you know. What does it matter the players that make those top sides football possible aren't english :rolleyes:
Brazil was playing with Bento who is their 4th best GK, Fabricio Bruno probably 4th or 5th best CB, Wendell who plays for Porto was his first cap for Brazil as it was for João Gomes I suspect.

It wasn't only England who was playing with second lines. I suspect Brazil will improve under Dorival and obviously England will be better in the Euros but it won't be a easy tournament win I suspect.

The state of European NT's looks suspect for me.

RoyH1

Florian Wirtz is as good as advertised. Him and Musiala are so dangerous. I really hope City never gets either of them.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Portugal bringing it home !!! :D :lol:
No, we have some gaps in the squad and if Martinez is thinking about playing every match Cristiano and Pepe and doesn't have the balls to rotate the team during the tournament best scenario for us will be last 8.

The Purley King

Yep yep. Some players are just able to get away with it and he’s definitely one. It’s a skill in itself honestly
No that was just the ref not wanting to ruin a friendly game.
Any remotely serious game and he’s off.
It’s why the result is largely immaterial although on chances created (even though one of them was off a complete shank) Brazil probably edged it

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sounds about right, one of the smartest players I’ve ever seen. Is there still benefit to Gundogan in this formation? Looks like Midfield Fc.
It definitely is midfield FC, but seems to be a good choice. Having Gündogan clearly play as a 10 ahead of Kroos is definitely a good choice, playing them as a double pivot never worked.

It's likely that to make it less "midfieldish" someone like Sane would replace Wirtz or Musiala or Füllkrug would replace Havertz. Gündogan as the captain should be safe and rightfully has his place as an AM.

Including (someone like) Andrich really seems to be the key decision here to make this work.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Aren't Germany supposed to be cack and France really good?
This is what happens when you just say "feck this shit", Kick Goretzka out of the team, convince Kroos to return from retirement and shift Kimmich out wide, so that you can finally play a disciplined and intelligent double pivot instead of the overmotivated jokers.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Brazil was playing with Bento who is their 4th best GK, Fabricio Bruno probably 4th or 5th best CB, Wendell who plays for Porto was his first cap for Brazil as it was for João Gomes I suspect.

It wasn't only England who was playing with second lines. I suspect Brazil will improve under Dorival and obviously England will be better in the Euros but it won't be a easy tournament win I suspect.

The state of European NT's looks suspect for me.
Eh, it's international football. Spain were a case of right team right time in '08 then had the good luck of building a team with 7 starters playing together at club level. Germany failed and failed and failed until they also got their "right time". Same with Argentina. France is the one team that could be genuinely special, if they're healthy.

Think the level of football is higher now, so flaws and weaknesses are more glaring