Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers + Friendlies)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINALS
Thursday 24 March 2022
Path A
: Wales vs Austria (20:45 CET)
Path B
: Sweden vs Czech Republic (20:45 CET)
Path C
: Italy vs North Macedonia (20:45 CET), Portugal vs Turkey (20:45 CET)

Postponed (date tbc)
Path A
: Scotland vs Ukraine

PLAY-OFF FINALS
Tuesday 29 March 2022
Path B
: Poland vs Sweden / Czech Republic (20:45 CET)
Path C
: Portugal / Turkey vs Italy / North Macedonia (20:45 CET)

Postponed (date tbc)
Path A
: Wales / Austria vs Scotland / Ukraine

All World Cup qualifying fixtures can be found here.
All friendlies can be found here.

RonaldoVII

Imagine thinking Grealish is having a better season, or is on better form, than Sancho. At least he gets some time off rather than sit on England's bench.

Also this seems a bit odd:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
As a Welshman, I wish I could say I was arsed about this.

First and quite possibly only World Cup I could ever see us qualify for and it's this oil money-bought and blood money-built farce coming up in the winter. Feck off.

izec

Sancho and Tomori for Shaw and Maguire. How these two are in only Southgate knows. But he has his favourites, and Maguire is one of them. He is just not good enough currently

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Smith Rowe has had a far better season than Sancho. If you're just going to pick the squad on a month by month basis then it would be a completely different squad every time.

I think Utd fans are also overplaying Sancho's upturn in form, he's had a decent month but steady on, he still has a lot to prove.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Smith Rowe has had a far better season than Sancho. If you're just going to pick the squad on a month by month basis then it would be a completely different squad every time.

I think Utd fans are also overplaying Sancho's upturn in form, he's had a decent month but steady on, he still has a lot to prove.
I think there is some merit to pick on recent form, though it's a mix between how embedded the player is in the team in general, and how good his recent form is. I'm not necessarily shocked that some players who are struggling form wise are selected, if the manager believes they have value for the group.

As for Sancho, he hasn't had a "one month" upturn in form, it's been longer. That ESR is having a better season is debattable, and on recent form it's even more surprising. But that Graelish is in (even though we know Southgate is reluctant to use him) is just plain weird.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

:houllier: Month by month basis? Smith Rowe has started 2 league games in 3.5 months.

And what is your logic for the Grealish pick? Someone like Barnes has had 'a far better season' than Grealish.

Hulme91

Sancho and Tomori for Shaw and Maguire. How these two are in only Southgate knows. But he has his favourites, and Maguire is one of them. He is just not good enough currently
Maguire has been England's best CB for a fair few years now.
He... like Pickford.. is picked on international form, not club form.

TheGame

Absolute bollocks. ESR is not even getting into the first team at Arsenal. Sancho and others are ahead of him.

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Absolute bollocks. ESR is not even getting into the first team at Arsenal. Sancho and others are ahead of him.
Because he's been injured. Besides, he's competing with Martinelli, nothing wrong with that. We rotate them both.

ESR is the top scoring midfielder in the premier league this season..

Bowen is ahead of ESR. Sancho is not. But Bowen is injured so not in there.

Tomori on the other hand, that is a joke. To the guy above who said Shaw out for Sancho, do you suggest we have no LBs in the squad then?

Last edited:

TheGame

Because he's been injured. Besides, he's competing with Martinelli, nothing wrong with that. We rotate them both.

ESR is the top scoring midfielder in the premier league this season..

Bowen is ahead of ESR. Sancho is not. But Bowen is injured so not in there.

Tomori on the other hand, that is a joke. To the guy above who said Shaw out for Sancho, do you suggest we have no LBs in the squad then?
He wasn't getting picked before he was injured. He's done well coming on as sub and getting goals which has upped his tally. Sancho has been in better form in my opinion but Bowen has been better than both of them.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He wasn't getting picked before he was injured. He's done well coming on as sub and getting goals which has upped his tally. Sancho has been in better form in my opinion but Bowen has been better than both of them.
He's started 15 of our 27 games. He's been injured for 4 games. He's come off the bench for 8. He's more recently come off the bench, purely because Martinelli has been a bit better in periods, but for the majority of the season he's started.

And so what if he's come off the bench and got goals? That's exactly the role whoever comes into this England side will likely have.

Agree about Bowen, but he's injured as said. But from reading the above you'd think ESR was someone living off reputation.. Sancho is in better form as per the past month sure, but the squad isn't based off that.

TheGame

He's started 15 of our 27 games. He's been injured for 4 games. He's come off the bench for 8. He's more recently come off the bench, purely because Martinelli has been a bit better in periods, but for the majority of the season he's started.

And so what if he's come off the bench and got goals? That's exactly the role whoever comes into this England side will likely have.

Agree about Bowen, but he's injured as said. But from reading the above you'd think ESR was someone living off reputation.. Sancho is in better form as per the past month sure, but the squad isn't based off that.
I haven't got an issue with that, just was making a point he was a sub. With Southgate picking the squad, I'm not sure what it's based on.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Just realised Bowen is injured when started to watch the West Ham game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just looking at Portugal squad ahead of the potential monumental play off v Italy....

Do they really have no other CBs apart from Pepe and Fonte? Both have combined age of 77 ffs. :lol:

Other defenders named are Dalot, Cedric Soares, Guerrerio, Mendes, Cancelo and Inacio who I presume must be a CB but is 20 and uncapped.

Who would actually play as CB if one of them picked up knocked v Turkey? I'm guessing William Carvalho would have to be placed there.

Interesting to think Ronaldo era likely ends if you don't make it through, Moutinho probably retires aswell.

Edit: Forgot Ruben Dias is injured.

croadyman

Do we reckon England's biggest weakness is creativity through the middle or a top class CB partnership, maybe it's a bit of a both

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
As much as I like Southgate, his tactical deficiency is our biggest weakness. He's a fantastic man manager, but.. any complex match situation and we'll always struggle.

Personal wise, when everyone is fit I think we have a well balanced side. Oddly, I think England are very similar to Arsenal in terms of how they should be shaping up. We shape up like:

Ramsdale
Tomiyasu - White - Gabriel - Tierney
Partey
Saka - Odegaard - Xhaka - Martinelli
Lacazette

England could do something very similar:

Ramsdale
Walker - White - Tomori - Chilwell
Rice
Saka - Foden - Bellingham - Sterling
Kane

But as pointed out before, we'll always have two screens in the middle because our CB partnerships are always not good enough. I'm aware this is biased towards Arsenal slightly, just my opinion.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As much as I like Southgate, his tactical deficiency is our biggest weakness. He's a fantastic man manager, but.. any complex match situation and we'll always struggle.

Personal wise, when everyone is fit I think we have a well balanced side. Oddly, I think England are very similar to Arsenal in terms of how they should be shaping up. We shape up like:

Ramsdale
Tomiyasu - White - Gabriel - Tierney
Partey
Saka - Odegaard - Xhaka - Martinelli
Lacazette

England could do something very similar:

Ramsdale
Walker - White - Tomori - Chilwell
Rice
Saka - Foden - Mount - Sterling
Kane

But as pointed out before, we'll always have two screens in the middle because our CB partnerships are always not good enough. I'm aware this is biased towards Arsenal slightly, just my opinion.
Bellingham has to start at next world cup imo, assuming Southgate will go with him and Rice and see if that combination can develop.

saivet

I think he ranks around 8th in the pecking order, with Walker, James, TAA, Trippier, KWP, Lamptey, and Livramento ahead of him. If Aarons had some good form I think he would be ahead of him too. Other options like B. Johnson and Ayling are surely behind him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Japan got a late win against Australia to qualify for the World Cup. Australia will have to play two playoff ties to go through, one of them being against the 5th placed team from South America.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
AWB was looking at playing for DR Congo the last I heard.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I'll be watching Portugal v Turkey amd Wales v Austria at the same time. Then Canada v Costa Rica later tonight!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Big, big nights for Italy and Portugal. I'm expecting one big shock (Italy being knocked out for ex). Have a fecking dinner at friends this evening and I've been kindly told "no football on TV" when I asked. I need new friends.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I am only interested in the netherlands vs germany game on 29th. I would like to see how LvG set up his team with all the current Dutch players. There aren't many big names there.

bren_84

does the winner of sweden v czech republic tonight then qualify?

path a and path b still have to do a second round, right?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Pretty positive Portugal are not going to the World Cup.

For one we have so many key players out for this game vs turkey and that usually ends in disaster.

Secondly that ridiculous robbery that occurred away to Serbia is going to be the reason we don’t make the World Cup.

I truly don’t see Portugal making the World Cup, would take a Herculean effort to get through both games.