Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers + Friendlies)

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Cameroon score in the last minute to win on away goals. Deserved for the pathetic time wasting by Algeria.
Absolutely shambolic referee performance
No idea how that 1st Cameroon goal even stood after it was scored because a Cameroonian player threw an Algerian one into the keeper who was mid-air

After the laser game in Senegal you really feel that CAF is way too far behind where it should be in term of officiating and enforcing rules. The level of infrastructure is lightyears below that of the players

MUFC OK

It's weird to see him fall off as hard as he has, but if he can regain his form he is one hell of a player.
Think he’s been pretty solid, doesn’t help when your CB partner is inexplicably undroppable despite awful form.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Some real shambolic ongoings with those African qualifiers. Algeria got robbed and Egypt ended up getting the kind of treatment an away fan/team can expect when they go to Dipperville.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
We can still defend well and press as a team. Janne is coaching well, but up front we are really toothless.

I had hope Kulusevski would finally deliver for us after his good Spurs form when he scored some nice goals.
Really inefficient today though. Isak is not clinical at all for club and country this season. He plays well without scoring a lot similar to Berg before him, but you need the goals. Quaison nice player, but not a top striker.

We could really need a better striker. In terms of creating ok chances we are always doing that even agaist top sides, but you need to take those chances.
We did not have amazing chances today, but should have scored a goal and taking it to extra time at least.

Elanga is the big hope for us, but so far he is not really a goal scorer. Hopefully the new United manager improves him a lot.
We are toothless because Janne can't coach an attack to save his life.
Sweden's strength is in attack atm, get a manager in that plays modern football and we'll look 10x better. I genuinely don't understand why people like Janne, he plays outdated 442 route 1 football. Forsberg as a left midfielder hurts my soul...

Kulusevski-Forsberg-Elanga
--------------------Isak----------------

These are very good footballers that can play with the ball!
I hope we see new manager come in but I doubt it...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Were other players impacted by the lasers as well or just Salah then? I think too much is being made of it, if it bothered him he should've flagged the issue to the referee. It was just a bad penalty. Sucks for him to miss out on the World Cup although I'm happy that Senegal made it, think they are the stronger team overall and always nice to see an African team potentially do well at the tournament.

Would've really liked to see Colombia in instead of Peru as well but Paraguay at home was probably too easy for Peru to throw away their lead. Hoping Australia make it over them in the deciding qualifier should they get there.

Also nice to see Ecuador back. Still vividly remember the 1-0 vs England with the Beckham goal in 2006.

Giggsyking

“As stated in the FIFA Stadium Safety and Security Regulations, laser pointers are considered prohibited items by FIFA and confiscated when the spectators are checked at the outer stadium perimeter,” a FIFA spokesperson tells Input. “When incidents happen within the applicable scope of FIFA's Disciplinary Code, disciplinary measures may be taken based on article 16, paragraph 2,” which state that teams are liable for inappropriate behavior from their fans and they may be subject to disciplinary measures should they should show any negligence in stopping the “the use of laser pointers or similar electronic devices.”

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
why didn't Egypt or salah protest when salah was being lasered during the PK shootout ?
The lasers didn't make Salah kick it that hard. Maybe he should have complained before taking it?

He just lost his composure and smashed it as hard as he could.

darko

I find it unfair that the 2nd leg away team has 120 mins to get an away goal while the home team only got 90 in the first leg. I don't think the extra 30 mins of home advantage properly accounts for that. Anyway, it is what it is.
Fair? It's better than playing one-of playoff matches away. It's better than playing a one-of play off match away against a team that got a by (Poland v Sweden).

Redlyn

Fair? It's better than playing one-of playoff matches away. It's better than playing a one-of play off match away against a team that got a by (Poland v Sweden).
I am sure it is better than many things...while still being unfair.

Red Star One

Lovely night yesterday in Poland, Sweden was not a huge threat but still favorites for this game and our recent results against them miserable, so there was understandable skepticism before the game - great result, proud of the lads even if the match was not the most beautiful and we scored our goals after individual mistakes. Fully expecting to crash out from the group stage now, but our midfield (great Moder) gives me some optImism.

Can’t believe Egypt got punished by Senegal again

BalanceUnAutreJoint

“As stated in the FIFA Stadium Safety and Security Regulations, laser pointers are considered prohibited items by FIFA and confiscated when the spectators are checked at the outer stadium perimeter,” a FIFA spokesperson tells Input. “When incidents happen within the applicable scope of FIFA's Disciplinary Code, disciplinary measures may be taken based on article 16, paragraph 2,” which state that teams are liable for inappropriate behavior from their fans and they may be subject to disciplinary measures should they should show any negligence in stopping the “the use of laser pointers or similar electronic devices.”
They won't do anything
CAF is barely a professional football federation, don't expect them to enforce proper rules

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Australia might not make it. Think they have to play UAE in a playoff and then the playoff team in South America which is currently Peru.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Australia might not make it. Think they have to play UAE in a playoff and then the playoff team in South America which is currently Peru.
Aussies really declined in playing standards since the squads they had in late 90s/early 2000s. Shame it's gone down with interest reasonably high over there.

Was looking at their squad and it's very poor in terms of quality....actually naturalized Bruno Fornaroli who's been playing in A league for ages but is mid 30s.

Must be huge motivation for UAE to make this world cup so wouldn't shock me if they beat Australia given I think it's a one off game but can't see either beating Peru.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Aussies really declined in playing standards since the squads they had in late 90s/early 2000s. Shame it's gone down with interest reasonably high over there.

Was looking at their squad and it's very poor in terms of quality....actually naturalized Bruno Fornaroli who's been playing in A league for ages but is mid 30s.

Must be huge motivation for UAE to make this world cup so wouldn't shock me if they beat Australia given I think it's a one off game but can't see either beating Peru.
They don't really like Qatar, although that could be a motivation itself.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Admittedly they won't care about the defeat yesterday, as they' are through to the World Cup without having to worry about an intercontinental playoff. But the USA's away record in Costa Rica is truly shocking. In terms of competitive / qualifying matches, they drew their first match in San Jose in 1985, but have since suffered 10 consecutive defeats (with 2 during the France 98 qualification campaign) and counting there.

There was talk about whether their record in San Jose might improve, after Costa Rica's move from Saprissa's stadium (the monster's cave) to the multi-purpose national stadium including an athletics track ahead of the Brazil 2014 qualification campaign) but that certainly hasn't happened.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Thank feck we are back to normal this weekend. Fed up looking at silly friendly internationals.

antk

Thank feck we are back to normal this weekend. Fed up looking at silly friendly internationals.
There was multiple high stakes matches these last few days? Including the shocking upset of Italy and the last minute mayhem in Algeria? Senegal and Egypt going to the penalties once again?

Ramos

Thought the same thing. New Zealand might even have a better chance of qualifying when they face Costa Rica (who also look a bit on the decline). At least they have a decent striker in Chris Wood, who at that level can make a difference. Should be a close game.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In terms of international football as a whole, even if the overall standard in Europe / UEFA has declined in general, the overall standard in other confederations has declined at a much steeper rate, meaning that the gulf between Europe and the rest of the world is much wider than it was previously.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In terms of international football as a whole, even if the overall standard in Europe / UEFA has declined in general, the overall standard in other confederations has declined at a much steeper rate, meaning that the gulf between Europe and the rest of the world is much wider than it was previously.
Depends which national teams really. Nigeria and Cameroon have nowhere near quality of what they did in early 2000s when they both had top tier players at CL clubs (Geremi, Eto'o, Kanu etc) but I think the Senegal 11 is probably stronger than what they had in 2002. Mendy-Koulibaly-Gueye-Mane, that's a very strong spine and comparable to many european teams.

Asia is tricky. Wouldn't expect much from Australia if they made it but South Korea and Japan are very competitive in group stages nowadays. Japan made last 16 in two of the last three world cups and while Korea didn't get through they did beat Germany which was historic result for them. If Son starts next season well they can be a threat. Iran are also a pain in the backside with how solid they are defensively and Argentina, Portugal and Spain have all struggled v them in previous world cups.

This is also best USA NT since 2002 although may not be reflected in the actual result given issues with the coach. Got some very talented young players though so more likely to be preparing for 2026 but underachieving if they don't make last 16.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can't comment on Africa or Asia, but it seems like South American football has been frozen in time. Chile and Colombia for example used to be teams that had to be respected, but you still see the names from 2014 on their team sheets and so it's perhaps no surprise that they couldn't even qualify. For Argentina you still see di Maria and Otamendi (Messi) starting and not really much in terms of exciting younger players. Brazil look like a serious team on paper, albeit still a shadow of its former star power and Uruguay actually look like they have come up with a new promising generation to follow the footsteps of Suarez, Godin &co.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Depends which national teams really. Nigeria and Cameroon have nowhere near quality of what they did in early 2000s when they both had top tier players at CL clubs (Geremi, Eto'o, Kanu etc) but I think the Senegal 11 is probably stronger than what they had in 2002. Mendy-Koulibaly-Gueye-Mane, that's a very strong spine and comparable to many european teams.

Asia is tricky. Wouldn't expect much from Australia if they made it but South Korea and Japan are very competitive in group stages nowadays. Japan made last 16 in two of the last three world cups and while Korea didn't get through they did beat Germany which was historic result for them. If Son starts next season well they can be a threat. Iran are also a pain in the backside with how solid they are defensively and Argentina, Portugal and Spain have all struggled v them in previous world cups.

This is also best USA NT since 2002 although may not be reflected in the actual result given issues with the coach. Got some very talented young players though so more likely to be preparing for 2026 but underachieving if they don't make last 16.
The overall standard in CONMEBOL has declined sharply. I think that was already evident in the 2019 Copa America before COVID, and again at the last Copa America last summer. It was impressive that CONMEBOL kept pace with Europe / UEFA for as long as it did to be honest, given the latter's general advantages in terms of infrastructure, organisation, logistics and money (I'd wager for example without looking at figures that there's more money overall in Portuguese football than Argentinean football, before we even get to France, Spain etc.). A big / wider gulf between UEFA and CONMEBOL (and it's really growing) was always expected at some point. Many CONMEBOL teams are struggling with their production pipelines and bringing through younger players, and are effectively forced to keep fielding the same players for longer including when they're well past their past.

In terms of CONCACAF, the future looks very rosy for the USA, but the weakness of coach is a big hindrance, and while there were big positives such as the performance at the Azteca and the first half against Panama, I don't think they were particularly impressive overall during qualification, especially on the road. They just suffered their 10th consecutive defeat in a competitive / qualification game away in Costa Rica as well. Also things looking rosy for them is more than offset by the fact that this is the worst Mexican team for more than 30 years at at least with established players not delivering and a huge dearth of talented youngsters waiting in the wings. Also understandably given their resources, Costa Rica are weaker than they were during the previous decade (or also compared to the 00s), and Honduras (also understandably) declined - they used to cause stronger Mexican teams a lot of problems in the past. Canada's rise was great to see.

In terms of Africa, Senegal look good, but I don't think there are any other teams in the continent as good as the Ghana or Ivory Coast teams of the past. I would say that in general African international football has become stagnant at best, and of course we know that many African teams struggle when it comes to delivering and handling the pressure at the World Cup itself.

As far as Asia goes, Japan, Korea and Iran are all good teams and to be respected, but that was also the case in previous years, so I don't think any of those teams have particularly improved. Also the 2019 Asian Cup was widely criticised for the lack of quality.

Another big advantage for Europe is strength in numbers, as when certain teams are struggle and fail to deliver, others are able to effectively step in and take their place. Despite football become more and more global over time, it some ways it has actually become less global with more and more of a centralisation of power in Europe.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I'm not expecting an all european semifinal like in 2018 but yea Europe has pulled far ahead of SA

RedDevilRoshi

Unless you are City or Liverpool fan, the international break was a very welcome distraction considering how shite this season has been. Especially when we’ve got nothing to play for other than top 4 whilst our two biggest rivals are competing in all competitions and both of them could end up with a double or worst case one of them ends up winning a treble or nightmare quadruple.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I'd say Morocco is actually overlooked in Africa. They are great side, especially if stubborn Bosnian coach Vahid Halilhodžić makes peace with Ziyech and Mazraoui.

Bono, Mazraoui, Hakimi, Ziyech, Saiss, Amrabat, En-Nesyri looks pretty good in my opinion, could make trouble to many European sides. It will be shame if Morocco's golden generation goes to waste due to bad luck with draw in 2018 and stubborn coach which could be the case this time.

Bestietom

Unless you are City or Liverpool fan, the international break was a very welcome distraction considering how shite this season has been. Especially when we’ve got nothing to play for other than top 4 whilst our two biggest rivals are competing in all competitions and both of them could end up with a double or worst case one of them ends up winning a treble or nightmare quadruple.
YES, This is what I'm dreading.