Internationals November (Euro Qualifiers + Friendlies)

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm always saddened when the home nations don't qualify.

Ireland are utterly shite but their fans going to a major tournament makes any tournament better. Same for Wales, NI and even Scotland. EURO 2016 was great having four out of the five there.

Have no idea if I'm in the minority on that one though due to rivalry and partisanry.

Djemba-Djemba

Ireland are utterly shite but their fans going to a major tournament makes any tournament better. Same for Wales, NI and even Scotland. EURO 2016 was great having four out of the five there.

Have no idea if I'm in the minority on that one though due to rivalry and partisanry.
I used to think like that but I'll be honest and say not anymore.

Ireland vs Wales or N.Ireland in a playoff would be interesting though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Yes same for me.

Withnail

Of course it doesnt. Maybe it wont go into record books, but for us its a record. The team was half made up by futsal players as no players in the footballers association, even from the lower leagues, wanted to break the strike.

It wasnt even coached by our actual manager
Ok make up your own records and leave out whatever games you like... They all count

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Provided Hungary do not qualify:

Bosnia vs NIR
Slovakia/Wales vs Ireland

First teams mentioned play at home, winners against each other.
Do you know how the matchups work? Who would face who in League C?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looking at the ROI team tonight there are actually some decent players.

Doherty at Wolves has been excellent for them for three seasons now, I'd have him over Coleman tbh who's still good but lost a little since his broken leg. You also have the Sheffield guys who are in superb form and confidence currently, of course McGoldrick isn't prolific but likes of Enda Stevens and Egan have been generally excellent in their positions in premier league this season. Hourihane isn't an amazing midfielder but he's good on set pieces and regularly pops up with goals for us when he starts, surprised he got subbed midway through second half.

Don't really understand the selections of Whelan, McClean or Hendrick though. Guess that sums up Mick a bit, will go for steady eddie 6/10s who run all night when you needed a bit of a wildcard in there.

I'd say the pool of players Trapattoni had was worse tbh. Keith Andrews in CM. :lol: Also likes of Robbie Keane and Duff were past their best when you got to euro 2012.

Just need to hope Connelly who looks good and/or Troy Parrott can really step up in next 2/3 years and be Robbie Keane lite as to me you've never lost that dogged resilience from Mick's first spell and are always in games, even against the best teams in the group.

Withnail

Looking at the ROI team tonight there are actually some decent players.

Doherty at Wolves has been excellent for them for three seasons now, I'd have him over Coleman tbh who's still good but lost a little since his broken leg. You also have the Sheffield guys who are in superb form and confidence currently, of course McGoldrick isn't prolific but likes of Enda Stevens and Egan have been generally excellent in their positions in premier league this season. Hourihane isn't an amazing midfielder but he's good on set pieces and regularly pops up with goals for us when he starts, surprised he got subbed midway through second half.

Don't really understand the selections of Whelan, McClean or Hendrick though. Guess that sums up Mick a bit, will go for steady eddie 6/10s who run all night when you needed a bit of a wildcard in there.

I'd say the pool of players Trapattoni had was worse tbh. Keith Andrews in CM. :lol: Also likes of Robbie Keane and Duff were past their best when you got to euro 2012.

Just need to hope Connelly who looks good and/or Troy Parrott can really step up in next 2/3 years and be Robbie Keane lite as to me you've never lost that dogged resilience from Mick's first spell and are always in games, even against the best teams in the group.
It's not a bad side overall. We're just missing one player who can make something happen which is all you really need at international level. There are some really good young players coming through for first time in a while aswell.

After the euros when Kenny comes in we should see a much better, passing game implemented which we've been crying out for for years.

As for the dogged resilience that existed long before Mick. It's part of the national psyche.

Yagami

Good post resistant

I agree. I'm English but love having the others make it. When they're not facing us I'm generally rooting for them, too.

With that said, even though I'll be happy to see Wales make it, I wouldn't mind Slovakia either because I want to see Lobotka in a major tournament.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
The playoffs will be ridiculously entertaining even if the quality on display won't be elite

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I'm a proud Irishman but have been disallusioned with International football for a long time now. Since Saipan probably.
Tonight's was the first full game I've watched in over 3 years and it was depressingly familiar.
Plenty of effort from us but not guile. McCarthy has had his day in my opinion.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema

Agreed.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
When are the playoffs for the Euros happening because it's usually on this break they do them.

Robertd0803

Thankfully someone else worked out the play off set up because it made less than zero sense to me.

As for Ireland, I dont think we have a hope in the playoffs personally considering we are a bit rubbish at actually winning games.

Ramos

Do you know how the matchups work? Who would face who in League C?
Leauge C is a bit more complicated but that will be:

Scotland (at home) vs either Bulgaria/Israel/Romania/Hungary (one will be drawn of these, others go in League A)
Norway (at home) vs Serbia

Winners play each other (home advantage is drawn).

Last edited:

Ralaks

Ok make up your own records and leave out whatever games you like... They all count
No point arguying this with you, someone is still bitter from last night :)

I hope you make it to the euros, normally you fans are a fun bunch.

Withnail

No point arguying this with you, someone is still bitter from last night :)

I hope you make it to the euros, normally you fans are a fun bunch.
I'm not bitter. We should have played better throughout the campaign and I wasn't expecting Ireland to pull off a miracle last night when they couldn't beat Georgia away.

No need to be patronising, if you go around making up stats you'll get called out.

Ralaks

I'm not bitter. We should have played better throughout the campaign and I wasn't expecting Ireland to pull off a miracle last night when they couldn't beat Georgia away.

No need to be patronising, if you go around making up stats you'll get called out.
To be honest Georgia away is a shit place to play, we drew and the Swiss almost did too, so I don't think you should feel too bad about that game

I wasnt trying to make up stats, maybe I phrased it wrong - 34 games undefeated when the actual/real national team was playing, still a great record of under Hareide anyways

Maybe next time we meet you it will be a better game, he is getting the sack in favor of a more offensive manager (despite having probably the best stats ever for a NT manager for us)

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, one more big tournament for us. :drool:
It was a tough game in the first but we had 3 or 4 chances. Once Vlašić scored it was over, we started playing our game which is devastating for the opponent. It was just a question how much we'll score. Credit to Slovakia manager who drew some conclusions from the 1st game and changed their approach but once we scored game completely changed.
Interesting fact is only 4 players from WC final started yesterday. Some new, young players emerged like Petković, Vlašić, Brekalo, Perić so I'm really looking forward to the summer. We can give anyone in the world a good game.
Even before the goal I felt like it was only a matter of time before you scored. You were playing through their bus with ease! After the goal there was no chance for Slovakia, though. They seemed exhausted from the 1st minute to me.

You definitely have a promising bunch coming through. Some for United to keep an eye on for sure! You're definitely one of the teams I hope we don't face in the tournament :D

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
To be honest Georgia away is a shit place to play, we drew and the Swiss almost did too, so I don't think you should feel too bad about that game

I wasnt trying to make up stats, maybe I phrased it wrong - 34 games undefeated when the actual/real national team was playing, still a great record of under Hareide anyways

Maybe next time we meet you it will be a better game, he is getting the sack in favor of a more offensive manager (despite having probably the best stats ever for a NT manager for us)
We didn't even try to win in Georgia, was a cowardly performance. Our lack of talent up front is a chronic issue though, haven't had a regular goal scorer for nearly 10 years now. It's the reason why we always play better against the big sides too.

Eire Red United

Provided Hungary do not qualify:

Bosnia vs NIR
Slovakia/Wales vs Ireland

First teams mentioned play at home, winners against each other.
You’d fancy us against anyone bar Wales if we play the way we did last night. Hopefully likes of Parrott and Connolly can make an impact in the play offs.

Was impressed with Maguire last night as well when he came on.

lsd

The Oracle
You’d fancy us against anyone bar Wales if we play the way we did last night. Hopefully likes of Parrott and Connolly can make an impact in the play offs.

Was impressed with Maguire last night as well when he came on.

I like Maguire but just feel Mick is going to be too negative as usual in the play offs and keep faith in his favourites .

The best Maguire and co can do will be to get on the bench .

I just can't wait to its over and we get Kenny in and can start to bring in the younger players and play better football

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Arrived at Amsterdam ahead of tonights Netherlands vs Estonia. My second largest stadium visit after Old Trafford, so let's hope for great game.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'm a proud Irishman but have been disallusioned with International football for a long time now. Since Saipan probably.
Tonight's was the first full game I've watched in over 3 years and it was depressingly familiar.
Plenty of effort from us but not guile. McCarthy has had his day in my opinion.
I don’t agree at all. I thought they played great. Of course we are limited. But that performance was brave, determined and not without guile. Some good young players coming in. Hopefully they get through.

Ban

Even before the goal I felt like it was only a matter of time before you scored. You were playing through their bus with ease! After the goal there was no chance for Slovakia, though. They seemed exhausted from the 1st minute to me.

You definitely have a promising bunch coming through. Some for United to keep an eye on for sure! You're definitely one of the teams I hope we don't face in the tournament :D
Yeah you're due a revenge altough you could tell you had that in the nations league. :D

As for our players Petković is one to watch and Chelsea might be sorry for letting Vlašić go.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wow. The Cypriot defender intercepted a pass in his own half near the center of the pitch and ran all the way to goal in a straight line and scored without being challenged.