Internationals November (World Cup Qualifiers)

RedDevilRoshi

UEFA will be gutted Portugal & Italy are in the same path for the draw so one of them will be eliminating the other out.

RedDevilMachine

It's a shame Italy and Portugal are drawn together but they have no one to blame but themselves. They were both cruising in their group and looks set to win the group, but they messed up their last two games. Portugal failure to beat Ireland away, but still have draw at home to Serbia but lost because of Santos's cowardly tactic. Italy's level seems to have gone down after winning the Euros, not sure if it's complacency or fatigue but should have beaten Northern Ireland away and failed to beat the Swiss at home. Italy missing out on the World Cup again will be such an anti-climax after winning the Euros but it will be hilarious. Really not sure who will win between them, I can't imagine Ronaldo not being in the World Cup but Italy will not want to miss out on the World Cup again. Depends on who turns up on that day.

RedDevilMachine

Even if we beat Turkey (and with Santos is a big if) we're not going to beat Italy. The only good thing of failing Qatar will be sending this reactionary to retirement.
If you get past Turkey, you are playing to Italy at home. Perhaps the home factor will help you get through. Portugal is a tournament team after all.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
UEFA will be gutted Portugal & Italy are in the same path for the draw so one of them will be eliminating the other out.
I can’t believe it but… Portugal are not making the World Cup.

They have about a 10% chance of beating Italy.

So in this new format is it 2 legs both games or is it 1 KO round each ?

massi83

I can’t believe it but… Portugal are not making the World Cup.

They have about a 10% chance of beating Italy.

So in this new format is it 2 legs both games or is it 1 KO round each ?
1 game. Portugal would be at home against Italy.

bonothom

Ridiculous really. Italy and Portugal, 2 of the best teams in the world and one of them won't make it. I wonder what pile of shit from central America will make it. Panama maybe. The greatest football tournament in the world where at least a third of the teams are shit and where top football nations such as Portugal or Italy miss out. 13 qualifiers from Europe is ridiculous.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I think Portugal will qualify.

We're close to having 4 World Cups with Italy being irrelevant there which would've been unthinkable in 2006.
Portugal has been irrelevant in World Cups their whole History bar 2006 and 1966.

I rather have Italy in WC than Portugal, I'm sure this Italy can do something in WC (unlike 2010 and 2014), Portugal won't do much...struggle to beat smaller sides, and crash to the first team that has 2 or 3 quality players.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Portugal has been irrelevant in World Cupa their whole History bar 2006 and 1966.

I rather have Italy in WC than Portugal, I'm sure this Italy can do something in WC (unlike 2010 and 2014), Portugal won't do much...struggle to beat smaller sides, and crash to the first team that has 2 or 3 quality players.
Exactly.

When was the last time Portugal did anything in a tournament eh?

nygaard

It's a shame Italy and Portugal are drawn together but they have no one to blame but themselves. They were both cruising in their group and looks set to win the group, but they messed up their last two games. Portugal failure to beat Ireland away, but still have draw at home to Serbia but lost because of Santos's cowardly tactic. Italy's level seems to have gone down after winning the Euros, not sure if it's complacency or fatigue but should have beaten Northern Ireland away and failed to beat the Swiss at home. Italy missing out on the World Cup again will be such an anti-climax after winning the Euros but it will be hilarious. Really not sure who will win between them, I can't imagine Ronaldo not being in the World Cup but Italy will not want to miss out on the World Cup again. Depends on who turns up on that day.
Wasn't it irrelevant if they won or drew that game?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If you get past Turkey, you are playing to Italy at home. Perhaps the home factor will help you get through. Portugal is a tournament team after all.
Tournament team... mainly at Euros and on a downward spiral with a clueless coach who makes 3 Guardiola and 1 Klopp managed players look completely lost in the pitch. My fear is not Tukey by itself, it's really Santos who should have been fired in 2018.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Of course, both us and Portugal have only ourselves to blame for being in this situation, but end of March is so far away it is impossible to judge of they will turn up for the games.

All the luck and the stars’ alignment Mancini enjoyed during Euro 2020 has come back to bite him (and us) in the a*se. He really needs to decide if going with his favorites Insignes and Immobiles or call up a number of hungry but inexperienced youngsters from our promising U21 selection. Names such as Balotelli are being echoed again, and even more mediocre Brasilians queueing up to get an Italian passport.

As usual for us, tragedy is always intertwined with farce. It would be hilarious to go out, but not unheard of, considering that we did notmake Euro 1984 as reigning world champions.

nygaard

Ridiculous really. Italy and Portugal, 2 of the best teams in the world and one of them won't make it. I wonder what pile of shit from central America will make it. Panama maybe. The greatest football tournament in the world where at least a third of the teams are shit and where top football nations such as Portugal or Italy miss out. 13 qualifiers from Europe is ridiculous.
All they had to do is be better than Serbie or Switzerland in a course of 8 games. And they are getting a 2nd chance still. What do you want, automatic qualification for them because they are good?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Of course, both us and Portugal have only ourselves to blame for being in this situation, but end of March is so far away it is impossible to judge of they will turn up for the games.
There's a small big difference here. Mancini is doing a good job, and the biggest critic to be made is the team cannot convert the chances created. Under Santos we are on a death spiral and he even doesn't know what's the best tatical lineup or what players suit more the system. I won't be surprised at all if Kuntz already eliminates him with Turkey.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
how the feck did Italy not win that group though.
Drawed too games against Switzerland, dominated the swiss but couldn't score, Sommer having a great a game, and Jorginho missing 2 penalties in both games (home and away).

Still i think Italy is in this situation for not having a top quality striker, Immobile and Belotti aren't good enough to be considered top material.
Italy have problems scoring, they create many chances, but score only a few of them, as their strikers miss a lot...with Vieri or Del Piero, this team would have already qualified directly.

I can see Mancini resigning if they don't make into WC...it's not his fault his strikers miss a lot or Jorginho miss two crucial penalties, but i think he will take the blame anyway, and will resign for the failure if somehow they miss WC.

avgp_1

Ukraine will breeze through group A.

Expect Russia and Portugal to join them mainly thanks to home advantage in their respective finals

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
There's a small big difference here. Mancini is doing a good job, and the biggest critic to make is the team cannot convert the chances created. Under Santos we are on a death spiral and he even doesn't know what's the best tatical lineup or what players suit more the system. I won't be surprides at all if Kuntz already eliminates him with Turkey.
Nah, mate… as usual, circumstances and fine margins play a huge role in football: you had a legit goal disallowed away + conceded one very late goal at home, both vs group winners Serbia… we failed one penalty away + one penalty at home, both vs group wnners Switzerland, and courtesy of the same man winning all in 2021 and touted for Ballon d’Or. Let’s take all this for what it is, a circus, and good luck with your SF.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nah, mate… as usual, circumstances and fine margins play a huge role in football: you had a legit goal disallowed away + conceded one very late goal at home, both vs group winners Serbia… we failed one penalty away + one penalty at home, both vs group wnners Switzerland, and courtesy of the same man winning all in 2021 and touted for Ballon d’Or. Let’s take all this for what it is, a circus, and good luck with your SF.
Against Serbia and Ireland in 4 matches we only were the better team for 45 minutes in Belgrade. And with all the respect I have for Ireland, it's not as if the current generation is made of Mcgraths, Irwins, Roy Keanes, Robbie Keanes or Damien Duffs. Even if they are renewing the current team. It was a complete failure to be dominated 90 minutes by Serbia at home. Playing like this it's better to not qualify for Qatar and bring someone with fresh ideas.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Against Serbia and Ireland in 4 matches we only were the better team for 45 minutes in Belgrade. And with all the respect I have for Ireland, it's not as if the current generation is made of Mcgraths, Irwins, Roy Keanes, Robbie Keanes or Damien Duffs. Even if they are renewing the current team. It was a complete failure to be dominated 90 minutes by Serbia at home. Playing like this it's better to not qualify for Qatar and bring someone with fresh ideas.
ok, we are the Stan & Ollie of Euro football right now… you with the GOAT and us with the fresh silver scudetto on the shirt. :lol: If you ask me, I can see fear as the deciding factor between your higher individual quality and our better team organisation. See you in late March, then, who knows howthe world will be?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Exactly.

When was the last time Portugal did anything in a tournament eh?
Portugal haven't done much at World Cups considering the talent they had... I'm talking about World Cups ,not Euro.

They are a great Euro team, not a great World Cup team, which isn't a surprise, as they aren't considered a big nation...unlike Germany,Italy,France,England, or Netherlands.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
you with the GOAT
The problem sometimes is really this. At the stage of his carrer his role on the team should be the same one as Klose had in 2014. Starting 1 game and playing 90 minutes, the other game he could be used as someone coming from the bench, not to mention all the tatical imbalances he creates on the team because he is one less player to defend.

It's not a personal attack on him, it simply doesn't make sense we have to adapt our way of playing to suit him. But no one is ready to discuss this in Portugal because you know, it's him, and if you discuss this things you're labelled as an hater.

@Wolf1992 You're on point on your arguments regarding World Cups.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don't think Portugal could beat Italy. Sad Ronaldo can't have his last WC.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Italy going from winning the Euro's to failing to qualify for the World Cup would be hilarious.

Who wins if it's Scotland vs Wales?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
For some reason I thought they wouldn't draw until after SFs but of course it's needed with just 4-5 days between two games.

Yeah incredible tie. Hard to think Italy will miss two consecutive world cups and my hunch is Portugal will miss out so not a season Ronaldo will look back with any fondness if that happens.

Also had a feeling Wales-Scotland would meet and pretty good possibility with who they've drawn.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If you're a top football nation, you'll be in the world cup. Whoever doesn't make it between Portugal and Italy, is not a top football nation as far as this WC goes.

I for one will be enjoying the "piles of shit" from Central America (and Asia, and Africa, I'm sure your definition includes those continents) at the WC.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If you're a top football nation, you'll be in the world cup. Whoever doesn't make it between Portugal and Italy, is not a top football nation as far as this WC goes.

I for one will be enjoying the "piles of shit" from Central America (and Asia, and Africa, I'm sure your definition includes those continents) at the WC.
Amen

massi83

:houllier:

bonothom

You're telling me Portugal and Italy are not top footballing nations? I still say with the strength of Football in Europe there should be more than 13 places. Still if your happy watching Panama or some equivalent instead of seeing some of the best players in the World from Portugal or Italy then that's fine. Always increases England's chances I suppose if either Italy or Portugal are missing.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You're telling me Portugal and Italy are not top footballing nations? I still say with the strength of Football in Europe there should be more than 13 places. Still if your happy watching Panama or some equivalent instead of seeing some of the best players in the World from Portugal or Italy then that's fine. Always increases England's chances I suppose if either Italy or Portugal are missing.
Yeah, why not just make it all European teams and call it the ‘World Euros’?!?! That sounds like fun :rolleyes:

Ramos

Some people on here already forgot Costa Rica topping a group with England, Uruguay and Italy in it.