Internationals November (World Cup Qualifiers)

Mike Smalling

Norway not qualifying for a tournament is the most predictable thing ever.
Haven’t done so since 2000 right? That’s grim, but at least things are looking up with the talent coming through - Haaland and Ødegaard in particular.Good chance to make it to the next Euro’s I would say.

RedDevilRoshi

What I’m hoping for:

Semi Final - Scotland vs North Macedonia / Wales vs Austria

Final - Scotland/North Macedonia vs Wales/Austria

What I’m expecting:

Semi Final - Portugal or Italy vs Poland / Scotland vs Czech Republic

Final - Portugal or Italy/Poland vs Scotland/Czech Republic

the_cliff

How do the play offs work?
The 12 teams will be drawn into 3 paths to qualify.

So there will be 3 places up for grabs and 4 teams will fight it out for each spot, there will be a semi final and a final.

Seeded teams will play the semi final at home as all fixtures are just one leg. Final location is based on the draw.

A bit confusing but that's what I got from it.

TheGame

So there will be 3 places up for grabs and 4 teams will fight it out for each spot, there will be a semi final and a final.

Seeded teams will play the semi final at home as all fixtures are just one leg. Final location is based on the draw.

Thanks, got this from Sky Sports:

The play-offs take place from March 24 to 29 2022, with 10 group runners-up joined by the two best group winners from the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League overall ranking that have neither qualified directly as group winners nor entered the play-offs already as group runners-up.

During a play-off draw on November 26 2021, those 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths for one-off semi-finals and a final, with the three path winners then qualifying for the tournament in Qatar.

The draw will be seeded based upon qualifying-round points. The six best runners-up will be seeded and play their games at home, while the remaining four - plus the two UEFA Nations League teams - are unseeded and will face an away tie.

The draw will take place in Zurich on Friday November 26 from 4pm, UK time.

The six best-ranked runners-up - based on criteria that starts with number of points, goal difference and goals scored - will be allocated to Pot 1 and drawn in six semi-finals as the home team.

The remaining teams will then be drawn from Pot 2 to semi-finals 1-6.

There will be three play-off paths, with each providing a World Cup finalist.

Semi-finals 1 and 2 make up play-off path A, semi-finals 3 and 4 form path B and semi-finals 5 and 6 will contest path C.

To determine which semi-final winner will play at home in the final, an additional draw will be held for each path.

Ramos

That's exactly right. The bolded part is going to be a crucial factor i think.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

The play-offs take place from March 24 to 29 2022, with 10 group runners-up joined by the two best group winners from the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League overall ranking that have neither qualified directly as group winners nor entered the play-offs already as group runners-up.

During a play-off draw on November 26 2021, those 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths for one-off semi-finals and a final, with the three path winners then qualifying for the tournament in Qatar.

The draw will be seeded based upon qualifying-round points. The six best runners-up will be seeded and play their games at home, while the remaining four - plus the two UEFA Nations League teams - are unseeded and will face an away tie.

The six best-ranked runners-up - based on criteria that starts with number of points, goal difference and goals scored - will be allocated to Pot 1 and drawn in six semi-finals as the home team.

Semi-finals 1 and 2 make up play-off path A, semi-finals 3 and 4 form path B and semi-finals 5 and 6 will contest path C.

To determine which semi-final winner will play at home in the final, an additional draw will be held for each path.
Basically 3 mini tournaments with each of them having SFs and Finals ?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Africa Play Offs:

Seeded:
Senegal
Algeria
Morocco
Tunisia
Nigeria

Unseeded:
Cameroon
Egypt
DR Congo
Mali
Ghana
Going to be some brutal match ups there. No wonder Africa can't wait to get 10 places at 2026 or whatever it will be.

Would like to see DR Congo and Mali at world cup as neither have played in it for very long time (don't think Mali ever qualified) and both produced some excellent players for european leagues so they'd be competitive at the actual tournament.

RedDevilRoshi

Similar format for what they used for the Euro 2020 playoffs but with 4 teams qualifying instead of 3.

the_cliff

Going to be some brutal match ups there. No wonder Africa can't wait to get 10 places at 2026 or whatever it will be.

Would like to see DR Congo and Mali at world cup as neither have played in it for very long time (don't think Mali ever qualified) and both produced some excellent players for european leagues so they'd be competitive at the actual tournament.
Yes, that's the thing with African football, although I agree the level is below the top European/South American teams there isn't much in it when it comes to the top 10 in Africa itself. those teams could play each other ten times and it would probably end up being split 5 a piece.

DR Congo are probably the weakest tbh. But Mali have some very good players (Djenepo, Haidara, Bissouma) etc. they definitely have a shout to qualify.

Ramos

The last time Egypt and Algeria faced each other for a WC spot all hell broke loose.

I'm sure the seeded teams will all look to avoid Egypt.

avgp_1

Italy and Portugal one would imagine would sort themselves out in time for the playoffs. Its going to incredibly tight anyway

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I wanna see Portugal and Italy in the WC, i hope they don't face each other.

I also hope Czech Republic qualify, worked in Prague for 4 years, loved the country, especially the rural areas.

the_cliff

The last time Egypt and Algeria faced each other for a WC spot all hell broke loose.

I'm sure the seeded teams will all look to avoid Egypt.
Yeah, that was crazy.

The thing is though the modern Egypt team is nowhere near that team of old. The current team is basically Salah and hope. I'm sure the Egyptian posters would agree with me but they're current team is nowhere near as good and I'm sure they're hoping to avoid Morocco, Senegal and Algeria.

Hanks

Holy...the Canada-Mexico match tonight will be hilarious.

It's been snowing crazy in Edmonton for the last day and the entire pitched is white going by Twitter photos....when the game kicks off, the temperature is expected to be -16 (with windchill).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Antonio has scored an absolute banger against the US.
Jamaica improving, should have enough to get play off place I think.

Top 3 pretty set in stone, will be cool to see Canada at a world cup as they have some very interesting players in a few positions and can use it as warm up for 2026.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@antohan What is Tabarez doing? 5 defenders, 3 DMs and 2 attacking players against Bolivia in a must-win game. I know he’s a legend, but this is a bit too much.
It's Bolivia in La Paz, you can't overexert yourself, loads of injuries and Suárez was honest that he is in no state to play the full 90 there. We've won 1 out of 10 WCQ there!

Mind, I do think he got it the wrong way around. I would have gone for building an advantage in first half and defended/played out the second. You can't expect to nick it and Muslera is a one feck up per game keeper (cost us the opener in three of the last four games).

It's been downhill since the fixture order was messed around in June to give Arg-Bra less exacting games before the Copa. Had that not happened I'm positive we would be 4 points better off and comfortably on our way to Qatar.

Instead, we got an absolutely brutal run of four games you usually lose (Arg-Bra-Arg-BolAway) and confidence is rock bottom at the worst possible time.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Definitely. Qatar world cup is dumb anyways, good thing we're boycotting
Ahhh the humanitarian Italians in action again first the totalitarian russia and now the human rights abusing Qatar

Good to know there are still moral standards out there :smirk:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Watching the heated brazil v Argentina game and I must say Fred is doing really well holding the midfield and also hit the post in what would have been his first international goal if it went in

And also dimaria what a player shame he was such a pussy

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's a draw and another disappointing game but to be fair you can't expect much better when the stakes are that high

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Nigeria won't go far at AFCON or to the WC with their current coach
Rohr will be sacked after the AFCON, guy is under utilizing that team, probably the most talented bunch of players NIgeria has had since the 1994-1998 side. I see Ighalo is still being called up and playing, Rohr seems like a favorites kind of coach, like our Ole.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
As of right now Canada sits top of their WC qualifier table. Still 40 minutes left in Edmonton but the Mexicans aren’t enjoying the minis 15 and the snow.

2-0 now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ahhh the humanitarian Italians in action again first the totalitarian russia and now the human rights abusing Qatar

Good to know there are still moral standards out there :smirk:
Somebody has to lead by example, it has fallen upon us to kick the world's backside and wake them up to the fact this world cup shouldn't happen :cool:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It’s nice to see Canada doing well and topping the group and it would be great to see them at the World Cup. While the overall standard of CONCACAF is not great (actually IMO the standard of international football is noticeably worse now than it was around the turn of the century for example), an improved Canada team definitely benefits the confederation.

I always thought that traditionally their automatic qualification for every Gold Cup was harmful for them, as the best Central American teams like Costa Rica and Honduras at least had more competitive matches through their own qualifying tournament. Also in the past they were known for being terrified when they played away to Central American teams (usually in the pre-qualifying round before the hex) in hostile environments.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Regarding Mexico, this is the worst Mexican team that I’ve seen for a while, and I never thought that Tata Martino was a good choice as manager; I thought that there were better candidates within Liga MX. The media and public really appear to turning on the manager and team, with these back to back defeats following the defeats in the Gold Cup and Nations League finals over the summer.

I always thought that the insular nature of Mexican football held the national team back, though always making it out of their groups at World Cups is still good going. They have an inefficient talent pipeline. Ideally more Mexican players around their mid 20s would play in Europe, freeing up space for younger Mexican players to gain invaluable minutes in Liga MX. But of course with Liga MX paying good salaries, it provides a nice comfort zone for many Mexican players throughout the best years of their career, and means that they can Mexican clubs can afford to charge a premium for them putting off potential European suitors.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Somebody has to lead by example, it has fallen upon us to kick the world's backside and wake them up to the fact this world cup shouldn't happen :cool:
Refreshing to know progenitors of western civilization are back once again kicking sense into their offsprings reminding them of their long lost sense of morality

But all banter aside I hope you oily bastards make it as it just doesn't feel right (that and someone having to stop them pesky Germans)
Though I must admit in case of failure the ridicule generated from such an event would be perhaps too good to pass on