Internationals September (Euro Qualifiers)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Santos been a terrible pick. Will surely be sacked after this.

Lewa might aswell retire from NT and that will spell a 90s type spell in the wilderness for Poland from major tournaments.
Santos was an odd choice. With Poland it seems to be Lewandowski and not much else, which will not lead to much.

Ramos

Poland in trouble. Might not even qualify directly out of that group.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Frenkie and Dumfries were great today. As was Wout. This is really his stage. Low quality slow football with pashun.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Watch Greece still qualify ahead of the Dutch. Seems like Koeman to have his team completely collapse against the French again.
While I'm sure we'll lose to France there's no way Greece will do much better.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Fair enough. Seems like there is some young talent finally coming again over the next 2-3 years, no? At least it seems there are a lot of Dutch youngsters doing pretty well at second tier clubs in some of the big leagues.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fair enough. Seems like there is some young talent finally coming again over the next 2-3 years, no? At least it seems there are a lot of Dutch youngsters doing pretty well at second tier clubs in some of the big leagues.
Simons is a huge talent (though he was crap today) and Gakpo and Malen still have many years left. Still, we wont be anything near the level we were in the late 80s and 90s or the Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie generation.

Amir

He put easier chances than that wide or over.
He's clearly not good enough for the level we aspite to be at.

At the same time, he's better than he's was for us. He'll hardly be the first player, or striker, to have been overawed by playing for United. Especially as time went by and it was clear that the biggest chance he was ever going to get at club football was doomed.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think the quality of CBs at the time VVD was good compared to when Ferdinand etc. were is lower yeah. Also watching both primes I rate Ferdinand/Vidic/Terry more and they all also had far more longevity compared to VVD.
I don't agree. The three you mentioned definitely weren't as good in the build up. And I don't think that suddenly a whole generation of CBs is just bad. Credit where credit is due. But one way or another, this is getting a bit off topic

Lyng

FFS.

A performance to be proud of but not enough in the end. They’ve barely threatened us apart from a few shots from distance.

Should’ve punished them from one of the countless of counter attacks, but we lack quality in terms of the last pass etc.

A very good defensive performance in the low block, but we ran out of gas towards the end. Which is understandable after the 11hr flight (and time zone switch) from Kazakhstan.

The low tempo of Denmark’s game definitely worked for our advantage.

Slovenia away is a must win now.
Yeah it ended up being a battle of the defences. While you had quite a few counter attacks, none of them where really a threat due to Christensen. He completely nullified your attackers and should have been given MotM.
That having been said 0 - 0 would probably have been the most fair result.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
There is a danger though: France plays against Greece in the final qualification round when they are already placed probably as group winner. We need to beat Greece or a least a result against France to have the odds in our favour that the last match won't any longer matter.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There is a danger though: France plays against Greece in the final qualification round when they are already placed probably as group winner. We need to beat Greece or a least a result against France to have the odds in our favour that the last match won't any longer matter.
If we can't beat Greece we deserve to be fecked off really. We're not the world class side we used to be, but comparing the teams we are far stronger in all positions except left back.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
If we can't beat Greece we deserve to be fecked off really. We're not the world class side we used to be, but comparing the teams we are far stronger in all positions except left back.
Oh absolutely and even then we won't get far because of that cnut Koeman.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

:eek:

Would clearly be goal of the round if it wasn't for that ridiculous Litchenstein volley.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yeah it ended up being a battle of the defences. While you had quite a few counter attacks, none of them where really a threat due to Christensen. He completely nullified your attackers and should have been given MotM.
That having been said 0 - 0 would probably have been the most fair result.
I think you deserved the win in the end. Especially with how the last half an hour or so played out. Your CB pairing did really well with our counter attacks, not sure the coaching staff is happy with so many transitions though. I mean you dealt with it well in the end but a better attack with better quality with the last passes/shot selections would've punished you from some of them. The gap between your midfield and defense was huge at times.

Then again you dominated the possession and as I said deserved the win because you actually went for it and took the necessary risks. Pretty happy with how well we defended our box though, must be said. Especially Ivanov was so good. You had a lot of corners just like against San Marino but apart from that it was just a few shots outside the box. Ironically that's how you ended up getting the winner. A big goal and a big win for you, congrats.

Lyng

I think you deserved the win in the end. Especially with how the last half an hour or so played out. Your CB pairing did really well with our counter attacks, not sure the coaching staff is happy with so many transitions though. I mean you dealt with it well in the end but a better attack with better quality with the last passes/shot selections would've punished you from some of them. The gap between your midfield and defense was huge at times.

Then again you dominated the possession and as I said deserved the win because you actually went for it and took the necessary risks. Pretty happy with how well we defended our box though, must be said. Especially Ivanov was so good. You had a lot of corners just like against San Marino but apart from that it was just a few shots outside the box. Ironically that's how you ended up getting the winner. A big goal and a big win for you, congrats.
No you are absolutely right, there where to many transitions, both due to very good defensive work from you and due to a worrying degree of low quality passing on our part.
It was a hard fought match with lots of intensity but no dirty tricks.
I would have been more than happy with a draw. I hope you guys finish strong and get the second place.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
No you are absolutely right, there where to many transitions, both due to very good defensive work from you and due to a worrying degree of low quality passing on our part.
It was a hard fought match with lots of intensity but no dirty tricks.
I would have been more than happy with a draw. I hope you guys finish strong and get the second place.
Yeah it kind of weirdly felt like both teams were actually satisfied with the draw at one stage in the second half.

As long as you beat (or even draw against) Slovenia at home and we avoid a defeat away against them, we should be fine. Although we need to improve our attacking play even against the ”smaller” countries at home to get the wins we need.

Last edited:

Borninthe80ts

Not to derail the thread but I would say Rio had at least two peaks as the best defender in the world. At Leeds alongside Woodgate and one season alongside Vidic.
I’ve watched most of the top defenders from the late 80s till now and all have had peaks and fall. Nesta and Maldini included.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Just 15 minutes but unsurprising how we play much better without Ronaldo

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Great play between Fernandes, Bernardo Silva and classy finish by Ramos 2-0

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
Without Ronaldo we play with 11 players so it flows much better eheh

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ramos makes it 2-0. Bruno great again. Agree with @Sly much more slicker without Ronaldo.
Not to sound ungrateful, I thank him for everything he did for us but father time is undefeated. He's a burden nowadays.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think it will be the last year of Inácio with us. Newcastle or Liverpool will probably get him. They were linked this summer to him.

Taribo's Gap

It's just Luxembourg, but Ramos has looked really good. They really should be looking at using him as striker at the Euros.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Bruno, Leão and Bernardo :drool: