Internationals September (Nations League + Friendlies) | England RELEGATED

TheReligion

Abusive
Ideal for England should be a 4-3-3 with Eze and Bellingham behind Kane as the two #8/10s with Rice behind them and Sterling and Rashford as the wide men. But that would be too progressive for Southgate
Yeah I wouldn’t mind that (I’ve been calling for Eze to get a call up and no idea why he hasn’t).

Bellingham is quite versatile so could play alongside Rice as a 2-1 or with the 10 as a 1-2.

The move to this system is pretty obvious so very frustrating why Southgate hasn’t transitioned to it since the Euros. Yes he doesn’t trust his defence but you play to your strengths and having Rice holding at times can give you a 3 CBs if you so wish.

He’s definitely holding the team back and should have moved on. Using Foden wide in a front 3 is useless as he wants to pick the ball up and drift inside to influence the game. He also doesn’t have the pace to do it.

The Purley King

Foden is an excellent player but strangely ineffectual when playing for England.
If we must have a back 5 and Kane dropping deep then rashford should play to give the attack some pace.
Observations from today are that Bellingham should start with rice in a midfield 2. Kane has to start and the other two wide players should be rashford (if he keeps up current Utd form) and one of sterling (although he is terribly wasteful), sancho or saka.
I can’t see how foden fits in even though he’s probably most talented footballer from the wingers I’ve mentioned

edit - I don’t think we should play 532 though

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Is it just me and I just don't "get him" or is Rice very overhyped?
I've watched around ~10 complete games of England and West Ham and every time I fail to see in what ways he's said to be so special.

He's strong and good in duels and tacklings but with the ball at his feet he's a very ordinary midfielder to me.

Today was even one of the better games I saw of him, yet I was still more impressed by Bellingham once again today.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
The problem is England does not have another striker besides Kane. So the 3-5-2 turns into a 3-6-1.

Put Mount or Grealish or Saka or Rashford and the problem remains. None of Sterling, Foden etc are actual strikers.

TheGame

I don’t think you can play the 10 wide though in this set up. Bit like Bruno at United.

The issue England have is Kane coming deep into the number 10 area. As such I see like this;

1) You either embrace it and use Kane as a false 9 and let him pull defenders out allowing pace either side to run in behind.

2) You keep Kane as a target man and play a number 10 like Foden centrally behind him (then Rice and Bellingham in a two so a United style set up)

I think without pace either side of Kane England lack that punch. You could see when it was changed tonight they pretty much flattened Germany in the space of 3 minutes.

I would personally scrap this wing back nonsense and play a 4-3-3 style set up flexible to the opposition.

Kane as the CF with pace either side.

Then you could either go with a 10 at the head of the midfield 3 or use Kane to drop in and another CM in the tighter games where you want to hit on the break.

Bellingham and Rice would be the two with a 10 but you could add in someone like Henderson/Phillips for a more conservative slant.

This England team would be so dangerous with a Scholes or Carrick in the midfield.
I agree. I wasn’t saying playing the 10 out wide, only that the system should be played with a 10 in front of Rice and Bellingham. Rashford and Saka are the best bets on the wing but I would tell Kane to stop dropping deep and do what he does best, score goals.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think Dier is worthy of a place on form and overall quality. Stones' injury might mean Tomori gets a shot (or Coady, ugh). I would have Tarkowski in the squad instead of Maguire.

I would also switch to a 2. We seem to be generally unable to keep the ball well with the 3 and we need Grealish or Mount in the team along with Rice and Bellingham to add creativity.

I would have:

Pickford
Trippier
Stones if fit, if not Tomori
Dier
Chilwell if fit, if not Shaw
Rice
Bellingham
Grealish
Foden
Sterling
Kane
How can you have Dier on ability over Maguire. That’s fecking madness.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
How can you have Dier on ability over Maguire. That’s fecking madness.
Hes in a good run of form for Conte, deserves his spot imo.

Was a bit sceptical about him in a back 2 as he usually plays as the anchor in a back three, but tbf he has been solid so far.

little.triangles

Just caught the highlights from last night. Germany had a lot of chances in between their two goals. They should have won the game (obviously).

Why were England wearing the Netherlands kit at home?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
A very typical challenge from maguire - wow, do we need to be rid of him

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Dier is worthy of a place on form and overall quality. Stones' injury might mean Tomori gets a shot (or Coady, ugh). I would have Tarkowski in the squad instead of Maguire.

I would also switch to a 2. We seem to be generally unable to keep the ball well with the 3 and we need Grealish or Mount in the team along with Rice and Bellingham to add creativity.

I would have:

Pickford
Trippier
Stones if fit, if not Tomori
Dier
Chilwell if fit, if not Shaw
Rice
Bellingham
Grealish
Foden
Sterling
Kane
Dier is not a player you want in a back 2.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Is it just me and I just don't "get him" or is Rice very overhyped?
I've watched around ~10 complete games of England and West Ham and every time I fail to see in what ways he's said to be so special.

He's strong and good in duels and tacklings but with the ball at his feet he's a very ordinary midfielder to me.

Today was even one of the better games I saw of him, yet I was still more impressed by Bellingham once again today.
I'm with you. Guy's overrated, Might have something to do with the fact that he plays for a London club and he's English.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Just caught the highlights from last night. Germany had a lot of chances in between their two goals. They should have won the game (obviously).

Why were England wearing the Netherlands kit at home?
They must have left out the 3 goals England butchered in the first half then. We should have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

And I think there's a lot of difference between orange and the colour England were wearing.

Are you sure you watched the highlights of England - Germany ?

little.triangles

They must have left out the 3 goals England butchered in the first half then. We should have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

And I think there's a lot of difference between orange and the colour England were wearing.

Are you sure you watched the highlights of England - Germany ?
Yeah well I did watch the highlights on a youtube channel called German Football, so that must be it. Still, the amount of chances England conceded should be alarming.

avgp_1

Serbia look decent on paper but that back 3 can be quite exposed. Chasing a win they can be picked off by Norway

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Horrible kit. Nike is just awful. Also ruined Sporting's kit

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Aaron Hickey looks good. Scotland love a full back don’t they.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Very sad to see Ronaldo like that, there's just nothing there anymore (in before he scores a treble after my message).

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Worst penalty decision you’re likely to see for Scotland but overturned by VAR.

Ball went out for a corner to Scotland but ref gave penalty to Scotland which VAR overturned.

Resulting decision, drop ball to Ukraine. Mental rule