Internationals September (Nations League + Friendlies)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
MATCHDAY 1
Thursday 3 September
A4 Germany vs Spain (20:45)
A4 Ukraine vs Switzerland (20:45)
B3 Russia vs Serbia (20:45)
B3 Turkey vs Hungary (20:45)
B 4 Bulgaria vs Republic of Ireland (20:45)
B 4 Finland vs Wales (20:45)
C3 Moldova vs Kosovo (20:45)
C3 Slovenia vs Greece (20:45)
D1 Faroe Islands vs Malta (20:45)
D1 Latvia vs Andorra (20:45)

Friday 4 September
A1 Italy vs Bosnia and Herzegovina (20:45)
A1 Netherlands vs Poland (20:45)
B1 Norway vs Austria (20:45)
B1 Romania vs Northern Ireland (20:45)
B2 Scotland vs Israel (20:45)
B2 Slovakia vs Czech Republic (20:45)
C4 Belarus vs Albania (20:45)
C4 Lithuania vs Kazakhstan (20:45)

Saturday 5 September
C2 North Macedonia vs Armenia (15:00)
D2 Gibraltar vs San Marino (15:00)
A2 Iceland vs England (18:00)
C1 Azerbaijan vs Luxembourg (18:00)
C1 Cyprus vs Montenegro (18:00)
C2 Estonia vs Georgia (18:00)
A2 Denmark vs Belgium (20:45)
A3 Portugal vs Croatia (20:45)
A3 Sweden vs France (20:45)

MATCHDAY 2
Sunday 6 September
B 4 Wales vs Bulgaria (15:00)
D1 Andorra vs Faroe Islands (15:00)
B3 Hungary vs Russia (18:00)
B 4 Republic of Ireland vs Finland (18:00)
C3 Slovenia vs Moldova (18:00)
A4 Spain vs Ukraine (20:45)
A4 Switzerland vs Germany (20:45)
B3 Serbia vs Turkey (20:45)
C3 Kosovo vs Greece (20:45)
D1 Malta vs Latvia (20:45)

Monday 7 September
C4 Kazakhstan vs Belarus (16:00)
A1 Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Poland (20:45)
A1 Netherlands vs Italy (20:45)
B1 Austria vs Romania (20:45)
B1 Northern Ireland vs Norway (20:45)
B2 Czech Republic vs Scotland (20:45)
B2 Israel vs Slovakia (20:45)
C4 Albania vs Lithuania (20:45)

Tuesday 8 September
C2 Armenia vs Estonia (18:00)
C2 Georgia vs North Macedonia (18:00)
A2 Belgium vs Iceland (20:45)
A2 Denmark vs England (20:45)
A3 France vs Croatia (20:45)
A3 Sweden vs Portugal (20:45)
C1 Cyprus vs Azerbaijan (20:45)
C1 Luxembourg vs Montenegro (20:45)
D2 San Marino vs Liechtenstein (20:45)

Dante

Average bang
Those midfield options look a bit uninspired.

Dier, Foden, Henderson, Mount, Phillips, Rice, Ward-Prowse, Winks

No Maddison, Grealish, Chambelain or Alli. I think that speaks to the kind of formation Southgate will be looking to implement. Hopefully it's not the long-term philosophy.

Flying_Heckfish

No Maddison, Grealish, Chambelain or Alli. I think that speaks to the kind of formation Southgate will be looking to implement. Hopefully it's not the long-term philosophy.
Is Maddison still injured? Surprised on Grealish.

AshRK

Looking forward to see france's squad. Hopefully Martial is selected. The boy deserves it.

Dante

Average bang
Is Maddison still injured? Surprised on Grealish.
Fair point. Didn't consider that.

I'd still like to see a few more attacking midfielders though. My preference would have been 1-in-1-out so that there's a consistent playing style through to the Euros. Even if it was someone like Cantwell or Barkley.

0le

It is Dean, not Jordan. The BBC say Jordan Henderson and Maddison are injured. It makes the decision to leave out Grealish even more surprising and disappointing.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Wonder if we go back 3 with Tierney LCB and Robertson LWB. Or if Clarke will crowbar in Tierney at RB again.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Ødegaard a slight doubt with his knee issues. Really hope he makes it, I'm desperate to see him and Terminator link up.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Where is AWB? Surely him and Trent should be fighting it out for that position but both in the squad? Defensively there’s no one better in the league than AWB?

AshRK

Where is AWB? Surely him and Trent should be fighting it out for that position but both in the squad? Defensively there’s no one better in the league than AWB?
It's the case of southgate showing loyalty towards Trippier. Awb is a top defender but he has to improve his attacking football. He gets in some amazing position but he is hesitant to cross. Considering he is still 22 only, I feel he will improve.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
True, but would actually like AWB just get ready for us. He looked exhausted without playing these games as well.

DarkLord

Wait what? The nations league takes place next month?! Wasn't it postponed to next year. I'm so clueless. Didn't even realise this was a thing. Doesn't the EPL start on 12 September so means all the international players involved will miss out on the EPL opening games?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wait what? The nations league takes place next month?! Wasn't it postponed to next year. I'm so clueless. Didn't even realise this was a thing. Doesn't the EPL start on 12 September so means all the international players involved will miss out on the EPL opening games?
That's the Euro's that's been delayed this is a different competition. There are no qualifiers so this instead of friendlies as such.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
It's the case of southgate showing loyalty towards Trippier. Awb is a top defender but he has to improve his attacking football. He gets in some amazing position but he is hesitant to cross. Considering he is still 22 only, I feel he will improve.
Loyalty was something Southgate always said he wouldn’t use as a reason when picking his squads. He always said he’d want a player in the squad based on merit. I appreciate AWB is not as effective right now going forward but that’s what you have Trent for. Having one world class defensive full back and having one world class attacking full back would be a dream to most coaches. You can also play Trent in a midfield three which if you look at the midfielders Southgate has chosen would be genius idea. Think he’s made a mistake in a number of choices.

I would have recalled Smalling after the season he’s had. I would have also gone for Jack Grealish to add creativity to that midfield. Dier is awful and has had a rubbish season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The tournament will be attempted to be completely this year, will be 3 matches in October and November.

Don't think the euro play offs are being played until March 2021, you'd have thought they'd have wanted to get those out of the way first.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
What exactly is the point in United and City's opening Premier League games being postponed if most their players are being called up to their national teams the week before anyway?

Nickelodeon

When are we expected to have a pre-season if a good chunk of our team is going to be playing on 5th and 9th and our first league game is on 19th?

Havak

Pokemon master
Surprised that Wan-Bissaka and Grealish haven't been selected, unless they're injured or have been given some kind of special circumstance leave. I'm far from the biggest Grealish fan, but I think over the course of the season he was still better than all of Ward-Prowse, Mount and Winks (although the latter makes sense with the lack of good defensive midfield players available).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Would like to see England try two deep CM's (Hendo and Dier?) then just have Kane / Sterling / Sancho / Rashford as a front 4 run riot... be it with Kane or Sterling as the 10. (or even just 4--4-2 it).

Against weaker teams (which is 90% of what England play) it should blow them away.

What exactly is the point in United and City's opening Premier League games being postponed if most their players are being called up to their national teams the week before anyway?
It's properly stupid, It also gives us a disadvantage when we do play our first game as it'll be against a team with one competitive game under their belt.

The club should have just said feck it, we'll play the game.

Panther

3 right backs, 5 centre backs and 0 left backs. Keane, Dier and Mings over Dunk, Saka and Tarkowski. Trippier over AWB. Phillips and Winks over Grealish.

Not sure what Southgate is doing.

SambaBoy

Didn't realise there was internationals on so soon, and there's more in October and November. It's going to be a terrible year in terms of the quality of football. Players are going to be absolutely knackered. Euro's next year will be dire.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
International football next week? Awesome :D

Got to feel bad for the players though, it's going to be real tiring 2020/21 season for them given that there are Euro's next year also.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It is Dean, not Jordan. The BBC say Jordan Henderson and Maddison are injured. It makes the decision to leave out Grealish even more surprising and disappointing.
He didn't exactly behave well during quarantine so that might have something to do with it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I read Netherland - Portugal for a second and nearly shat myself. Poland however, bring em on.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
3 right backs, 5 centre backs and 0 left backs. Keane, Dier and Mings over Dunk, Saka and Tarkowski. Trippier over AWB. Phillips and Winks over Grealish.

Not sure what Southgate is doing.
Yeah the lack of left back is, well, daft. I don't mind AWB getting more rest (he needs it, and come to think of it, Maguire too). Grealish not being picked will aid us in the market, if we do indeed end up going for him.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

New Barca wonderkid Trincão gets his first callup and Renato Sanches returns to the national team after a good season at Lille as does Andre Gomes after recovering from that awful injury. No William though :(

Consensus is that Pizzi and Ricardo Horta should have been called up instead of Sergio Oliveira and Diogo Jota.

Last edited: