Internationals September (Nations League + Friendlies)

Santoryo

ripping the reward
That is too attacking a lineup for Deschamps. I'm not sure if he'd be comfortable with it.
My thoughts exactly. Deschamps will be looking at that, sees Pogba and Camavinga together and thinks too risky in midfield. But one can always hope.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Time for Southgate to call back Greenwood to bang in a few goals for him :wenger:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
What the hell is this sky post-match coverage? Hardly a word of criticism about the teams performance! It's just focusing on individuals.

saivet

It sounds like Southgate see this as a formation to potentially use against the bigger sides. He also mentioned that with the withdrawals and match fitness of certain players he didn't have the players for a 433.

Also sounds like Greenwood and Foden will be considered for the next squad.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It sounds like Southgate see this as a formation to potentially use against the bigger sides. He also mentioned that with the withdrawals and match fitness of certain players he didn't have the players for a 433.

As they should. They got kicked out from the team for the game against Sweden which should be punishment enough. They didn't commit murder or some sort of horrendous act, they made a dumb mistake which they've paid for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Interesting. I can't recall those matches, so if you can give me some info, I'd appreciate that.
You can take pretty much any game before the Euro, keep in mind that Camavinga isn't an attacking player he is good on the ball but primarily a defensively sound box to box that can also play as a deep lying playmaker.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
You can take pretty much any game before the Euro, keep in mind that Camavinga isn't an attacking player he is good on the ball but primarily a defensively sound box to box that can also play as a deep lying playmaker.
Sweet. I'll check them out.

Regarding Camavinga, that may be his profile, but he's been playing a more free, attacking role for Rennes recently, why is why I commented on the lineup being too attacking for Deschamps. Ideally, he'd be picking the ball up in deeper areas and spraying it around or even going forward if a 3rd midfielder drops back, but I'm not sure if Deschamps would trust either Pogba or Camavinga to do enough defensively without having two more defensive full backs.

JPRouve

Scout
Sweet. I'll check them out.

Regarding Camavinga, that may be his profile, but he's been playing a more free, attacking role for Rennes recently, why is why I commented on the lineup being too attacking for Deschamps. Ideally, he'd be picking the ball up in deeper areas and spraying it around or even going forward if a 3rd midfielder drops back, but I'm not sure if Deschamps would trust either Pogba or Camavinga to do enough defensively without having two more defensive full backs.
I'm a bit confused here, why wouldn't Deschamps trust Pogba and Camavinga when Pogba has done his defensive job for France and Camavinga is one of the most defensively sound midfielder in Ligue 1? They would have defensive responsiblities like every other central midfielders on earth and they are both able to do it since they have already done it and Camavinga did it perfectly today. In reality Camavinga wouldn't be different to Matuidi who was playing very high and spending a lot of time in the last third, the difference is that Camavinga is a lot better on the ball.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm a bit confused here, why wouldn't Deschamps trust Pogba and Camavinga when Pogba has done his defensive job for France and Camavinga is one of the most defensively sound midfielder in Ligue 1? They would have defensive responsiblities like every other central midfielders on earth and they are both able to do it since they have already done it and Camavinga did it perfectly today. In reality Camavinga wouldn't be different to Matuidi who was playing very high and spending a lot of time in the last third, the difference is that Camavinga is a lot better on the ball.
I now see what you were alluding to when it comes to your suggested setup for France.

I'm only speculating when it comes to Deschamps and his assessment of Camavinga. Maybe he does see him as suiting the role that Matuidi played, in which case I can see him going with this. On the other hand, he has Moussa Sissoko who can play that role from the right side, so he might go with a more attacking player on the left in place of Camavinga. Still, I can see Deschamps playing that kind of team now.

JPRouve

Scout
I now see what you were alluding to when it comes to your suggested setup for France.

I'm only speculating when it comes to Deschamps and his assessment of Camavinga. Maybe he does see him as suiting the role that Matuidi played, in which case I can see him going with this. On the other hand, he has Moussa Sissoko who can play that role from the right side, so he might go with a more attacking player on the left in place of Camavinga. Still, I can see Deschamps playing that kind of team now.
His strange love for Sissoko could be an issue but the fact that Deschamps picked Camavinga and actually used him during his first call up is telling that's pretty much what happened with Mbappé. And he was already talking about him 10 months ago.

Djemba-Djemba

You are missing what he can offer (on form)
Dele Alli was routinely fecking terrible for England.

Even when he was playing great for you lot, he'd turn up on international duty and stink the place out, he should be nowhere near the squad now.

TheGame

I can't defend him after that. Why on earth is he playing 5 at the back and 2 defensive mids against Denmark. He went for 2 DMs away to Czech Republic and it was a disaster. Changed it and we won the next game 6-0. Why has he gone back to it again. Ridiculous.
We’ve got exciting full backs, Grealish in the no 10 and Sterling, Sancho and Kane in their usual positions if we play 4-2-3-1 which the majority of top English teams play. He needs to be called out to explain why he played like that and hope he’s learnt his lesson.

TheGame

He only needed to bring in Grealish or amount for a centre back and they could have played 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. That explanation doesn’t make sense.

Tel074

These games are glorified friendlies. Especially at this stage of the season with everything that has gone on for the past few months. These games really mean nothing in the long term.
That doesn't take away from the fact England are horrible to watch

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Dreadful performance. I'll give Southgate a bye as he was experimenting (albeit a stupid experiment) and we had a number of players out, but hopefully we don't see that level of football again.

Hopefully that is the nail in the coffin for a back 3.
Agree he was trying something different if needed in future. We have four points from two away games, at a time when the players might have one eye on the start of the season, not that they should. When the next games come round, he will have more players to choose from and they will be fitter. The Belgium game is the one to judge.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I mean they did have VVD, the biggest titan of them all, so I think you're being a bit harsh on your boys. Thought you looked much the better side and quietly impressive.
Possibly yes, still three WC disasters in 2010 (out at group stage), 2014 (out at group stage) and 2018 (out at playoff, not even in) make any fan aware these are just insignificant steps forward, so let’s wait for crunch time. Mancini is doing well for sure but, again, he is just another poser at heart, and glorified friendlies like these are worth nothing.