IPL 2018

NinjaFletch

Think the auction is tonight (tomorrow?). Obviously it is the mega auction (which I think is a really daft idea fwiw) so lots of potential team combinations.

Take it the fantasy league will be running again as well.

zing

Zingle balls
I find the auction very interesting always.

Looking forward to seeing how strategies have evolved. Delhi fail every time. Csk, royals and Kolkata are generally the smarter teams.

Sandyman

I find the auction very interesting always.

Looking forward to seeing how strategies have evolved. Delhi fail every time. Csk, royals and Kolkata are generally the smarter teams.
I have the opposite reaction! Why do they still persist with the auction? Other than it being an obvious money generating exercise?

It's been 10 years. Surely they can come up with some form of transfer guidelines to enable players changing sides rather than this auction business. The constant chopping and changing is annoying.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I have the opposite reaction! Why do they still persist with the auction? Other than it being an obvious money generating exercise?

It's been 10 years. Surely they can come up with some form of transfer guidelines to enable players changing sides rather than this auction business. The constant chopping and changing is annoying.
Didn't they have this thing where they used to freeze the teams for a few years? Then the auction would be released and emerging players. Or have I made that up?

Sandyman

Didn't they have this thing where they used to freeze the teams for a few years? Then the auction would be released and emerging players. Or have I made that up?
I don't think the freezing thing has happened. The auction is held annually. Or, maybe am blacking out if it happened since I have generally become disillusioned with the IPL over the years.

The crazy thing is they do have rules in place to trade players during a trading window. I guess a positive of having an auction enables different teams to have different "superstars" each season which could mean better sides overall. But, still think they could do away with the players changing teams every season.

zing

Zingle balls

I think the repeated auctions in itself is a bad idea and doesn't help with building franchise identity - but I just like seeing how teams go from the ground up.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I don't think the freezing thing has happened. The auction is held annually. Or, maybe am blacking out if it happened since I have generally become disillusioned with the IPL over the years.

The crazy thing is they do have rules in place to trade players during a trading window. I guess a positive of having an auction enables different teams to have different "superstars" each season which could mean better sides overall. But, still think they could do away with the players changing teams every season.
Yeah I think I've just got confused with the retaining players process which apparently still exists but is not widely used outside of the big Indian players.

Sandyman

I think the repeated auctions in itself is a bad idea and doesn't help with building franchise identity - but I just like seeing how teams go from the ground up.
Considering that the players themselves set their base price, does the auctioning amount go to the player? Or, the player just gets a contract and the winning bid amount goes to the IPL?
Yeah I think I've just got confused with the retaining players process which apparently still exists but is not widely used outside of the big Indian players.
I think a franchise can retain up to 5 players, but each player costs them a base price, which gets reduced from their budget. Each team has the same fixed budget for the auction, so they need to be very careful about who to retain.

NinjaFletch

Considering that the players themselves set their base price, does the auctioning amount go to the player? Or, the player just gets a contract and the winning bid amount goes to the IPL?
Player, but it's just their salary cost rather than what they're actually paid. E.g. Virat was/is paid more by RCB than is taken out of their budget

I think a franchise can retain up to 5 players, but each player costs them a base price, which gets reduced from their budget. Each team has the same fixed budget for the auction, so they need to be very careful about who to retain.
Changes every year, this year I think it's 2 retained and 2 rights to match.

Sandyman

Player, but it's just their salary cost rather than what they're actually paid. E.g. Virat was/is paid more by RCB than is taken out of their budget

Changes every year, this year I think it's 2 retained and 2 rights to match.
Cheers! Forgot about the rights to match thing. Complicating the auction process just to have something different.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Rajasthan buying well so far.

zing

Zingle balls
Some 16 year old Afghan sold for like $600K. Wow.

kotha

Is Stokes available for the whole IPL this year?? Remember him leaving during the semi finals last year!!

zing

Zingle balls
What Rashid Khan did previously helping his hype.

Mujeeb jadran is expected to be one of those mystery type spinners.
Just saw some youtube highlights of him bowling. Looks like a Mendis type of bowler - never been a fan of those bowlers.

Like Rashid Khan a lot.

FromTheBench

Just saw some youtube highlights of him bowling. Looks like a Mendis type of bowler - never been a fan of those bowlers.

Like Rashid Khan a lot.
He destroyed Newzealand U19 the other day in those conditions at the U19 world cup.

KM

English fans should be cheering for Rajasthan- Stokes, Buttler, Archer in the same team.

DD have got an incredible team this year too plus a very good captain.
DD:

Gambhir
Roy/Munro
Pant
Iyer
Maxwell
Morris
Shankar
Rabada
Mishra
Shami
Nadeem/Yadav

They could easily drop Roy or Munro and play Shaw and get Boult in the lineup.

CSK has been horrid. Only Thakur the pace bowler.

zing

Zingle balls
English fans should be cheering for Rajasthan- Stokes, Buttler, Archer in the same team.

DD have got an incredible team this year too plus a very good captain.
DD:

Gambhir
Roy/Munro
Pant
Iyer
Maxwell
Morris
Shankar
Rabada
Mishra
Shami
Nadeem/Yadav

They could easily drop Roy or Munro and play Shaw and get Boult in the lineup.

CSK has been horrid. Only Thakur the pace bowler.

Think they were horrid but turned it around in the last hour.

Mark Wood is a great signing. Rapid and bowls good areas without being predictable, can do well in sub-continental pitches I think. Vijay had to be signed as opening with two overseas players is not an option the way the auction went for them.

Still a terrible squad for a 3 year horizon but good for 1 season.

Vijay, Watson/du Plessis, Raina, Dhoni, Kedhar Jadhav, Bravo, Jadeja, Harbhajan, Tahir, Wood, Thakur

Or drop Thakur for Rayudu..

Some teams that started great did not finish the auction well.

KM

Think they were horrid but turned it around in the last hour.

Mark Wood is a great signing. Rapid and bowls good areas without being predictable, can do well in sub-continental pitches I think. Vijay had to be signed as opening with two overseas players is not an option the way the auction went for them.

Still a terrible squad for a 3 year horizon but good for 1 season.

Vijay, Watson/du Plessis, Raina, Dhoni, Kedhar Jadhav, Bravo, Jadeja, Harbhajan, Tahir, Wood, Thakur

Or drop Thakur for Rayudu..

Some teams that started great did not finish the auction well.
Apart from the overseas batsmen and Raina, that still doesn't look like an impressive batting lineup tbh. That spinning options are world class though. Harbhajan is very good in IPL. Personally found it staggering that CSK didn't go for Sundar. Very, very talented and local lad too.

KKR have built a solid team again. Probably the best 4 overseas players if they are all fit. Lynn, Starc, Russell and Narine.

Would love to see Ashwin captain a team. One of the most smartest men in our team and I think he'd be great as a captain. Kings XI doesn't have a captain too.

zing

Zingle balls
Apart from the overseas batsmen and Raina, that still doesn't look like an impressive batting lineup tbh. That spinning options are world class though. Harbhajan is very good in IPL. Personally found it staggering that CSK didn't go for Sundar. Very, very talented and local lad too.

KKR have built a solid team again. Probably the best 4 overseas players if they are all fit. Lynn, Starc, Russell and Narine.
Sundar surprised me, but I think they made mistakes earlier in the auction(Jadhav) that made some purchases seem superfluous.

Agree batting line-up has a lot of past-it players but I am thinking it is good enough for IPL.

KKR.. I am not so sure. Batting is missing something I think. Their foreign quartet is fantastic, as good as any. They don't have anyone dependable in their batting line-up for me. Lynn, Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik, Rana, Russell are all fantastic support players but it is just lacking 1 top player. Any of Uthappa, Rana and Dinesh could be that player but it's not realized potential yet.

KM

Sundar surprised me, but I think they made mistakes earlier in the auction(Jadhav) that made some purchases seem superfluous.

Agree batting line-up has a lot of past-it players but I am thinking it is good enough for IPL.

KKR.. I am not so sure. Batting is missing something I think. Their foreign quartet is fantastic, as good as any. They don't have anyone dependable in their batting line-up for me. Lynn, Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik, Rana, Russell are all fantastic support players but it is just lacking 1 top player. Any of Uthappa, Rana and Dinesh could be that player but it's not realized potential yet.
I think Lynn certainly is that 1 top player in batting to be honest. They have also got Shubman Gill who's better than Shaw at limited over level and will be in our first team within the next three years. They've made a very smart buy in Johnson too.

Virender Sehwag's team KXIP buys his nephew(Mayank Dagar). Somethings in India never change.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think Chennai would do poorly in IPL this season. Someone like Raina who their batting revolved around, is past his best and Dhoni is just a mascot for the team now.
Rajasthan has a good team but is heavily dependent on some key players coming good.
RCB have underperformed yet again IMO, they should just fire Vettori.
Best squad/team is Sunrisers for me, they lack that a big lower order batsmen but otherwise a very good group of players.
Punjab is an odd one, seemingly they have bought a lot of best players from second tier. They will suffer as a result, best case is playoffs for them.
Delhi would depend entirely on Gambhir's ability and motivation to get the players up and running, plus Pant/Iyer coming good.
KKR are a weird one, they lack a proper leader and would do poorly as a result. Bizarre decision not to retain Gambhir IMO.
Mumbai's desi quartet is very strong- Sharma, Bumrah, Pandya brothers, their fortune will be entirely dependent on foreign contingent coming good - Pollard, Cutting, Cummins, Lewis, Mustafizur. They needed a big foreign batsman IMO and will need someone like Lewis to come good now.

KM

I think Chennai would do poorly in IPL this season. Someone like Raina who their batting revolved around, is past his best and Dhoni is just a mascot for the team now.
Rajasthan has a good team but is heavily dependent on some key players coming good.
RCB have underperformed yet again IMO, they should just fire Vettori.
Best squad/team is Sunrisers for me, they lack that a big lower order batsmen but otherwise a very good group of players.
Punjab is an odd one, seemingly they have bought a lot of best players from second tier. They will suffer as a result, best case is playoffs for them.
Delhi would depend entirely on Gambhir's ability and motivation to get the players up and running, plus Pant/Iyer coming good.
KKR are a weird one, they lack a proper leader and would do poorly as a result. Bizarre decision not to retain Gambhir IMO.
Mumbai's desi quartet is very strong- Sharma, Bumrah, Pandya brothers, their fortune will be entirely dependent on foreign contingent coming good - Pollard, Cutting, Cummins, Lewis, Mustafizur. They needed a big foreign batsman IMO and will need someone like Lewis to come good now.
Disagree. Maxwell, Morris and Rabada are all excellent buys. Munro has the potential to be the bargain of the tournament.

I think you're overrating SRH too. Everyone is rating them highly but I don't rate their batting too much apart from Warner.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Disagree. Maxwell, Morris and Rabada are all excellent buys. Munro has the potential to be the bargain of the tournament.

I think you're overrating SRH too. Everyone is rating them highly but I don't rate their batting too much apart from Warner.
Agree on Munro and Morris. Maxwell is just a gamble. Remains to be seen if Rabada can be an effective T20 bowler.

SRH has Dhawan who is the perfect flat track bully for IPL Pitches and Manish Pandey who has proven himself multiple team for KKR as an innings builder and a finisher. They have Williamson too. Top 4 is solid international quality easy. But like I said they lack that lower order presence and might need someone like Brathwaite coming good.

NinjaFletch

Is Stokes available for the whole IPL this year?? Remember him leaving during the semi finals last year!!
There's question marks if he will even be available at all with his court case hanging over his head, but even if he is all the test players are coming back two weeks early.

On the subject I'm surprisingly unsurprised by Root not getting picked up. Yeah, he was expensive, no he doesn't have any IPL experience and no he wasn't available for the whole tournament, but he's comfortably the best of the Fab 4 in this format behind Kohli and I would have thought the England captain would have some sort of marketing profile in India.

prath92

The Auction for 2018 is over

Royal Challengers Bangalore

1. Virat Kohli
2. AB De Villiers
3. Sarfaraz Khan
4. Moeen Ali
5. Mohammed Siraj
6. Tim Southee
7. Chris Woakes
8. Parthiv Patel
9. Brendon Mccullum
10. Nathan Coulter-Nile
11. Klwant Khejroliya
12. Pawan Negi
13. Mandeep Singh
14. Aniruddha Joshi
15. Quinton De Kock
16. Washington Sundar
17. Navdeep Saini
18. Colin De Grandhomme
19. Umesh Yadav
20. Yuzhvendra Chahal
21. Manan Vohra
22. Pavan Deshpande
23. Murugan Ashwin
24. Aniket Chaudhary

Chennai Super Kings

1. MS Dhoni
2. Suresh Raina
3. Ravindra Jadeja
4. Dwayne Bravo
5. Faf Du Plessis
6. Shane Watson
7. Harbhajan Singh
8. Kedar Jadhav
9. Lungi Ngidi
10. Mark Wood
11. Karn Sharma
12. Imran Tahir
13. Mitchell Santner
14. Ambati Rayudu
15. Murali Vijay
16. Sam Billings
17. Dhruv Shorey
18. Shardul Thakur
19. KM Asif
20. Deepak Chahar
21. Kanishk Seth
22. Jagadeesan Narayan
23. Kshitiz Sharma
24. Monu Singh
25. Chaitanya Bishnoi

Kolkata Knightriders

1. Sunil Narine
2. Andre Russell
3. Dinesh Karthik
4. Chris Lynn
5. Mitchell Starc
6. Cameron Delport
7. Piyush Chawla
8. Robin Uthappa
9. Kuldeep Yadav
10. Javon Searles
11. Ishank Jaggi
12. Vinay Kumar
13. Mitchell Johnson
14. Nitish Rana
15. Rinku Singh
16. Apoorv Wankhede
17. Shivam Mavi
18. Shubman Gill
19. Kamlesh Nagarkoti

Kings XI Punjab

1. Axar Patel
2. R Ashwin
3. Mujeeb Zadran
4. Yuvraj Singh
5. Mayank Agarwal
6. KL Rahul
7. Chris Gayle
8. Karun Nair
9. Marcus Stoinis
10. Manoj Tiwary
11. Pradeep Sahu
12. Andrew Tye
13. Aaron Finch
14. Akshdeep Nath
15. Manzoor Dar
16. David Miller
17. Mohit Sharma
18. Barinder Sran
19. Ben Dwarshius
20. Mayank Dagar
21. Ankit Rajpoot

Delhi Daredevils

1. Chris Morris
2. Shreyas Iyer
3. Rishabh Pant
4. Jason Roy
5. Colin Munro
6. Glenn Maxwell
7. Gautam Gambhir
8. Naman Ojha
9. Trent Boult
10. Kagiso Rabada
11. Mohammed Shami
12. Daniel Christian
13. Prithvi Shaw
14. Abhishek Sharma
15. Manjot Kalra
16. Jayant Yadav
17. Rahul Tewatia
18. Amit Mishra
19. Vijay Shankar
20. Shahbaz Nadeem
21. Sandeep Lamichhane
22. Avesh Khan
23. Sayan Ghosh
24. Harshal Patel
25. Gurkeerat Singh

Rajasthan Royals

1. Steven Smith
2. Ajinkya Rahane
3. Dhawal Kulkarni
4. Ben Stokes
5. Stuart Binny
6. D'Arcy Short
7. Jos Bttler
8. Sanju Samson
9. Jaydev Unadkat
10. Shreyas Gopal
11. Ankil Sharma
12. Rahul Tripathi
13. Zahir Khan
14. Dushmantha Chameera
15. Prashanth Chopra
16. Jofra Archer
17. Ben laughlin
18. Jatin Saxena
19. Krishnappa Gowtham
20. Mahipal Lomror
21. Aryaman Birla
22. S Midhun
23. Anureet Singh

Mumbai Indians

1. Rohit Sharma
2. Jasprit Bumrah
3. Hardik Pandya
4. Kieron Pollard
5. Krunal Pandya
6. Mustafizur Rahman
7. JP Duminy
8. Evin Lewis
9. Aditya Tare
10. Ben Cutting
11. Jason Behrendorff
12. Pradeep Sangwar
13. Pat Cummins
14. Mohsin Khan
15. Ankul Roy
16. Rahul Chahar
17. Saurabh Tiwary
18. Siddhesh Lad
19. Suryakumar Yadav
20. Ishan Kishan
21. Akila Dananjaya
22. MD Nidheesh
23. Sharad Lumba
24. Tajinder Singh
25. Mayank Markande

Sunrisers Hyderabad

1. David Warner
2. Bhuvaneshwar Kumar
3. Rashid Khan
4. Shikhar Dhawan
5. Deepak Hooda
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Billy Stanlake
8. Carlos Brathwaithe
9. Mohammad Nabi
10. Wridhiman Saha
11. Kane Williamson
12. Manish Pandey
13. Yusuf Pathan
14. Siddharth Kaul
15. Bipul Sharma
16. Sachin Baby
17. Chris Jordan
18. Mehdi hasan
19. Basil Thampi
20. Ricky Bhui
21. Syed Khaleel Ahmed
22. Shreevats Goswami
23. Sandeep Sharma
24. T Natarajan
25. Tanmay Agarwal

iKnowNothing

Guess RCB went overboard in trying to improve their bowling attack. Now it looks like they have ton of bowling options with a poor batting set up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Guess RCB went overboard in trying to improve their bowling attack. Now it looks like they have ton of bowling options with a poor batting set up.
Kohli, ABD, De Kock, McCullum then with domestic players like Vohra, Mandeep is a decent attack.

Can't wait to see McCullum playing in Bangalore, short boundaries and a big hitter.

Anyways always feel excited during auction only to be disappointed when actual season starts.

KM

Keep the bullshit away from this thread. We know the reason why they are banned. Right or wrong, it doesn't matter but there's no point in discussing it here.