IPL 2020

NinjaFletch

Haven’t understood CSK run chase at all.
Unless they are trying to protect NRR.
Especially when you consider that hitting 6s has looked effortless for most of the players that have attempted it, the ground is a postage stamp and I'm really not sure 214 was a huge score on it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Especially when you consider that hitting 6s has looked effortless for most of the players that have attempted it, the ground is a postage stamp and I'm really not sure 214 was a huge score on it.
Yeah. They coasted on autopilot for 4 middle overs. Plus rubbish knock from Vijay.
Sending in jadeja so late when game is over :houllier:
Why did dhoni come in so late and wit til final over to start six hitting :confused:

looks like that’s what will cost them the game.

This stadium is going to record some huge scores over next weeks.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think that was the plan. NRR will become crucial as it reaches the latter part of the group stage.
If CSK had shown any intent whatsoever they would have won this match.
They could have won if batting line up was different and had some more intent in middle overs. As Ninja says; it’s a small ground so six hitting was quite easy

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It may well come back to haunt me, but I really don't like players like Smith opening in T20s. It strikes me as regressive thinking which still thinks that 60 (40) is a better score than 30(10). T20s aren't won by the team that has their best batsman facing the most balls but their most destructive ones, it's interesting that whilst some sides have worked that out (for example opening with Narine) others are still wasting powerplay overs.
I think England are basically at this point in T20I's. Even pacing an innings in T20's is predicated on being able to smash the ball out of the park at the end, something that Smith was not able to do today. It's been amusing to watch international sides struggle with their team balance because all their top bats open for their franchises.

NinjaFletch

I think England are basically at this point in T20I's. Even pacing an innings in T20's is predicated on being able to smash the ball out of the park at the end, something that Smith was not able to do today. It's been amusing to watch international sides struggle with their team balance because all their top bats open for their franchises.
Faf's knock was a really good example of that, too. He did get the acceleration and, on paper, and by conventional wisdom, he played a good knock. But his being 16 off 17 at the point he was was a huge part of why CSK lost today, he got bollocked by Fleming, and although he went ballistic at the end it was too little too late.

I know there's been a move towards some better metrics with things like smart runs etc, but I really do think T20 cricket needs a whole new set of stats.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Faf's knock was a really good example of that, too. He did get the acceleration and, on paper, and by conventional wisdom, he played a good knock. But his being 16 off 17 at the point he was was a huge part of why CSK lost today, he got bollocked by Fleming, and although he went ballistic at the end it was too little too late.
I know there's been a move towards some better metrics with things like smart runs etc, but I really do think T20 cricket needs a whole new set of stats.
Or he needed that time to get his eye in? I don't know ... first stage of his innings was really strange. Also Vijay. Maybe match fixing?

Harsha and co equally confused.

AshRK

Or he needed that time to get his eye in? I don't know ... first stage of his innings was really strange. Also Vijay. Maybe match fixing?

Harsha and co equally confused.

Csk will continue to have this problem. They do not have aggressive batting line up and will always struggle chasing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Which middle order wins the game?

Pollard, HPandya, KPandya
vs
Morgan, Karthik, Russell

KKR looks amazing and consistent to me

AshRK

Can easily see KKR dropping karthik as their captain and pick Morgan which is what it should be.

JohnnyKills

Tiwari did ok but surely MI missed a trick not promoting Hardik and Pollard. The big man's having to feed off scraps here and he could have had a few balls to really get his eye in.

They could easily regret that with this KKR batting lineup.

JohnnyKills

Not bad from MI at the end but they should have got 210-220 really.

On a side note, two hours to bowl 20 overs is ridiculous. The IPL is massively in love with itself and takes every opportunity to slow things down for more airtime and for more self-proclaimed drama.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Tiwari did ok but surely MI missed a trick not promoting Hardik and Pollard. The big man's having to feed off scraps here and he could have had a few balls to really get his eye in.

They could easily regret that with this KKR batting lineup.
Same mistakes made by CSK yesterday too.

NinjaFletch

Not bad from MI at the end but they should have got 210-220 really.

On a side note, two hours to bowl 20 overs is ridiculous. The IPL is massively in love with itself and takes every opportunity to slow things down for more airtime and for more self-proclaimed drama.
And worst of all it got us the cnuting hundred because the ECBs entire calculation for how long T20 games take was based off of the IPLs stupid pageantry.

JohnnyKills

The way English players are going in this year's IPL, wouldn't bet against Morgan winning this for KKR.

JohnnyKills

Why have KXIP started with Gayle?
They often start with dodgy off-spinners. The thinking, as I understand it, isn't to try and get wickets or make a great start; it's to try and squeeze an over of part-time bowling out of the way while the batsman are still getting settled, so they have more bowling options later on.

I know Lancs do it with Croft (who's a very similar bowler) in the T2O Blast.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They often start with dodgy off-spinners. The thinking, as I understand it, isn't to try and get wickets or make a great start; it's to try and squeeze an over of part-time bowling out of the way while the batsman are still getting settled, so they have more bowling options later on.

I know Lancs do it with Croft (who's a very similar bowler) in the T2O Blast.
I meant Punjab have dropped Chris Gayle from first 2 games, including today. (Typo in my original post).
In doing so, batting line up looks very light on explosive hitting. Big problem when Maxwell fails, like he just did.

Cloud7

Kohli is normally impeccable in the field. Crazy stuff here.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What a pleasure to watch one of the great IPL innings ever from KL Rahul.

Punjab/Rahul scored 74 off final 4 overs and 49 off final 2 overs. :eek:

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Disappointing run chase from RCB. Was hoping for some fireworks from Kohli, Finch and ABD.

zing

Zingle balls
Moeen, Morris, Udana all should be starting for RCB imo..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Don’t understand selection of Phillipe when ABdV can keep.
So pick Moeen Ali instead and get a free bowling option too plus tonnes of experience.

JohnnyKills

Moeen was really out of form in England's white-ball series. Morris is the most over-rated cricketer in world cricket (at least IMO).

JohnnyKills

Disappointing run chase from RCB. Was hoping for some fireworks from Kohli, Finch and ABD.
RCB failing again.

Anyone else think Kohli's captaincy record deserves scrutiny? He's failed to deliver a white-ball trophy with a top-class Indian team and his RCB team consistently implode like this.

zing

Zingle balls
Moeen was really out of form in England's white-ball series. Morris is the most over-rated cricketer in world cricket (at least IMO).
Moeen was out of form last season for England but did well for RCB. IPL is a rung below imo.

Morris - agreed. He's an all rounder who doesnt win matches with either discipline, but I think he slots in well for RCB because their bowling(particularly at death) is poor.

In most teams you're better off picking an actual bowler instead of Morris because his batting is rarely needed. But in RCB their bowling is so shit otherwise, he's a better option than having Phillipe at 5.. why would you use up a foreign slot for a batsman to come in after two GOATs in Kohli and AB..

JohnnyKills

Moeen was out of form last season for England but did well for RCB. IPL is a rung below imo.

Morris - agreed. He's an all rounder who doesnt win matches with either discipline, but I think he slots in well for RCB because their bowling(particularly at death) is poor.

In most teams you're better off picking an actual bowler instead of Morris because his batting is rarely needed. But in RCB their bowling is so shit otherwise, he's a better option than having Phillipe at 5.. why would you use up a foreign slot for a batsman to come in after two GOATs in Kohli and AB..
Yeah the strategy is all wrong isn't it Zing. They always seem to end up really batsman-heavy. You could even argue they don't need Kohli and AVB, as the chances of both of them coming off in the same game are really slim.

AshRK

RCB failing again.

Anyone else think Kohli's captaincy record deserves scrutiny? He's failed to deliver a white-ball trophy with a top-class Indian team and his RCB team consistently implode like this.
It is said very less because of his batting but his limited over captaincy is poor. He is not tactically the best, it seems his bowlers especially for rcb, just bowl without any direction. Covid aside we have 3 international world cups coming in next 3 years and he must win at least one of them.

NinjaFletch

Maybe this is harsh, but I can't help but shake the feeling that man with ABDV's ridiculous talent should win his side more matches. Maybe a case of not being able to understand how a guy who makes the game look that easy can ever get out.

JohnnyKills

Maybe this is harsh, but I can't help but shake the feeling that man with ABDV's ridiculous talent should win his side more matches. Maybe a case of not being able to understand how a guy who makes the game look that easy can ever get out.
I think it's also worth noting that he's getting on a bit now. His peak was probably around 2011-12, so nearly 10 years ago. Got to be harder to clear the boundaries when you approach your 40s.

Like I said earlier, I don't think you need both him and Kohli in the same team. Surely you don't need two top-billers in the middle order; if they both go well, they'll get a maximum of 50 balls each.

Surely it's better to have one star man, build the team around him so he gets 70-80 balls an innings, and spend the money on a better bowling lineup. Or another top batsman who fills a different role, like an opener or a finisher.

JohnnyKills

It is said very less because of his batting but his limited over captaincy is poor. He is not tactically the best, it seems his bowlers especially for rcb, just bowl without any direction. Covid aside we have 3 international world cups coming in next 3 years and he must win at least one of them.
Give KL the captaincy. He seems quite a smart, calculated guy and he keeps, so he can see the whole game.

Kohli's too much of a hothead; let him concentrate on being a world-class player and scoring millions of runs.

Having said that, if they took the captain off Virat there'd be riots, so probably not a wise decision!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very mature and ego-less decision from Iyer to promote Pant into bat above himself.

NinjaFletch

I know I'm a broken record, but the other error teams make is consolidating the damage of a slow partnership.

Dhawan played a typically pointless Dhawan innings, but DC were 94-1 when he got out with 9.2 overs left mainly thanks to Shaw. It was time for Dhawan to get on with it or get out, so his wicket didn't really matter. From there, you can afford to really go for it and even losing a wicker an over is manageable. Instead Iyer and Pant decided to rebuild for some reason, Pant got the acceleration and Iyer didn't, and you leave Stoinis with 3 balls and Hetmayer with a thanks for coming.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I know I'm a broken record, but the other error teams make is consolidating the damage of a slow partnership.

Dhawan played a typically pointless Dhawan innings, but DC were 94-1 when he got out with 9.2 overs left mainly thanks to Shaw. It was time for Dhawan to get on with it or get out, so his wicket didn't really matter. From there, you can afford to really go for it and even losing a wicker an over is manageable. Instead Iyer and Pant decided to rebuild for some reason, Pant got the acceleration and Iyer didn't, and you leave Stoinis with 3 balls and Hetmayer with a thanks for coming.
All the more baffling as Pant was promoted. Why do you think they did that?

NinjaFletch

All the more baffling as Pant was promoted. Why do you think they did that?
I presume given the way they went about the innings the talk in the dressing room is all about laying platforms and exploding at the end. Obviously these are marginal differences, but I really think 3 down given where they were they should be a lot closer to 200.