Iraq

Giggsyking

There is no specific thread for Iraq, so I decided to start one.
I will start with the latest news about the diplomatic rift between the two countries (Iraq and Sweden) that escalated in the past week because of the Quran and Iraqi flag burning Infront of the Iraqi embassy in Stockholm resulting in expulsion of the Swedish ambassador from Baghdad. Accrding to the reports Iraq have warned Sweden to not grant another permit for Salwan Momeka to do it after he did it few weeks ago in front of gathering of muslims at the Big Mosque in Stockholm who were celebrating Eid al Adha day.

https://www.reuters.com/world/swedish-embassy-baghdad-stormed-set-alight-source-witness-2023-07-19/

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Love this photo of the souk in Mosul sometime in the 1920s or 30s:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There is no specific thread for Iraq, so I decided to start one.
I will start with the latest news about the diplomatic rift between the two countries (Iraq and Sweden) that escalated in the past week because of the Quran and Iraqi flag burning Infront of the Iraqi embassy in Stockholm resulting in expulsion of the Swedish ambassador from Baghdad. Accrding to the reports Iraq have warned Sweden to not grant another permit for Salwan Momeka to do it after he did it few weeks ago in front of gathering of muslims at the Big Mosque in Stockholm who were celebrating Eid al Adha day.

https://www.reuters.com/world/swedish-embassy-baghdad-stormed-set-alight-source-witness-2023-07-19/
"Salwan Momika immigrated from Iraq to Sweden"
Do you know what the full story is there, why he's left Iraq for Sweden to burn the Quran?

Giggsyking

"Salwan Momika immigrated from Iraq to Sweden"
Do you know what the full story is there, why he's left Iraq for Sweden to burn the Quran?
He was part of an active militia and fled Iraq on the back of serious charges. Iraq has asked to hand him over and they are working with the Interpol to get official papers for him to be sent back to Iraq, many say his acts in Sweden is more about getting a permit to stay in Sweden rather than his beliefs.

Anyways his acts has caused a major rift in relations between the two countries, Swedish companies like Ericsson and the Swedish sector of Siemens (Siemens Finspång) who have contracts worth billions in both the communication and energy sector are facing major problems.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He was part of an active militia and fled Iraq on the back of serious charges. Iraq has asked to hand him over and they are working with the Interpol to get official papers for him to be sent back to Iraq, many say his acts in Sweden is more about getting a permit to stay in Sweden rather than his beliefs.

Anyways his acts has caused a major rift in relations between the two countries, Swedish companies like Ericsson and the Swedish sector of Siemens (Siemens Finspång) who have contracts worth billions in both the communication and energy sector are facing major problems.
Gotcha! I didn’t know what Momika’s religious beliefs were initially so I was very confused.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He was a Christian, now athiest.
Yeah I confused myself because one of the first other sites I read when googling him mentioned Muslims in the headline, so initially I was under the belief that he was a Muslim man who had left Iraq for Sweden to burn the Quran and I thought something didn’t add up!

2cents

Scout
Michael Palin recently did a three part travel series in Iraq. While age seems to be catching up with him it’s interesting enough for anyone interested in the country. Episodes seem to be on Dailymotion:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Michael Palin recently did a three part travel series in Iraq. While age seems to be catching up with him it’s interesting enough for anyone interested in the country. Episodes seem to be on Dailymotion:

Watched this when it aired a few months ago, it was great. He carries himself so disarmingly. Particularly enjoyed his interactions with the young school kids, some of which had a standard of English that would put some Brits to shame. His visit to one of Saddam's old palaces was quite affecting, too.

2cents

Scout
This is a short film made in the 50s, apparently for the Iraq Petroleum Company, held by the British Pathe. Replete with standard orientalist discourse and imagery, it is nevertheless a fascinating snippet of the country at a moment of momentous change. Well worth a look:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is a short film made in the 50s, apparently for the Iraq Petroleum Company, held by the British Pathe. Replete with standard orientalist discourse and imagery, it is nevertheless a fascinating snippet of the country at a moment of momentous change. Well worth a look:

Yeah, that's great. I love getting this kind of insights - even if you have to peel away a few layers of prejudices.

Giggsyking

Nice episode, have not seen it before.

Giggsyking

Currently Iraq must bank their oil revenues with the US Federal Reserve. The US control the entire Iraqi economy. Iraq are in a weak position to negotiate as long as they have their money at the US federal bank.

2cents

Scout
Apologies for the poor quality of these photos I recently came across in an old British medical journal published during the First World War. The first two are especially interesting, a rare picture of the traffic of Shi’i corpses from outside Iraq to the massive cemetery in Najaf for burial. The second pair show pilgrims - likely from India - en route to Najaf and Karbala:

Giggsyking

Apologies for the poor quality of these photos I recently came across in an old British medical journal published during the First World War. The first two are especially interesting, a rare picture of the traffic of Shi’i corpses from outside Iraq to the massive cemetery in Najaf for burial. The second pair show pilgrims - likely from India - en route to Najaf and Karbala:

Interesting, I really love these kind of pics, gives more perspective and understanding of the life at that time.

2cents

Scout
Interesting, I really love these kind of pics, gives more perspective and understanding of the life at that time.
I’ll see if I can dig up some better quality photos in the next few days.

2cents

Scout
Here's a really nice one from Basra, taken in 1908:

2cents

Scout
And some more from Baghdad. These were taken in 1906 by an Indian Army recruit called Wilfrid Malleson, they're all from the great Qatar Digital Library:

For some reason I always find photos of Iraq from the early 20th century to be particularly evocative.

I wonder @Giggsyking how much if any of the traditional-type urban architecture seen above still survives today in Basra and Baghdad (e.g. the distinctive hanging wooden balconies that can still be found in parts of the Gulf and the Hijaz today I believe)?

Giggsyking

And some more from Baghdad. These were taken in 1906 by an Indian Army recruit called Wilfrid Malleson, they're all from the great Qatar Digital Library:

For some reason I always find photos of Iraq from the early 20th century to be particularly evocative.

I wonder @Giggsyking how much if any of the traditional-type urban architecture seen above still survives today in Basra and Baghdad (e.g. the distinctive hanging wooden balconies that can still be found in parts of the Gulf and the Hijaz today I believe)?
They are still standing. My friend who is an architect with a degree in Urban design is the chief architect on reviving some historical buildings in the old city of Baghdad and I think the mosque in the picture is the Haiderkhana is one of them, located in old downtown Baghdad, but I have to double check if it is this one.

The Mosque was built around 1180-1200 by the Abbasid Caliph Al-Nasir https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Nasir

The Shanasheel (the hanging wooden balconies) are still seen in some historical houses that are not inhabited, but reserved by the government pending reconstruction ( is undergoing some reconstructions in Basra but not that much in Baghdad).

2cents

Scout
I need to forward this one to a friend from Basra to locate this place. I have little experience on Basra.
It’s labeled “Ashar Creek” in the archives if that helps.

2cents

Scout
They are still standing. My friend who is an architect with a degree in Urban design is the chief architect on reviving some historical buildings in the old city of Baghdad and I think the mosque in the picture is the Haiderkhana is one of them, located in old downtown Baghdad, but I have to double check if it is this one.

The Mosque was built around 1180-1200 by the Abbasid Caliph Al-Nasir https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Nasir

The Shanasheel (the hanging wooden balconies) are still seen in some historical houses that are not inhabited, but reserved by the government pending reconstruction ( is undergoing some reconstructions in Basra but not that much in Baghdad).

That’s all great to hear. I think if the political situation remains in its current relatively stable state then I will visit Iraq for the first time in the next year or two.

Giggsyking

That’s all great to hear. I think if the political situation remains in its current relatively stable state then I will visit Iraq for the first time in the next year or two.
Fingers crossed it will continue to be stable, the latest PM is somehow a popular figure compared to previous PMs which is in itself a strange thing as politicians in Iraq are the least favorite people. I hope you enjoy your visit when do visit, make sure to test the traditional Iraqi fish dish, Masgoof :D.

Kaos

I'd be surprised if anyone didn't know by this point. I think we're well beyond justifications of those phantom WMDs or this supposed desire to liberate Iraqi people from the goodness of their hearts (after decades of collectively punishing them via crippling sanctions).

I don't think oil was the primary motivation of the Iraq war, I still think it was the US' regional hegemonic goals as the primary directive, but it certainly served as an ample opportunity for the usual vultures to get very wealthy.

Giggsyking

I'd be surprised if anyone didn't know by this point. I think we're well beyond justifications of those phantom WMDs or this supposed desire to liberate Iraqi people from the goodness of their hearts (after decades of collectively punishing them via crippling sanctions).

I don't think oil was the primary motivation of the Iraq war, I still think it was the US' regional hegemonic goals as the primary directive, but it certainly served as an ample opportunity for the usual vultures to get very wealthy.
Agree, I don't think either that oil was the main objective, but it was a nice dessert on top of the main course.