Ireland under Stephen Kenny

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
63% possession away from home. Keeping the ball on the deck. Centre backs carrying the ball into the opposition half. Pass and move triangles. Is this the first signs of a revolution in Irish football?

(Sure it took a header from a corner to get any actual points but still...)

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
It was quite amusing how after all that we were about to lose, only for a setpiece goal from our most dangerous attacker - our centre half.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes, it's just a pity that we've quite a poor (orto be nicer, young and improving) front three.

Nick7

I didn't watch the match. Still traumatised from the last few years of shite served up. Good to know we at least tried. Shame we don't have Grealish or someone like him any more to unlock defences.

BD

Grealish and Rice in the team would make us look a completely different team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It was a bit better with actually trying to complete a few passes. Still created feck all though and Shane Duffy is still our best attacking threat.

Only first match though after a long break, so hopefully we see some continuing improvement.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It was quite amusing how after all that we were about to lose, only for a setpiece goal from our most dangerous attacker - our centre half.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes, it's just a pity that we've quite a poor (orto be nicer, young and improving) front three.
Yeah, in terms of up and coming talents we haven’t been better off up front in a very long time. In terms of established attacking players, I can’t remember us ever being worse off.

Troy Parrot is two from two at Millwall. Shame he missed out last night. Hopefully this loan is the making of him.

BD

Yeah, in terms of up and coming talents we haven’t been better off up front in a very long time. In terms of established attacking players, I can’t remember us ever being worse off.

Troy Parrot is two from two at Millwall. Shame he missed out last night. Hopefully this loan is the making of him.
Yeah and I worry that maybe this doesn't work for the first few months or year, and then people start calling for us to go back to how we were before because at least that worked, not taking into account different in the squads.
Yeah, England.
:lol: True enough

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah and I worry that maybe this doesn't work for the first few months or year, and then people start calling for us to go back to how we were before because at least that worked, not taking into account different in the squads.

:lol: True enough
I’m not sure it did work. Not really. I’d like to think people will be patient with him. It’s funny actually. I was thinking about all the managers we’ve had, post Fergie. Not one of them has stamped his mark after the first game in charge as clearly as Kenny did last night. Like watching a completely different team to Ireland of the last few years (a completely different, not very good, team but still. Baby steps...)

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
I was somewhat pleased with what i saw, you could see the beginnings of an idea of what we want to do on a football pitch after only a few training sessions. Didzy back for Sunday is a massive addition, I think himself Connoly and O'Dowda can form a decent front three. I'm hoping this is a big year from Jason Molumby, I've really liked what i've seen from him in the underage set up.

Nick7

I’m not sure it did work. Not really. I’d like to think people will be patient with him. It’s funny actually. I was thinking about all the managers we’ve had, post Fergie. Not one of them has stamped his mark after the first game in charge as clearly as Kenny did last night. Like watching a completely different team to Ireland of the last few years (a completely different, not very good, team but still. Baby steps...)
Fergie? :-p

CiroDiMarzio

There is absolutely no way he can continue with a midfield three that includes James McCarthy and Jeff Hendrick. There were some encouraging performances in the first half, but the midfield was non-existent.

Champagne Football

Duffy is well rusty from being on the Brighton bench for a long time. He will get back into his match rhythm at Celtic.

Matt Doherty's attacking ability blunted a little when he's in a back 4.

O'Dowda was the surprise of the evening. No end product but wonderful pace, skill and energy. Aaron Connolly also will make the wing position his own soon. Robbie Brady and Callum Robinson will be pushing O'Dowda and Connolly for a starting spot.

Central midfield needs work. James McCarthy invisible again. Maybe Molumby will get minutes on Sunday as a defensive midfielder. Would be great if Luca Connell could break through at Celtic next season as a deep lying playmaker too. Someone needs to put pressure on James McCarthy for that role if he continues to underwhelm.

David McGoldrick was sorely missed and Idah looks about 2 years away from being ready to challenge for a first XI spot but bit potential there.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
By the way, did anyone else watch the game with Mick McCarthy as co-commentator? Hell of a choice by Sky Sports!

Didn’t think it possible but he put in an even more defensive performance than his last Ireland team...
Reminds me of the time I had to narrate my ex girlfriends sex tape with her newer, fitter boyfriend.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Changing the entire middle 3 and nobody else is exactly the right thing to do. Big day for Brady and Molumby. Hope Robbie picks a few passes out and nails down that role.

RashyForPM

I’m not watching but LiveScore says Ireland have 65% possession so far. Forgive me for my surprise but blimey. I hope this is the beginning of a new chapter for you Irish lads under Kenny. Always good to see the Irish succeeding.

Withnail

I’m not watching but LiveScore says Ireland have 65% possession so far. Forgive me for my surprise but blimey. I hope this is the beginning of a new chapter for you Irish lads under Kenny. Always good to see the Irish succeeding.
Hopefully so!

We finished the last game with 63% as well.

Still ill

Finland look sharper around the box. We're not making it stick around their area.

Still ill

Idah's a talented chap but he hasn't looked ready to me. Long or Mcgoldrick still better bets for now, I think.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Kenny has said he wants a more possession based game going forward.
Its working so far, although I feel the team is missing a midfield architect to really make it work.

Champagne Football

The midfield 3 out there today looks slightly better than the last time out. Slightly more solid and organized.

With McGoldrick in that team holding the ball up properly, which Idah is doing ok at but really struggling, then I think we'd have created a couple more chances so far.