Ireland vs England, June 7th 2015 (International Friendly)

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
So has it hit home to England fans just how shite you actually are?..That 'crime' we all just witnessed just confirmed what the rest of us already knew..and yes we already know we are shite too.
Yes. A post season bore fest friendly with Ireland is the catalytic lightbulb moment we all needed. Not the thrashing by Germany or the bird nesting bore fest with Algeria 5 years ago. Or any of the soul sapping castratingly awful performances since then. This is the one. This game. Phew. Thanks Ireland.

vodrake

So how did the united lads play like?
Rooney was a bit wank, First-Touch was all over the shop. Jones and Smalling had fairly decent games I thought,though Jones was stuck out at RB again and looked a bit uncomfortable with their LB getting a couple of crosses in past him. Whoscored has Smalling down as Man of the Match.

Zoo

Rob Draper in the Mail rated Smalling 4.5, the worst player on the pitch.

Last edited:

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Cause the FA are idiots.
they are not idiots.

the FA are just a smaller version of the corrupt UEFA and FIFA....

the reason our national team is in the dumps is the FA dont want any manager who will challenge them. Hodgson is the perfect Yes man.

So we will qualify from these ridiculous groups...and get our arse handed to us in the tournament.

Walters_19_MuFc

Poor game. Felt Wilshere was our (England's) best player, as the commentators said. Felt Jones and Smalling also had good games.

There was just no balance in our team today, though. Our midfield consisted of two workers (Henderson and Milner) as opposed to one worker and a creative midfielder. Ideally, I would have probably liked to see Barkley where Milner was, or maybe Wilshere pushed into Milner position with someone else holding.

On the wings, I would have also liked to see two speedy wingers, who looked to get in behind Ireland's defence, which is why I would have started with Walcott instead of Lallana. I do think Walcott will start against Slovenia, though.

Last edited:

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Poor game. Felt Wilshere was our (England's) best player, as the commentators said. Felt Jones and Smalling also had good games.

There was just no balance in our team today, though. Our midfield consisted of two workers (Henderson and Milner) as opposed to one worker and a creative midfielder. Ideally, I would have probably liked to see Barkley where Milner was, or maybe Wilshere pushed into Milner position with someone else holding.

On the wings, I would have also liked to see two speedy wingers, who looked to get in behind Ireland's defence, which is why I would have started with Walcott instead of Lallana. I do think Walcott will start against Slovenia, though.
Agree with this analysis. I think Walcott was only on the bench due to starting the FA Cup final.

I'm not sure who else could do the holding role but we definitely should have Wilshere in a more advanced position.

Lallana was pretty poor. Not sure what his best position is but I don't like him as a wing-forward at all.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Obviously this was far from the heat of battle, but as long as they don't get horrifically nervous like they did in the away leg I think Ireland have a very good chance against Scotland. Should be going for the win for sure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
fell asleep at half time.

I suppose friendlies and qualifiers, which are generally utter pony in the vast majority of instances are the very necessary evil for the glorious tournaments every 2 years.

(obviously as a whole rather than us being any good there)

prarek

This has got to be one of the worst England squad i've seen.

Acole9

Outstanding
Scholes wasn't wrong, it was a waste of an afternoon. Luckily I got so bored watching the first half I went out. I think I'll be doing the same for the next match.

Flying_Heckfish

Scholes wasn't wrong, it was a waste of an afternoon. Luckily I got so bored watching the first half I went out. I think I'll be doing the same for the next match.
Same. I actually gave up at about 40 mins and started cooking Sunday lunch I was that bored!

ZDwyr

Rob Draper in the Mail rated Smalling 4.5, the worst player on the pitch.
Came here to post this. I didn't see the game but that rating seems to conflict with the opinions of a lot on here.

Gee Male

Everything about that game yesterday annoyed me to a certain extent. However, I’m going to aim my main gripe at the FAI and whoever the stadium management team were at the Aviva.

Firstly, I want to acknowledge that both sets of fans were rubbish. It was probably the worst atmosphere I’ve ever endured at a game. But it was almost as though everyone involved in the game sat down and tried to come up with as many ways as possible to make it a damp squib – I wouldn’t be surprised if they even asked both teams not to score in case a mild bout of excitement broke out.

Outside the ground, zero banter. A few lads had cans, but the majority of people were there drinking coffee and doing nothing. It was like people were killing an early Sunday afternoon before having to get down to the real business of walking the dog in the evening.

Got inside the ground, and enjoyed the applause both sets of fans gave to Jack Charlton, well deserved and all that, but it was the first moment that it dawned on me that the approach to the day would be ‘no aggro lads, sure we’re all in this together and love each other really’ kind of thing.

What really annoyed me was the national anthems. The stadium announcer couldn’t have screamed any louder that the choir was representing ‘all-Ireland, both north and south’ as if that made any fecking difference to anything. And then they played the anthems so loudly over the tannoy system that you couldn’t actually hear if the guy next to you was singing along or not, let alone hearing if either set of fans disrespected the other’s anthem. It was all a bit ridiculous.

I’d venture a guess that whoever decided to play the music from a Coldplay song that begins with the words ‘I used to rule the world’ was doing so tongue in cheek at the English fans, but then I’m pretty certain nobody at the Aviva is that clever. (Yes I am aware that they play that at all the games)

And finally, somebody needs to tell whoever is in charge at the Aviva that fans don’t want to be screamed at by the announcer at every available opportunity. He screamed the additional time at the end of both halves, and then screamed the scoreline almost as the ref was blowing the whistle at the end of both halves too – in the most excited manner possible. He evidently really enjoyed the fact that it was nil all with nothing happening ever. All of this contributes to a crap atmosphere. The whole video montage played at the start of the game showing goals from previous Irish games with the words ‘MAKE SOME NOISE’ in capital letters at the end is cringey too, especially when it ends and there’s almost complete silence in the stands. How do they come to the conclusion that this stuff works well?

Also, the guy doing keepy-uppies at half time – yes you’re pretty good at them, but let’s not try playing up to a crowd that’s not looking at you and doesn’t care, eh? We were trying to watch the 7 year olds in the middle of the pitch who were avoiding the sprinklers, not looking at you giving the thumbs up to nobody in particular.

As for the game… the above is all I can remember. Says it all.