Ireland vs England, June 7th 2015 (International Friendly)

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
In anticipation of it perhaps, maybe, possibly all kicking off tomorrow night, here's a thread to discuss it.

Ireland vs. England
International Friendly
Aviva Stadium
Sunday 7th June 1pm

Anything other than an England win would probably be a shock, but it never quite goes by how it looks on paper, does it? You'd imagine the Irish players would be more up for it looking for a big scalp, but that doesn't always go to plan either. The interest from an Irish point of view would be getting that scalp, perhaps seeing if Arter gets a go. I suppose the ongoing situation with Shay Given too, does he get given a friendly? (/pun)

Is Vardy in the England squad? :D Charlie Austin too I see. What are English people hoping to see, or are you bothered at all?

Leaving all niceties aside, here's what all the newspapers are foaming at the mouth for:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...hooligans-ahead-of-dublin-clash-10298620.html
http://www.theguardian.com/football...-ireland-england-friendly-dublin-1pm-kick-off

Being perfectly honest, I can't see it happening. I'd be shocked if there's anything more than a smattering of trouble at this stage.

Rory 7

I doubt there will be trouble either but I'd say town tonight might be a bit 'interesting'. Hope not, I'm going to watch the CL final in town!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
My predictions:

Trouble outside the ground.

Offensive chanting inside the ground.

Shitty game of football.

Lots of idiots going out of their way to tell as many people as possible how little they care about this game.

mufcwarm92

Ireland are pretty shit and shouldn't be any trouble for England, but it is their cup final so you never know.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
My predictions:

Trouble outside the ground.

Offensive chanting inside the ground.

Shitty game of football.

Lots of idiots going out of their way to tell as many people as possible how little they care about this game.
Sounds about right. I remember a match a few years ago where a Rangers player came on for whoever it was and there was instant booing and chanting. Seems inevitable that there'll be some offensive stuff today. But I think the trouble will be minor, if not then the UK police and the Gardai haven't don't their job properly.

edit - might have been Peter Lovenkrands vs Denmark possibly

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't realise it kicks off at 1.

What happened to that home nations tournament they were going to do every year?

MDFC Manager

International friendlies after the domestic season has ended, must be one of most pointless things in football

Walters_19_MuFc

Hart
Clyne - Smalling - Jones - Bertrand
Wilshere
Henderson - Delph
Walcott - Rooney - Sterling

Prediction:

Ireland 0 - 2 England (Rooney, Walcott)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Didn't even realise this was on until yesterday. That's about how much I'm bothered by international friendlies.

Carl

Didn't realise it kicks off at 1.

What happened to that home nations tournament they were going to do every year?
They realised no-one would care. Also, the difference in quality between England and the rest makes it pretty pointless.

Carl

Carl

Hart
Jones Cahill Smalling Bertrand
Wilshere Henderson
Milner Sterling Lallana
Rooney

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Ireland are pretty shit and shouldn't be any trouble for England, but it is their cup final so you never know.
England are pretty shit too although there is a gulf in quality of course...That is probably the worst England team I've ever witnessed.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Hart
Milner Henderson
Sterling Wilshere Lallana
Rooney

Wilshere in midfield, Milner on the wing and Sterling behind Rooney.....that is what i would do:nervous:

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Ummm I don't think so, perhaps we would raise it if it was a meaningful game but we would expect that, not for a friendly. Our eyes are firmly fixed on the Scottish game which is of much more importance than a friendly against probably the worst English side in decades.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Good to see Smalling start. Given his form for us this season it's about time he establishes himself as first choice CB for England. It'll be beneficial for him and United.

Walters_19_MuFc

England are pretty shit too although there is a gulf in quality of course...That is probably the worst England team I've ever witnessed.
Not always the best teams on paper that produce the greatest football, though. I mean, despite having a midfield of Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes at one time, England didn't exactly do anything.

I think where they have gone wrong is trying to fit the best players in, instead of looking for a good balance. In the last few games, despite the teams not being a massive test, I have personally liked the way England have looked. Like you said, it's not the best team on paper today, but if the balance of the team is right, they should be fine.

Hopefully England continue with a 433. If so, although I'd have gone different, from looking at the team, I'd probably go with:

Hart
Wilshere
Henderson Milner
Sterling Rooney Lallana

Drifter

American
Phil Jones the utility player. How can he develop into center back.

mufcwarm92

Knew that would be an easy WUM. England are indeed shite but I think they'll win this, even with that team.

Jones at right back is annoying because he'll be slated for his performance even though he's out of position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Blimey, it's a nothing game and we're a bit shit, but how is Young not in that side?