Ireland vs England, June 7th 2015 (International Friendly)

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Not always the best teams on paper that produce the greatest football, though. I mean, despite having a midfield of Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes at one time, England didn't exactly do anything.

I think where they have gone wrong is trying to fit the best players in, instead of looking for a good balance. In the last few games, despite the teams not being a massive test, I have personally liked the way England have looked. Like you said, it's not the best team on paper today, but if the balance of the team is right, they should be fine.

Hopefully England continue with a 433. If so, although I'd have gone different, from looking at the team, I'd probably go with:

Hart
Jones Cahill Smalling Bertrand
Wilshere
Henderson Milner
Sterling Rooney Lallana
Can't really argue with any of that.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Scholes thinks Jones not clever enough to be a CB, against decent strikers he gets caught out. That RB is his best position.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Knew that would be an easy WUM. England are indeed shite but I think they'll win this, even with that team.

Jones at right back is annoying because he'll be slated for his performance even though he's out of position.
Well I'll be on stand by to quote in case your prediction goes tits up. ;)

Zoo

Ridiculous the way they keep moving Jones around. It's a friendly, give Clyne the minutes.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Scholes thinks Jones not clever enough to be a CB, against decent strikers he gets caught out. That RB is his best position.
Yeh he took a bit of a hammering from Scholes and Wright there.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sigh, I forgot this tosh was on... Fine, England. I'll watch.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
The England squad really is awful now. Rooney is the only player even remotely close to being world class.
It all depends on your definition, I suppose, but when Hart is on form, I'd not be able to name ten keepers ahead of him. He's not at that Neuer/DDG/Courtois level, but he's still a solid keeper.

Oh, and I hate this stupid anthem.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Did Rooney really have to introduce all the players to the Irish President? Nice touch, but it made it seem like he wouldn't know any of them. It's only Ireland, not some tribe from the Sahara desert.

Hilarious that the players walked out to the theme from The Avengers. :lol:

Carl

The England squad really is awful now. Rooney is the only player even remotely close to being world class.
Previous generations apparently littered with world class players haven't exactly achieved anything. Not always about a glittering collection of individuals.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It all depends on your definition, I suppose, but when Hart is on form, I'd not be able to name ten keepers ahead of him. He's not at that Neuer/DDG/Courtois level, but he's still a solid keeper.

Oh, and I hate this stupid anthem.
Hart is a solid keeper, but not one of the worlds best imo. Rooney is similar if i'm being honest, he has too many lulls in form to be considered the creme de la creme.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Did Rooney really have to introduce all the players to the Irish President? Nice touch, but it made it seem like he wouldn't know any of them. It's only Ireland, not some tribe from the Sahara desert.

Do they not always do that? They definitely do it every time with the rugby.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Previous generations apparently littered with world class players haven't exactly achieved anything. Not always about a glittering collection of individuals.
They never won anything but they did come close. I don't see this English team getting anywhere near to a Quarter final.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Hart is a solid keeper, but not one of the worlds best imo. Rooney is similar if i'm being honest, he has too many lulls in form to be considered the creme de la creme.
That's fair.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?

I think Spurs walking out to The Phantom Menace final fight music is the funniest.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne

Michael D. is a sports fan, it's just a formality.

Carl

They never won anything but they did come close. I don't see this English team getting anywhere near to a Quarter final.
This isn't our best team tbf and we do have some very promising young players.

Spain aside, international football can be like this in that teams aren't made up of world class players. Providing you have a couple dotted about you're ok.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
This isn't our best team tbf and we do have some very promising young players.

Spain aside, international football can be like this in that teams aren't made up of world class players. Providing you have a couple dotted about you're ok.
They're at least 2/3 years away though but I do agree, they look more promising than the last few generations.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Michael D. is a sports fan, it's just a formality.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Like I said, nice touch, it just seemed a little strange. Probably sounded strange too when Rooney forgot who everyone was.

Ermmmm this is ermmm, Messi, no the Scouse Messi, errmm no Lallana, that's it.

Acole9

Outstanding
I know it's only a friendly but the atmosphere seems a bit flat so far.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I have Irish ancestry (though I've never been to Ireland) so all I can say is: howay the lads!

lol