Irish Politics

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I voted SF but i have to be realistic. They would not be able to deliver on their promises, especially now with the pandemic.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Country is in big trouble with those toe rags getting back in. At least SF should get a majority by the next election....
I think you'd have to consider it a failure on SF's part if they're not leading government after the next election. FF & FG are stuck together in a situation where they're going to make a lot of unpopular decisions. Meanwhile SF will have a full government cycle to build off the last election and convince people they're a viable alternative government.

Though who knows, a lot could change over the next few years.

cyberman

I think you'd have to consider it a failure on SF's part if they're not leading government after the next election. FF & FG are stuck together in a situation where they're going to make a lot of unpopular decisions. Meanwhile SF will have a full government cycle to build off the last election and convince people they're a viable alternative government.

Though who knows, a lot could change over the next few years.
A lot of FF votes came from FG voters who had enough and couldn't vote for SF. They also hoovered up a lot of votes from SF voters who hadnt much options.
This is so disastrous that I cannot conprehend the thought process. Those kind of votes are gone forever. The protest votes have only propped up FG anyway.
Then they have the greens holding it together it all up that goes against their rural stronghold.
It just screams last desperate lunge at keeping SF out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be honest, FF and FG started to steal a lot of SF policies and promises after the votes came in.
I do think this was a chance to reset some problems, if we have to work hard to build us back up we may as well work on thr foundations that will help with housing etc down the line.
I don’t think we will have the stomach for major change 5 years down the line. SF will still get in but they'll be massively let off the hook.
It’s so hard to predict what things will be like 5 years in the future. The next 2 or 3 years are going to be horrendous though. SF’s magic money tree would be stretched well beyond breaking point, that’s for damn sure.

lsd

The Oracle
Sinn fein don't have the candidates to ever win an election . They were scraping the bottom of the barrel last time and couldn't get more than 40.

Got to say genius move by Leo letting Martin take next two years now economy is fecked then he takes over up to election when things get a little better

lsd

The Oracle

75%. :eek:

Yeah he seems to have gotten a huge bump for his handling of the coronavirus crisis . Maybe in times of a health panic people start trusting the nearest Doctor they see. He would walk an election now

cyberman

Yeah he seems to have gotten a huge bump for his handling of the coronavirus crisis . Maybe in times of a health panic people start trusting the nearest Doctor they see. He would walk an election now
Na dont think so. He falls apart on actual Irish politics which is some hinderance to have.
He's great as a superficial statesman though.

jeff_goldblum

Any you lot from out west? I've heard from family and friends out there that the push for 'staycations', combined with American and British tourists still coming in is making life very difficult out there at the moment.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Senators, judges and TDs all off for a golfing piss-up one day after new restrictions were put in place.

One rule for them. Brazen fecking cnuts.

Eire Red United

I see the FFG scum have now voted to seal the records of the investigation of the Catholic Church dumping babies in a septic tank for 20 years. We need a revolution.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I see the FFG scum have now voted to seal the records of the investigation of the Catholic Church dumping babies in a septic tank for 20 years. We need a revolution.
It's been the first time I ever joined in contacting TDs to voice disapproval in the leadup to that vote. I'm absolutely disgusted and can't believe they're going through with it. I hope an EU court challenge is possible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
On what legal basis can they seal the records?
And why would they do that?
You can read about it here. It’s incredibly complicated, relates to historical data protection legislation and steps are being taken to ensure that the archives remain open for the ongoing investigation. It’s definitely possible that the bill has been poorly worded or rushed throughout without enough thought. I’m not a lawyer, so can’t really comment. Most of the legal complexities go over my head. What’s definitely not happening is some sort of weird conspiracy to protect the Catholic Church.

None of this nuance matters to grand-standing opposition politicians and furious social media campaigns, obviously. 99% of whom have no clue about any of the legal complexities.

Last edited:

cyberman

They could add an amendment and run a new investigation under it with the work already done.
Apparently theres evidence that the government forged documents etc and there are a lot of lawsuits on the table.
God Irelands politics is so incestuous but thats the result of being such a small island. Theres those in the seanad whos relations were in power at the time ffs.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They could add an amendment and run a new investigation under it with the work already done.
Apparently theres evidence that the government forged documents etc and there are a lot of lawsuits on the table.
God Irelands politics is so incestuous but thats the result of being such a small island. Theres those in the seanad whos relations were in power at the time ffs.
They’re adding amendments. This whole thing is basically politics working the way it should (which is unusual enough in Ireland!). Debate and disagreement resulting in flawed legislation being amended and improved.

I’ve read nothing about forged documents. Do you have a source? Or is this Facebook/Twitter/WhatsApp rumours?

Withnail

You can read about it here. It’s incredibly complicated, relates to historical data protection legislation and steps are being taken to ensure that the archives remain open for the ongoing investigation. It’s definitely possible that the bill has been poorly worded or rushed throughout without enough thought. I’m not a lawyer, so can’t really comment. Most of the legal complexities go over my head. What’s definitely not happening is some sort of weird conspiracy to protect the Catholic Church.

None of this nuance matters to grand-standing opposition politicians and furious social media campaigns, obviously. 99% of whom have no clue about any of the legal complexities.
It seems fairly complicated alright.

There also seems to be a conflict between the 2004 Act and the newer Data Protection laws.

O' Gorman has said he will consult with survivors and take further advice so hopefully a sensible solution can be found.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070054.html

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It seems fairly complicated alright.

There also seems to be a conflict between the 2004 Act and the newer Data Protection laws.

O' Gorman has said he will consult with survivors and take further advice so hopefully a sensible solution can be found.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070054.html
My job involves a fair bit of stuff that is GDPR relevant and I’ve never known a piece of legislation to cause so many divided opinions amongst the legal team. It seems to be very difficult to interpret and the punishments are so insanely costly that everyone is constantly erring on the side of caution. Which seems to be what happened here.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I was actually going to come looking for this thread, as I'm normally well versed in all things Irish politics, would be friendly enough with people in and out of Government (Roderic O'Gorman is from my area and actually helped out a charity thing I done when he was a Cllr, and would get on well with my mam and such) and I'd be fairly well known with regards to the left in Ireland, I'm by no means an expert, but I have fairly well founded opinions on most things.

With regard to this, I'm fecking stumped. I have no idea what's going on. I genuinely need someone to explain it to me like I'm a fairly intelligent 10 year old.

JakeC

My job involves a fair bit of stuff that is GDPR relevant and I’ve never known a piece of legislation to cause so many divided opinions amongst the legal team. It seems to be very difficult to interpret and the punishments are so insanely costly that everyone is constantly erring on the side of caution. Which seems to be what happened here.
So is it a case of the opposition using the lack of knowledge that the general public would have on this subject to their advantage seeing as it's a hugely emotive issue?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So is it a case of the opposition using the lack of knowledge that the general public would have on this subject to their advantage seeing as it's a hugely emotive issue?
Yeah, pretty much.

I’ve read one very detailed critique of the bill from someone who actually seems to understands the legislation but I’m willing to bet that nine out of ten opposition politicians (and 99 out of 100 angry people on twitter) getting up in arms about this are bullshit artists who are completely out of their depth but want to take a shot anyway. To be clear, I’m out of my depth too!

Last edited:

JakeC

Yeah, pretty much.

I’ve read one very detailed critique of the bill from someone who actually seems to understands the legislation but I’m willing to bet that nine out of ten opposition politicians (and 99 out of 100 angry people on twitter) getting up in arms about this are bullshit artists who are completely out of their depth but want to take a shot anyway. To be clear, I’m out of my depth too!
I'll give it a read, it's just been a barrage of shite because of all this #saveourkids nonsense that these yellow vest pricks are spreading. About 20% of my Facebook feed is full of people who I know to be quite nice, sharing stuff that tries to co-relate this piece of legislation with how Covid 19 is a hoax. It's genuinely infuriating.

The one thing I will say, is that from a PR perspective, this Governments attitude seems to be "Ignore everything and hope that The Greens take the brunt of the turmoil" knowing that Eamon Ryan will be about as active as my sex life when it comes to defending his Ministers (Admittedly tough) job.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

never let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy eh. These records will remain open for investigators that need them and be kept away from hacks and cnuts. The Catholic church is not and should not be protected. THey are responsible for this and should be held accountable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'll give it a read, it's just been a barrage of shite because of all this #saveourkids nonsense that these yellow vest pricks are spreading. About 20% of my Facebook feed is full of people who I know to be quite nice, sharing stuff that tries to co-relate this piece of legislation with how Covid 19 is a hoax. It's genuinely infuriating.

The one thing I will say, is that from a PR perspective, this Governments attitude seems to be "Ignore everything and hope that The Greens take the brunt of the turmoil" knowing that Eamon Ryan will be about as active as my sex life when it comes to defending his Ministers (Admittedly tough) job.
Yeah, that’s what peeves me the most. The Greens are being absolutely crucified over something that is a) very complicated and hard to get right and b) not their sole responsibility.

McGrathsipan

a revoloution will achieve what exactly? Im not government defender but come on tell me about the revolution and how it will make things ok?

Who will govern when the dust settles?

I am sick to the teeth of listening to social media warriors and quite frankly thick feckers ( not you ) that just sit there and throw stones when they wouldnt have the first clue about fecking anything that goes on. One of my neighbours is all about "feck the government they dont look after the people"....so I said to him you are living in a fecking HAP provide house and you and your whole family is on the dole, fecking 4 of you in there , but hey the government doesnt look after the people. Blank look back and he just went back into his HAP house and closed the door. Dick head. Back to Facebook with him.

My own brothers are the same - fecking moaning about everything the gov does but yet when even a remotely trick question is posed back to them about what they suggest should be done I just get the same shit that Bill Gates is trying to run the world and make everyone sheep. Honestly with people like that and the crowds on Grafton Street we are fecked. I'd get on a rocket to fecking Mars if there was one available.
Whats fecking the country is the generation of utter thick feckers using social media to get "educated".

We do need a revolution, one that brings a bit of fecking cop on back into society as at the minute we are going down the swanny because there are too many people that are indeed just like the sheep they complain about.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
a revoloution will achieve what exactly? Im not government defender but come on tell me about the revolution and how it will make things ok?

I am sick to the teeth of listening to social media warriors and quite frankly thick feckers ( not you ) that just sit there and throw stones when they wouldnt have the first clue about fecking anything that goes on. One of my neighbours is all about "feck the government they dont look after the people"....so I said to him you are living in a fecking HAP provide house and you and your whole family is on the dole, fecking 4 of you in there , but hey the government doesnt look after the people. Blank look back and he just went back into his HAP house and closed the door. Dick head. Back to Facebook with him.

My own brothers are the same - fecking moaning about everything the gov does but yet when even a remotely trick question is posed back to them about what they suggest should be done I just get the same shit that Bill Gates is trying to run the world and make everyone sheep. Honestly with people like that and the crowds on Grafton Street we are fecked. I'd get on a rocket to fecking Mars if there was one available.
Whats fecking the country is the generation of utter thick feckers using social media to get "educated".

We do need a revolution, one that brings a bit of fecking cop on back into society as at the minute we are going down the swanny because there are too many people that are indeed just like the sheep they complain about.
Heh. So true. Calling other people “sheeple” and not an original thought between them.

McGrathsipan

Heh. So true. Calling other people “sheeple” and not an original thought between them.
Thats the very phrase my brothers use.

So I said to one of them the other night - whats wrong with being one then? Look at your life - you have a nice house, a decent job, a couple of nice cars, you go on a nice few holidays every year!! Whats the problem I said.....Just silence comes back and then an eventual "ah you just dont want to understand" ...... they literally have no answer, but the second a politician makes a mistake or twitter tells them something they are all over it.
I think if this was 15 years ago when we all lived at home we'd kill each other. It would have no doubt ended in punch fights

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006