Ironic: City saved our moods in our worst seasons

Sir Erik ten Hag

I know we have endured 10 years of disappointment after Fergie's retirement. However some of those seasons even stood out as being really bad.

Coincidentally, our worst seasons tend to overlap with Liverpool's best seasons. In those dark days, ironically, it was City who helped us savage some fun:

• 2013-2014: Our woeful season with Moyes. However Gerrard's slip and City's winning run brought pain to Gerrard, Liverpool. We in turn got some good laughs.
• 2018-2019: Mourinho's 3rd season. We got a short lift of high form with Ole, then things turned crap again. We missed out on top 4. But Liverpool got beat by City again with that Kompany's thunder strike.
• 2021-2022: Ole's last season. And we got an even worse period with Rangnick after. But seeing Liverpool celebrating Villa leading by 2 goals, only to have City overcome it right in Gerrard and Coutinho's nose was fun.

I know this might sound petty. But in a way it was City who was strongly guarding our Premier League record against Liverpool, when we were too weak to protect it.

Skills

Snitch
Chelsea as well.

Gerrard's slip
UCL final win vs Man City

erikcred

Nothing ironic here. Just an excuse for you to stay a City fan among your Utd supporting mates.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I get what you mean but I'd say us trying to play catch-up with City has led to more mistakes over the years than it's helped us. I don't think we endure half of the board room feck ups from Woodward etc if we're chasing Chelsea, Liverpool, and to a lesser extent Arsenal/Tottenham. City changed the entire makeup of the league with their open-ended spending approach.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bluecafe strikes again.

Ordering my Kompany jersey.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I used to think this, now I don’t.

It would’ve been infinitely better for the PL - and thus for Man Utd - if any other team had won those titles instead of City, be they Liverpool or anyone else.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
City being a fake cheating load of shit has spared us from having our traditional PL rivals like Liverpool and Arsenal enjoy more sustained success, but it's ultimately a pyrrhic victory so long as we're not fit to compete at the very top.

Nicolarra90

We would've had 3 PL more if there was no City.
I know what I would've chosen.

Sgreddevil

But that period of time also resulted in them turning the league into a farmers' league. Just have a look at the current table and we can kind of expect what will happen. Unfortunately that is going to stay unless of one of these occur:
- They get punished heavily for their alleged financial offences.
- Pep leaves

Rapsinfour

I get what you mean but I'd say us trying to play catch-up with City has led to more mistakes over the years than it's helped us. I don't think we endure half of the board room feck ups from Woodward etc if we're chasing Chelsea, Liverpool, and to a lesser extent Arsenal/Tottenham. City changed the entire makeup of the league with their open-ended spending approach.
I think you are giving Woodward too much credit here. City did change the makeup of the league. Barca, under Pep,did similar; this led to Real Madrid upping their game and may be having the best run in their history. We saw something similar with Chelsea spending in early 2000, but with Fergie at helm, we responded with arguably our greatest run ( 2006 - 2012). This is what great teams are supposed to do, but instead we have been reduced to wanting to be the best of a mediocre bunch; I will be a little disappointed (but still happy) if our next title came immediately after klopp/Pep left.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
In those 10 seasons Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have all been in worse spots. Yet they’ve all been in better spots. We’re just the epitome of mediocrity under the Glazers. Soon as they feck off we’ll probably be challenging again.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
City being a fake cheating load of shit has spared us from having our traditional PL rivals like Liverpool and Arsenal enjoy more sustained success, but it's ultimately a pyrrhic victory so long as we're not fit to compete at the very top.
I'd have Arsenal winning every title if it stopped city and/or Liverpool.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
It’s still anyone but Liverpool in my mind. When City win stuff it still feels fake and plastic.

Fridge chutney

I used to think this, now I don’t.

It would’ve been infinitely better for the PL - and thus for Man Utd - if any other team had won those titles instead of City, be they Liverpool or anyone else.
Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Would we still laughing if city overtook our European and domestic record in 15 years?

marktan

I fecking hate City so would have literally any one else win the league. Managed by the ex Barca Pep who we lost to twice, and then the whole Aguerooo and now financially doping their way to every title..

I get that most of this forum are 40+ year olds. For the younger generation? Couldn't give less of a feck about Liverpool. The fact they're never good when we are only weakens that rivalry.

bringbackbebe

The joy when a properly run football club gets overtaken by a doped state owned club that's been cheating its way for a decade.

SAFMUTD

This is the kind of threads I would piss my pants off laughing if saw them in rival forums. Please close it no need for self inflicted humiliation.