Is a fit in-form Jones ahead of Maguire?

Rossa

Maguire is twice the player if both are fit and on form. Jones always had a terrible error in him. Maguire had a bad season but hopefully that was it.
The best we have seen of Jones is better than the best we have seen of Maguire in a United shirt. Maguire is certsinly prone to errors himself and is terrible in one on one situations.

Jones and injuries would always be his greatest foe.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The best we have seen of Jones is better than the best we have seen of Maguire in a United shirt. Maguire is certsinly prone to errors himself and is terrible in one on one situations.

Jones and injuries would always be his greatest foe.
Absolute nonsense

The Siege

I know this forum holds Maguire in very low regard, and I understand why. But this thread is genuinely really harsh on him, we barely know if Phil Jones knows how to kick a ball anymore.

Kostov

Go and watch in in form Jones against Spurs away when Jose played him constantly. Cost us a goal 10 seconds in, then scored an own goal to cap off one of the shittest CB performances you can watch. Maguire this season tried his best, but I am yet to see something of that scale.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Both players confidence is shot to bits. They’ve both been very good defenders in the past, but have both had problems albeit different issues.

I don’t think you can say Jones at his best is better than Maguire, Harry is coming off his worst season ever so is an unfair comparison.

Lets hope one of them can show their best form this season, will make a huge difference to our squad.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
No, he isn’t. I think a lot of you will be disappointed to find he is still captain and is one of the first names on the team sheet next season. I also think Erik will be good for Harry and will get him back to performing like he does for England.

Strats

I’d more so see a fully fit and in form Bailly as ahead of Maguire

Shame that he’s constantly injured and so fecking inconsistent

youmeletsfly

Maguire is twice the player if both are fit and on form. Jones always had a terrible error in him. Maguire had a bad season but hopefully that was it.
Hope you realize that Maguire made more terrible errors this season that Jones did in his whole career.

wolvored

Hope you realize that Maguire made more terrible errors this season that Jones did in his whole career.
Im no Maguire fan but what you have said is ridiculous. Have a look how many own goals Jones has scored for a start.

Von Mistelroum

As others have said, there's not much chance of seeing a fit Jone. However, having seen the ridiculous state of Maguire last season lumbering around in a permanent state of confusion at the speed of a snail and with the turning circle of a cruise liner, we'd be as well playing Jones while he's unfit and he can just stand there blocking the way of attackers. He'll still do at least the same job.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A 'fit and in form' Maguire is our best centre back and better than Jones ever was. His best displays came in midfield around 10 years ago.

I don't know why people think we can build a good defence around crock centre backs, Jones, Bailly, Varane and Tuanzebe are liabilities in this regard.

Withnail

A 'fit and in form' Maguire is our best centre back and better than Jones ever was. His best displays came in midfield around 10 years ago.

I don't know why people think we can build a good defence around crock centre backs, Jones, Bailly, Varane and Tuanzebe are liabilities in this regard.
Who thinks that?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Today I have no idea but at their best Jones and Smalling were better CBs than anything we currently have.

Mmm-Qatarian

This is an absolutely pointless discussion because nobody in here knows what a fit and in-form Phil Jones looks like at this stage. He hasn't been "fit and in-form" for at least three seasons now.

I understand that the moderators don't want to restrict what can and cannot be posted on here too enthusiastically but at this stage there must be at least four or five completely pointless Maguire-bashing threads that could easily have been posted in his player performance thread instead.

Last edited:

Withnail

The clamour to be dropping the one that is consistently available is pretty clear on here.
People losing faith in a player who had a terrible season is not the same as thinking we should build our team around players to can't stay for for 5 seconds. Realistically I think most would agree that Bailly, Tuanzebe and Jones should go, the club does too according to the rumours, and that we need to get at least one CB in.

Redlyn

Fit Jones is a fantasy. It's a unicorn. So is a fantasy better that fit Maguire? Nah, I prefer reality no matter how bleak it is.

Redlyn

Yes. Keep Jones, Varane and Mengi. Try and sell the rest. Keep whichever of Bailly, Lindelof, Maguire and Tuanzebe we have the most difficulty selling. Start Jones / Varane at beginning of season and play the other two when they get hurt.

Jones has been healthy for about 6 months and he is better than all our other defenders except Varane.
In which hes barely played full bodied matches. Being healthy week in week out is the test not being healthy drinking tea by the pool. Last time he was able to play about 8 matches before breaking down and disappearing for like 2 years.

Hughes35

A fit and inform Jones would genuinely be a top class CB............... He is never fit though so it's not really a conversation worth having.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
How anyone can say Maguire is better is insane, Jones is better on the ball, quicker and more committed but you can't build around or include someone with his record on the injury front unfortunately: I don't think there was ever a problem with his ability.

BuzzKillington

If you could wave a magic wand and say he will play the whole season with little to no injuries I’d rate him as a starting CB for us. He does have an error in him, but there are very few CB’s who don’t. (Nobody is criticising Varane who had more than his share of feck ups last year). But when you add Bailly to the list as well, we have a group of CB’s who are injury prone and love a brain fart. Makes me wonder whether it’s the not playing regularly that causes the errors.

Amarsdd

:lol: another interesting way to say you hate Maguire. And yeah, the answer is a definite no.
If the question was if he hadn’t been injury prone and had fulfilled his potential. Then definitely yes. He’d be world class right now.

Last edited:

m1tch

It's completely impossible to know what an in form Jones would be like. Yes we overpaid for Maguire by £40 million but this question is just a pointless way of saying that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How anyone can say Maguire is better is insane, Jones is better on the ball, quicker and more committed but you can't build around or include someone with his record on the injury front unfortunately: I don't think there was ever a problem with his ability.
Agreed. He has had some mad moments that are extremely memorable but people seem to forget that it was fairly rare, normally Jones was a consistent and disciplined player. That's why SAF was using him in all sorts of special roles because he could handle them.

Not being better than the best version of Jones isn't an insult, the vast majority of current defenders weren't at his level, unfortunately he is broken.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Maguire during the England Euros final reach was form I’ve never seen Jones on.

Smalling though is different.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Silly thread as we have not seen a fit and in firm Jones in nearly a decade.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Agreed. He has had some mad moments that are extremely memorable but people seem to forget that it was fairly rare, normally Jones was a consistent and disciplined player. That's why SAF was using him in all sorts of special roles because he could handle them.

Not being better than the best version of Jones isn't an insult, the vast majority of current defenders weren't at his level, unfortunately he is broken.
Agree completely, my disappointment is he hasn't moved on and tried to salvage something as he does appear fitter in the past 12 months but it's still not someone we could ever rely on but could be a worthy gamble for a bottom 10 team in the premier league if he stays fit

Hammondo

Absolute nonsense
Completely true, Jones on good form is far better than anything Maguire can produce. I do not think Jones even on form is quite good enough, and we really have no idea what he can do now though.