Is a yellow for taking off your shirt the most stupid rule in footy?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I vaguely remember the rule being you can take it off but you just can't lift it above your head (not sure why) and Tino Asprilla put his shirt on a corner flag and lifted it up

Yagami

Good post resistant
It wasn't daft. It was instinctive. He was obviously full of adrenaline and emotion. These are people, not robots.
I've seen plenty of passionate celebrations that didn't involve taking your shirt off. Doing that on a yellow card knowing you'd get a red was daft. Especially for someone trying to win their place in the team.

Zed is not dead

Whats the logic behind it?

Political slogan i get but without it?
I read that it was because of the sponsors.
Basically a goal is when the shirt sponsors will get the most exposure, so they lobbied to get this rule to prevent players from taking their shirts off

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Why did the rule ever get introduce? I have recollections of fines in the 90s for players putting political slogans on their jerseys but that doesn't happen so much now so perhaps it should be split like that. Player gets a yellow if there's an offence gesture but no yellow if it's just a spontaneous moment of joy.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Get rid of the yellow and make the player go to the sideline and he doesnt get to rejoin the game until his shirt is back on and the 4th official gives him the ok.

jadaba

Had no idea that it was only introduced as a rule in 2004. Always assumed that it was one of those rules that was some remnant of culturally puritan times.

Remember the geese

I've seen plenty of passionate celebrations that didn't involve taking your shirt off. Doing that on a yellow card knowing you'd get a red was daft. Especially for someone trying to win their place in the team.
I'm fairly certain he wasn't thinking about it. Which is very understandable in the circumstances.

JogaBonitoRooney

It's dumb to give a yellow for that but it's also pointless to take your shirt off and keep doing it knowing you'll get a yellow

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm fairly certain he wasn't thinking about it. Which is very understandable in the circumstances.
I'm just extra gutted because I've been wanting him to get a start for a while now, and the time he does something that could potentially earn himself a start in the following game he gets a red card :lol:

Reiver

I've never understood why celebrating a goal would lead a player to raking their shirt off. That being said I can remember some cracking celebrations when a player has done exactly that.

Parma Dewol

There was more to this than first met the eye. Apparently after taking his shirt off - who can blame him - the emotion of the occasion got to him. I hear he struggled to get it back on and that one of the other players had to help him. Then he supposedly keeled over when the inevitability of a second yellow dawned on him.

All in all an incredible day Amad will never forget. Would love to see footage of the goal aftermath to see if he really couldn’t get his shirt on. :lol:

Remember the geese

I'm just extra gutted because I've been wanting him to get a start for a while now, and the time he does something that could potentially earn himself a start in the following game he gets a red card :lol:
I've always been a big fan of him. I don't see why there is a different perception with him compared to our other brilliant young players. He's a really talented player and ten Hag needs to understand that. Even today, he only brought him on for what he assumed would be the last 5 minutes of the game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Outdated rule that doesnt pay attention to the context. Just like several other rules.

criticalanalysis

So taking off the shirt completely is yellow.

What about a Ravanelli celebration? What if you just lift up your shirt and have a message under that?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The fact that they do it just for the sponsors is even more cringe.
Never knew it was because of sponsors. That is disgusting. How come it happens in international football, without sponsors?
It's a rule made to stop political messages. For simplification they just made the rule to always be a yellow. For whatever magical reason the refs don't feck it up, so let's keep it that way.

I would however be in favor of giving a walk to the first player that takes off his shirt and throw it in the stands while celebrating a goal in OT, if he's been playing all game with two identical shirts just to pull off the stupid move.
Man this forum and their conspiracy theories fecking hell :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It’s two fold, one it can be seen as time wasting putting the shirt back on and 2 it’s seen as an excessive celebration. feck me. Take off your tin foil hats
____

The rule comes under law 12 of Fifa’s laws of the game, under “fouls and misconduct”.

The rulebook (which for some reason still only refers to players as “he”) states:

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed
celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting
and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:

• In the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
  • He climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
  • He removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
  • He covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item
The law against removing your shirt started being implemented in July 2004.

It was largely brought in to avoid time-wasting, as a player must find and put their shirt back on after the celebrations.

Removing a shirt also leads to the possibility of displaying political messages on a garment underneath, which is outlawed by Fifa.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...les-explained-chloe-kelly-celebration-1772383

Red Rash

It's a pretty ridiculous rule but I think it should only be applied if it's considered that the player is wasting time and over elongating the celebration. In the case of Amad considering the fact it was FA Cup, United Vs Liverpool and last minute winner in ET, the referee should have shown some common sense.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's a pretty ridiculous rule but I think it should only be applied if it's considered that the player is wasting time and over elongating the celebration. In the case of Amad considering the fact it was FA Cup, United Vs Liverpool and last minute winner in ET, the referee should have shown some common sense.
Or players could just not undress. It's a silly rule but the easiest one in the game to adhere to. Just don't take your clothes off.

mu4c_20le

Makes no sense to implement a blanket ban just because that one time someone threw their shirt into the crowd and had to wait to get it back. Would've been more sensible to create a 10 second rule where you have ten seconds to put the shirt back on after taking it off specifically during celebrations.

mu4c_20le

Or players could just not undress. It's a silly rule but the easiest one in the game to adhere to. Just don't take your clothes off.
Why celebrate at all? Just don't celebrate, walk back to the center and get on with it. You're there to do a job.

Red Rash

To be fair he had an undershirt so technically was staying dressed. Just cooling off a bit.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Man this forum and their conspiracy theories fecking hell :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It’s two fold, one it can be seen as time wasting putting the shirt back on and 2 it’s seen as an excessive celebration. feck me. Take off your tin foil hats
____

The rule comes under law 12 of Fifa’s laws of the game, under “fouls and misconduct”.

The rulebook (which for some reason still only refers to players as “he”) states:

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed
celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting
and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:

• In the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
  • He climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
  • He removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
  • He covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item
The law against removing your shirt started being implemented in July 2004.

It was largely brought in to avoid time-wasting, as a player must find and put their shirt back on after the celebrations.

Removing a shirt also leads to the possibility of displaying political messages on a garment underneath, which is outlawed by Fifa.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...les-explained-chloe-kelly-celebration-1772383
nonsense. the rule came in because thierry henry has three nipples and felt self-conscious about taking his top off, so the premier league, which is all run by arsenal fans and foreigns, decided to ban it from happening.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I think he did it because of the crap he was getting because his Instagram.
Makes no sense to implement a blanket ban just because that one time someone threw their shirt into the crowd and had to wait to get it back. Would've been more sensible to create a 10 second rule where you have ten seconds to put the shirt back on after taking it off specifically during celebrations.
You wouldn't really want Di Canio whipping off his shirt for 10 seconds

Eric_the_Red99

It is a stupid rule, no question about it. But then, celebrating a goal by taking your shirt off is pretty weird, when you think about it. I can’t think of anything similar happening in other sports (unless they’re deliberately imitating football players). I guess it’s just become normalised over the years.

But if time wasting is the issue, I don’t know why they don’t just stop the clock from when the ball crosses the goal line to when play restarts. This seems pretty logical, especially nowadays when you can be waiting a minute or more for VAR to make up its mind anyway.

I thought it was because of naked man chest stuff, but most players have undershirts on. But it's because of sponsors?! What the feck man.

Teja

They still do that by not fully taking the shirt off though. If that the rule, the enforcement should be different. Fine the player after the game or review and suspend or something.

I don't really buy the timewasting excuse.

Camilo

The fact that they do it just for the sponsors is even more cringe.
Well the sponsors do pay for everything, and ask for nothing but advertising... which is denied when players take their kit off..

Shouldn't be a card though. Clubs should be forced to pay back sponsorship money.

Stadjer

Personally i find it a bit strange that you want to take of your shirt in a moment of joy.... When you take off your shirt to show your name on the back to the crowd while you can still look into the cheering crowd is even stranger to me.

People are different though. If that is how Amad celebrates then that is up to him. I just find it strange but everyone has their own thing.

lex talionis

I never understood why this was a rule in the first place. A more appropriate punishable offence would be that if the undergarment had an offensive message -- or for simplicity of enforcement, any message (commercial, political, love for one's mom), then send the fukker off with a straight red. But to book a player who takes off his shirt and what's left is a hairy chest or whatever, let it go FFS.

NICanRed

Personally i find it a bit strange that you want to take of your shirt in a moment of joy.... When you take off your shirt to show your name on the back to the crowd while you can still look into the cheering crowd is even stranger to me.

People are different though. If that is how Amad celebrates then that is up to him. I just find it strange but everyone has their own thing.
I too don't understand the desire to take the shirt off. I have ripped my shirt off in excitement but usually when I was hoping to score!!