Is anyone enjoying the Nations League?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Part of the problem is using the June window for de facto friendlies. June is reserved for major tournaments or at worst the likes of the Confederations Cup which is obviously quite tinpot but isolated to a handful of countries. I have less issue with replacing friendlies in the Spring and Autumn with Nation League games, but here it seems we are not replacing anything, just bloating the season into June for no good reason.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Too much football, players should be on break now. It's been crazy since the Covid resumption and a lot will have to play a crazy world cup too scheduled in the middle of the season.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah but the 86 team was better.
They played more beautiful, but I'm not sure being a better team, i still prefer 90s Denmark.
A team that get smacked 5-1 in the knock out stage doesn't seem better than a Champions, no matter what are the optics.

I can say France 82-86 was better than France 2018, they lost to a very pragmatic and effective Germany after dominating both games, but they didn't get smacked, more like typical old school german luck in world cups.

Denmark just plain got smacked by Spain after the 1-1, they weren't unlucky to lose that game.

Matriac

People seem to think Nations League add more games, but it just feels like it because there are more matches bunched up together with fewer total international breaks throughout the year as clubs don't want as many breaks.

I recently read an opinion piece about how it will be more difficult to attract good quality managers for international teams in the future.
Using the example of the Norwegian manager in 2002 that had 10 games in February, March, April May (two games), August, September, October and November.
Whereas now in 2022 there are 8 games in March, June and September (of course set up this way because of the WC, which we aren't part of).

The point was the back in the day we had more constant matches, the international manager had more time to constantly prepare for the next match and work with the team over time, instead of just in 3 gatherings during the year. That this will be less attractive to good managers, other than those looking for their last gig maybe. That perhaps in the future we'll have to allow for the same manager to manage a team and a country at the same time.
Unless we spread out matches again, which the clubs do not want.

Bobski

The Nations league is just rebranded friendlies at its heart. That rebranding might work during the season when we can pretend these games matter but during the Summer, no, a poor substitute for proper competition.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
People seem to think Nations League add more games, but it just feels like it because there are more matches bunched up together with fewer total international breaks throughout the year as clubs don't want as many breaks.

I recently read an opinion piece about how it will be more difficult to attract good quality managers for international teams in the future.
Using the example of the Norwegian manager in 2002 that had 10 games in February, March, April May (two games), August, September, October and November.
Whereas now in 2022 there are 8 games in March, June and September (of course set up this way because of the WC, which we aren't part of).

The point was the back in the day we had more constant matches, the international manager had more time to constantly prepare for the next match and work with the team over time, instead of just in 3 gatherings during the year. That this will be less attractive to good managers, other than those looking for their last gig maybe. That perhaps in the future we'll have to allow for the same manager to manage a team and a country at the same time.
Unless we spread out matches again, which the clubs do not want.
Have to say that's very interesting.

Not thought about that

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I mean, it’s better to have football to watch than no football at all. Marginally. But I can’t make myself give even the teeniest shite about any of it. It’s complicated, over long and boring. And an absolute travesty that we’re enduring this bollox instead of what we should be doing this summer, watching a World Cup.

But maybe it’s just me? Are some of ye loving all the ‘ball you’ve been watching these last few weeks?
The Nations League has been a very good innovation on the whole, but the competition has been given a hospital pass in the schedule thanks to the Qatar World Cup.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I guess the Hungarians like it. :lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I love international football. So yes I am very much enjoying the Nations League.

I also love that Hungary just gave England one of the most embarrassing defeats in the history of the national team. 4-0 at home. Great job boys!

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I haven't watched a single full game since it started, it's basically a bunch of semi-friendlies and I just can't be bothered.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Speaking of enjoyment and timing. Our first world cup group match is on a dark and chilly monday morning in november. This will be the shitest world cup if all time.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Turned over to the England game. Thought about why. Turned over to watch season 4 of Drive to Survive, best decision I’ve ever made.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No interest this far

though admittedly I will no doubt take interest if we get to the final purely because wether we like it or not, it’s a potential first viewing of us lifting a trophy since 66

right now though, meh

Which I feel a little hypocritical about, hated meaningless friendlies and then Voila….Nations League where you compete for an actual trophy, and all I do or we do, is smear at it

what do folks want? No friendlies at all, and purely just Euro and World Cup tournaments? Nothing else?
Nations league to replace euro qualification perhaps?

Bangalla

I heard Norway is retiring from football altogether after beating Sweden reserves twice which is like winning the WC x 10 for them.

RoyH1

So weird and dumb that there's been like 4 games per national team after the season finished, with them all being essentially friendlies. It's crazy that they just keep adding matches to the calendar with nothing stopping it.
Football for the Fans they said.
The FIFA suits need more games so they can keep up their standard of living.

lysglimt

Scout
There are some "big" countries who don't take it seriously - for most other countries it's a quite good tournament.

lysglimt

Scout
I heard Norway is retiring from football altogether after beating Sweden reserves twice which is like winning the WC x 10 for them.
Of course a team with Robin Olsen, Dejan Kulusevski, Emil Forsberg, Alexander Isak is the Swedish reserve-team :) Because Sweden have so many good players

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Another decent performance/result from Ireland. Could not care less. Pleased to see progress under our manager and some good individual performances but the result means absolutely nothing to me.

Can’s even wallow In schadenfreude after England’s rotten run of results. Because who cares?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It is nice watching England get thumped. It isn't very nice watching us get thumped by the ROI.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
I’d much rather watch friendly internationals, than watch United play 0-4 at Brighton

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
True, I'd have just binned it this year.
There's 55 teams in the competition, many of whose FAs are dependent upon the revenue from ticket sales and TV rights for funding. It's easy to take that attitude if you are from England - or one of the other major nations with a big domestic league - but international football has far more relative importance elsewhere.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Can't quite put my finger on it but I enjoyed last night more than any others and I'm hungary for more now.

youmeletsfly

It's always funny when England gets a few decent players here and there, a few lucky results and suddenly "it's coming home".

But what's the funniest is when you lot lose and everyone is moaning. I can't really understand it, it's embarrassing. You have a very average manager with a very meh starting 11, where do all these high hopes come from?

Judas

Open to offers
It's always funny when England gets a few decent players here and there, a few lucky results and suddenly "it's coming home".

But what's the funniest is when you lot lose and everyone is moaning. I can't really understand it, it's embarrassing. You have a very average manager with a very meh starting 11, where do all these high hopes come from?
Its 2022 and people still don’t understand the it’s coming home thing. I guess at this point you never will.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
There's 55 teams in the competition, many of whose FAs are dependent upon the revenue from ticket sales and TV rights for funding. It's easy to take that attitude if you are from England - or one of the other major nations with a big domestic league - but international football has far more relative importance elsewhere.
This. Many federations would simply die without the tv rights. Grassroots would be fecked. Football as a whole would suffer from that.

Thankfully those in charge can see the bigger picture unlike the elitist armchair experts on the caf.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
That's a good point. Does anyone know how much the likes of San Marino actually get from UEFA?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The Nations League is not a bad idea in principle (certainly prefer the decent level matches compared to pointless games vs San Marino etc in qualifying) but scheduling this many games at the end of a grueling season is ridiculous

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This. Many federations would simply die without the tv rights. Grassroots would be fecked. Football as a whole would suffer from that.

Thankfully those in charge can see the bigger picture unlike the elitist armchair experts on the caf.
Football has been around for much longer than this pointless competition and will be around for a long time after it’s become a pointless memory. The future of grass roots football won’t live or die based on the success of the poxy Nations League.

Don’t take it too personally that nobody cares about a competition which Norway is doing well in. Deep down we’re all happy for you. Honest.