Is De Gea a bigger Man Utd legend than Peter Schmeichel?

George Beast

He matched Peter's record this week so it begs the question, who ranks higher in goal keeping legendary status at the club?

pacifictheme

Big Pete by miles. Feel like we have this debate all the time.

Love de gea but yeah, he's way behind vds and Schmeichel.

Pickle85

Love DDG but it's pretty clearly Big Pete, despite the city unfortunate bit.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah, Big Pete is still top

dove

DDG joined us at a really bad time because I feel he is a better GK (except obviously the leadership qualities). He would be ranked much higher had we won trophies.

tomaldinho1

DDG joined us at a really bad time because I feel he is a better GK (except obviously the leadership qualities). He would be ranked much higher had we won trophies.
I don't think DDG is as good as either VDS or Schmikes and actually don't think I would think much different with or without trophies because his weakness is so obvious. Top keeper and no shame being behind those two greats.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Question is unfair on De Gea and just invites criticism of him.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Stats don't bring trophies.

DDG has only Europa League title (and he didn't play in the final), others have CL.

I think you can close this thread.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Lost loads or respect for Cartwheel Pete but he was a key part of 2 of our best ever teams so it's hard to argue for DDG.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He matched Peter's record this week so it begs the question, who ranks higher in goal keeping legendary status at the club?
He matched a clean sheet record by virtue of being here longer. Schmeichel won multiple titles and the treble with us.

Rockets Redglare

He definitely is not a better keeper.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think he is, wish we had a keeper like Dane again.

Davicho

Not yet, but he will surpass him in the next few seasons.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He's our 3rd best keeper in the PL era.

I'm unsure who is our best between Schmikes and VdS.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, Schmiechel is arguably one of the greatest of all time, De Gea isn’t.
Tbf, the OP didn't ask if De Gea was a better player. "Legend" is a more nebulous term that doesn't really equate 1-1 with quality or success. Lesser players are sometimes held in more affection and regard than better players, for various reasons.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Seriously? :lol:

Asking who was better would already strongly favour Schmeichel, but bring 'legendary status' into it increases the gap even further. It's not even remotely close. Schmeichel is quite clearly the most legendary keeper in Utd history, Premier League history, and up there amongst the best in the history of the game.

Theonas

Scout
Schmeichel is probably the biggest legend as that for my own definition of legend, there is an element of personality and influence. VdS is the best goalkeeper for me. He just had everything, maybe lacking in one area or two to Big Pete but his overall level was the highest for me.

al tuna

I adore DDG and will always sing his praises and defend him. And I'm genuinely baffled at the hate he's been accumulating the last handful of years, but he's a rung below Schmiechel and VDS.

El Jefe

If this was a poll it might be the first 100% to 0 poll in the history of the caf.

Sylar

Question is unfair on De Gea and just invites criticism of him.
Feels really unfair.

I like ddg but think we need to move on from him. Think ddg wasn't helped with Ferguson retiring then out shit management.
Ddg isn't a better keeper than vds or schmeichel. Ddg might have better reflexes but people either missed or forget what schmeichel gave us .

Schmeichels command of the box and defence was huge.
His ability to start counter attacks with a huge throw was amazing, when he would release Giggs, kanchelskis, Sharpe, even latter times with Beckham and Blomquist.
His leadership was big too.
And he made some defining saves in big games. That Newcastle away game felt like a turning point. Was big in our CL knockout games too. (Strangely enough I do blame him for the final goal for going behind the wall :lol:)

Schmeichel, city move aside, (and his celebration that one time when city beat us)has a bigger legacy easily.

Erik the Red

Quite clearly Schmeichel was the best keeper we've had in the PL era (ignoring the traitor issue), followed by VDS, followed by DDG.

For those that don't remember Schmeichel, he used to come for crosses and win pretty much every single one, he commanded his penalty area, he gave defenders a rollicking, he scared strikers when he came out in a 1v1, he had distribution like a quarterback, and he even scored a critical goal. Basically everything that DDG is not, and this was besides making loads of unbelievable saves.

I'm not sure there is anyone quite like him nowadays.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Asking who was better would already strongly favour Schmeichel, but bring 'legendary status' into it increases the gap even further. It's not even remotely close. Schmeichel is quite clearly the most legendary keeper in Utd history, Premier League history, and up there amongst the best in the history of the game.
Nah, think it's more clear in terms of quality/success than whatever being a "Man Utd legend" actually means.

Because at least in the latter case De Gea unquestionably has longevity on his side, as well as never having played for a rival club. And being the best player in a decade of floundering will typically get you more affection than it will success. Also there will be a generation of fans who while perhaps understanding that Schmeichel achieved more still have more affection for DDG because they grew up with him, where they never saw Schmeichel. Those sort of factors feed more into being a "club legend" than they do a straight assessment of a footballer.

Bogga

I think he'd be seen in a different light had we won some trophies during his career here

klsv

Do you prefer your mom or your dad? Your daughter or your son? Who is a bigger legend, your grampa or your nan?

scottser

Schmeichel was a legend but then he fecked off to city with his medals. big save dave has been a proper servant to the club and a model pro - you wouldn't hear a word said against him.

The most legendary goalkeeper in Uniteds history is Harry Gregg, football didn't start in the 90s. Schmeichel is a great keeper in his own right but some of the recency bias in some of the posts in here winds me up