Film Is Die Hard really a Christmas film...

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A Christmas Carol could have been set on Scrooge’s birthday with the ghosts just visiting him to turn his life around before he’s too old.

But it wasn’t.
No, because its called 'A Christmas Carol'

Whereas had it been on his birthday it probably would have been called 'Scooges Birthday ' or equivalent thereof.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No, because its called 'A Christmas Carol'

Whereas had it been on his birthday it probably would have been called 'Scooges Birthday ' or equivalent thereof.
So you’re happy to hypothetically change a load of stuff in the actual movie to suit your argument but changes to the name are a step too far?

All arguments against Die Hard being a Christmas movie are frankly ridiculous and devoid of any sense.

acnumber9

A celebration party at the end of the financial year to celebrate both Holly and the companies brilliant year?

The firepower the terrorists have meant that it wouldn't matter what time of year it was, they were storming that building.
Does this also apply to Christmas songs? I wish it could be financial end year every day has a certain ring to it.

Last edited:

Champ

So you’re happy to hypothetically change a load of stuff in the actual movie to suit your argument but changes to the name are a step too far?

All arguments against Die Hard being a Christmas movie are frankly ridiculous and devoid of any sense.
Sorry, I don't follow?

Die Hard is a Christmas movie by association, it's set at Christmas.

A Christmas Carol is a Christmas story by both storyline (ghosts of Christmas past, what Scrooge has done in Christmas' past) and in name.

Take Christmas from Die Hard and it's still the same movie just minus some great quotes, take it from a Christmas Carol and it loses all meaning.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sorry, I don't follow?

Die Hard is a Christmas movie by association, it's set at Christmas.

A Christmas Carol is a Christmas story by both storyline (ghosts of Christmas past, what Scrooge has done in Christmas' past) and in name.

Take Christmas from Die Hard and it's still the same movie just minus some great quotes, take it from a Christmas Carol and it loses all meaning.
Take Christmas from Die Hard and the lead characters fundamental motivation for being in the story is lost.

You listed a load of “could have done x” scenarios to change one movie, you could apply that logic to any movie to make it no longer a Christmas movie but the movie that actually exists is a Christmas one.

Champ

Take Christmas from Die Hard and the lead characters fundamental motivation for being in the story is lost.

You listed a load of “could have done x” scenarios to change one movie, you could apply that logic to any movie to make it no longer a Christmas movie but the movie that actually exists is a Christmas one.
Take Christmas from Die Hard and it still would or could have happened in exactly the same way at any other time of year.

Take Christmas from Christmas Carol and it fundamentally changes the whole aspect of the story and ceases to have meaning.

Had it been called Die Hard at Christmas, and Christmas was integral to the plot and not just a vague reason for someone to be where they are (again that could be any event at any time), then it would be different

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Take Christmas from Die Hard and it still would or could have happened in exactly the same way at any other time of year.

Take Christmas from Christmas Carol and it fundamentally changes the whole aspect of the story and ceases to have meaning.

Had it been called Die Hard at Christmas, and Christmas was integral to the plot and not just a vague reason for someone to be where they are (again that could be any event at any time), then it would be different
You can keep saying it, it still won't make it true.

Champ

@Champ is driving home for Christmas a Christmas song?
Considering the drummer who played on the song said it wasn't originally intended as a Christmas song, id probably say no.
It's more about being stuck in traffic trying to get home for Christmas.

It would work just as well had Rea sang 'travelling home for Easter'.

Champ

You can keep saying it, it still won't make it true.
Oh but it is true, and I think should you find that Christmas spirit and reach deeeeeep down inside yourself, you'd realize that it is too.

RedNome

Oh but it is true, and I think should you find that Christmas spirit and reach deeeeeep down inside yourself, you'd realize that it is too.
Oh, you tried again?

Let me see.............nope, still bollox, sorry.

Champ

Oh, you tried again?

Let me see.............nope, still bollox, sorry.
C'mon, I know you can do it.

Pull that cracker and release the inner Christmas spirit.

Tell me then, what exactly involving Christmas is integral to the story of Die Hard, that hasn't already been mentioned or debunked currently on this thread?
For example, Love Actually uses Christmas as it's integral plot line anchor, without Christmas day we wouldn't have several of the overlapping large plot lines. Remove Christmas and it's just a bunch of individual stories.

Remove Christmas from 'A Candy Coated Christmas ' (an absolute bona fide classic by the way) and you lose the major structure of the story again, it just becomes a film about a mint farmer.

Lose Christmas from Die Hard and you don't lose a lot.

It's a Christmas film by association. Nowt wrong with that, buts it's no Christmas In Vienna or Christmas at the Plaza, both must sees every festive period.

RedNome

C'mon, I know you can do it.

Pull that cracker and release the inner Christmas spirit.

Tell me then, what exactly involving Christmas is integral to the story of Die Hard, that hasn't already been mentioned or debunked currently on this thread?
For example, Love Actually uses Christmas as it's integral plot line anchor, without Christmas day we wouldn't have several of the overlapping large plot lines. Remove Christmas and it's just a bunch of individual stories.

Remove Christmas from 'A Candy Coated Christmas ' (an absolute bona fide classic by the way) and you lose the major structure of the story again, it just becomes a film about a mint farmer.

Lose Christmas from Die Hard and you don't lose a lot.

It's a Christmas film by association. Nowt wrong with that, buts it's no Christmas In Vienna or Christmas at the Plaza, both must sees every festive period.
Been done to death in this thread already dude, you crack on.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You can tell the football is shite when the main topic is the status of a 30+ year old film!

Champ

Could you not just change that to the plot anchor being somebody’s birthday?
Nah, wouldn't work, Rickman would have to make sure his mistress has the same birthday as Scarf lady, otherwise that whole present plot wouldn't work.

Likewise the nativity play bringing the characters together, wouldn't quite work with a Birthday party, or certainly wouldn't be as seamless.

That plot relies heavily on Christmas, Die Hards doesn't.

Champ

Come to think of it, two of the most iconic scenes in Love Actually explicitly require Christmas,
The necklace and the placards.

The necklace requires a reason for Rickman to buy two presents at the same time, one for his wife and one for his minx, and then would need a reason for everyone to be opening presents together, Christmas.
The placards requires Carol singers as a disguise.
Couldn't work any other way.

Hence forth Die Hard is only a Christmas film by association.

The reasoning is sound.

acnumber9

Come to think of it, two of the most iconic scenes in Love Actually explicitly require Christmas,
The necklace and the placards.

The necklace requires a reason for Rickman to buy two presents at the same time, one for his wife and one for his minx, and then would need a reason for everyone to be opening presents together, Christmas.
The placards requires Carol singers as a disguise.
Couldn't work any other way.

Hence forth Die Hard is only a Christmas film by association.

The reasoning is sound.
I definitely can’t question your knowledge of Love Actually. On iconic scenes though I’m not sure that ho ho ho now I have a machine gun works in February. The whole final sequence doesn’t really work without the Christmas tape either.

SuperiorXI

"Welcome to the party pal"

You know what else has parties? That's right. Christmas.

Stonewall Christmas movie and if you think it's not, I feel sorry for you.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is sleepless in seattle a Christmas movie?

Roosney

The huge teddy bear John bought for his daughter whispered me it's a Christmas movie.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
McClane only wanted to get back together with his wife because it was Christmas? Surely not.