Is Erik Ten Hag the next SAF?

Anders Agnalt

ETH hasn’t put a foot wrong since he came to OT and showing signs of taking us right back to the top. His substitutions once again pivot in us turning things round. Last time I was this excited SAF was in charge.
Far from it, but he has the potential to be a legend. But he needs to be consistent for at least a decade to get there!

Very good game today, but it was only Barcelona. Sunday we got a bigger game - Newcastle

Valencia Shin Crosses

Most impressive thing = he changed things at half time.

Something he needs to learn. The subs “to see out the game” only invite more pressure. After McTominnay came on we were under more pressure in the remaining 7 minutes then throughout the whole second half before
That's less about McTominay and more because our wingers were acting like dickheads taking players on in the 88th minute.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
No. We can still end the season with no trophies and no top 4.

championo

Top Stalker
Next SAF, I don't know, but he is not someone who will say his aim is to make us "difficult to beat". Even I felt defeated hearing that. The aim is to beat other teams and not make it difficult for other teams to beat you. It was a defeatist and passive mindset and it stayed with this team for so long.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Most impressive thing = he changed things at half time.

Something he needs to learn. The subs “to see out the game” only invite more pressure. After McTominnay came on we were under more pressure in the remaining 7 minutes then throughout the whole second half before
I think ETH's great at adjustments tactically and with the subs.

Question -- how long is this 5 subs limit going to stay? That may change the level of impact that ETH may have on a game.

SirMonteyne

It's too early to say, IMHO he'll make our team pretty decent, but not like those super teams, you see like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, or United in their prime. Still, too early to say.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Im kinda scared about barca snatching him up. Feels like he appreciates experienced players, so after winning thing for 3~4 years he may leave:( just nightmares though.

CallyRed

There are some exciting signs that's for sure and it's looking good.Let's just calm down a bit and stay off the weed.

dal

His win ratio is better. Definitely a better coach.

mikeyt

No-one will be the next SAF, but ETH has had a fantastic start and has begun his own legacy very well.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Question -- how long is this 5 subs limit going to stay? That may change the level of impact that ETH may have on a game.
It's here to stay i think.

tomaldinho1

Chill. No need for comparisons, he’s been in the job 6months. Let’s just enjoy ETH.

TehRed

I just want to say that I truly can't believe how quickly Ten Hag has made such a massive impact on the whole club.

The fight that the players are showing, their attitude and togetherness, the relationship with the fans, the quality of football, the authority he's shown, and of course the results that we've had.

I'm sure in our wildest dreams we all hoped that he might be able to turn the results around and re-shape the club to some extent, but did anyone think it would be so evident after such a short period of time? I thought maybe after two full seasons there would be encouraging signs and foundations to build upon but christ he's just doing it all right now isn't he? Why wait eh!

Chief123

Let’s just say it would have been absolutely gut wrenching if we ended up going for Poch and ETH ended up at Chelsea or Spurs. The guy is different class. Incredible attention to detail and tactics.

Hughes35

I look forward to 25 yards time when ETH retires and brings in his replacement of "Davide Van Moyes"

Hughes35

Here to stay that. No way they will reduce it again.

Sviken

wow, wow, wow... let's take a break here a minute. As much as I love Ten Hag, he has a long way to go before he even gets close to being the next SAF.

Simbo

:lol: Saving this for when the first calls for EtH to be replaced start popping up.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We'll never see another SAF. Modern football isn't built for it. He was a total enigma.

Even Klopp at Pool for 9 years now looks completely spent.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
SAF built the club from the ground up. No matter how good ETH is he would always have a distinct advantage over the great man. So no. ETH isn't the next SAF. Which isn't to say he can't build his own legacy.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
No, he’s not. Nor should he be. He’s not the next Ole. He’s not Matt Busby reincarnate. Or whoever yourman who gave orders was in 1892. He is himself, on his own trajectory, creating his own story, which, for good or Ill, will never be repeated. Best of luck to him.

Zlatanator

i don't think he can stay here for 20+ years. With the right backing i can see him here for 5-8 years.

Chairman Steve

No and we shouldn’t expect that. We should measure it against Klopp and Guardiola for now. He could give 5-6 years of great football and trophies but that doesnt last forever. We could easily be back to being a team being just ordinary. Look at Chelsea
and Liverpool. Last season they contested both domestic cup finals and were Top 3 in the Premier League. This season they’re in midtable being bantered.

Ferguson was a one off where somehow he just had the determination to keep winning and winning and winning. He also managed to defy the natural cycles of football. I don’t think there’s ever been a manager who has done that at the highest level. His staying power is unprecedented.