Is Fred a marker for where Man utd are right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

In a better team Fred would perform a valuable role, in his current state he would fit in well in Liverpool’s midfield, harrying, covering and getting the ball moving.

The problem is the lack of dynamic creative players ahead of and around him.

Pereira and Matic are current markers for this squad. Not currently good enough or never good enough.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Only a few weeks ago I think I posted here that Fred was very average and a sad reflection that he was excelling in this side.

But I have reflected on that now (complete 180). He has dramatically improved, fair play to him. His final ball in the attacking 3rd still leaves a lot to be desired, but he is looking a very important player for us all of a sudden. If We could get Pogba and McTominay fit we would actually have a potentially capable midfield

spiriticon

Fred is probably a squad quality player for Barca, Bayern or City. A backup for Busquets, Thiago or Gundogan

The fact that he is one of our star performers shows that we have indeed fallen from the elite, but he's better than Championship level for sure.

Josh 76

Any team's strongest XI is always a great indicator of where they are.

Would any players from your strongest XI get in at Wolves currently?

Our strongest XI: Patricio, Dendoncker, Coady, Boly, Doherty, Moutinho, Neves, Jonny, Traore, Jimenez, Jota

Your strongest XI? Maybe: De Gea, Wan-Bisakka, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams, McTominay, Pogba, Fred, James, Marital, Rashford

On pure ability probably Maguire, Pogba and Rashford are the only ones that get straight into our first XI.

GK - De Gea and Patricio about even.
RWB - Wan-Bisakka probably a better defender than Doherty, but not as good going forward, so as a wing-back I'd go with Doherty
LWB - Jonny better at this stage than Williams or Shaw
CB - I'd go with Boly, Coady and Maguire from all the options, Lindelof pushing Coady close, but Coady's leadership wins
CM - Moutinho and Pogba, with Neves pushing hard
RW - Traore all day
LW - Rashford all day
CF - Jimenez all day
You can probably say this about Leicester too

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I get what you're trying to say but don't let some mixed results cloud your judgement. This United team is still ahead of Wolves despite being in awful form. Rashford, Greenwood, Martial have outscored the Mane, Firmino, Salah and the squad itself is ravaged by injuries to key players. Imagine Wolves without Moutinho/Neves for the season (Pogba/Mctominay) and no Jiminez (Rashford). You'd be dropping plenty of points.

On pure ability De Gea, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Pogba and Rashford nail down a spot easily. Then the likes of Williams, Mctominay, Fred (who is having a good season) and Martial would be in the conversation. Mason Greenwood is also in the squad and better than any youth product on the books at Wolves.
The wider squad may very well predominately be Man Utd players and all the players you've mentioned would make it. But you can only put 11 players out, which is why I stressed the point about first XI.

One of the main reasons United are still ahead of Wolves is down to Rashford's and McTominay's goals/contributions earlier this season. Without them both in your first XI, you are significantly weaker. Assuming you don't sign anyone of note this window, I can see you really struggling for the next few months.

You're right about De Gea. I am probably letting current form and Patricio's 87 Portuguese caps cloud my judgement. De Gea is a better 'keeper, just maybe not on current form.

Wan-Bisakka hasn't performed as well all round as Doherty for me over the past few seasons. Maybe in a back 4, Wan-Bisakka gets the nod, but as a wing-back, I'd rather have Doherty all day long, he is so much more dangerous going forward.

Williams, McTominay and Fred might be in the conversation, but not for long. Williams is nowhere near Jonny's levels and consistency that won him a Spain call-up. He may get there soon and I half expect an England call-up is around the corner.

McTominay and Fred are nowhere near Moutinho, arguably Neves too.

Martial might be in with a shout based on longer-term quality verses Traore, but if it's a right wing spot they're competing for right now, Traore is ahead.

Based on our formation: De Gea, Maguire, Coady, Boly, Doherty, Moutinho, Pogba, Jonny, Traore, Jimenez, Rashford

Based on yours: De Gea, Wan-Bisakka, Maguire, Boly, Jonny, Moutinho, Neves, Pogba, Traore, Jimenez, Rashford

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Any team's strongest XI is always a great indicator of where they are.

Would any players from your strongest XI get in at Wolves currently?

Our strongest XI: Patricio, Dendoncker, Coady, Boly, Doherty, Moutinho, Neves, Jonny, Traore, Jimenez, Jota

Your strongest XI? Maybe: De Gea, Wan-Bisakka, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams, McTominay, Pogba, Fred, James, Marital, Rashford

On pure ability probably Maguire, Pogba and Rashford are the only ones that get straight into our first XI.

GK - De Gea and Patricio about even.
RWB - Wan-Bisakka probably a better defender than Doherty, but not as good going forward, so as a wing-back I'd go with Doherty
LWB - Jonny better at this stage than Williams or Shaw
CB - I'd go with Boly, Coady and Maguire from all the options, Lindelof pushing Coady close, but Coady's leadership wins
CM - Moutinho and Pogba, with Neves pushing hard
RW - Traore all day
LW - Rashford all day
CF - Jimenez all day
So only 3 players are as good or better than Wolves players, among them Pogba is injured all season but still above in the table. Does that mean Ole is better than Nuno?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Stopped reading at I rate this player at Championship level.

Nonsense. Price and initial performances won't ever let Fred earn any credit.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
So only 3 players are as good or better than Wolves players, among them Pogba is injured all season but still above in the table. Does that mean Ole is better than Nuno?
Absolutely. The guy's a genius and I hope you keep him for a very long time.

Pass and Move

What a stupid post.

It's illogical to conclude that one of the best players in our team this season is Championship quality when we're sitting 5th in the PL.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fred has been decent, although like Shaw last season (was it last season? they all blur into one shitfest) he's probably been overrated by some because he stands out as one of the only ones playing something close to how they all should.

fergieisold

Watched Henderson in a similar role for Liverpool and although he plays in a top team, he's not great. But looking at his contribution (what he actually does/acheives/creates) is night and day compared to Fred.
Fred has been excellent recently and one of the only players holding us together. We'd be absolutely screwed if he gets injured (without return of McTom, Pogba)

Haddock

If Fred was putting in the kind of performances he's been putting in over the last couple of months for City (minus the shooting) we'd be raving about him.

Andreas is the correct marker. Clearly has some talent, but not enough to do what he often tries to do and when he does use whatever talent he does have he has decision making that makes Adama's look like Messi.
What a stupid post.

It's illogical to conclude that one of the best players in our team this season is Championship quality when we're sitting 5th in the PL.
5th is kind of a 'false' position though. 34 points from 23? That's atrocious in literally any other season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You think we are being held together at present? FFS.
I mean yeah, things are just about holding on, but I feel there's a pretty big collapse coming soon.

If we lost Fred we'd be in huge trouble. The guy's been a 1 man midfield for weeks.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Fred is probably a squad quality player for Barca, Bayern or City. A backup for Busquets, Thiago or Gundogan

The fact that he is one of our star performers shows that we have indeed fallen from the elite, but he's better than Championship level for sure.
This 100%

Anyone saying he's championship standard is wrong. Anyone saying he's good enough for where we want to be is also wrong. He's just an average player. We won't be winning another PL title or CL trophy with likes of Fred in our side. Not a chance. Then again we won't be winning either of them ever again until the gobshites have sold the club so he'll fit in just fine.

Sylar

This is with regards to most players, and not just Fred, I think we are on par for our squad. I dont think we should be any higher than we are (albeit we could possibly be 4th but not with that many more points - maybe 6 or 7 more).
I dont think were massively under or over performing either way.

Decomposing In Paris

I rate this player at Championship level and he’s become a regular player for us at DM. We’re at present holding on to 5th place in the PL. In reality we are now on a level with the bottom teams imv.

Feck 5th place it means nothing, Fred walks into our midfield that says it all!

Probably get crucified for this from the ”Fred good enough for utd brigade” so I’ll prepare myself.
Apparently most of our players are Championship level, and we've got a manager who can't get the best out of them, and has no plan, plus we have some awful injuries to contend with... it's amazing that we're not fighting relegation in the Championship rather than sitting 5th in the Prem. Jeez, roll it in lads.

simplyared

Fred has been excellent recently and one of the only players holding us together. We'd be absolutely screwed if he gets injured (without return of McTom, Pogba)
Don't agree! it's what I'm saying he offers so little he could be replaced, even with our current squad and we wouldn't be any worse. Probably would be an improvement. For what he does on the field and what he contributes could be done easily by someone else.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Absolutely. The guy's a genius and I hope you keep him for a very long time.
Thought so. You are just missing basic point. Performance that's considered as good for Wolves will be called as not good enough for ManUtd because of expectations.

redshaw

Lingard probably or a mix of Lingard Sanchez Greenwood. Poor quality, can't score, knackered, off the pitch more concern than on it, stupid wages for utter crap and some promising young players coming through but nowhere near good enough yet or plentiful to counter the awful mess at the club. Will take a while for the tide to turn.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Christ.

He's been good this season. If you take out his final third 'contributions', he's been one of the best midfielders in the league.
that's like saying if you take away a striker's goals, he's been one of the best in the league, or if you take away how many goals a keeper has let in, he's been one of the best in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.