Is Fred a marker for where Man utd are right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplyared

I rate this player at Championship level and he’s become a regular player for us at DM. We’re at present holding on to 5th place in the PL. In reality we are now on a level with the bottom teams imv.

Feck 5th place it means nothing, Fred walks into our midfield that says it all!

Probably get crucified for this from the ”Fred good enough for utd brigade” so I’ll prepare myself.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Christ.

He's been good this season. If you take out his final third 'contributions', he's been one of the best midfielders in the league.

Devil81

Improved loads and would walk into most Premier league sides below us in the league.

I'd say Daniel James is more a marker of the current United, buying actual Championship quality and making him the first choice right winger is a joke.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You clearly don't watch the championship.

Judas

Open to offers
Fred shouldn't be a starter long term if we want to be the top club we once were, he's a useful squad player, but to pick him out with all the utter dross we put out there every week is bonkers.

If this was a thread about how often Andreas has started this season and has been used as our main creative force it would have made a bit more sense.

ROFLUTION

:lol:

Fred's been on City/Liverpool level. Player of the season with Rashford so far. We're more like James I'd say. A bit in limbo, not sure if we have quality and not sure where this will develop

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I rate this player at Championship level and he’s become a regular player for us at DM. We’re at present holding on to 5th place in the PL. In reality we are now on a level with the bottom teams imv.

Probably get crucified for this from the ”Fred good enough for utd brigade” so I’ll prepare myself.
There's a very wide gap between being good enough for Manchester United on a push back to the top of world football and Championship level. I think in 2019/20 Fred has been somewhere in it, probably towards to the top end.

Canagel

There are at least 15 other players and a manager that deserve criticism before Fred. Try again

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There are at least 15 other players and a manager that deserve criticism before Fred. Try again
No he's included in it. Standards have just fallen that far. He's been best of a terrible group. Would struggle to get on the bench for the top 2.

fergieisold

Ask yourself seriously if you think Fred is Championship level. I don't believe you really do. You're just angry and upset at our current predicament!

el3mel

Saying he's Championship player is very harsh. He's not good as a starter long term maybe but he showed more than enough to be considered a good option to have.

simplyared

Obviously the player is much higher valued by most of the caf members than I would value him. That said can someone tell me: what does this player bring to the table because I dont see it.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Any team's strongest XI is always a great indicator of where they are.

Would any players from your strongest XI get in at Wolves currently?

Our strongest XI: Patricio, Dendoncker, Coady, Boly, Doherty, Moutinho, Neves, Jonny, Traore, Jimenez, Jota

Your strongest XI? Maybe: De Gea, Wan-Bisakka, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams, McTominay, Pogba, Fred, James, Marital, Rashford

On pure ability probably Maguire, Pogba and Rashford are the only ones that get straight into our first XI.

GK - De Gea and Patricio about even.
RWB - Wan-Bisakka probably a better defender than Doherty, but not as good going forward, so as a wing-back I'd go with Doherty
LWB - Jonny better at this stage than Williams or Shaw
CB - I'd go with Boly, Coady and Maguire from all the options, Lindelof pushing Coady close, but Coady's leadership wins
CM - Moutinho and Pogba, with Neves pushing hard
RW - Traore all day
LW - Rashford all day
CF - Jimenez all day

izec

No he's included in it. Standards have just fallen that far. He's been best of a terrible group. Would struggle to get on the bench for the top 2.
He would get on the bench for Pool and City with ease, he would have to fight to start for them though. Ultimately, he lacks some end product and great passing, but he would fit in in both teams midfield energy wise, especially at Liverpool.

cyberman

Hes bigger than the level we are at. His recycling of the ball from deep would stand out at a top tier club since its becoming a rare commodity to have in present day football

Last edited:

Raw

Christ some people just won't admit that Fred has improved this season and still cling on to wanting to slate everything he does. I don't think at this moment in time he's good enough for a top team, but under a better manager in a better set up he could thrive further.

I admit that I thought he'd never come good but he's showing that he does have a place here. At the very least as a substitute midfielder.

Dr Fink

Yep, good point. I agree with the OP and a few on here. He's our best performer and vastly improved under ole - the only one, but wouldn't get in the side if we were challenging for stuff.

Mainoldo

No. He’s the marker of where we need to be.

If we can build a style reflective of his qualities we’ll have a team. High energy; good in the ball recovery and quick passing.

But we’ll probably higher Southgate.

The Original

It's clear most people do not understand what Fred does so well. He is the reason why utd can be so dominant in possession while losing games: he presses effectively and is virtually impossible to dispossess, while efficiently distributing the ball. In a team with creative attackers Fred, much like Modric, would be absolute gold.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I hope you don't compare you're being told you are just wrong, with being "crucified"?

Fred is one of the biggest success stories in the EPL this year along with Vardy, Grealish, Abraham and Ings. He doesn't have a final third production but his 2/3 effort has been absolutely fantastic after a initial shaky start.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

Our strongest XI: Patricio, Dendoncker, Coady, Boly, Doherty, Moutinho, Neves, Jonny, Traore, Jimenez, Jota

Your strongest XI? Maybe: De Gea, Wan-Bisakka, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams, McTominay, Pogba, Fred, James, Marital, Rashford

On pure ability probably Maguire, Pogba and Rashford are the only ones that get straight into our first XI.

RWB - Wan-Bisakka probably a better defender than Doherty, but not as good going forward, so as a wing-back I'd go with Doherty
CB - I'd go with Boly, Coady and Maguire from all the options, Lindelof pushing Coady close, but Coady's leadership wins
RW - Traore all day
LW - Rashford all day
CF - Jimenez all day
I think Wan-Bissaka would get in ahead of Doherty and De Gea ahead of Patricio. I'm also not sure about Moutinho and Pogba in a midfield, think you need Neves.

I would definitely swap all of Wolves over 23s for our over 23s!

simplyared

Ask yourself seriously if you think Fred is Championship level. I don't believe you really do. You're just angry and upset at our current predicament!
Watched Henderson in a similar role for Liverpool and although he plays in a top team, he's not great. But looking at his contribution (what he actually does/acheives/creates) is night and day compared to Fred.

Darlington Padgett

There's only 1-2 players in our squad better than fred this season. He's improving every week and playing well even when we look like a team that isnt even playing football....

RUCK4444

:lol: Wow just when I thought threads couldn't get more grim somebody starts one about our best performing player.

He's clearly much better than championship level, it's taken him a full season and regular game time to settle.

I would take the thread more seriously if you had chosen a player like Pereira, but even he would be a lower table PL side quality.

The overall quality of the squad is not top four level, there are a handful of good players but mostly bottom half of the league quality.

Varun

Staff
Weird flex to choose one of our best players this season as a symbol of our mediocrity. If everyone was at his level, we'd be having a much better season.

Ashley Young is symbolic of our current situation. Squad player at his peak to captain in his retirement and had the club begging him to stay aged 34.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's not a Championship player by any stretch.

He's an odd player to explain though.

He's not an attacking midfielder because he doesn't contribute that much in attack, he barely scores or assists.
He's not a defensive midfielder either because although he doesn't slack defensively, he doesn't offer a great deal of protection to our defenders, nor does he have much positional instinct.
He doesn't control the game enough to be considered any sort of playmaker in any sort of form.

So what the feck is he?

Despite all of the above, I think he's going to be a very important player for us if we can give him a regular defensive midfielder and attacking midfielder who can actually do their jobs to play with him in a three because he just kind races around doing a bit of everything without actually dominating and mastering one particular role. I guess he's a bit like Herrera in that respect, in that he can be trusted to own the middle third but you don't really trust him too close to either goal.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He will be fantastic under a good coach.

He has strengths that are already pretty obvious. In the right role in a well coached system, he will be a great player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fred championship level :lol: I've heard it all now ffs.

The guy is the only thing holding us together right now.

cyberman

He's not a Championship player by any stretch.

He's an odd player to explain though.

He's not an attacking midfielder because he doesn't contribute that much in attack, he barely scores or assists.
He's not a defensive midfielder either because although he doesn't slack defensively, he doesn't offer a great deal of protection to our defenders, nor does he have much positional instinct.
He doesn't control the game enough to be considered any sort of playmaker in any sort of form.

So what the feck is he?

Despite all of the above, I think he's going to be a very important player for us if we can give him a regular defensive midfielder and attacking midfielder who can actually do their jobs to play with him in a three because he just kind races around doing a bit of everything without actually dominating and mastering one particular role. I guess he's a bit like Herrera in that respect, in that he can be trusted to own the middle third but you don't really trust him too close to either goal.
I think hes third in a 3. A transition through midfield.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Unfortunately lingard is current marker for this squad.

Loads of potential seems to apply to united and jesse.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I read this utter bollocks as a sky alert comes through that we are linked with Ighalo and Slimani.

Fred is the issue though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fred has certainly benefited from Pogba being out for so long.
He's improved a lot.

Whether he's enough for us long term is anyone's guess.
Knowing our recruitment it's not like we'll suddenly bring in upgrades very quickly.

Mike Smalling

If Fred is championship level I wonder if Andreas and Lingard should even be playing professionally.

TheReligion

Abusive

RW - Traore all day
LW - Rashford all day
CF - Jimenez all day
I get what you're trying to say but don't let some mixed results cloud your judgement. This United team is still ahead of Wolves despite being in awful form. Rashford, Greenwood, Martial have outscored the Mane, Firmino, Salah and the squad itself is ravaged by injuries to key players. Imagine Wolves without Moutinho/Neves for the season (Pogba/Mctominay) and no Jiminez (Rashford). You'd be dropping plenty of points.

On pure ability De Gea, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Pogba and Rashford nail down a spot easily. Then the likes of Williams, Mctominay, Fred (who is having a good season) and Martial would be in the conversation. Mason Greenwood is also in the squad and better than any youth product on the books at Wolves.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

That supposes people are interested in your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.