Is Gareth Southgate a shiite England manager?

justsomebloke

I listed the teams he bundled over and showed how is squad was capable of better performances.
Your counter was evident you have no legs to stand on
You "showed how is squad was capable of better performances"? :)

I don't need a counter (although I did in fact provide one, though you prefer to pretend otherwise). The facts speak for themselves, and your reasoning is blindingly, self-evidently absurd.

goalscholes

He is a very good man manager and a good ambassador.

He has one tactic that worked well against worse teams before it was found out. His record against top 10 sides in major tournaments is very poor, so his best skill by far is getting extremely favourable draws.

He's nowhere near as good as managers of rival teams, and ruthless and ambitious organisation would have replaced him for Howe or Potter when they had the chance.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You "showed how is squad was capable of better performances"? :)

I don't need a counter (although I did in fact provide one, though you prefer to pretend otherwise). The facts speak for themselves, and your reasoning is blindingly, self-evidently absurd.
Do you think the squad performed as expected against the quality of the opposition it faced?

Why don't you explain how England throwing a 1-0 lead with 15 mins to go to Croatia, or needing a penalty shoot out draw vs Colombia, or being played off the park against Italy is in any way shape or form expected from their squad given the quality of the opposition.

You can't, because very quickly you realize its because the manager was wank.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He's likely an average to above average manager. The problem is most of England's talent is/was severely overrated.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
England's Ole. When you look purely at the results, he is not doing that badly to warrant a sacking etc. When you watch games though it makes you wonder what are they doing in training and there is this feeling they can play much better with the group of players they have. Park the bus and hope for the best tactics suit national teams much more so I predict he will stay for quite some time.
How much time do they actually have to train?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't think his religious views are relevant?

RopersReturn

No doubt Sporting Lisbons, Edwards who’s just scored a superb goal against Spurs will be ignored by Southgate. He’ll pick out of form Kane every time.

Tallis

Easy draws but you can’t really fault his achievements in the two major tournaments he has managed. Ultimately, managers get evaluated on results.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The answer is obviously 'No'

Semifinal and then final puts him clearly above any England manager in most people's lifetimes

Was he punching above his weight to get that far? Probably but still you can't argue with the result

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
As an Irishman perpetually waiting for the next England calamity, scandal and early tournament exist, Southgate has been a huge disappointment. At times it has been genuinely terrifying.

Lecland07

I think he is a manager who been fortunate to fall into the role when he did. I cannot think of an easier run of games than England had in the Euros. For me, failure was not an option as we had a better side than every team we faced in that tournament.

In the world cup, we got beaten by any side that wasn't average - the Croatia game was pathetic and limp. Far too negative.

I believe his negativity, and limited managerial ability, cost England the euros. I am less bothered about the world cup, though, as France were, indisputably, the best side in that tournament with pretty much every player seeming to be on top form.

I hope we do change from him after the world cup (unfortunately, it would have been better before because I think this tournament will be wasted). We have some talented young players that are available and a manager with more ability and attacking intent will get more out of them.

corno_mufc

Not a big fan of Southgate.

But have people forgotten Iceland?

Or Euro '08 qualification?

Gareth has got the national side back on track, did well in 2 majors (regardless of draw or circumstance)

But probably should have been moved on after losing the final.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His reasons for choosing some players and leaving others out are so contradictory. He'd have more credibility if he just strait up said these are the players he's comfirtable with, as is his right since he's the manager.
I would hate to have a boss like him. If you have principles, stick to them. He comes off as a twat.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Fair point. I meant it more in terms of Greece (with Rehhagel) vis a vis England (with Southgate). Nobody remembers that Greece team with fondness, and they have the trophy, yet this England team of nearly-rans is (wait for it…) lionized.
Cause Greece kinda fluked it, they should have lost to Czech Republic to begin with.

Czech players wasted too many chances, including one with the greek goalkeeper far away from the goal line.

That game in particular was mostly lost by the czech players rather than won by Greece.

Greece were kinda destined to win that Euro.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's a shite club manager but an above average England manager.
Is he though? Which teams has he beaten convincingly or games controlled to point to this?

I think he couldn't pick easier groups/routes to finals if he tried, and that's had the biggest hand in England's chances. Of course I'm putting aside the fact that he's had a lot of quality to work with too.

saivet

The 'easy draw' argument is an easy stick to beat him with when it happens at every tournament. Very rarely does the finalist have a draw from hell.

I also think Germany, Denmark and Italy is not an easy set of teams either. There have and will be sides winning tournaments with favourable draws, it's just the way it goes.

It's about taking advantage of those opportunities.

2016 England got knocked out by Iceland.

In 2010 we finished 2nd in the group to USA and if we won the groul the route to win the tournament would have been Ghana, Uruguay, Netherlands and Spain.

The two defeats we've had have been close matches too, a loss in extra time and a loss on penalties.

I'm not a big Southgate fan but feel he deserves a lot more credit.

Strootman's Finger

He’s been good for England

boring as feck, but good
So what makes him good? His football is boring and not enjoyable to watch, and they haven't won anything with him in charge. I'm struggling to find the good. And don't tell me it's making it to a final, making a final and not winning is an achievement for small nations with no history, not for England, winning a final is an achievement.

Andersonson

I dont think the caf is the right judge for this kind of questions. Potter is the new messiah, Jack Rodwell was the next Xavi etc. Fans on here has 300 opinions and they change next week.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So what makes him good? His football is boring and not enjoyable to watch, and they haven't won anything with him in charge. I'm struggling to find the good. And don't tell me it's making it to a final, making a final and not winning is an achievement for small nations with no history, not for England, winning a final is an achievement.
He beat Denmark in ET?

RopersReturn

Despite the poor quality of football, he has a good rapport with the England fans. I remember him conducting whilst they sang Neil Diamonds “Sweet Caroline” during the Euros. The Media love him with his snazzy waist-coats.

Lyng

The answer is obviously 'No'

Semifinal and then final puts him clearly above any England manager in most people's lifetimes

Was he punching above his weight to get that far? Probably but still you can't argue with the result
That's not a high bar to punch above though

Rodgerzzz

The man made us all dare to dream again and for that I will forever be grateful to Big Gareth's contribution to the England team.

GMoore23

Is he though? Which teams has he beaten convincingly or games controlled to point to this?

I think he couldn't pick easier groups/routes to finals if he tried, and that's had the biggest hand in England's chances. Of course I'm putting aside the fact that he's had a lot of quality to work with too.
Well he's certainly doing a better job than McClaren who couldn't even qualify for the Euros with Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc. McClaren was a better club manager than Southgate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well he's certainly doing a better job than McClaren who couldn't even qualify for the Euros with Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc. McClaren was a better club manager than Southgate.
Right but being better than a diabolical manager for England doesn't make someone good.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's an odd one. Southgate could be, at the same time, a crap manager but also England's best manager for a long time.
I wonder how Sven would have done if he didn't face that Brasil side of 02 and lost from a Ronaldinho worldie.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
He doesn't know that he doesn't use his talents in the most appropriate way. He couldn't maximize their potential. I'm not an English supporter but I don't think this guy can be a person who fulfills English people's dreams or great enough to win WC despite having a lot of talents.

Robbie Boy

I wonder how Sven would have done if he didn't face that Brasil side of 02 and lost from a Ronaldinho worldie.
Crazy how much I still remember this game! I was like 16 at the time. Football seems like a completely different sport compared to what it was back then...