Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FujiVice

Bit harsh for people to use him as the example of a shit defender, no?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Of course not... But it comes with the territory of being a £80m defender and captain for Manchester United unfortunately.

arnoldS

I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Sure he is not the best around but after last season's shit show he is pretty solid this year. Apart from that no one deserves to be bullied like that. At least we should fully support him as long as he is here.

el3mel

He's a shit defender though, and an arrogant one at that too.

SER19

At the moment probably. He's captain of one of the biggest clubs in the world and turns like that ship that blocked the suez canal. Hed be a good player and rebuild his reputation at another club a couple of levels down

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Calamity James kinda received the same bullying levels.

But James wasn't worth 80 million, nor he played for Man Utd nor was captain of England.

cyberman

Calamity James kinda received the same bullying levels.

But James wasn't worth 80 million, nor he played for Man Utd nor was captain of England.
And in another thread we have posters telling us it isn’t Enzo Fernandez fault he cost 120m?!

Von Mistelroum

In fairness, it's not often you see a premier League defender unable to turn in a circle, or who seems to lose track of where the ball is in relation to himself alarmingly often. Let alone one who cost £80m and is captain of an actually serious club.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Pound for pound he’s one of the biggest flops in recent times, playing in a position that highlights all mistakes, at a club that is under more scrutiny than any other. He’s the perfect meme footballer really.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It wasn’t his fault we signed him for a ridiculous sum of money. But sadly, if you execute as poorly as he does, at a club that he’s at and in his role at that club (and his National country, mind), you don’t have many shadows to hide in. No one deserves abuse, but such is the current status quo.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Definitely over the top but he doesn't help himself sometimes with his public comments and interviews.

Rolaholic

Honestly think him being handed the armband was the single worst thing to ever happen to his career.

The price tag was one thing but becoming club captain of one of the biggest teams in the world for nonsensical reasons gave him little to zero time to adjust to the expectations and pressure at the club and made him the most visible public figure/face for our failures.

Doesn't help that he was often a contributor to poor play/results as well but I don't think it would've been nearly as bad if he wasn't captain. It just compounded everything for him.

I partially blame Ole really for him becoming a genuine meme.

Last edited:

Revaulx

I’m not sure he’s arrogant. Just a not very bright Yorkshireman whose rather ham fisted attempts to justify himself end up doing the opposite.

Gazza

It sucks, really does. It's also the nature of the beast and nothing new.

Jaap Stam when he first arrived got done in by Anelka twice in his early games with us. I still remember him being mocked in the media as a waste of money for a few weeks before people slowly started to shut up when they realized he was absolute class.

Laurent Blanc was absolutely lampooned when he joined us. To the extent one tabloid had a headline "BLANC" spelling out the first letter of each team we had lost to in the league that season. And he was a World Cup winning defender.

Harry Maguire is following that tradition but hasn't had a season like Jaap did in 1999 to shut them up.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Obviously I've watched a lot more of Maguire but I can honestly say I've never seen Upamecano play a single game where he didn't commit some sort of massive feck up. I have seen that from Maguire.

USREDEVIL

I think he's on the decline. He is getting slower and more fridge-like by the week. But he's a pretty decent defender against slower non-pressing teams. Sort of.

lex talionis

Harry has defibyejy been overly abused, but he would do well to shave off that weak mustache.

Red Star One

It is very funny and obviously unfair, he's not half as bad as the meme has it. He surely didn't help himself by coming across as quite arrogant.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He wouldn't get half the stick if he stopped the billy big bollocks, I keep getting picked, I've got nothing to prove horseshit.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Was given far more time by this fanbase than others have been.
Exactly. And yes when you look as stupid as Maguire has as many times in recent years in matches, and so many of those clips go viral, you're going to become a meme of a defender yourself.

It's not like he had a single howler and people aren't letting it go

Rolaholic

It sucks, really does. It's also the nature of the beast and nothing new.

Jaap Stam when he first arrived got done in by Anelka twice in his early games with us. I still remember him being mocked in the media as a waste of money for a few weeks before people slowly started to shut up when they realized he was absolute class.

Laurent Blanc was absolutely lampooned when he joined us. To the extent one tabloid had a headline "BLANC" spelling out the first letter of each team we had lost to in the league that season. And he was a World Cup winning defender.

Harry Maguire is following that tradition but hasn't had a season like Jaap did in 1999 to shut them up.
Yea it's happened to better defenders than him.

A few years ago Boateng was one of the most laughed at memes in the world after Messi embarrassed him and that was coming off a World Cup win not long before :lol:

His attitude hasn't helped him tbf but it comes with the territory.

city-puma

If a so-called Manutd supporter joins them to ridicule Maguire, that “supporter” is a fake supporter. Other than that, no one cares.

HarryP

I don't like the sort of personal abuse and heightened attention that Maguire has received, I think it encapsulates all the bad things about football fans and social media culture.

Obviously being an underperforming Utd captain and having cost £80m are big reasons. But I actually sense that the sheer levels of abuse he receives is triggered by different factors such as his name, physical appearance and on screen personality. It's all pretty seedy and unsavory imo.

hobbers

An unfortunate combination of him being a clown, making horrendous errors and brain farts in every game, and at the same time trying to do everything with a swagger and arrogance as if he was prime Beckenbauer.

Status
Not open for further replies.