Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dve

Yeah, I did think it was a bit funny Rojo bringing this up.

I don't think any sensible fan wants Maguire to play instead of anyone else available, though.
At the moment, surely not. Still, it's not THAT long ago since fans pinned out loss in the EL final to Maguire's absence. Maguire's standing dramatically demolished last season, but Rojo left the club in the January window 2021, and he is referring to a conversation he had with Ole in 2019 - calling the manager "son of a bitch" because he was not picked over Maguire. Absolutely laughable.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I don't rate Maguire but Rojo is actually the worst United defender I've seen with more than 20 starts.

CaseHero

What level is he now? I still think he walks into the current Spurs side but that isn't say much.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I know there are a lot of people who think we will have no problem selling him, and I think that was true for ever-present 2019 Harry Maguire.

But for 2023 version, after so many mistakes, in an era where managers fortunes can change so quickly, I honestly don’t know who would take the chance and the pressure that comes with such a signing.

We will have to subsidize his wages and hope that he is content dropping out of the European clubs. Honestly, based on his interviews, I don’t think his pride would let him do that.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think Maguire might actually be a good fit at Newcastle. Could form a partnership with Dan Burn.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Others have said it, but he's not been the same player since he had those legal problems in Greece.
Probably the best form of his career (certainly the best in his time here) came after that though. He started that season in poor form for the first couple of months, then improved a bit for a couple other months before really stepping up and being one of the best defenders in the league for the second half of that season. That half a season is really the only time since he joined us that he's been consistently good enough.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
How do you claim it’s not deserved and social media driven and then proceed to participate in it with your own criticism on an Internet forum? Real noble.

It is deserved, people take it too far but arseholes are everywhere, not just on social media. If he would show a little more humility and own up to his poor performances rather than deflect and say things like “everyone played bad last season” then I might show him more respect. He very much deserves his place on the bench.
The difference is I'm not being personal about it, my comments are all based on how he plays for Utd. There's no shame in not being good enough for us, vast majority of players aren't. It's not his fault someone paid £50m too much for him. I don't really care about how he handles criticism or conducts himself as he's just not good enough for an elite club. He's a perfectly good enough premier league CB when playing mostly in a low block counter attack system. No shame in that whatsoever. I don't really get any glee out of making his very name a kind of synonym for personal failure though as has pretty much been the case online. I find it tasteless yeah.

scottser

Harry is an absolute fine defender. He’s just not world class. We paid way to much and valued him way to hi just for being a large englishmen defender of the classic Premier League standards.

Him being large and slow with avarage passing skills doesn’t work at all with our keeper De Gea though.

Ten Hags first mistake when arriving to Manchester was letting Harry keep the captaincy…

Hopefully for both us and Harry we will go separate ways as soon as possible. I can absolute see Harry strive in a mid Premier League club defending lower where he doesn’t have to be on the front foot as much.
I don't think it was a mistake to let him hold on to the captaincy, as it would have been sensible to keep him and the rest of the squad onside. As the expression goes, it's better to have him inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in.

stw2022

I don't think it was a mistake to let him hold on to the captaincy, as it would have been sensible to keep him and the rest of the squad onside. As the expression goes, it's better to have him inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in.
Maguire would be outside the tent pissing in his own face before falling over and landing in someone else's piss

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Obviously, he has to go. He's now been relegated to 5th choice, behind our left-back.

As for where he goes, maybe West Ham. I just don't think there will be that many top teams who would want him in all honesty.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Quite frankly, I don't think there are many players in this squad who have a great deal of respect for Maguire as captain, so taking it off him would do absolutely nothing in that regard.

stw2022

Despite everything I still think his market value is north of £25m

JeffFromHK

He is not a "trash" footballer as some fans claim to be or a world class footballer, he is just a standard PL level CB, similar to what we had in Silvestre or OShea (their CB versions)

scottser

Quite frankly, I don't think there are many players in this squad who have a great deal of respect for Maguire as captain, so taking it off him would do absolutely nothing in that regard.
There is that, but I can understand ETH's need to be diplomatic too. I think we're all agreed that he should move on this summer regardless, this shite of 'I want to stay and fight for my place' is nothing short of him doing a Rodwell.

Stadjer

He is not a "trash" footballer as some fans claim to be or a world class footballer, he is just a standard PL level CB, similar to what we had in Silvestre or OShea (their CB versions)
He is a standard PL level CB with some glaring weaknesses. Almost every player has a certain weakness but i havent seen many players where it is so obvious and hurting the team so much as with Maguire. He is a good PL level CB in a system that prevents the chances for his weaknesses to show.

Oscar Bonavena

There are definitely PL teams for whom Harry Maguire would "do a job". I'm thinking teams who defend deeper, don't dominate possession, don't expect their defenders to play out from the back, and rely on counterattack. The one that immediately comes to mind is West Ham, I could see Moyes being interested in him for the right price.

But coming back to the title of the thread. At what stage does Maguire become such an online laughing stock, that it actually prevents clubs going in for him?! Not because they're not interested in him, but because they're afraid of blowback from their own fans who have seen too many of those "'Arry Maguiahhh" tiktok memes?!

bringbackbebe

I have many fond memories of O'Shea and some of Silvestre. The memories I have of Maguire are ones I want to forget asap.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He will be good for a team which will sit deep and play with 3 at the back. He is solid PL defender in right system.

But in 4 at the back system with high line he looks like Wout in attack. Completely out of depth.

glasgow 21

H.Maguire and being good in the same sentence is laughable. The only issue at hand is hopefully some manager other than Southgate has a love for him so we can get a decent transfer bid

sjw2511

Absolutely yes, hes a terrible player, but there are other terrible players, eg Weghorst, that are likeable and honest and work hard, they dont belong at United but I like them. Maguire is both, terrible player and terrible unlikable arrogant attitude.

RedOrange

At what stage does Maguire become such an online laughing stock, that it actually prevents clubs going in for him?! Not because they're not interested in him, but because they're afraid of blowback from their own fans who have seen too many of those "'Arry Maguiahhh" tiktok memes?!
Surely we reached this stage a year ago already.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I will never forget Maguire doing this.
He tackled his own team-mate which then led to our opponent scoring against us.
Shaw was shocked.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Shaw was shocked.

I had forgotten about this... :lol:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Shaw was shocked.

This is bad but the one at Man City where he let it run through his legs in our box and they scored, as if he's Messi, was worse for me.

Absolutely awful player

McTerminator

Think about when the decision was made.

If ETH takes the captaincy at the beginning of this season then we probably make Ronaldo captain at that point we’d have been stuffed.

ETH may have actually used Maguire in the best way possible this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.