Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

Mourinho's attitude is questionable but his assessment of players is usually spot on. I did not say 100%. There are few players over his career he was expecting to perform which they didn't. But barring few excpetions his assessments has quite high % of being right. At the end he is a very experienced manager and when he doesn't rate someone high or praises someone, at least better to heed his views.

Initially he rated Rashford's workrate very high. I remember him mentioning Rashford specifically in an interview. But later somehow his interest in Rashford (and Martial too) wore off.
No, he has a record of not developing players who are actually top talents.

Also, this is no time to be drawing conclusions, the player isn't even 22.

-Supreme-

I remember when everyone suggested he was held back by Mourinho. At least now people are finally seeing he's not the level he has to be yet in order to lead our line.
Tbf there were loads of excuses made for Rashford

Here are just a few...

1. Held back by Mourinho
2. Played out of positions
3. `Injured`and not match fit from Feb till end of season...lots of people blamed Ole for overplaying him
4. Lingard is a bad influence on him...affected his on field performances
5. Blaming Ole for over reliant on him even though many thought he deserves to get plenty of game time

Dan_F

He’s always going to have his pace to fall back on, but he needs to add to his game. He’s barely progressed since making his debut, in terms of what he offers. He’s still only 21 though right? How many strikers are leading the line at an elite club at that age? Not many are scoring 20 plus goals a season I’d bet.

I don’t think it’s his fault that he’s been made a starting striker already, at a club where the expectation is ridiculously high.

NoMidfielders

The huge new deal we gave him was a bit of a headscratcher at the time and now looks like an even worse decision. We're paying him the kind of money proven elite forwards are on before he's had a 20 goal or even 15 goal season in the league. If he does improve to the level he could then he'll still demand a wage rise and be on ridiculous money, if not then it's a huge waste of money.

Robbie Boy

I remember when everyone suggested he was held back by Mourinho. At least now people are finally seeing he's not the level he has to be yet in order to lead our line.
One day you’ll move on from Mourinho.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So he's not a striker after all ? Must be a winger magician then... or maybe false 9 in a number 10 shirt, or even Ole doesn't know what the f... is going on.

The One and Only

He will never be top class striker. Anyone with a basic knowledge of football,w has watched him regularly over the past few years knows this

He will get a few goals here and there because of his pace and and explosiveness...but the fact is, he would be lucky to eventually reach the level of players like Vardy. But i i guess that's good enough for United these days. That's how far we have fallen

roykeane19

Shhhhh.
They'll call you less of a fan for actually being able to gauge a player's ability.

If Rashy was Lithuanian, he would never be on 200k a week given his output/performances. He'd even less so be accepted by some fans as being the prime example of progress at a club like United.

Put it this way. I was a GK for a long time, then a LB. I would rather play Rashford 10/10 times a week than someone like Zlatan. Zlatan would cause me, and all other defenders, a nightmare even if the team wasn't playing well. Even if the team was playing well, I'd still be far more confident with Rashford as the main striker than a proper CF.
Exactly with top strikers, you dont know what they`ll do, everyone knows Rashford will try and kick it past them, he cant dribble, who unlike Martial who comes alive in the box with his dribbling is a proper CF, who we should be fully trying to get the best out of and develop, not trying to give Rashford equal playing time as a CF just to please the fans because hes an academy product(which means shit all, if your not good enough).

Theres this crazy romanticsied notion that we have some world class acadmy and that we must play them, in the last 30 years we only had 2-3 world class players from there - Giggs, scholes, and one could argue mabe Beckham.
That is pretty shit tbh, so I dont see, why everyone thinks an academy player will be the next Ronaldo when they score a few goals on their debuts.

Frank Grimes

He’s always going to have his pace to fall back on, but he needs to add to his game. He’s barely progressed since making his debut, in terms of what he offers. He’s still only 21 though right? How many strikers are leading the line at an elite club at that age? Not many are scoring 20 plus goals a season I’d bet.

I don’t think it’s his fault that he’s been made a starting striker already, at a club where the expectation is ridiculously high.
Nobody is saying it's his fault he is our main striker, we're saying it's a fecking travesty that he is.

Red_toad

Put him in the left wing, get someone to replace him up front.
So replace him with whom? Considering the transfer window is close and our other options are a teenager and an injured player.

Rashford needs to get back to the basics, making runs into spaces, anticipating crosses and passes. Looks like he's just trying too hard.

RC89

He has such an ego on him. His decision making is shocking. Would rather take a shot from a 40 yard free kick at an acute angle than play it in, despite having no history of scoring long range. Today he could have slot Mata in after seeing him and didn't. Terrible decision making.

kerryman

IMO he has regressed since he first burst onto the scene. Have said it many times before, he's nowhere near good enough to be a main striker for a team that wants to challenge for titles. I can't believe we are paying him so much, his pay would suggest he's one of the top strikers in the league when he's bang average. Apart from pace what top attributes does he have compared to other elite forwards? Pace isn't even the most important attribute of an elite striker. He's not good enough for the right wing role either as he's not a natural winger. At best he's a wide forward option off the bench for occasional appearances. Too many people have the romanticised notion that he's an academy boy who is going to go on to become one of the world's best strikers. He's more likely to become the next Danny Welbeck.

reddev3

He needs to stop modelling himself on Ronaldo and start modelling himself on Mane (i think they look similar although Rashford is a few levels below). I think he has played the pre season and first few games well as a WLF and would be even better when he cuts out the long range shots and free kicks. Him and Martial have been causing quite a bit of havoc together the first three games although a little wasteful, it's just a shame Martial got injured so early.

Keep him on pens, take him off free kicks and keep him wide left. He obliterated Trent playing there and got us a win against Liverpool, who knows maybe he can do it again this year :p

manunited1919

Now that we don’t have many options up front it wouldn’t be the best time to burst his bubble, he needs confidence. Timing issues aside, his bubble does need bursting.

Infra-red

He's not particularly good, certainly not of the standard required to lead the attack for a team with top 4 aspirations. But what can we do - there's nobody else except kids.

Foxbatt

It's what Scholes said today that was telling. He said Rashford is not going to be a great goalscorer but only a scorer of great goals. If someone like Scholes has given up on him it's time to get some other options.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He has such an ego on him. His decision making is shocking. Would rather take a shot from a 40 yard free kick at an acute angle than play it in, despite having no history of scoring long range. Today he could have slot Mata in after seeing him and didn't. Terrible decision making.
I kind of expect this from him now. Kind of applaud him when he actually looks around and passes the ball.

People say he is still young and blah blah but that shouldn't be the execuse for his terrible decision making. We don't see other young players making such braindead decisions on a weekly basis.

He'sRaldo

I actually don't think it's ego. I think LVG made him, Martial, and Lingard look much better than they actually are. When they followed his strict instructions and were not allowed to play their own playstyle, they excelled.

Maybe we need someone who can coach them all in that same manner. Give them extremely strict instructions to follow on the pitch, so that the braindead decisions can cease once and for all.

Last edited:

POF

It's Ole's fault for playing him up front, when he's clearly a winger. Just like it was Jose's fault for playing him on the wing when he's clearly a striker.

Or maybe he's just an inexperienced kid who lacks consistently and maturity.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
That’s the problem with not having strong leaders in the team who will bollock him if he does such things. Keane used to bollock Ronaldo when he went down easily and he eventually cut it out. Rashford thinks he’s made it and can do whatever the feck he wants.

passing-wind

It's Ole's fault for playing him up front, when he's clearly a winger. Just like it was Jose's fault for playing him on the wing when he's clearly a striker.

Or maybe he's just an inexperienced kid who lacks consistently and maturity.
A mixture of both and maybe the fact he's just a pants footballer. I know that Ole is hardly giving the players the platform to play champagne football but how does Rashford turn from a very bright English prospect under LVG to Gabriel Agbonlahor in the space of 18 months ? If Ole is sacked and Marcus still looks like garbage with the next coach he needs the Welbeck treatment.

Frank Grimes

I hate this new idea that seems to have come over the caf that Rashford thinks he's Ronaldo or has got too big for his boots. That is so far away from the truth imo.

Rashford works his bollocks off so it's not like he isn't trying. His main issue is he is terrible at decision making and runs into dead ends the whole time. He also doesn't have the vision to release players in a better position than him or he doesn't have the passing ability to pick the optimal ball. I've come to realise that he just isn't good enough in a lot of aspects of the game , not because of an attitude problem but just a footballing one. Please don't say he isn' trying though, that's bullsh*t.

Treble

Sterling looked lost at Rashy's age. This doesn't guarantee that Rashford will be able to turn it around. His decision making is very average. Experience might change that.

Frank Grimes

It's what Scholes said today that was telling. He said Rashford is not going to be a great goalscorer but only a scorer of great goals. If someone like Scholes has given up on him it's time to get some other options.
Scholes is a terrible rent- a -quote pundit.

We should have bought Haller.

Rashford for me will only ever become a vardy level player, and he’s not even playing at that yet.
Vardy level? Vardy is class.

Frank Grimes

Sterling looked lost at Rashy's age. This doesn't guarantee that Rashford will be able to turn it around. His decision making is very average. Experience might change that.
I alway knew Sterling was class. He had poor finishing but he was so much better at the fundamentals than Rashford is now.
He was a big part of the Liverpool team that nearly(nearly)won the league and he was only a teenager.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Guardiola coached and made Sterling the player he is today and is reaping the benefits now.

Ole simply can’t replicate that, its so obviously has no man management skills like guardiola or klopp. Rashford won’t be anything more than a Theo Walcott.

POF

A mixture of both and maybe the fact he's just a pants footballer. I know that Ole is hardly giving the players the platform to play champagne football but how does Rashford turn from a very bright English prospect under LVG to Gabriel Agbonlahor in the space of 18 months ? If Ole is sacked and Marcus still looks like garbage with the next coach he needs the Welbeck treatment.
Because his spell under LVG was a confident kid that the opposition knew nothing about having a purple patch. That was never going to last no matter who was the manager.

His best spell of performances in a United shirt were actually at the start of Ole's time in charge. It was the first time he looked like a genuine quality senior footballer rather than a talented kid riding a wave of confidence.

It's a dilemma for United. Rashford is talented but will be inconsistent. They desperately need a consistent experienced talisman to lead the attack. The 2 that should be doing that (Lukaku and Sanchez) have failed and it's a huge gap to fill for young players, no matter how talented.

clarkydaz

I hate this new idea that seems to have come over the caf that Rashford thinks he's Ronaldo or has got too big for his boots. That is so far away from the truth imo.

Rashford works his bollocks off so it's not like he isn't trying. His main issue is he is terrible at decision making and runs into dead ends the whole time. He also doesn't have the vision to release players in a better position than him or he doesn't have the passing ability to pick the optimal ball. I've come to realise that he just isn't good enough in a lot of aspects of the game , not because of an attitude problem but just a footballing one. Please don't say he isn' trying though, that's bullsh*t.
Agree with this, he has big heart but no footballing IQ

meamth

Same problem as last year, trying to be Ronaldo. When the half chances coming in, he is just pure shyte.

red4ever 79

One of the worst strikers I have seen in a long time at Utd in comparison to the hype. Head down running into blind alleys. Takes all free kicks and puts them into touch. No footballing IQ as has been mentioned. Runs into traffic. We are in the shit this season as this guy is never going to score 20+goals in the league.

tony54

All I will say is that the sooner that Greenwood gets into the team the better. He has real potential in front of goal and is a quick thinker.
Give him 30 minutes a match and get him weaned in and stop messing with pereira and lingard as forwards

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You would think at some point that running straight an trying to outpace his opponents would help him realize it's not efficient every time

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Well it’s certainly burst for me anyway.
He’s still young but he’s old enough to show a lot more consistently than what he’s showing.
I don’t understand how can have great game and then have a string of shockers where he can’t even complete a simple pass.

Big improvements needs to be made to our attack. Within two seasons, I see Rashford as a squad player for us.

He’s not good enough to lead us in the attack.

El Zoido

You do get the impression he believes his own hype though.

He’s a big problem for us, if Ole plays favourites with him it’ll be his undoing. If we had a quality centre forward we’d have won yesterday.

Enigma_87

You know who
I kind of expect this from him now. Kind of applaud him when he actually looks around and passes the ball.

People say he is still young and blah blah but that shouldn't be the execuse for his terrible decision making. We don't see other young players making such braindead decisions on a weekly basis.
Being still young tends to have bad decision making just like other young players. He needs strict coaching and his decision making needs to be worked on.

Kurton

Now that we don’t have many options up front it wouldn’t be the best time to burst his bubble, he needs confidence. Timing issues aside, his bubble does need bursting.
His bubble needs to be burst. But not in terms of putting his confidence down. Ole needs to sit him down, explain his limitations and tell him what he can and can't do on the pitch. That means no taking shots from 40 yards, no freekicks, that he might not play in the striker position, and that it's better he learn how to operate on the wings rather than cutting in and running at defenders all the time.

Ole seems to have given him free reigns, and it needs to stop for the betterment of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.