Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemansky

I regret that Woodward did not pay the whole amount this summer! We got a set price and stupidly tried negotiation. Next summer Liverpool will be in the mix after they sell Salah to one of the bankrupt Spanish sides and Chelsea will be a real force when Frank gets more experience. Shame on Woodward for not paying the money!!

Teja

Are there any attainable RW players that can come in and give us atleast Rashford levels of quality from the right? Maybe Dembele but it didn't seem like he wanted to come last summer, so I'm hesitant about another Di Maria type situation.

Judas

Open to offers
Are there any attainable RW players that can come in and give us atleast Rashford levels of quality from the right? Maybe Dembele but it didn't seem like he wanted to come last summer, so I'm hesitant about another Di Maria type situation.
Why on earth would you want Dembele when Sancho is available? It's not like Dembele would be cheap either.

TsuWave

Hes not. He's been very impressive for Dortmund but has been poor when I've watched him in the CL against the top teams.

Grealish on the other hand is the best player on the pitch every time he plays for Villa, regardless of which team he's playing against. They're similar players in terms of play styles, but Grealishs final ball, shooting and dribbling are all ahead of Sancho's currently, particularly because it's proven against the best teams in our league.

I'd be disappointed if we spent more than £50m on Sancho given the question marks over him, whereas I'd happily spend £70m on Grealish. Though the bigger question mark is whether we really need either given both are right footed and long term would play their best football on the left, like Rashford does. Given these question marks I'd classify Sancho a gamble at a high price despite his obvious ability.
I’ll preface this by saying I’m not really here to try to change your opinion, you will not change mine, and lastly, I don’t care for your couch scouting testimonials.

Jadon Sancho is indeed 5 years younger than Grealish, and has had back to back world class seasons, being one of the most consistent and productive players in Europe:

https://www.squawka.com/en/game-changers-consistent-europe-top-five-leagues/

His form has dropped for the current campaign, but by most reports, including from people at his club, he’s been unsettled and expected a move this summer just gone. He’s also seemingly returning to form.

However much stock you place in the protracted quality of premier league teams, thus elevating Grealish in your eyes, is up to you, but it’s not as if Bundesliga teams aren’t/haven’t been doing better than Prem teams in the CL recently.

Teja

Why on earth would you want Dembele when Sancho is available? It's not like Dembele would be cheap either.
It's hypothetical - the question is if Sancho is worth 100m, not if we should get Dembele instead of Sancho. If for example there are other RW players that can do the job for substantially cheaper, then no Sancho won't be worth 100m for us and I suspect for any other clubs as well.

I regret that Woodward did not pay the whole amount this summer! We got a set price and stupidly tried negotiation. Next summer Liverpool will be in the mix after they sell Salah to one of the bankrupt Spanish sides and Chelsea will be a real force when Frank gets more experience. Shame on Woodward for not paying the money!!
this is an attempt at parody I assume?

Zen86

Whatever we offered in the summer, we should offer half the amount. Serve those pr*cks right.

NYAS

Our hand is really strong with this deal in the summer. The kid wants to come back to England and Dortmund can’t wait for another window to sell him as his contract will have one year left next summer. They also won’t want what happened this season to happen again.

Chelsea are stacked, Arsenal and Spurs can’t afford him, Liverpool would need to sell Mane or Salah (can anyone afford them in this climate?) and apparently a City return is a no go.

SAFMUTD

Our hand is really strong with this deal in the summer. The kid wants to come back to England and Dortmund can’t wait for another window to sell him as his contract will have one year left next summer. They also won’t want what happened this season to happen again.

Chelsea are stacked, Arsenal and Spurs can’t afford him, Liverpool would need to sell Mane or Salah (can anyone afford them in this climate?) and apparently a City return is a no go.
I agree, we seem to be the only likely destination for him.

Bayern has Sane and Gnabry, Juve has Kulusevski and Chiesa nor I can imagine them spending 80M on Sancho, City due to his past is a no go, Chelsea is full of wingers.

Barca is broke, Madrid will focus on Haaland and Mbappe, the only team that can challenge us is either Liverpool if they sell one of Mane or Salah or PSG if they sell Mbappe or Neymar. I dont see that happening.

I would offer 70M+10 in add ons. Firstly because all football finances are down because of covid, secondly Dortmund has to sell, is not a matter of if they want or are willing to sell, they just have to or they face bankrupcy, and thirdly Sancho's level has been diminished a lot, if this was his first season with them we wouldn't even be interested.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Where are we getting even 70 - 80 million £ from (+ money for DM or/and CB) especially if we don’t sell Pogba?
Any deal will need to be structured over several years, not possible otherwise for us.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.

Perfect summary. They are not the type of club to suck up 100m loss very well, and it also proves that being a big international club is more than bums on stadium seats. I'll be happy at around 30-40 up front and the rest in installments.. Unless they want to lose him on a free then

croadyman

Where are we getting even 70 - 80 million £ from (+ money for DM or/and CB) especially if we don’t sell Pogba?
Any deal will need to be structured over several years, not possible otherwise for us.
Yeah hard to see where we raise the required funds for Sancho from if Pogba doesn't leave

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not really sure we should go for him now, Bundesliga has produced so many recent flops in PL... and he hasn’t been outstanding in Bundesliga this season anyway.
if he is available maybe will try a cheeky 50m bid for him (which is still a risk as that’s the price where Werner cost Chelsea)

redshaw

Chelsea were allegedly put off with the asking price before. With Tuchel in and Roman determined to get Chelsea back up there I can easily see them being in for Sancho again. Saying they're stacked, well they can easily offload any failures and try again. Depends how well the new signings do as a lot can happen but if things still aren't going great then it's a possibility.

if United is not in the race you can bet Dortmund will be very accommodating to Chelsea, Pool or Spanish clubs (should they find some money) regarding fees and installments and addons just to get a deal done.

roseguy64

Chelsea were allegedly put off with the asking price before. With Tuchel in and Roman determined to get Chelsea back up there I can easily see them being in for Sancho again. Saying they're stacked, well they can easily offload any failures and try again. Depends how well the new signings do as a lot can happen but if things still aren't going great then it's a possibility.

if United is not in the race you can bet Dortmund will be very accommodating to Chelsea, Pool or Spanish clubs (should they find some money) regarding fees and installments and addons just to get a deal done.
Offload the failures to who? Very few clubs will have money until things are closer to normal.

city-puma

Not really sure we should go for him now, Bundesliga has produced so many recent flops in PL... and he hasn’t been outstanding in Bundesliga this season anyway.
if he is available maybe will try a cheeky 50m bid for him (which is still a risk as that’s the price where Werner cost Chelsea)
Agree completely. But sancho’s close control is really good. I feel he can do wonderful quick one-two interchange play with martial, Rashford, Bruno, and Greenwood. How about Diallo then? We probably won’t go for him anymore.

Caesar2290

Not sure if you read the news, but Barca are skint and on the verge of bankruptcy. For a start they would listen to offers for Dembele right now and we might get him on a discount price with the whole Covid uncertainty.

Players can have drops in form, especially 20 year old ones, specifically one who's unsettled.
I agree with you on this one. Young players tend to go hot and cold. Just look at our own Greenwood.

But the thread title is "Is he worth 100 million"? No

For 100+ million you expect the absolute best, the cream of crop. Only a couple of players fit into this criteria: Neymar, Mbappe, Halaand, Kane, KDB, you could argue that Messi and Ronaldo because of their marketing value and maybe Son.

Sancho is a level below these guys and I value him in the 60-80 million range(addons included). The board seems to agree with me on that one considering our last summer's bid. And with the whole covid uncertainty it's only a matter of time before the huge sponsorship money dries out.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sancho is a product of english football.

Players can have drops in form, especially 20 year old ones, specifically one who's unsettled.
Sure they drop forms, but if we are going to pay 100m for a certain player in this COVID market, it’s huge risk, we sure shouldn’t expect the player to drop form for so long. 50m for an inconsistent yet talented young player who is looking for a move, is about right in this market.

Also, he is only proven in BL, not anywhere else.

TsuWave

But the thread title is "Is he worth 100 million"? No

For 100+ million you expect the absolute best, the cream of crop. Only a couple of players fit into this criteria: Neymar, Mbappe, Halaand, Kane, KDB, you could argue that Messi and Ronaldo because of their marketing value and maybe Son.

Sancho is a level below these guys and I value him in the 60-80 million range(addons included). The board seems to agree with me on that one considering our last summer's bid. And with the whole covid uncertainty it's only a matter of time before the huge sponsorship money dries out.
I was not responding to the thread title with my reply.

This isn't the early 00's or even 5 years ago. Valuations have soared. +100M is not only for "the absolute best". Coutinho, Felix, Griezmann, Dembele, all reportedly moved for +100M. It's likely that COVID and its effects on clubs' budgets might bring valuations down. Hopefully it does. If you want to "expect" only the absolute best for +100M that's up to you, just know that isn't necessarily reflected on the market/what's been happening for a while now.

TsuWave

Sure they drop forms, but if we are going to pay 100m for a certain player in this COVID market, it’s huge risk, we sure shouldn’t expect the player to drop form for so long. 50m for an inconsistent yet talented young player who is looking for a move, is about right in this market.
My reply to you referencing his drop in form wasn't an attempt at justifying a +100M fee. It was me simply saying that young players often have drops in form, in Sancho's case it's even more understandable considering he wanted out of Dortmund. Sancho has performed at an extremely high level for two years. His drop in form has been a couple of months and he's already back playing well for a minute now. Even attaching the "inconsistent" label to him is a stretch, but that's a different conversation

I don't know where you're getting that 50M valuation being about right. I don't think there have been any transfers or moves that this one could be compared to. All I know is that Sancho is arguably the best for his age group, not only that, for the positions he plays, regardless of age, in the world, and stats over the past couple of seasons corroborate this. Any club that could get him for 50M would be getting a bargain. Similarly, if I supported or worked for BVB I'd be feeling robbed if he was to move for 50M. Put it like this, if anyone offered 50M for Greenwood I'd find it offensive as a United supporter, and Sancho is > Greenwood.

Lennon

Not sure if you read the news, but Barca are skint and on the verge of bankruptcy. For a start they would listen to offers for Dembele right now and we might get him on a discount price with the whole Covid uncertainty.
I don't know where all this Dembele affection come from ... This guy is a clown. Overrated, injury prone and a troublemaker. Why would people like to have such a player in our team? I really don't get it.

RkkMan

Dont let their last spending spree think they can just do it often. They were sitting on a transfer budget of two windows on top of huge amounts of cash from selling Hazard and Morata circumstances heavily favored themthey dont have that luxury of spending 200m plus every year and besides last summer and Jose`s first season at Chelsea Roman historically never spends THAAAAAAT much in one transfer window plus their priority(according to Chelsea journos) is a ST once Giroud leaves with Ziyech, Pulisic, Odoi(both of who are young) and Werner(German privilege will buy him time with Tuchel and he`s not an out out no9) there`s no space for a top winger when they need a ST, CM and CB
Pool cant buy Sancho unless one of their wingers leave and they will be VERY VERY lucky to find anyone willing to break the bank for a 29yr old winger in a COVID market, Barca are literally dependent on free bee transfers(Depay, Eric Garcia and Wijnaldum are all getting signed for free) because they`re comically broke and there`s talk of Aguero who`ll also be a free transfer I`d like to know where they`ll get 80-90m for one player, Madrid`s focus is on Mbappe(who they`re struggling to afford) and Haaland they dont go after English players anymore

city-puma

This isn't the early 00's or even 5 years ago. Valuations have soared. +100M is not only for "the absolute best". Coutinho, Felix, Griezmann, Dembele, all reportedly moved for +100M. It's likely that COVID and its effects on clubs' budgets might bring valuations down. Hopefully it does. If you want to "expect" only the absolute best for +100M that's up to you, just know that isn't necessarily reflected on the market/what's been happening for a while now.
This pandemic will have a long lasting impact on the whole market. Even when it’s over, the clubs will take several years to get their financial situation back to normal.
So, the crazy transfer fees won’t be “normal” at all for a few years at least.

TsuWave

This pandemic will have a long lasting impact on the whole market. Even when it’s over, the clubs will take several years to get their financial situation back to normal.
So, the crazy transfer fees won’t be “normal” at all for a few years at least.
I expect the same, I said as much in my post. But if I’m going to speak matter of factly about something I need to cite what has actually happened/been happening, and that is that +100M has not been valuations exclusive to “the absolute best”, it is all I’m saying.

Caesar2290

Just because Barca are retarded, doesn't mean that the rest of the footballing world is. There is a reason they are facing bankruptcy right now.
CR7 moved for 100 million to Juventus for comparison. And he is arguably top 5 of all time.

No way in hell is anyone paying remotely close to 100 mil for Sancho. Nor is he worth it in my book.

TsuWave

Just because Barca are retarded, doesn't mean that the rest of the footballing world is. There is a reason they are facing bankruptcy right now.
CR7 moved for 100 million to Juventus for comparison. And he is arguably top 5 of all time.

No way in hell is anyone paying remotely close to 100 mil for Sancho. Nor is he worth it in my book.
Is this like a reading comprehension deficiency thing
or something? Cause people are quoting me passionately, but the first sentence in the post you’ve quoted is “I was not responding to the thread title with my reply.”

:confused:

Ronaldo moved for 100M at 33 years old, that shows how much valuations have soared.

Keep your book Caesar2290. I’m not really here soliciting your couch valuations of Sancho. I responded to a statement that for “+100M you expect the absolute best”. Fight it as much as you like, but 100M has not been reserved nor exclusive to the absolute best for a while now. That can be traced and verified. It’s facts. COVID should bring these valuations down as clubs come to face the reality of their finances, but I was merely speaking on what has happened in terms of transfers in recent memory.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My reply to you referencing his drop in form wasn't an attempt at justifying a +100M fee. It was me simply saying that young players often have drops in form, in Sancho's case it's even more understandable considering he wanted out of Dortmund. Sancho has performed at an extremely high level for two years. His drop in form has been a couple of months and he's already back playing well for a minute now. Even attaching the "inconsistent" label to him is a stretch, but that's a different conversation

I don't know where you're getting that 50M valuation being about right. I don't think there have been any transfers or moves that this one could be compared to. All I know is that Sancho is arguably the best for his age group, not only that, for the positions he plays, regardless of age, in the world, and stats over the past couple of seasons corroborate this. Any club that could get him for 50M would be getting a bargain. Similarly, if I supported or worked for BVB I'd be feeling robbed if he was to move for 50M. Put it like this, if anyone offered 50M for Greenwood I'd find it offensive as a United supporter, and Sancho is > Greenwood.
He has been only excellent in BL, and was rather unproven elsewhere. There are lots of recent flops who are considered best talents in BL, but flopped big time in other top league too (ie Havertz, Werner, Dembele, Mkhitaryan, Kagawa etc) so I’d rather reserve my judgements on his stats in BL, that’s all.

Also, this thread is about whether Sancho is worth 100m or not, so I am just trying not to go too off topic. For your reference, Sane from City moved to Bayern for 50m last summer, I don’t think he is any less player than Sancho at all, at least he has easily outperformed Sancho this season, do you find the amount as offensive too?

Last edited:

theklr

If Liverpools decline continue I think he will see the writing on the wall about what team has the better future, if they by some chance offload Salah.

Also he has said multiple times he has alot of friends and is used to living in Manchester from his City time.

romufc

All this talk about Liverpool and Chelsea in for him but they have other problems before going for Sancho.

Chelsea have got Ziyech, Havertz, CHO, Pulisic all who can play in the attacking roles, a CB and CDM looks more of a priority.

Liverpool will have to sell one of the front 3 for £60/80m before they can buy Sancho, so they will be late to the party.

United have not addressed the RW position which was a problem last summer and the one before that, Sancho is the long term target. If they play their cards right, they should be able to get a pre deal done before the end of the season. We know personal terms is not an issue, the fee now will come down.

saivet

He has been only excellent in BL, and was rather unproven elsewhere. There are lots of recent flops who are considered best talents in BL, but flopped big time in other top league too (ie Havertz, Werner, Dembele, Mkhitaryan, Kagawa etc) so I’d rather reserve my judgements on his stats in BL, that’s all.

Also, this thread is about whether Sancho is worth 100m or not, so I am just trying not to go too off topic. For your reference, Sane from City moved to Bayern for 50m last summer, I don’t think he is any less player than Sancho at all, at least he has easily outperformed Sancho this season, do you find the amount as offensive too?
Has he? From what I've heard he's been underwhelming. Looking at their goal and assist stats it looks pretty similar, probably better for Sancho in fact.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Has he? From what I've heard he's been underwhelming. Looking at their goal and assist stats it looks pretty similar, probably better for Sancho in fact.
So at least you admitted they are comparable, 50m isn't too far off then?

mav_9me

If Dortmund don't make it to CL places, I wouldn't offer more than 60-70m in total for Sancho. Given their need to sell, Sancho's desire to leave and only 2yrs left on contract.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Sane is on the bench half of the time, and 5 years older than Sancho, coming off an ACL tear and had 1 year left on his contract. Sancho will have 2 years left on his contract, is performing better and his last 2 seasons were among the best in the world for u23 players. Hes a brilliant player, let's not down play it. Only 20 years old so will naturally have some down moments.

Also so much talk about Sancho having a down season. He started slow the first couple of months and then has been back to normal since mid December pretty much (and not that bad before either). Hes at 7 assists in the league now, Muller is leading the assist table with 9. His key passes per 90 are improving and shots per 90 are improving year on year like you'd expect. Still involved hugely in build up, assist numbers the same as always basically and the goal output will come back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.