Is Mainoo the real deal?

Is Kobbie Mainoo the real deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UDontMessWith24

I would really like to think he is but I haven't seen much besides a tidy enough midfielder so far. He's very young so who knows what he'll become. Besides his composure no qualities really jump out at me yet.
Composure isn't just a stand alone thing. He has composure because of his awareness and football iq, which allow him to understand where the ball needs to go before he receives it. He's also an excellent passer with very good vision. He does exactly what the position he plays requires him to do.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I would really like to think he is but I haven't seen much besides a tidy enough midfielder so far. He's very young so who knows what he'll become. Besides his composure no qualities really jump out at me yet.
Composure, touch, vision, technique and the consistency to execute all of these regularly and put it all together to be press resistant. Being a deep playmaker, the most important qualities are these. You don't need to be fast or strong, I don't want them to be box to box players. A quality midfielder like Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo are as good as they were because their base technique is so good and their mental attributes

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Having composure is a massive quality though... Being able to dictate play in a game at such a young age suggests you'll be a big talent in the future. The fact nothings jumping out at you is him making it look easy. There was a moment against Liverpool, he showed for the ball, took it on a half turn and played a through ball through Liverpools defence to garnacho like it was absolutely nothing. The fact that he's capable and competent enough to do something like that at his age in a game like that, is why people think he'll have a big future.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Some need to remember that a lot of us aren't just rating him off of his showings in the first team this season. A lot of us have rated his talent for years now. It's just his recent showings in the first team are adding to the promise we already have for him.

Borninthe80ts

Yes let him grow and then we can revisit this topic.

Utd fans are linking him with Madrid, and are moaning at me, for saying they're overrating him.

I hope he develops in to a great player and plays for England.
While managing expectations I still feel excited when I see him play.
I can understand your reservations but the fact is good teams will want quality players, potential and proven.

Nobody can predict where he will end up or at what level so why argue over one of the few positives this season I say.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Some need to remember that a lot of us aren't just rating him off of his showings in the first team this season. A lot of us have rated his talent for years now. It's just his recent showings in the first team are adding to the promise we already have for him.
This.

Was looking at old posts in the youth and youth cup threads… two years back and a lot of us singing his praises then. You can never be sure but he just looked “it”

dutchred

This.

Was looking at old posts in the youth and youth cup threads… two years back and a lot of us singing his praises then. You can never be sure but he just looked “it”
from the early days he looked exceptional. (that's why City has been trying to poach hime for so long). He will only get better. Would love to see him alongside Casemiro for a season or two and let Gore eventually replace Casemiro. My dream midfield (barring injuries) would be
Mainoo Gore
Diallo

Amad is wasted on the right wing. He is the ideal #10. In his last days at Sunderland he shiwed he could also track back to do defensive duties

Lj82

Even Keano sang his praises. Mentioned that at the Everton game he looked good but took too many touches outside the box, which he rectified in the Liverpool game

Balljy

Did he play deeper for the youth teams? He seems to drop deep naturally, and possibly more than Ten Hag wants him to at the moment to develop.

Redivy

He has been very good for an 18 year old playing in the premier league, and I find the criticism from some on here odd. People keep mentioning the physical side of his game, but he is literally 18, playing in the premier league, in the most physically demanding position, after a long injury layoff...

The main thing we need to do right now is protect him. Inevitably he will have ups and downs, and as a club, we should be putting him in positions to succeed.

United888

In addition to his composure, he is press resistant, he has the ability to carry the ball forward, good first touches, solid defensive attribute, level headed like an experienced player that he had yellow card early vs Liverpool and still managed to contribute defensively without conceded penalty, and his passing to Garnacho chance vs Liverpool also shows he has it in his locker.

lex talionis

The Real Deal. What I worry, however, is that if he remains at United he will never reach his full potential. What the current club management values above all in its players is marketability, not performance. No one should be shocked -- outraged of course, but not shocked -- if United get rid of Mainoo in 2-3 seasons.

Bobski

He has shown flashes of having all the technical ability you would want in a modern midfielder, but lets not go crazy with the hype, I think only Fabregas has been able to consistently perform in midfield at that age in PL history, it is not normal, he probably needs a few years of development.

Hope he is Fabregas Mk2 of course but we shouldn't expect it.

GS82

Supports
Arsenal
Like a i said Utd fans have overhyped him. Totally lacks physical qualities.

Safe passing isn't hard.

Am sorry what is so special about him?

Waiting for the he's only 18 replies!

bosskeano

Safe passing isn't hard.

he's better than Havertz

GS82

Supports
Arsenal
First Hojlund, now Mainoo… constant trolling won’t go down well.

I've obviously been proven correct on Hojlund.

Just because I dont adhere to the narrative it doesn't make me a troll.

Infact I'd say anyone who say Manioo doesn't lack physical qualities is a troll.

I've seen various great Utd midfielders and I can assure you Mainoo is nowhere near one.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Infact I'd say anyone who say Manioo doesn't lack physical qualities is a troll.

I've seen various great Utd midfielders and I can assure you Mainoo is nowhere near one.
"I'm not a troll" then posts "Needs to bulk" in same sentence...

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)

You aren't going to last long on here with your posting style.

Take it on board or carry on, your choice.

Don't bother yourself replying, not interested.

Amira

I still like what I see with the kid. It’ll be a pity if he is dropped.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Ok, I take it back. Carry on … you’ll be thread banned then banned quicker.

And I don’t need anyone (least of all an Arsenal fan) telling me about Uniteds midfielders. I’ve spent decades watching them at OT, across the UK and Europe. Mainoo is a very good prospect, one of the best I’ve seen in years, but no one is comparing him to greats….that’s just you being condescending.

Again, crack on… speeds your exit.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He is about the same height as Odegaard, Thiago, Wijnaldum, and lots of other successful PL central midfielders.

IMO, he won't be a standout physical player in midfield battles but he has the most important athletic qualities for success - quickness over short distances, balance, and fast feet.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
"Doesn't do much" - RedCafe match matchday thread.

glasgow 21

For 18 and so far, Yes, he is def the real deal. There is fight in this lad.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've yet to vote on this. I think he's tidy and fairly composed for the most part, but I'm just waiting to see what sets him apart. Can he run a midfield? Is he going to dominate that area? Is he defensively solid? Can he control the tempo of the game? These are the answers I need before I'll know he's the real deal. It's still early days yet obviously, but they're still the things he'll need to prove (not all of them) if he's going to be a top level midfielder in a team that competes again in a few years.

criticalanalysis

Plays it incredibly safe, almost to the point of being passive but for a 18 year old kid in this midfield set up and in his 5th/6th senior game, I don't mind that. I just hope he can grow more physically, gets more games under his belt and with experience start to show a bit more impetus.

Not a criticism at all, just an observation for the near-mid term for now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Safe passing isn't hard.

Are your other 9 posts like this? :lol: