Is Mainoo the real deal?

Is Kobbie Mainoo the real deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
He is the real deal but he is also playing in a team of mostly unmotivated players with poor work ethic. So his effort and composure will stand out significantly.

For the sake of his career, he’d be better off elsewhere unless our club structure improves and we get better players in and deadwood out.

As a fan I obviously want him to spend his entire career with us.

the_cliff

can't be that far off an England call-up if he keeps his place
He'll be in the Euro squad. Said it after his first app. He just needs to stay fit. England really don't have a midfielder in his mould.

Andre Kagawa

He's mint. Question is, what midfielder(s) should he optimally be paired with?

Marwood

A complete natural. Stay away from injury. Get that man strength. He's golden.

RedRJ

I never heard his name mentioned but thought he was the outstanding player on the pitch (by some distance).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Tbh...Wilshere. And neither of them is a patch on Fabregas at the same age. And both Wilshere and Fabregas never got to be world class for me. Could argue Pedri might be on that same path too.
Fabregas never had a world class season, but he was world class across his career. One of those players that was of the wrong era. For me, he’s up there with Silva and KdB in ability, but existed in this weird period in time where what he had, wasn’t what teams wanted, at the time he played there.

He was too dynamic for Spain and that ridiculous midfield, and not quite dynamic enough (or at the right club) for the PL and how games were played at that time. He came to Chelsea for MK2 Mourinho and after a great season and a title, it all went a bit odd. Great under Conte, but he was a different player then.

He’d be perfect for Pep right now, and would be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Edit : A little off topic. But yes, I agree. Marino is MILES off Fabregas at the same age. Nowhere near.

GazTheLegend

He's mint. Question is, what midfielder(s) should he optimally be paired with?
Xavi and Busquets would be a start, but unfortunately we've got Bruno and McTominay.
In all seriousness, and in as much as people will probably attack me for saying as much but Bill Gilmour and Pascal Groß from Brighton would be good alongside him, and bring our midfield up a level. Maybe not to the level we need to go to to win things but it would be a start.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
What now?
Yeah maybe a bit OTT. I guess I mean he was never the best of all of him all at once. I can’t point at any single season and see him at a club, under a manager that saw him utilised and see him utilise all of his ability.

He was great at Arsenal, Barca, and Chelsea, but different best versions of himself at all three clubs. Two different versions at Chelsea. That speaks to his ability.

I guess my bar is high. He never had a Yaya, Suarez, Henry, Hazard, Ronaldo season. But also didn’t hit the single season brilliance of Giggs, Keane, Lampard, Gerrard.

I think Ozil’s best season was as impressive as Cesc’s, as a lazy example.

Maybe I’m (understandably) biased.

red_devil29

Wow. He gives me Greenwood vibes when i saw him on the first team. Protect him - and with a proper of playing time, he will be something speciel.

Levels better than Hannibal and many others we thought would be something speciel (Chong, gomes, Elanga)

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I can't recall being this excited by an academy player. And that is despite being burned a thousand times before!

TysonFury

What a player. Astounded he didn’t get MOTM tonight

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Xavi and Busquets would be a start, but unfortunately we've got Bruno and McTominay.
In all seriousness, and in as much as people will probably attack me for saying as much but Bill Gilmour and Pascal Groß from Brighton would be good alongside him, and bring our midfield up a level. Maybe not to the level we need to go to to win things but it would be a start.
After seeing teams snap up Bissouma, McAllister and Cacaido, the one guy who remains as an original and I've always thought as of extremely underrated is GroB. No idea why nobody ever went for him...

Sir Erik ten Hag

After seeing teams snap up Bissouma, McAllister and Cacaido, the one guy who remains as an original and I've always thought as of extremely underrated is GroB. No idea why nobody ever went for him...
People afraid it will be another Schneiderlin case.

JediSith

He'll be in the Euro squad. Said it after his first app. He just needs to stay fit. England really don't have a midfielder in his mould.
Add him to Rice and Bellingham and he’s exactly the cdm that’s currently missing from the England squad. And what a midfield 3 they’d make.

But you know Southgate will force a way to keep playing Henderson.

I understand the “don’t get carried away “ and “let’s see how he progresses” crowd. 99% of times I’d agree. But there are some young players who at a very young age after a few matches you know.. you just know they have that something.

For Mainoo. It’s simply the fact that in one of the most difficult and disciplined positions he looks like he’s been playing there for several seasons. So if he was a 24 year old you’d say he was very good.

Then you consider his age and variety of attributes that he demonstrates. Passing, tacking, anticipation, composure, skill etc. It all add up to a player who can become amongst the best in his position in years to come.

Last edited:

JediSith

We're playing Wigan FFS, let's not overegg it. He is performing very well though so far, enjoyable to see him impose himself more.
Don’t think this post was posted based solely on his performance vs Wigan. Although it’s in games like this that you see who still performs.

LDUred

Fabregas never had a world class season, but he was world class across his career.
Not sure about that. He picked up 11 MOTM awards in 2009/2010 and scored 15 goals, producing 15 assists in the PL alone.

That was a period where, IIRC, he was being deployed further forward, but he was still consistently brilliant and carrying Arsenal most of the time.

foolsgold

I really hope not, I'd rather he has a good break over the summer and comes back to United fresh.

GazTheLegend

That's easy money imo. Only thing stopping it would be an injury.

Mainoo-Rice-Bellingham is Englands best midfield.
The main thing stopping this happening is Gareth Southgate. Southgate won't take any risks on new players going into a tournament. I can see Mainoo getting a look in the September internationals but until the tournament proper, you're going to see all the same faces right up until it starts. Which is fair enough, it has worked for Gareth to an extent so far.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I had that thought when I saw that live. The biggest thing that stood out there was the difference in effort both players put in to win the ball the moment McTominay hit the ball against Mainoo. It's unforgivable how the lesser talented player out of the two is also the one not working as hard.

Red Rash

Definitely one of the most exciting academy players in recent memory. Has a level of composure way above almost any other player in our team.

I don't want to go too over the top as we've been burnt before but has a huge opportunity to become and England and United regular for years to come if he can keep it up.

We need more players like him and Garnacho in the team for sure.

The-Mezzala

Definitely one of the most exciting academy players in recent memory. Has a level of composure way above almost any other player in our team.

I don't want to go too over the top as we've been burnt before but has a huge opportunity to become and England and United regular for years to come if he can keep it up.

We need more players like him and Garnacho in the team for sure.
His composure and positional discipline is outstanding for his age. We haven’t had a midfielder of this profile since probably Carrick. I hope he continues to develop.

Yagami

Good post resistant
A poll on if he should go to the Euros would be interesting. Especially seeing opposition fans opinions. I just don't see a better partner for Rice and Bellingham right now.

AnotherLondonManc

A poll on if he should go to the Euros would be interesting. Especially seeing opposition fans opinions. I just don't see a better partner for Rice and Bellingham right now.
The caf would surely be overwhelmingly in favour of Mainoo going to the Euros. He's our new darling.

But generally, I think most would be against it. Mainoo is not a highlight reel player, and while he definitely passes the eye test, his stats on fbref are surprisingly poor.

Unless you're watching United week in, week out, you probably wouldn't rate him as highly as we all do.

For me, he's a must take for the Euros if he keeps this up

mctrials23

He is the real deal but he is also playing in a team of mostly unmotivated players with poor work ethic. So his effort and composure will stand out significantly.
Yes and no. You might stand out for that reason but its also the reason so many players struggle at United and you really have to be individually exceptional to stand out. Garnacho is a good example. He went through a phase of struggling partly because teams knew that he was our main threat so they doubled up on him or really focussed on him.

Players have a much easier time at teams like City or Liverpool because they are part of a well oiled machine. You aren't dealing with sloppy passes, teammates out of position all the time, lazy tracking back and people not making runs for you.