Is Martial closer to a traditional no.10 than a no.9?

Scholsey2004

If we don't sign a striker and a cam/ss in January then we'll continue to struggle. At present we've only really got one striker and he's really inconsistent. And without a proper 10 we'll continue to struggle to break teams down.

Judas

Open to offers
He's a 9. It's just that our movement in general is so poor, that's the only space he can get into to get involved.
What about his movement? It’s dreadful, he doesn’t get himself in the right positions the majority of the time. The whole attack is guilty of it, but he’s by far the worst.
Once we replace him I think people will realise just how over the top the protection he’s received on here has been at times. So many excuses have been made for him.

Bwuk

He's a second striker - he's not a #9 in the sense of a Halaand type of player who will poach out goals.

More of a Berbatov than a Halaand.

Gavinb33

He's Cantonaesque in that he glides past players and is constantly looking for players to link up with through the middle of the park.

He's not a no.10 in the guise of Rooney or Totti, but more like a withdrawn 9.
A withdrawn 9 is Firmino and he is no Firmino I have almost lost it with Martial this year his lack of movement in the box is bordering on the scandalous for a United striker

youmeletsfly

He needs a full season where he actually has decent competition for the starting spot. If he fails to cement his place after that season, he should be either a backup option(not a very cheap one) or he should be moved on.
He really isn't that special, even when being on form.

For the moment though, let's see what happens when Paul is back in the team, he should influence Martial's game.

redshaw

He's a quite good attacking player, one of our better ones in the post Fergie era and can do a relatively good job in all three positions.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Let’s hope Haaland coming in will ignite fire inside of Martial.
I was going to reply to this but ...

If we land Erling, then Martial is finished at Utd. He'll be no more than a squad player. A decent squad player to have but with endless question marks about his attitude, I think the management will be thinking he does not fit the dressing room culture they are trying to implement.
Someone posted my exact thoughts and saved me the effort! This 100%. I doubt very, very much Ole is a huge fan of Martial and if Haaland does come I suspect it will be as a replacement for AM, not to play alongside him. That will be Rashford and DJ's job.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No. He is a number 9, just not a very good one.
Yeah that's about the sum of it.
Not a particularly good LW, not a particularly good #9, and not a particularly good #10 either....has skills, but nowhere near enough end product.

Nikelesh Reddy

Watching Tony and what is obvious is that he enjoys dropping deeper and moving the ball forward and bouncing it off players around him. He's almost Cantona esque in that regard.

It seems to me that he's a player that would benefit alot more from having a striker in front of him that will work with him in movement into good areas ala Hughes or Cole.
Not very sure to be honest.He doesn’t seem to have the dynamism and the energy to constantly keep putting pressure on the opposition.He seems to be good in brief spurts,which isn’t good enough for a club like United...LVG actually felt that Martial was much better on the left than through the middle,because he’s “a player who consistently needs to be involved in the game”.LVG felt that as a LW,he would constantly keep getting the ball,which would help him to stay involved throughout the game...Whenever he goes through spells where he doesn’t get the ball,he seems to completely lose his rhythm and touch....I”m not sure what his best position is...

Bestietom

It's hard to make out Martial because of his inconsistency. When he is up for it he can be great, but he will never get you 30 goals a season. Maybe he would play better with a big striker alongside him, but I can't see us changing to a 4-4-2.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Watching Tony and what is obvious is that he enjoys dropping deeper and moving the ball forward and bouncing it off players around him. He's almost Cantona esque in that regard.

It seems to me that he's a player that would benefit alot more from having a striker in front of him that will work with him in movement into good areas ala Hughes or Cole.
:lol:

Andersons Dietician

I’m recent years the best Martial I’ve seen was the rare occasion he was partnered up to with Lukaku in a 2. For a brief spell of 10 minutes we played with those two up front and Miki in behind them and it was great.

Personally I wouldn’t say he is best suited to play by himself up top and expecting him to do the buisness. For me you either have a partner for him or he plays like a false 9 with two wide forwards. Rashford and Greenwood.

He’s got the best hold up and is the most creative out of the lot. Don’t get these people that say he isn’t creative, he creates lots of oppertunites for something to happen in a game. The problem is he has to pass to Lingard, Rashford or James who then screw it up.

He could play like a traditional 10 would, but not the modern perception of a 10. He’d never have the workrate and I’ve not really seen him ever attempt any mid to long range passing.

RedIan

Not sure about his best position but he needs a rocket up his arse most games. So frustrating, all that talent and no fire in his belly. what a waste He is making of his ability.

Pennywise

Both positions require the player to move. His refusal to move makes him ineffective in any position. I actually think he's a brilliant player when he wants to be but that's the problem he picks and chooses when he can be bothered

OldTrevil

Martial has actually proved the opposite by being one of the best performers during our worst period with the 'special' one, after he had tried everything he could to diminish him. It's hard to find a tougher situation for a player to perform under.

Edit: to stay on thread topic, his best position is a ball-playing nine and he has confirmed it himself that he a center forward but enjoys playing anywhere in attack, which is a great attitude to have and not something to strangely beat him with.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not sure about his best position but he needs a rocket up his arse most games. So frustrating, all that talent and no fire in his belly. what a waste He is making of his ability.
There's no fire because there's no competition

Dr Foo

His skill on the ball to create space, hold up and bring others into play are good. It's his off the ball movement and desire to get into space that needs to be improved as a 9. At the moment he brings a lot of value as a withdrawn striker/false nine, but when crosses come in from James he needs to react more. Alternatively, as some have pointed out, we play Greenwood (or another new striker/wide forward) instead and have Martial try to be Firmino. He is the best we got in the striker position at the moment

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s a 9 but he lacks of desire to get into the box after drop deeper to get the ball & bring others into play.

He does have the ability to play that no 10 role because he can hold the ball very well, can bring others into play and link up play very well, he has quality as good as Reus on the ball. However, the issue is his off ball movement if he plays that no 10, he might not even show up in the box since he’s lazy to make a lot of runs. Ole needs to have a word to him about it.

pacifictheme

Hes a squad player in a really good team. He is definitely not a 10. I'd have him as a back up number 9 if he wants it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's not closer to a traditional No 10, no.

Probably closer to a traditional second striker type than a traditional line leader, though.

wolvored

No. He is a number 9, just not a very good one. He has regressed since his first season with United I think.
I agree. You can see why Mourinho wanted to sell him. Hes 24 and worse than he was at 20/21

wolvored

Cantona esque surely this is a joke :lol:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
One of the least creative players we got, maybe only beaten by Jones :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
It's his 5th season at United next year and we still don't know what his best position is. Martial should have forced this issue by now, it should be absolutely clear what his skillset is. Unfortunately the biggest issue is the complete lack of consistency he displays.

We should cash in on him if a better option presents itself before he becomes an undeveloped player worth a fraction of what we paid for him.

Siorac

He can't pass, his short passing is abysmal. Movement just isn't there at times but his dribbling is great and finishing is good.

Martial just isn't the player everyone thought he was at 19, people need to accept that.
Yes, unfortunately. Even I'm starting to come around to this. His best season at United, by far, was his first one. Since then he hasn't really improved. Mourinho is partly to blame but the player himself has to shoulder responsibility as well.

andycolegangstainnit

He can play at 9 or 11. short-passing not good enough for 10. He's got great close control and was the best finisher at the club (now been over-taken by Rashford and Greenwood). Too inconsistent to be part of a title-threatening first team. He needs to be fearful of his place. Greenwood and hopefully Haaland will push him down the pecking order. Get Niguez, offload Matic and Mata and Martial can warm the bench along with Lingaard and Pereira.

EireRed_GS

Nope.
He's great at running with the ball and creating chances for himself. But his overall game at picking a killer pass, getting himself into dangerous areas and general quick play isnt good enough. Martial tends to get the ball and pause alot, then decide to go on a run.

He's a decent forward, not a playmaker. Even at that, he's not prolifiic enough and needs to work harder to get in to danger areas and give himself more opportunities.

Denis' cuff

A withdrawn 9 is Firmino and he is no Firmino I have almost lost it with Martial this year his lack of movement in the box is bordering on the scandalous for a United striker
Yep - any more withdrawn and he’d still be in fecking bed

OL29

When there was he sulked and apparently asked to leave because Mourinho preferred Rashford and Zlatan.
That's bullshit, he asked to leave after we bought Sanchez and he was shifted to the right wing after winning his spot back from Rashford. Stop lying about our players, as if people don't have valid reason to criticise them.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Martial will never be good as Firmino but I'm cool with that because false 9's are useful players tactically if used right and Martial is one of better ones in the PL.
Not even firmino was as good current firmino when he was martials age.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Reminds me of Rooney arguments in here: "Is he striker? Can he play as midfieler? Maybe if we put him on wing?"
Right..
And how far is Martial FC ready to go to defend and praise their boy?
Cantona esque???
Ffs...