Is Mbappe the best french player ever?

Oranges038

You certainly have a point, everything gets optimized and since crossing has never been a good way to score goals it has pretty much died out in the modern Gegenpressing world of football.

That being said I wouldn't underestimate the technical ability necessary to play at the tempo which teams tend to play at these days. The technical ability shifts simply to other areas.
Crossing is still prevalent and teams do score quite a lot of goals from it.

Liverpool pretty much spend entire games spamming crosses into the box, it's why Robertson and TAA get so many assists. Man City cross the ball a lot, it's just not whipped in from way out wide.

In the CL semi final last season Real beat Man City by scoring from crosses into the box.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The only reason I’m not saying so yet is because of a player called Adriano.

Castia

There's zero fecks given outside of any team winning the CL, my man. I couldn't care less when Madrid, Chelsea, or anybody else wins the CL, so if we ever do, I don't care about your feelings on it. The kid is from Paris, and he's trying to put it on the map by winning a CL. I don't care whether you respect it or not, but I do and I see the romance in it. It really doesn't matter whether you do or not, it wouldn't be for you.
Lets agree to disagree because we're a mile apart on this opinion. Hometown kid winning it for little old Paris? please. Maybe if you hadn't have spent billions on wages and transfer fee's and have a front 3 that dwarf your nearest rivals wage budget alone id see the story being told.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

You don't score as much as he has, in all those big moments with being pace your main asset. I think he will be fine
He's still right
I can see him being a top 15-20 player in the world if he reinvents himself after losing his pace
But he's not going to be the player he is right now.

He doesn't have Messi's otherwordly technical ability nor the height needed to turn into an all around goal machine like post 2015 Ronaldo

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's still right
I can see him being a top 15-20 player in the world if he reinvents himself after losing his pace
But he's not going to be the player he is right now.

He doesn't have Messi's otherwordly technical ability nor the height needed to turn into an all around goal machine like post 2015 Ronaldo
Of coursew I agree with that. He is still relatively young and has already improved a lot in terms of playmaking and creativity in the past 2 years.
All I was saying is that he is more than pace at the moment

NoLogo

Meanwhile in the Premier League…

So players can still cross? What's your point, remains a low scoring chance opportunity. Maybe it's also due to not having too many good headers in the league anymore. It's the same with corners btw, chances to score from corners are very low, teams still hammer them in instead of keeping the ball, because sometimes it's enough in football to simply score that 1 in X corner goals to win.

NoLogo

Crossing is still prevalent and teams do score quite a lot of goals from it.

Liverpool pretty much spend entire games spamming crosses into the box, it's why Robertson and TAA get so many assists. Man City cross the ball a lot, it's just not whipped in from way out wide.

In the CL semi final last season Real beat Man City by scoring from crosses into the box.
Doesn't change the fact that it's not a quality way of producing chances.

"Crossing in soccer plays a significant role in scoring, about 23% of all goals scored in the recent seasons of the English Premier League are the result of crosses. Set play crosses (after free kicks or corners) represent about 8% of all goals and open play crosses represent about 15% of all goals. However, crossing from an open play is hugely inefficient, only 1 open cross in 4.87 is an accurate cross and only 1 open cross out of 91.47 leads to a goal on average. Statistical evidence indeed confirms that games with smaller number of open crosses tend to lead to more goals." (Sauce)

However, it sometimes remains the only way to produce a chance if teams close out the center, preventing play through the middle, that is why teams cross and yes still score occasionally.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
After this WC I have changed my mind. I think he could be the best ever.

Oranges038

Doesn't change the fact that it's not a quality way of producing chances.

"Crossing in soccer plays a significant role in scoring, about 23% of all goals scored in the recent seasons of the English Premier League are the result of crosses. Set play crosses (after free kicks or corners) represent about 8% of all goals and open play crosses represent about 15% of all goals. However, crossing from an open play is hugely inefficient, only 1 open cross in 4.87 is an accurate cross and only 1 open cross out of 91.47 leads to a goal on average. Statistical evidence indeed confirms that games with smaller number of open crosses tend to lead to more goals." (Sauce)

However, it sometimes remains the only way to produce a chance if teams close out the center, preventing play through the middle, that is why teams cross and yes still score occasionally.
I'm not advocating for Utd vs Fulham levels here. But if it plays a part in almost 1 in 4 goals it's still quite an effective tactic when needed. If the ball is delivered into the right area with enough quality, it's really all about working the space to get that delivery into the right area, which is something Liverpool are very good at.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's top 3 all time in my opinion but not the best. Still Zidane for me, closely followed by Henry. But Mbappe is coming quickly.
You cannot have Henry above Platini in an all time ranking. Just no. Say top 3 of players you've seen, that's ok. All time includes Platini and he was objectively a different order of magnitude to Henry

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
You don't score as much as he has, in all those big moments with being pace your main asset. I think he will be fine
Rio made a great point basically saying that none of his goals this WC has relied on pace. This idea that he's a pace merchant is wide of the mark. He does have blistering pace, but that's one of his assets.

Dannn411

You cannot have Henry above Platini in an all time ranking. Just no. Say top 3 of players you've seen, that's ok. All time includes Platini and he was objectively a different order of magnitude to Henry
I do not agree that Platini was objectively a different order to Henry. Henry is legitimately one of the greatest forwards to ever play. He just never got the worldwide recognition he deserved because of the club he played for and the league he played in. For all of Henry's prime, Italy and Spain were the top leagues hogging all the attention. If Henry had moved to Italy or Spain in his prime, he'd have at least 3 Ballon d'ors (2003, 2004 and 2006). One of the most deadly forwards to ever play AND still holds the record for most assists in a PL season by the way. Also has the WC, the CL, the Euros as well as league titles in 3 different countries. Few forwards have been more complete than he was.

The order of the next 3 can be debated but only Zidane was clearly better in a blue shirt for me than Henry.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So players can still cross? What's your point, remains a low scoring chance opportunity. Maybe it's also due to not having too many good headers in the league anymore. It's the same with corners btw, chances to score from corners are very low, teams still hammer them in instead of keeping the ball, because sometimes it's enough in football to simply score that 1 in X corner goals to win.
My point is that the best teams in the league that both use gegenpress (in different ways) that you’ve mentioned and set up tactical trends cross more than any other team in the league. Crossing did change (for example, you can notice that Pep’s team often use it without even having a proper target man in the box — those are pre-Haaland numbers) but to say that it disappeared is laughable when it’s actually one of the most used attacking instruments by the trend-setting managers.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The order of the next 3 can be debated but only Zidane was clearly better in a blue shirt for me than Henry.
Henry wasn't particularly good for France, there is no scenario where he is the second best performer for France. His career for the national team has been largely as a support player. During his own era, he wasn't better than Zidane, Thuram, Desailly, Djorkaeff, Vieira or even Ribéry, he wasn't a better goalscorer than Trézéguet. And none of these players are remotely close to Platini who has arguably produced the most dominant tournament of all time, not just french players, in 1984. He was for France a better goalscorer and playmaker than anyone has been since.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

If we're talking NT only I wouldnt even have Henry above Griezmann and thats saying something because as far as overall careers are concerned I wouldnt put Griezmann anywhere near Henry

abundance

Supports
Inter
Henry wasn't particularly good for France, there is no scenario where he is the second best performer for France. His career for the national team has been largely as a support player. During his own era, he wasn't better than Zidane, Thuram, Desailly, Djorkaeff, Vieira or even Ribéry, he wasn't a better goalscorer than Trézéguet. And none of these players are remotely close to Platini who has arguably produced the most dominant tournament of all time, not just french players, in 1984. He was for France a better goalscorer and playmaker than anyone has been since.
This.

Mbappe's on the route to be something else too anyway.

Abizzz

The one thing that needs to be mentioned about Henry for anyone that didn't get to watch him much is that he was a joy to see. On his day he could make the sport into poetry with the ball at his feet, and there's few who can do that (Berbatov being another). For spectators who watch to be entertained that can be an immensely valuable ability.

But in everything else he wasn't close to Mbappe. Platini I can't judge.

Dannn411

I hate that i'm having to cape for a player that I hated so much when I was a kid but Henry is being disrespected here. He was France's top scorer in 98, Euro 2000 and in 2006. Second all time in WC goals and international goals.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He has very tough competition in Zidane, Platini, and Thierry Henry but Mbapper is still only 23!!!!

But... He definitely needs to move from PSG and French League to a top EPL team or Barca or Real Madrid (most likely) if he wants to achieve his maximum while he still can

JPRouve

Scout
I hate that i'm having to cape for a player that I hated so much when I was a kid but Henry is being disrespected here. He was France's top scorer in 98, Euro 2000 and in 2006. Second all time in WC goals and international goals.
And he wasn't the best performer in any of these competitions. He was also nowhere to be found in 2002, 2004 and 2008. He was nowhere to be found until Zidane, Makélélé and Thuram came back between 2004-2006. This isn't disrespect but reality, Henry was a great player but it doesn't mean that you have to not only overrate him but also underrate Platini who is an all time great and widely seen as the best french player ever with only Zidane being in a conversation with Platini.

Tommy79

Henry wasn't particularly good for France, there is no scenario where he is the second best performer for France. His career for the national team has been largely as a support player.
I would totally agree with that, as remember the old lady had no problem in getting rid of the then world cup winner just a season after 98. As even without Mbappe, I didnt even have henry (feck all to do with the handball) in my top 3 forwards for France that I saw play for them, as that list read, Platini, Papin and Trezeguet.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You could just say you have no idea about Platini, and that you grew up with Henry being the centrepiece of the footballing world you are most familiar with.

dinostar77

Platini at his peak was only 2nd to Diego Maradonna at his peak, in world football. Says it all really.

NoLogo

I'm not advocating for Utd vs Fulham levels here. But if it plays a part in almost 1 in 4 goals it's still quite an effective tactic when needed. If the ball is delivered into the right area with enough quality, it's really all about working the space to get that delivery into the right area, which is something Liverpool are very good at.
My point is that the best teams in the league that both use gegenpress (in different ways) that you’ve mentioned and set up tactical trends cross more than any other team in the league. Crossing did change (for example, you can notice that Pep’s team often use it without even having a proper target man in the box — those are pre-Haaland numbers) but to say that it disappeared is laughable when it’s actually one of the most used attacking instruments by the trend-setting managers.
I'm not saying it disappeared, it simply isn't a major focus in training for many teams anymore, the teams that still do cross usually do it because teams congest the central areas against them.

The mentioned crossing of Guariola's team also came largely in terms of cut backs, something that require much more good passing than a traditional crossing technique like Beckham did it.

Of course I don't sit take part in the trainings sessions so I might be absolutely wrong about this not being trained that much anymore. It was more the attempt of an explanation of why there are no players like Beckham around anymore, players who can cross with a high level of precision. The other reason I offered is that the striker profile for at least some time have changed a bit, there are very few strikers around who are excellent in the air these days, even the tall lads like Haaland aren't really that great at it anymore.

All that being said, I think Beckham was already an outlier for his time, not the norm. I can remember very few players who were as good at crossing as he was, so maybe the entire point is even moot to argue.

Last edited:

Oranges038

I'm not saying it disappeared, it simply isn't a major focus in training for many teams anymore, the teams that still do cross usually do it because teams congest the central areas against them.

The mentioned crossing of Guariola's team also came largely in terms of cut backs, something that require much more good passing than a traditional crossing technique like Beckham did it.

Of course I don't sit take part in the trainings sessions so I might be absolutely wrong about this not being trained that much anymore. It was more the attempt of an explanation of why there are no players like Beckham around anymore, players who can cross with a high level of precision. The other reason I offered is that the striker profile for at least some time have changed a bit, there are very few strikers around who are excellent in the air these days, even the tall lads like Haaland aren't really that great at it anymore.

All that being said, I think Beckham was already an outlier for his time, not the norm. I can remember very few players who were as good at crossing as he was, so maybe the entire point is even moot to argue.
I agree, aside from that spamming merchant TAA, wingers/full backs don't just sling balls into the box at every opportunity.

Cut backs are technically crosses though. From what I've read through balls + cut backs is statistically the leading way to create goals. This is why Pep's City score so many goals, they just keep working to create the gaps for these opportunities over and over. Probably why they just seem to score the same goal about goal 700 times a season.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You’ve literally said that crossing had died out in modern football while the main trendsetters of modern football cross more than any other teams in the league (and the likes of De Bruyne, Trent & Robertson are widely praised for their crossing).

It’s simply not true. Football is always about adapting — Pep’s Barça didn’t cross much but he has moved away from that football long time ago and crossing is actually a key feature in many of top team’s game plans now. Crossing is actually something that’s made a huge comeback lately — in a much refined way than previously (there’s no mindless hoofing as the main game plan), but it’s still crossing.

It was more the attempt of an explanation of why there are no players like Beckham around anymore, players who can cross with a high level of precision.
Both De Bruyne & Trent are insanely good at crosses — as close to Beckham, the GOAT of that particular skill, as you can be.

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Trophy wise the 1998-2002 generation headed by Zidane and Henry are still better but he has plenty of time to make up for it. His WC resume is already among the best out there. Biggest candidate to beat Klose's all-time World Cup scoring achievement.

Likely to become the highest goal scorer of France too. However you never know when it comes to World Cup's. The likeliness of France NOT winning the next 2 World Cups is probably greater than them winning 1 of them. I don't think that we will see Mbappé during the 2034 World Cup.

The caveat here is FIFA changing the frequency of World Cup's. There has been talk of a World Cup every 2 years after all. That would IMO devaluate the tournament considerably.

Anyway how is Kopa rated by the French among the likes of Platini, Zidane and Henry? Would it be fair to say that Mbappé already belongs among those 4 in the top 5 of all time if one should attempt to make such a list of the best French footballers?

Last edited:

Zetrio2002

Mbappe still does not dictate the flow of the game much. If I am not wrong, a commentator said that Mbappe had the fewest touches out of all players in the first 40 min of the game last night.

NoLogo

You’ve literally said that crossing had died out in modern football while the main trendsetters of modern football cross more than any other teams in the league (and the likes of De Bruyne, Trent & Robertson are widely praised for their crossing).

It’s simply not true. Football is always about adapting — Pep’s Barça didn’t cross much but he has moved away from that football long time ago and crossing is actually a key feature in many of top team’s game plans now. Crossing is actually something that’s made a huge comeback lately — in a much refined way than previously (there’s no mindless hoofing as the main game plan), but it’s still crossing.

Both De Bruyne & Trent are insanely good at crosses — as close to Beckham, the GOAT of that particular skill, as you can be.
You are right, it didn't die out, completely wrong choice of words on my end. I'd still argue that crossing changed, like I said before it's more flat cut backs, to players arriving a bit later in the box, then long balls into the box trying to find a target man. That being said you are of course right that de Bruyne and Trent are still absolutely excellent at floating long crosses, usually to the wide post.

I also totally agree that teams need to adept, like I also mentioned, if everyone completely closes down the center, through balls are really hard to pull off and the space on in the wide areas has to be used again.

It also remains true though that it's not an efficient way to play football, so the big teams attempting loads of crosses is imo the result of two things, they still have players who are good at crossing and are forced to do it because the opposition doesn't allow them to play through the center.

And since I don't know what I'm even arguing at this stage anymore, and it might very well be a moot point I'm trying to make here, I think I'll just leave the discussion at this stage. On top of that I think we are derailing the thread a bit. :nervous:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
You are right, it didn't die out, completely wrong choice of words on my end. I'd still argue that crossing changed, like I said before it's more flat cut backs, to players arriving a bit later in the box, then long balls into the box trying to find a target man. That being said you are of course right that de Bruyne and Trent are still absolutely excellent at floating long crosses, usually to the wide post.

I also totally agree that teams need to adept, like I also mentioned, if everyone completely closes down the center, through balls are really hard to pull off and the space on in the wide areas has to be used again.

It also remains true though that it's not an efficient way to play football, so the big teams attempting loads of crosses is imo the result of two things, they still have players who are good at crossing and are forced to do it because the opposition doesn't allow them to play through the center.

And since I don't know what I'm even arguing at this stage anymore, and it might very well be a moot point I'm trying to make here, I think I'll just leave the discussion at this stage. On top of that I think we are derailing the thread a bit. :nervous:
That is a true statement, tbh. But if some teams probably close and shut down the middle area of the pitch or don't allow any space to do through the ball, the most effective way to counter it is probably crossing. A high cross isn't the only way of crossing. There are several types of crossing like low-drilled crosses, chipped crosses, early crosses, and a lot. It is still one of the most effective ways to score to goals( especially when you have someone like Trent or KDB).

Dannn411

You could just say you have no idea about Platini, and that you grew up with Henry being the centrepiece of the footballing world you are most familiar with.
Why would I say what isn't true? There's more than enough video evidence of Michel Platini for me or anyone to make an informed decision. I don't have to be born in 1950 to know that Pele is a footballing legend but Messi is clearly better.

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
Trophy wise the 1998-2002 generation headed by Zidane and Henry are still better but he has plenty of time to make up for it. His WC resume is already among the best out there. Biggest candidate to beat Klose's all-time World Cup scoring achievement.
it wasn’t a Zidane and Henry generation. it was Zidane generation

In 1998, Thierry Henry wasn’t a starter in quarter and semi final (he entered very early in the semi though). And didn’t play at all the final
He had 0 goal and 0 assist in 1998 knockout stage

He had 1 goal and 0 assist in euro 2000 knockout stage

Thierry Henry was a great player but PL fans are seriously overrating his achievements for national team (and UCL)

Dannn411

He was also nowhere to be found in 2002, 2004 and 2008.
Neither was the guys you claim are better. Zidane and Desailly were there in 02 and 04. Trezeguet and Makelele and Thuram were there in 02 and 04 and 08. He has scored more goals in every major tournament than David Trezeguet. Good or bad. So for you to claim he wasn't a better goal scorer than Trezeguet is beyond laughable. Trezeguet is only remembered fondly because he scored the extra time winner in the Euro 2000 final. That's it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why would I say what isn't true? There's more than enough video evidence of Michel Platini for me or anyone to make an informed decision. I don't have to be born in 1950 to know that Pele is a footballing legend but Messi is clearly better.
Your posts have no objective opinion of Platini, only a case for Henry.

You may state there's video evidence of Platini; how much of it have you seen?

JPRouve

Scout
Neither was the guys you claim are better. Zidane and Desailly were there in 02 and 04. Trezeguet and Makelele and Thuram were there in 02 and 04 and 08. He has scored more goals in every major tournament than David Trezeguet. Good or bad. So for you to claim he wasn't a better goal scorer than Trezeguet is beyond laughable. Trezeguet is only remembered fondly because he scored the extra time winner in the Euro 2000 final. That's it.
For France Trezeguet was a better goalscorer, you do realize that it is quantified? And are you genuinely going to argue that Zidane, Thuram, Desailly, Lizarazu and Vieira weren't better for France? Henry was for France in the same bracket than the likes of Trézéguet, Pirès, Makélélé, Djorkaeff or Wiltord good players but support players, none of them have a claim to be high in a ranking that concerns performances for the national team.

Henry was a great player but not for France.