Is Mou still 'The Special One' for you all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSingh2002

Jose will come good. Its bad luck we are drawing all those games in the PL.

I have faith in him. Just need to be a bit more clinical and hardened.

Granted we will only get three/four years out of him, but we will win things.
To believe it's bad luck is naive, even Mourinho himself would know its not bad luck. I'm sure he knows exactly what he needs to fix the issues we're experiencing and will put it right over the summer. I believe it's going to be another interesting summer for us. Could see him potentially strengthening in all of the following areas:

LB - Replace Shaw/Blind
CB - Replace Blind/Smalling/Jones
CDM - Replace Carrick
CM - Replace Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger
CAM - Replace Rooney
ST - Add a backup/Replace Zlatan
LW - Replace Depay/Martial

Don't believe the quiet summer nonsense... There's a reason why we signed nobody in January and also a reason why we signed Mina Raiola's clients last year. Jorge Mendes's clients were saved for if/when we reach the champions league (lessons learned from the Di Maria and Falcao fiascos). Everything is now resting on us getting into the champions league. Even if it means utlimately sacrificing one competition to qualify via the other. The end of this season is critical to our short and medium term success.

SuperiorXI

I think it's a mentality thing with these players, it's going to take more than a season to change. You can see based on the season overall, they lack that crucial extra level of determination to win but have that will to not lose.

Cliche Guevara

Yeah but isn't our manager's job to get the best out of his players?
Maybe he is. Too many of them just aren't doing the business.

The Sunderland game really brought it home for me: so easy, so dominant. We have two or three players with the whole pitch at their mercy, and they mess it up time and again.

Shuriken

I was fuming after the match yesterday, even though the result isn't that bad after all, over a two-legger, heading back to Old Trafford.

But yet again, we kind of forfeited a win, which is such a shame.

I defended Mou yesterday, or rather: I was mostly disappointed with Fellaini's lack of awareness on their equaliser, and also yet again frustrated seeing another big chance missed by Pogba this season, moments earlier, which would've put us up 0–2 and all but sealed this quarter-final. Nevertheless, shite happens and the manager should take note.

Considering his post-match comments though, not necessarily disagreeing with him, but to solely point to the sloppy attacking play, seems to me as another deflection of attention of the true issue, that we have no real plan going forward, no evident tactical idea in attack, no practiced plays, no rehearsed plans, no clear set up to score goals. We're also awful on set pieces. I can't even remember the last time we scored on a set play, like a corner. Leicester at Old Trafford, back in September, was it?

It's too reliant on individual quality. I'm all for managers boosting players' psychologically, however that in itself is not enough unless the players of right quality is at the manager's disposal, which we all know we don't quite have yet. Couple this all with a bit of post-LVG-syndrome evident in our play – I see it pretty much each and every match, there must be more off-the-ball movement to create attacking opportunities, right now it's a lot of standing still – and we could potentially still have problems next season as well.

If we don't see an improvement next season regarding results, Mou will be yet another managerial failure at United. Who then would we go after? Don't know, that's a tough one. But I'd at least keep tabs on Marco Silva (already, actually, just in case).

lysglimt

Scout
Maybe he is. Too many of them just aren't doing the business.

The Sunderland game really brought it home for me: so easy, so dominant. We have two or three players with the whole pitch at their mercy, and they mess it up time and again.
You don't believe that. 3-4 players don't just become a lot worse over the summer, especially when they are fairly young players. Mkhitaryan has been ok, but a shadow of the player he was at Dortmund. Smalling has been a lot worse, Martial and Rashford the same.

In the positive side - Rojo looks a lot better than last season - Herrera the same.

As for yesterday.....yes we were wasteful in front of goal, and we should have won the game easily. But when people describe it as a poor game, and we were crap etc.....NOT true. A lot of things were really good, we just don't score enough goals.

Cliche Guevara

Rashford and Martial weren't that good and are now under more pressure to deliver. Something they're both struggling with.

Mhki has always been inconsistent and I question his mentality to be a real winner. Smalling seems to have plateaued a while back.

buckooo1978

Mourinho didnt help himself with his subs and decision to sit back....can't understand the Fellaini introduction but not the first, second or third time it's happened.... he complains about a lack of cutting edge in the attacking players but they've been consistently unproductive- im not sure what he expects to get out of Lingard and Zlatan as usual has some lovely touches without really impacting

I think Mourinho might buy 3 attacking players this Summer to try and fix the issues we are having

at the same time he needs to stop being negative

Munich_1958

He said they are doing a better job than Mourinho is currently, and it's true. All their respective teams are playing better than we are atm.
No he said they are better coaches "nowadays", they cant just become better coaches while winning feckall over a coach who has been a serial winner except one blip last season, this season Mourinho can also end up with two domestic cups and a European cup ffs, yet some og the managers mentioned are also scraping to get into the top 4 and have won nought. Give it a rest

DellaNe

Supports
Chelsea
He definitely hasn't lived up to his tag as some tactical genius
He is a tactical genius when it comes to neutralizing opponents. But he isn't anywhere nearing a tactical genius when it comes to building an attacking philosophy and drilling it into his players with tactical work and preparation (transitions and quick counters- yes, he works on them). Some managers like Pep or Poc or Klopp or Conte are really good at teaching players their system and making them play it to perfection, others like Mourinho do not have a system to that degree, and often adjusts them to his opponents. The adjustments are often simple things like setting up the team to outnumber the opposition in some area or double marking or being rough on key players, or focusing on specific weaknesses of opponents (he often goes after aerial weaknesses). He is a tactical genius only when it comes to countering tactics and not in a broad meaning of the term. That's what I've always felt.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Seems opinion jerks from game to game, and yet nothing has changed since the last game. He is a top manager who does not currently have top resources in the attacking department. As soon as that is resolved in the summer, we'll see top results and win some top competitions. And that will make all the top reds like me very happy.

prtk0811

Nonsense. What ground work? He inherited the team completely devoid of any confidence after the disastrous 2015-16 season and they were struggling early in the season (0-3 vs Arsenal, 1-2 vs Liverpool) when he tried to stick with the old Jose formation. The team has turned into a winning machine only after Conte decided to try a completely different system to the one Jose
employed at Chelsea.

As for players, out of the current first eleven that virtually start every match only Costa and Matic were bought by Jose. Apart from Kante, Conte didn't get any of the players he wanted in the summer. Alonso and Luiz were last minute panic buys, fourth or fifth options down the list. People here were laughing at it and salivating over Pogba and Zlatan and everyone was betting on the title battle between two Manchester clubs "under the world's two best managers". Even Chelsea fans were quietly hoping to get back into the top four, at best.

Also, United squad may have defficiencies but it's still one of the best, and along with City's, one of the two deepest squads in the league. Truth is, Mourinho has failed to get the best out of that group of players this season, they're better than what we see on a pitch on a weekly basis.
You misunderstood What i have mentioned. Jose Mourinho bought costa, matic , Pedro,willian and fabregas at chelsea and deployed a right playing philosophy in the team, one which is useful for high speed defense to offense transition in a defensive block in the midfeild with matic and direct counter attacking way to play against teams who come to sit deep and counter attack themselves , without Posession based principles of passing sideways and backwards to keep control of the ball. His system did not suit the strenghts of the full backs and attacking wide players as it requires a lot of work rate and off the ball dynamics but the core philosophy of the team was the right one which jose built. Last season's blunders were down to the fact that you full backs were really vunrable and the wingers could not adapt to high work rate requited in a 4231 system where thr wingers also have to be defensively good joining the defense when the opposition fullback is overlapping and at the same time making off the ball attacking runs in attack which demands a lot from players physically.

Conte just adapted to the strenghts of your players in a system that freed the attacking players of their defensive duties and added kante who along with matic improved the defensive block even more so when the opposition attacks your cdms can win the ball back in midfeild and the attacking players can counter. Conte has not changed the core philosophy of the team , its the same as jose's. He just adapted to the strenghts and improved the attacking defensive balance. When your team fails to break the defense and find a goal you have fabregas on the bench to be deployed in midfeild so that he provides the passing range and take risks on the ball in passing to bring better passing and creativity to break the defense.

To win the epl you need consistancy in this league agasint smaller sides who park the bus and play for a draw and counter when they win the ball so counter attacking philosophy isvery important to break those defenses because chelsea dont care about the ball posession much asthey have good attacking players who can carry the ball from defense to attack.

Lvg Pep and klopp at liverpool all played or are playing the posession based game and it forces the teams to defend deeper and deeper so the teams fails to break them , while klopp has more mobile players who have a veryhigh work rate in offense defense transition so they look better in attacking wise as they do what is required in attack but still sideways passing holds them back

Jose has inherited a lvg team here who can not defend well when they let other teams have the ball so united squad has to have more of the ball , so our defense and midfeild are playing great defensively but offensively they are still stuck in back ward passing and side ward passing in the final third as they also lack the work rate and vision due to lvg's coached systemand their strenghs which are different to what the jose's tactcal demands whats off them. Our midfeild like fellani is of no use either in defensive or offensive way while carrick is 35 who cant play every game , Pogna needs a 3 man midfeild to shine and herrera is the only one good but still lacks vision and attacking passing vision.

Fracture90

When he won the treble with Inter in 2010, he was the best manager in the world, narrowly ahead of Pep and Ancelotti.

Nowadays there are plenty of managers that are doing a better job than him. Conte, Klopp, Pochettino, Simeone, Sampaoli and so on are all doing better than Mourinho with the limitted resources and players they have.

In that sense, he's not special anymore.
No he said they are better coaches "nowadays", they cant just become better coaches while winning feckall over a coach who has been a serial winner except one blip last season, this season Mourinho can also end up with two domestic cups and a European cup ffs, yet some og the managers mentioned are also scraping to get into the top 4 and have won nought. Give it a rest
I suggest you read that again.

DellaNe

Supports
Chelsea
To win the epl you need consistancy in this league agasint smaller sides who park the bus and play for a draw and counter when they win the ball so counter attacking philosophy isvery important to break those defenses because chelsea dont care about the ball posession much asthey have good attacking players who can carry the ball from defense to attack.
That statement makes no sense. How is counter attacking strategy important to breaking parked buses? Parking buses, by definition, involves giving up possession. As a result, if we are playing one of these teams, we'll have more possession.

Fracture90

excluding Conte and Simeone, you tell me then how the rest are doing a better job when he is bringing in silverware and major honours except last season, please explain!
Still no words of them being better managers than Mourinho.

You gonna spin this around until you find some angle that suits you.

Rest of them have their teams playing good football for starters.

And again, there was no talk of him not winning anything (he won that League Cup) the matter at hand is that the other managers have their teams playing better football.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I think it is quite evident United players do not give their life on the pitch for the manager, there is no unit or sense of superior purpose as a unit, Jose created this at Porto, Chelsea I and Inter. Add to this an odd number of intelligent sitting ducks players with limited pace in key positions and an odd number of pacey players with limited overall quality and you have an explanation for a solid, composed defence with an inconsistent, sterile attack aka lots of 1-1 and 0-0.

Munich_1958

Still no words of them being better managers than Mourinho.

You gonna spin this around until you find some angle that suits you.

Rest of them have their teams playing good football for starters.

And again, there was no talk of him not winning anything (he won that League Cup) the matter at hand is that the other managers have their teams playing better football.
I see what you mean Brendan Rodgers has Celtic playing better attractive football so he is a better manager too, got you now sorry my bad

prtk0811

That statement makes no sense. How is counter attacking strategy important to breaking parked buses? Parking buses, by definition, involves giving up possession. As a result, if we are playing one of these teams, we'll have more possession.
Counter attacking means your attacking transition going forward to the goal is faster than the opponents defensive transition, the more time you take to get to the opponents goal the less space you'll have in the final third and the defense of the opposition will be already set positionally to deny you space and time to take a clear shot at goal. So generally To counter attack a team needs to play direct vertical passes going forward as even sideways passing increases the time a team takes to get to opponents box with the ball. So Time is a key factor here to catch the oppositions defense out of position and set panic and confusion among the opponents defense. In Vertical direct passing and counter attacking tactics there is always a risk to loose the ball by the attackers and the defensive block in the midfeild stays positionally aware to win the ball back in midfeild itself.

A Posession based stategy is designed to keep hold of the ball without any risks of loosing the ball so there is lots of side ways and back wards passing which results in increasing the time you take to get to the opponents goal and thus the opposition defense is already set to counter the threat the block the shot on goal or the final pass , thus against deep defending teams there is always a possibility of dropping points in a draw or if the ball is not won back there is also a possibility of getting countered via long balls and counter attacking direct passes where lower epl teams are good at.

That's why Counter attacking is more useful in breaking deeper defenses as it reduces the time the opposition defenses get to set positionally.

Sir alex ferguson never had any problems against bus parking teams in epl because he adapted he normally dint holdthe ball much and played direct counter attacking football going forward so his teams were more consistant in winning than rest of the other challengers where they would drop points in draws, something Arsene wenger struggles with for more than a decade but still never learns.

prtk0811

I think it is quite evident United players do not give their life on the pitch for the manager, there is no unit or sense of superior purpose as a unit, Jose created this at Porto, Chelsea I and Inter. Add to this an odd number of intelligent sitting ducks players with limited pace in key positions and an odd number of pacey players with limited overall quality and you have an explanation for a solid, composed defence with an inconsistent, sterile attack aka lots of 1-1 and 0-0.
You expect Fellani to give his life on the pitch? or a 35 year old carrick or a 35 year old zlata or Slow sluggish rooney? Lingard does not have the energy accelaration work rate to give his life on the pitch while both martial and rashford are very young. There is an issue with the fitness and athleticism in forward players and lack of energy in midfeild with carrick and fellani to can burst forward when needed. therefore it dire

prtk0811

To believe it's bad luck is naive, even Mourinho himself would know its not bad luck. I'm sure he knows exactly what he needs to fix the issues we're experiencing and will put it right over the summer. I believe it's going to be another interesting summer for us. Could see him potentially strengthening in all of the following areas:

LB - Replace Shaw/Blind
CB - Replace Blind/Smalling/Jones
CDM - Replace Carrick
CM - Replace Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger
CAM - Replace Rooney
ST - Add a backup/Replace Zlatan
LW - Replace Depay/Martial

Don't believe the quiet summer nonsense... There's a reason why we signed nobody in January and also a reason why we signed Mina Raiola's clients last year. Jorge Mendes's clients were saved for if/when we reach the champions league (lessons learned from the Di Maria and Falcao fiascos). Everything is now resting on us getting into the champions league. Even if it means utlimately sacrificing one competition to qualify via the other. The end of this season is critical to our short and medium term success.
:D We are not selling 7 players in the summer.

Touseef

He is the best United could have gone for and for me he is special. He's just going through a slight lean patch and I hope we persist with him for 2-3 seasons. He does get irritating with the constant whining but the results will come soon. There will always be hipster managers who shine through for 2-3 seasons and then fade into the wilderness.

In terms of silverware, there is no manager currently (bar Ancelotti) who comes close to him. He has been at the very top for over a decade and you cant do that without being Special.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Still the best coach in the world IMO.

The fortunes will ebb and flow such is the PL top six. Next year we will have a different winner. Lets hope it is us.

Dobbs

He's won the League cup, you can't start adding in the possible success from other competitions. By that rational let's include the EPL for Pochettino.

All debate about who is doing better has to consider size of club, money spent etc. With that context there's enough to say other managers are doing better.

sugar_kane

If you ignore the disastrous 2015/16 season Jose's track record is still astonishing, and people often seem to forget what he's achieved in a fairly short career.

He's won 8 league titles, 3 major European trophies and domestic cups in every country he's managed in. This includes winning the league for Chelsea for the first time in 50 years - and is responsible for 3 of their 4 Premier League trophies (5 if you want to count this season), and is the only manager to win La Liga for Real Madrid since 2008 - his team still hold the most La Liga goals scored record from that season as well as becoming the first La Liga manager to get 100 points and breaking records for total away wins and overall wins.

He then came back to Chelsea and won the league again within two seasons - after Chelsea with all Abramovich's money had only been able to deliver the league once in his six year absence

He's already won us the League Cup - the first United manager to win a trophy in his first season. If he wins us the Europa as well then I think he's more than proved he's still got the magic touch even if we've been very inconsistent in the league.

Next season will answer the question with authority if he's still an elite manager, but I'd honestly compare this season to his return season at Chelsea - we're only lower in the league because the competition is much stronger and we're still suffering from the post-Fergie hangover.

I think as fans we're anxious about him having 'lost it' due to what we suffered under Van Gaal - a man who previously had achieved great things in his career.

For me there is one crucial difference between the two and that is that Van Gaal was a stubborn idealist who refused to move with the times and would rather lose and play his way than win the wrong way. Mourinho is a pragmatist and only wants to win - that is exactly who we need right now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If you ignore the disastrous 2015/16 season Jose's track record is still astonishing, and people often seem to forget what he's achieved in a fairly short career.

He's won 8 league titles, 3 major European trophies and domestic cups in every country he's managed in. This includes winning the league for Chelsea for the first time in 50 years - and is responsible for 3 of their 4 Premier League trophies (5 if you want to count this season), and is the only manager to win La Liga for Real Madrid since 2008 - his team still hold the most La Liga goals scored record from that season as well as becoming the first La Liga manager to get 100 points and breaking records for total away wins and overall wins.

He then came back to Chelsea and won the league again within two seasons - after Chelsea with all Abramovich's money had only been able to deliver the league once in his six year absence

He's already won us the League Cup - the first United manager to win a trophy in his first season. If he wins us the Europa as well then I think he's more than proved he's still got the magic touch even if we've been very inconsistent in the league.

Next season will answer the question with authority if he's still an elite manager, but I'd honestly compare this season to his return season at Chelsea - we're only lower in the league because the competition is much stronger and we're still suffering from the post-Fergie hangover.

I think as fans we're anxious about him having 'lost it' due to what we suffered under Van Gaal - a man who previously had achieved great things in his career.

For me there is one crucial difference between the two and that is that Van Gaal was a stubborn idealist who refused to move with the times and would rather lose and play his way than win the wrong way. Mourinho is a pragmatist and only wants to win - that is exactly who we need right now.
Great Post.

Edit: I would also add that his treble with Inter Milan and especially when he beat that great Barcelona team, will go down as one of the greatest sporting achievements of all time.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
His best days are behind him, of that i am convinced. Inter and Chelsea were his "prime" if you get me. His first 2 seasons in England he was a winning machine, now he just seems I duno, not outdated, but like he has been sussed out. Managers no longer have that defeated mentality when they face him now, they actually believe they'll beat him
His Chelsea team of 2014-15 was as ruthless as his Chelsea of 04-06. It was only two seasons ago that he won Premier League at a canter. I think this will be his only two-year window without a title. Maybe he had that at Real Madrid but I don't remember.

Sentient Meat

Good post. Regarding Conte I admit I'm quite surprised he managed to get his players playing as a single unit, getting the very best and absolute maximum out of them.

But than again he managed to do the same with Juventus and Italy in recent past.

At the beginning of the season I had Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool as the top dogs, mostly due to the fact their managers had the time needed to implement their style and philosophy into the team. That and City and Chelsea having managers that are new to the EPL.

Regarding expectations I had from Mourinho, I was greatly reserved because of his style of football and the fact he was sacked from Chelsea and whole Madrid drama.

Personally it was Pochettino, Klopp and Ancelotti for me, tho I was willing to give Blanc a chance since he played for us and he played nice attacking football with Bordeaux and PSG.
I think the top 6 teams (actually if Koeman keeps Lukaku maybe even 7) are going to be virtually interchangeable over the next few years... which sucks if you want your team to be dominant but great for the neutral or fans of football in general. This is why it is important to keep a top manager because in my opinion the premiership will be the center of the football universe over the next five years. Not because they have the best players, but because they have the best coaches and hopefully over time this will eventually attract the players. I realize we haven't had much success in Champions League recently, but I'd also argue that the Madrids, Barcelona, Bayern, Juve, PSG all have the luxury of relaxing during league play so they can focus on CL. Right now, they do have the best players but if we can keep these managers it will only be a matter of time before many of them start migrating to England.

I like your choices for manager although I feel Blanc would be on the Van Gaal level rather than Mourinho's... Not saying he couldn't be successful but he seems not quite at the same level as the others. I would have said the same of Pochettino and Koeman at the beginning of the year but I think they are evolving into top managers.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
@Sentient Meat To be honest I think the opposite is true for EU players and coaches, Brexit going to dent the PL appeal imho because of the burden with work permits and the perceived hostility towards non-British heritage.

Fracture90

I think the top 6 teams (actually if Koeman keeps Lukaku maybe even 7) are going to be virtually interchangeable over the next few years... which sucks if you want your team to be dominant but great for the neutral or fans of football in general. This is why it is important to keep a top manager because in my opinion the premiership will be the center of the football universe over the next five years. Not because they have the best players, but because they have the best coaches and hopefully over time this will eventually attract the players. I realize we haven't had much success in Champions League recently, but I'd also argue that the Madrids, Barcelona, Bayern, Juve, PSG all have the luxury of relaxing during league play so they can focus on CL. Right now, they do have the best players but if we can keep these managers it will only be a matter of time before many of them start migrating to England.

I like your choices for manager although I feel Blanc would be on the Van Gaal level rather than Mourinho's... Not saying he couldn't be successful but he seems not quite at the same level as the others. I would have said the same of Pochettino and Koeman at the beginning of the year but I think they are evolving into top managers.
Exactly what I was thinking. There won't be just one team that's dominating for years. Truth be told it's kinda been like that already since 2010/11.

Agree with keeping the manager, at least for 2 years but he needs to adapt as well, needs to change some things in his approach and management of the team.

Dunno why but I felt Blanc would be a good fit due to his history with the club and the way he managed Bordeaux and PSG.

Koeman was a good shout but he already had plans with Everton so he wasn't really an option.

Money in EPL is a game changer, it's what sets it apart from the other leagues. EPL has no tactical prowess of Calcio or technique of La Liga, nor the speed of Bundesliga...but has that crazy tempo and competitiveness.

Sentient Meat

@Sentient Meat To be honest I think the opposite is true for EU players and coaches, Brexit going to dent the PL appeal imho because of the burden with work permits and the perceived hostility towards non-British heritage.
I see your point, but can you actually name a world class player who's expressed this sentiment in the press? Maybe it will play some small factor, but I still think the chance to play for a top manager for top money against the best competition would ultimately be the main draw.

Reactions: Penna

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
From a neutral perspective I think he's probably the best coach in the world.
He's not my favourite in terms of style, I prefer a few other coaches approach to football, but I still rate Mourinho above them in terms of efficiency.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Our mentality still needs improving, but it's definitely improved under Jose and with Zlatan joining. I can only think of Mata and Zlatan as those slower players you might refer to. And we've got pacey players who aren't that limited either. Martial and Rashford are very good players. Mhki is extremely talented and speedy.

I think our lack of goals is down to many factors, but wouldn't really lay the blame at a few players with quality but no pace, and a few players with pace but not enough quality. It is a team that needs gelling and a clear identity. We do not pass it quickly enough, we do not create enough options for the man on the ball, and yes, we lack that dominator mentality. I'd also add confidence and luck play a big part.

Next season is when Jose will have his team.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

This is exactly what will happen. If we make the Champions League every year for the next four years and win one PL, we will be doing well.

AlwaysRed66

The league is getting more competitive each season, & the teams that will have an advantage each season will be the ones who miss out on European football, like Chelsea & Liverpool this season. If we don't reach the Champions League next season, we will have the wooden spoon of the Europa League again, which will certainly damage our league chances. Might be good news for Arsenal if they miss out, with everyone else dragged down with additional matches.

dichinero

Exactly what I was thinking. There won't be just one team that's dominating for years. Truth be told it's kinda been like that already since 2010/11.

Agree with keeping the manager, at least for 2 years but he needs to adapt as well, needs to change some things in his approach and management of the team.

Dunno why but I felt Blanc would be a good fit due to his history with the club and the way he managed Bordeaux and PSG.

Koeman was a good shout but he already had plans with Everton so he wasn't really an option.

Money in EPL is a game changer, it's what sets it apart from the other leagues. EPL has no tactical prowess of Calcio or technique of La Liga, nor the speed of Bundesliga...but has that crazy tempo and competitiveness.
100%. If he doesn't change success is only going to come by over spending, which to be honest doesn't make him that special anymore, for me at least.

Peanut Butter

100%. If he doesn't change success is only going to come by over spending, which to be honest doesn't make him that special anymore, for me at least.
So Conte and Pep won't spend huge amounts of money as well in the summer?!

Of course they will. Some of our own 'fans' just love a dig at Jose.

Koeman would have been a good candidate, feck sake, based on what?! Flavour of the month managers I call them. Remember when some Utd fans welcomed the idea of Martin O Neill as boss when Fergie stepped down?! Jesus wept, be careful what you wish for.

After Van Gaal, we went for a manager with a CV full of title (including Premier League) and European Cup wins. He is going to need to spend cash to get us winning stuff again because the squad left behind was simply not up to standard.

Some of you are never, ever happy.

getupkid

So Conte and Pep won't spend huge amounts of money as well in the summer?!

Of course they will. Some of our own 'fans' just love a dig at Jose.

Koeman would have been a good candidate, feck sake, based on what?! Flavour of the month managers I call them. Remember when some Utd fans welcomed the idea of Martin O Neill as boss when Fergie stepped down?! Jesus wept, be careful what you wish for.

After Van Gaal, we went for a manager with a CV full of title (including Premier League) and European Cup wins. He is going to need to spend cash to get us winning stuff again because the squad left behind was simply not up to standard.

Some of you are never, ever happy.
Two things which grate because they are incredibly lazy are a) the idea that because Mourinho had a CV full of trophies appointing him was a no brainer, and b) that the squad left behind was "simply not up to standard".

Lets start with Mourinho and his CV. I appreciate that he has a glittering array of trophies, however the reality is so does Fabio Capello yet by the time he was England manager he was no longer fit for purpose. Some would argue he had long before that passed his best. The point is simply that a CV alone isn't the way you judge whether a manager is the right appointment. You look at the make up of the squad you have, what their needs will be, what kind of football you want to play, what kind representation the new manager will be for the club, how they will evolve the club, what their past tells you about what their limitations may be.

With Mourinho it was clear that although he passed the "CV" test, he failed every other one when it came to choosing a United manager. Style of play? None existent. Worst still, he's a reactive manager who simply waits for the opponents to make mistakes whilst setting his own team up to minimise risk and the mistakes they make. The antithesis of both United and of our greatest ever manager.

How did he fit with the make up of the squad? Not very well at all. Even a cursory bit of research would've shown that far from being the 'youth' promoter that Mourinho has tried to paint himself as, he's the death knell for the careers of most young players when he arrives at a club. At United it's no different. Fosu-Mensah? Looked good enough to be a PL footballer. Not anymore. Rashford? Burnt out mentally and physically and ZERO progress in his actual play. Martial? Gone backwards. Shaw? Pretty clear what's happened there. So where are the young players flourishing pointing the way for the rest of the kids we hope to recruit and develop? In the meantime what are we doing. Buying READY MADE ESTABLISHED players and blocking the development of our best young players because we have a coach who can't coach them to improve.

So lets talk about this squad of ours that's "not up to standard". Frankly, that's such a disgraceful comment I'm staggered quite so many of our supporters blindly parrot it. It's the scars of successive underperforming managers obfuscating the truth. The fact is even before the influx of Mourinho players last summer our squad was superior to that of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Both in terms of depth and quality. That's why we were so furious with LVG and Moyes, because they were UNDERPERFORMING. Yet now suddenly with another 200 million spent on players and this coach who's meant to be proven and the best, we're suddenly devoid of quality players. Frankly it's bollocks.

Time to stop making excuses for Mourinho. He has had a shit season at best, and winning the Europa league having beaten nobody of literally any worth will not paper over that. Next season if we don't challenge for the title the man should be sacked. If he isn't it'll just reinforce what shabbily run club we are becoming from top to bottom.

Reactions: Penna

cheeky_backheel

Two things which grate because they are incredibly lazy are a) the idea that because Mourinho had a CV full of trophies appointing him was a no brainer, and b) that the squad left behind was "simply not up to standard".

Lets start with Mourinho and his CV. I appreciate that he has a glittering array of trophies, however the reality is so does Fabio Capello yet by the time he was England manager he was no longer fit for purpose. Some would argue he had long before that passed his best. The point is simply that a CV alone isn't the way you judge whether a manager is the right appointment. You look at the make up of the squad you have, what their needs will be, what kind of football you want to play, what kind representation the new manager will be for the club, how they will evolve the club, what their past tells you about what their limitations may be.

With Mourinho it was clear that although he passed the "CV" test, he failed every other one when it came to choosing a United manager. Style of play? None existent. Worst still, he's a reactive manager who simply waits for the opponents to make mistakes whilst setting his own team up to minimise risk and the mistakes they make. The antithesis of both United and of our greatest ever manager.

How did he fit with the make up of the squad? Not very well at all. Even a cursory bit of research would've shown that far from being the 'youth' promoter that Mourinho has tried to paint himself as, he's the death knell for the careers of most young players when he arrives at a club. At United it's no different. Fosu-Mensah? Looked good enough to be a PL footballer. Not anymore. Rashford? Burnt out mentally and physically and ZERO progress in his actual play. Martial? Gone backwards. Shaw? Pretty clear what's happened there. So where are the young players flourishing pointing the way for the rest of the kids we hope to recruit and develop? In the meantime what are we doing. Buying READY MADE ESTABLISHED players and blocking the development of our best young players because we have a coach who can't coach them to improve.

So lets talk about this squad of ours that's "not up to standard". Frankly, that's such a disgraceful comment I'm staggered quite so many of our supporters blindly parrot it. It's the scars of successive underperforming managers obfuscating the truth. The fact is even before the influx of Mourinho players last summer our squad was superior to that of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Both in terms of depth and quality. That's why we were so furious with LVG and Moyes, because they were UNDERPERFORMING. Yet now suddenly with another 200 million spent on players and this coach who's meant to be proven and the best, we're suddenly devoid of quality players. Frankly it's bollocks.

Time to stop making excuses for Mourinho. He has had a shit season at best, and winning the Europa league having beaten nobody of literally any worth will not paper over that. Next season if we don't challenge for the title the man should be sacked. If he isn't it'll just reinforce what shabbily run club we are becoming from top to bottom.
and if Mourinho wins the league next season, will you eat the humble pie, admit you were wrong and apologize?

Martial went through a divorce - I doubt any coach could get much out of him until he sorted out his personal issues.

Comments by Shaw himself debunks your claims http://www.espnfc.us/manchester-uni...-shaw-i-told-jose-mourinho-id-prove-him-wrong.

Rashford has been getting significant minutes, and if he was more clinical with his opportunities, would likely be in th conversation with Mbappe

You cannot expect a coach to transform a club without bringing in players that would help him implement his ideas. Mourinho spent £150m on Pogba, Mikhi ans Bailly, while Conte also spent £120m on Kante, David Luiz, Alonso and Batshuayi. Keep in mind that Conte inherited a much better squad than Mourinho did and I dont see the youth players he is developing. Spurs have young players, but they havent won anything since Poch took over

If you want to develop a team around teenage players, then be prepared to wait 4-7yrs trophyless for them to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.