Is next season make or break for Martial?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
After a fantastic debut season, it's been glimpses of brilliance mixed with long periods of mediocrity from Anthony Martial in his United career so far. Remarkably, next season will be his 5th as a United player, could it be a make or break season for him? I am a big fan of him when he's on form, but I feel like he's been living off that first season and potential for a while now.

Back in 15/16 it looked like we had the player Mbappe would later become, its quite disappointing the way it's turned out for him really. The change of managers surely hasn't helped him, but he really needs to find consistency next season or I think we should look to move him on.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Depending how the season goes we could have yet another manager in 12 months time and then they'll give Martial another full season under them to prove himself :rolleyes:

In a normal world though yes he should be on last chance saloon territory now

Canagel

If deployed at 9 and given 9 shirt he'll be like new signing. Everything else is waste of time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If deployed at 9 and given 9 shirt he'll be like new signing. Everything else is waste of time.
I've seen a few people making a big deal out of the shirt number. I don't see how going from 11 to 9 is going to give him more consistency and higher workrate, but if Lukaku leaves, feck it, just give it him. It'll either dispel this weird myth or it'll work in our favour, and be like a new signing as you said.

Shark

@NotShark
He's got to be given a good chance as a striker, as that's what he was originally signed for, had some great games up top and then was shoved out wide by LVG.

Silas

Considering how much he'd cost due to his wages and newly signed contract, I don't think so.

Kag

He needs to up his game, yes. He was actually good throughout the Mourinho debacle (one of few that kept him in a job longer than he deserved, albeit often forgotten). But from about March onwards he, like the rest of the squad, tailed off badly.

I still believe that Martial can be one of the very best, but he needs to deliver on that ability next season, otherwise he will just... exist. We need to play him closer to goal, mind you. If Ole gets the attacking aspects of our football right then Martial is going to score goals.

We’ll have to wait and see.

Inter Yer Nan

I thought last year was that for him and he regressed further. Hopefully he can show the same character and ability he had in his debut season but I have strong doubts.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Can he really be that weak mentally that the number on the back of his shirt affects his performances? Do we really want a player like that?

Canagel

I've seen a few people making a big deal out of the shirt number. I don't see how going from 11 to 9 is going to give him more consistency and higher workrate, but if Lukaku leaves, feck it, just give it him. It'll either dispel this weird myth or it'll work in our favour, and be like a new signing as you said.
The number first shows how important you are and second 11 is a wingers number not strikers. If Martial wants to be viewed like a striker (which he is) he should retake his number 9 that was first taken off and given to Ibra and then Lukaku- indicating clear second fiddle status.

Art Vandelay

It should be.

If only he had a different number on his back he'd not only move off the ball, but he'd shoot rainbows out of his arse while he's doing it.

Hawks2008

It should but it won't be, as far as I'm concerned none of our forwards are irreplaceable. Whoever doesn't show their worth this season should be shown the door.

Shimo

At this point, if something doesn't click in him mentally, think he'll be done here and for him to having a chance at any top club. The talent is there but, he absolutely has to marry it with huge amount of fight and desire on the pitch. He's going to be a starter, OGS will play the youngsters - so if he doesn't perform and fight for his place, it's down to him.

Canagel

Can he really be that weak mentally that the number on the back of his shirt affects his performances? Do we really want a player like that?
It's nothing to do with weak mentality players always prefer specific number.

Krisbijoy

Remember Valencia's #7 problems that he had to go back to 25 ? There's pressure associated with these squad numbers mainly due to the club's status and also the world beaters who adorned them previously.

That aside, he really needs to add some more dimensions to his game than just dribbling at players if he is to progress , be it as striker or winger.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It should but it won't be either way due to his new contract.

Let's be honest though - there's a fecking top player in there. He needs to shape up and Ole needs to get the best out of him.

Frustrating as feck.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I doubt it, he's just signed a new contract on a really hefty wage. I mentioned it in the Rashford thread but if Martial turns out to be shite we'll have a real struggle moving him on anywhere. It's still a very important season for him though, since LvG he's not had a full season consistently starting week in week out for various reasons, now he's going to have the chance for a full season with him as the first choice.

He'll be 24 in December, it's about this age we really need to see him iron out the flaws in his game (most importantly his movement). Another small issue I've noticed is that he seems to pick up a lot of niggling injuries that keep him out between 1-3 games which can disrupt his flow. This'll be our most important preseason in a long time, Solskjaer needs to get their fitness up to a suitable level so they're able to implement the high-pressing game he started off with. I still maintain that we'd see a marked improvement in all our front 6 if we actually had a goal threat down the right hand side.

Lennon

Sold next summer in my opinion after another lacklustre season. Probably to a German side.
This!!
I think he is a kind of Dortmund player

His body language is disgusting at times ... Give him 1 more season!
No breakthrough - sell him

Greck

The Glazer's own Pele. No. If all these seasons haven't been make or break for Jones, Young, Mata, Rojo then I'm guessing not. We aren't exactly known for ruthlessness

Varun

Staff
At 200k a week, it's make or break for us because he ain't going anywhere.

Rocknrolla69er

Sell him to juventus soon as they want him again

Mentally doesnt have the desire or application, too much too young id say, kills motivation

Id even flog him to spurs or enquire about a swap for Eriksen

Moriarty

This!!
I think he is a kind of Dortmund player

His body language is disgusting at times ... Give him 1 more season!
No breakthrough - sell him
Why not now? We can't afford to be giving all these chances to players. We need to be back in the groove quickly and the fewer passengers, the better.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
For his own sake, if he doesn't add more to his game than cutting in from the left and scoring the odd worldie, there's a real chance he'll just drift permanently into mediocrity.

Kostov

Should this be Martial's last season when we have shit like Lingard approaching 27 and stinking up the place? Nah. If we were run properly yeah I think this should be his last chance.

He'sRaldo

Unfortunately for Martial, he ended the season on a run of poor form which will obviously be highlighted more due to shortsightedness. For instance, Lindelof had pretty much the exact same season except he started poorly and ended well, yet he's been largely praised.

In any case, quite a few of the good wide forwards in football today didn't become consistent till around the age of 25/26, and most of them played in functional teams. I think he has a bit of time, about a year or two; however, his high wages work against him as there won't be much patience for such a high earner.

If he is eventually sold on, I could see him doing a Salah, as the talent is obviously there. Just needs the right coach and setup.

Reactions: nimic

Hughie77

I think it could well be make or break season for him? He's still young , but he needs to improve, with D James coming in could well need to put in some excellent games or this boy is going to take his place?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I thought last year was that for him and he regressed further. Hopefully he can show the same character and ability he had in his debut season but I have strong doubts.
Exactly my first thought when I read the thread title. How many make or break seasons can you have?

OverratedOpinion

Nah, we have seen that players have free license to stink the place out for years without being shown the door.

It just feels especially frustrating with Martial because he clearly has talent.

Fosu-Mens

At the club? No. Signed a new £200k+ per week contract less than 12 months ago. If he does not perform this season, i doubt we will be able to find suitors to pay his wages.

For the fans? Most likely. Needs to incorporate some elements to his game like workrate, attitude, link up play etc.

IrishRedDevil

Make or break for Martial? :lol:

When we have had the likes of Lingard, Young, Jones, Rojo, Darmian and Fellaini playing here for years :lol:

Take your face for a shite.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
no not really, he has a incredible contract now, which means we can't realy sell him becuase his wages are too high.

So if he fails next season he will get another chance the season after and the season after that........

Inter Yer Nan

Make or break for Martial? :lol:

When we have had the likes of Lingard, Young, Jones, Rojo, Darmian and Fellaini playing here for years :lol:

Take your face for a shite.
Well, his ceiling and expectation is higher. The best those players could have hoped for is squad player whereas Martial should be starting and playing a starring role somewhere given the talent and the hype.