Is Ole’s football really any better than José & LVG’s?

The Hilton

This match is the perfect example of the difference between Ole and Mou.

Ole has made a team full of absolute lions, we simply don't know when we're beaten under him, even when not playing well.

Mou has his team being cynical, constant diving and trying to gain any advantage outside of playing football, and everyone is so afraid of making a mistake they don't try much.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
At times the football has been dire and it's been hard to see any kind of cohesion or system. But under Jose and LVG - and Moyes - we didn't get any of the exciting runs that we've had under Ole. There are still times when we seem negative and cautious - maybe its a hard habit to break. If we didn't lose games we should win like Sheffield United etc - admittedly, earlier in the season - we might have been less aware of any failings. Overall, we are more like the United we know than at any time since Fergie retired.

Ludens the Red

I’ve said yes prior to this. This team is comfortably better going forward than the Van Gaal/Mourinho teams. A completely different mindset, often let down by lack of depth and quality which the club has to rectify in the summer.
It is personnel wise for sure, but doesn’t show it enough. Imagine we played that second half even as little as a dozen more times this season and this thread probably wouldn’t exist.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Was Ole's football better than Jose's ?

Well take a look at how Spurs set up. You can go on in press conferences about you have this attacking player and that attacking player but music to the eyes to see gifted, talented, entertaining players like Son, Kane playing football for the most part in their own half. Talented players, albeit mavericks like Dele Ali, not getting a sniff.

All the players called out from Jose had really good games today. Pogba, Shaw, Fred. Not just one good game, visibly consistently better for many games now.

So is Ole's football better, ask yourself this. Would you pay to watch Jose's Spurs? Because that is what he was serving up at Old Trafford.

KW2006

Mourinho and LVG's systems obviously didn't work. Ole's system is largely non-existent(apart from counter attacking). So the United teams under all three managers rely on individual brilliance. But the biggest difference is Ole can get the individuals to perform much more regularly.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we win our game in hand we go 8pts behind one of the great managers of all time managing a team backed by a sheikh.

Close this thread. It's embarrassing.

Marwood

Mourinho and LVG's systems obviously didn't work. Ole's system is largely non-existent(apart from counter attacking). So the United teams under all three managers rely on individual brilliance. But the biggest difference is Ole can get the individuals to perform much more regularly.
I always find this comment strange but after today even more so. Did we lack a system today? Did we beat them by counter attacking?

No of course not. I think we played them off the park. Which I believe is what Ole wants all the time.

He just needs three more players who can really look after the ball. What Fred did for the first goal was brilliant but that's a once a season type of thing with him. We need players who can do that consistently to really dominate teams again.

theklr

Counter attacking AND transition.

Its only against 10 men defending he is somewhat lacking in a system of play.

kidbob

:lol: :lol: How was this ever a fecking thread? Do you have amnesia and not remember the absolute shite we served under either? Oh but LVG made us win at Anfield before!! Go back and look at the game and how many saves De Gea had to make against a relatively shit Liverpool.

Under Ole we have dominated Leipzig, PSG in the first and most of the second CL games this year, no one else has done what we did to a very good Leeds team this year, Liverpool in the Cup, City multiple times (where it honestly looked like we were the only team that could beat them) and many, fecking many more.

I now you might not like Ole but don't pretend that things aren't better under him FFS. The players are happier the football is clearly better (but still not there consistently) and our results are better. You might want him out because you don't think he can bring us to the next level (I am willing to understand this ) but how fecking dare you pull down a club legend to the point that you rewrite history and ask if his football is as good as those two assholes.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ridiculous thread. Even the most fervent Ole outer would say his football is more entertaining than his three predecessors

el3mel

Second half today is what I want to see more regularly from us. More of this please. It was great.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Can we all agree that the premise of this thread is total bullshit?
It has great company though

We are an awfully coached team
We lack basic technique
Boring Boring Man United
Any thread designed to discuss Ole

OverratedOpinion

Ole has had about 30 games that were at the level of the 3 decently watchable games under LVG that saw us beat City 4-2.

I think Jose might have had one game of that level away at Chelsea.

paulscholes18

Ole has had about 30 games that were at the level of the 3 decently watchable games under LVG that saw us beat City 4-2.

I think Jose might have had one game of that level away at Chelsea.
I would say that was the perfect Jose performance defend well first and foremost and then take your chance when it comes, think it was 2 shots and two goals same with the 2-1 vs Liverpool with that crazy Bailly OG.

Why does it take a poor first half and more importantly being behind to get these good 2nd half’s, being 1-0 down was the best thing that could have happened to us yesterday I think if it was 0-0 it would have been more of the same in the 2nd half (games vs Arsenal, Chelsea, Home to City and Away to Palace being my evidence).

Gordon S

Think it is about player quality. When Paul and Eddie is in there and playing well as they did yesterday, they make a difference. Instead of a Dan James that is a bit out of his depth at this level and a Rashford who is playing through pain every game we got two players who performed at a very high level. Shows again just how talented Paul is and how much we need a natural striker in the team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Coaching wise no, tactically probably either but players are ready to go through a brick wall for him. That is essential in the making of a top modern manager

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
100%. The level of competitiveness in this team is phenomenal. The way we shift up gears relentlessly and outplay really good teams is similar to Fergie days. There’s no coincidence we’ve set a record for winning from behind this season.

Give this man a proper striker. We all see how complete Cavani makes this team

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
For the people saying DDG propped up the stats for LvG and Mourinho, could opponents argue back and claim that Bruno has propped up the stats for Ole?
Bruno
DDG
Henderson
Shaw
McTominay
Fred
Matic
Rashford
Martial
Bailly
Maguire
etcetera....

Have propped up Ole's stats since day 1.

I guess the point I'm making is: The players you have available matter.

Wewinsoon

Bruno
DDG
Henderson
Shaw
McTominay
Fred
Matic
Rashford
Martial
Bailly
Maguire
etcetera....

Have propped up Ole's stats since day 1.

I guess the point I'm making is: The players you have available matter.
Quite sure the players LvG and the angry man had were just as good, and did they not also spend more? I love that er can see the happyness that Ole bring in the whole club, instead of trying to total change us into something we Are not.

Suedesi

I think this United is remarakably similar to Jose's second season in terms of offensive and defensive output. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, and I'd argue we look better than under Jose, but then again we can produce really boring matches as well...

lysglimt

Scout
stats are similar because they have removed our most potent attacking weapon - the penalties :)

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think this United is remarakably similar to Jose's second season in terms of offensive and defensive output. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, and I'd argue we look better than under Jose, but then again we can produce really boring matches as well...

Metric2017/182020/21
Key Passes9.9710.6
Passes into final third34.837
Completed passes in opposition box9.7610.3
Progressive passes38.740.5
Touches in final third204.8211.6
Touches in opposition penalty box26.227.3
Successful dribbles10.610.6
Attempted dribbles16.918.1
Progressive distance carried13371408
carries into final third16.618.7
Carries into pen box5.034.61

The thing is Mou's side has been more efficient with ball, not more entertaining, but just more efficient and hence those stats look real good

Suedesi

This is another meaningful graph - it tracks the expected goals conceded (the red line) across a rolling 10-game average vs. the expected goals scored (the blue one). Notice when Mourinho was fired xG conceded > xG scored for a sustained period of games. Solskjaer has experienced problems too, but not for the same duration

tomaldinho1

This is another meaningful graph - it tracks the expected goals conceded (the red line) across a rolling 10-game average vs. the expected goals scored (the blue one). Notice when Mourinho was fired xG conceded > xG scored for a sustained period of games. Solskjaer has experienced problems too, but not for the same duration
Mou first season is such an anomaly for me, I remember we were looking so fluid and exciting in many games and yet we couldn't get top four - this graph would back up us being comfortably better than our opponents with xG/A in seemingly every single game.